University of California

Updated 7 August, 2014
3.7

University of California President Janet Napolitano
Janet Napolitano

Pros
  • amazing location, friendly staff, diverse opportunities, good benefits (in 6 reviews)

• Opportunity to work with many smart people and to make a difference in California; great benefits including a pension (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Parking sucks and it costs an arm and a leg and despite increasing student fees there always seems to be budget cuts around every corner (in 3 reviews)

• Low pay, relative to market levels (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

UC Irvine

Current Employee - Director  in  Irvine, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Irvine, CA (US)

I have been working at University of California full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good training, friendly atmosphere, organization tries to do the right thing

Cons

Financial challenges, cost cutting, impersonal when things are not going well

You've gotten to where you are for any number of reasons. Remember that your people below you are what matters, and it reflects on you directly. Don't spend all of your time trying to look good to those above you, your actions and the success of your employees will say more than you ever could.

Great place, great benefits, dysfunctional bureaucracy

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Santa Cruz, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Santa Cruz, CA (US)

I have been working at University of California full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It's a beautiful place, there are some amazing people, the benefits are good and if you work hard you stand out.

Cons

Restructuring often without learning much from previous experience, you can get stuck with some awful managers or co-workers.

Make sure that who you are hiring for the upper management are qualified and understand what they are doing before making sweeping changes. Be careful with your hiring and promotional practices, for such a liberal, experimental campus, women and minorities who speak out are still passed up for promotion and derided, while their white male counterparts are promoted.

Career Counselor Intern

Former Employee - Career Counselor  in  Berkeley, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Career Counselor in Berkeley, CA (US)

I worked at University of California as an intern for less than a year

Pros

-great environment
    -your opinion matters
    -staff development
    -motivated students
    -great leadership

Cons

-location is slightly off campus

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working for the world's greatest public university

I have been working at University of California full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As an alumna, I am proud to work for the world's greatest public education system. It is rewarding to know that my work is helping college students achieve their dreams!

Cons

HUGE bureaucracy. Red tape to the extreme. Very disjointed and full of employees who are counting down to retirement who honestly should have been fired years ago. Low pay for staff.

Increase morale and try to incorporate more fun into the workplace. Also, be receptive to new ways to do things.

Worked as a Graduate Teaching Assistant and a Graduate Student Researcher

Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher, Graduate Teaching Assistant
    Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher, Graduate Teaching Assistant

I have been working at University of California part-time

Pros

Enhanced my technical and networking skills, Increased my knowledge base, Learnt how to transfer valuable information to students in an effective manner

Cons

No major cons come to mind.

Great Opportunities for Students

I worked at University of California as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Great work environment and experience. Fellow co-workers are very kind and helpful. Superiors try to ensure good communication with you.

Cons

Didn't have any negative experience.

Review of University of California (Programmer Analyst)

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst

I have been working at University of California full-time for less than a year

Pros

Have opportunities to learn new acknowledges from the academic community.

Cons

It is a research position, we do some complex statistical analysis as well as algorithm design.

Graduate Student TA overall good job

I have been working at University of California

Pros

Flexible hours, pays for tuition, fees, and healthcare in addition to a living stipend.

Cons

The living stipend is the same or similar across all UC campuses. This means students at campuses such as Davis or Merced, where rent is cheaper, essentially get more than students at pricier locations such as San Diego or Santa Barbara.

Excellent University with a variety of programs and opportunity, should increase connectivity.

Current Employee - Student  in  Davis, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Student in Davis, CA (US)

I have been working at University of California full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good professors, Good programs, Good grading scale, alright job opportunities

Cons

Could have a better post grad network, Need to hire more phds, Too Eurocentric

More freedom for Professors to teach classes they want.

Don't be a student employee (or RA).

Current Employee - Resident Assistant  in  Berkeley, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Resident Assistant in Berkeley, CA (US)

I have been working at University of California full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work-study. Free room and board. Learning to cope with terrible situations daily.

Cons

Overworked, underpaid. As an RA for Berkeley (and a CS student) I have had minimal time to work on side projects. There is no pay, and I don't have time on top of this to get another job for expendable income. When the RAs tried to protest against management their response was to threaten to fire all of us. They treat the RAs as easily replaceable. It's not a good environment.

Worked for University of California? Contribute to the Community!