Unity Technologies Reviews

3.8
John Riccitiello
1 Rating

1. Growing Company with a Start-Up Feel

I have been working at Unity Technologies part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Being apart of leading gaming technology.

Cons

Lack of systematic processes - typical of a smallish company.

2. One of the best companies I have worked. Ability to openly communicate ideas and feedback creates dynamic culture

Current Employee - Sales Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing technology. Great culture. Dynamic environment. Hires some of the best people in the industry.

Cons

Benefits not on par with other companies in this industry

Advice to Management

As company grows make every effort to maintain the culture

3. Excellent company to work on when they where small, everyone knew everyone a really nice place to lear from people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Copenhagen (Denmark)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Copenhagen (Denmark)

I worked at Unity Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

really Flexible hours to work on, you can work from home if you want is really nice if you can self manage yourself if you ideas make sense then they are taken in consideration regardless the position you are at

Cons

you have to be careful with management, they can stab you in the back, but I guess that happens everywhere.

5. Comfortable company when you work and Leviathan when you leaves

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in Copenhagen (Denmark)
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in Copenhagen (Denmark)

I worked at Unity Technologies

Pros

Good work-life balance
    Free lunches
    Often trips in Europe
    A lot of cool people around

Cons

Management doesn't care about engineers
    No career growing
    Salary review no more then 3%
    Bad organisation

Advice to Management

Care about your engineers

6. Opportunities to do big things and grow your career.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Copenhagen (Denmark)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Copenhagen (Denmark)

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been full-time at Unity for a few years now. Unity is a great place to work when it comes to working with some of the most talented people and getting the opportunities to actually make a difference in something big. It's also a great place to grow your career (but you need to know where to look for the opportunities to do so and how to do it). Work-life balance is generally good. Employees generally seem to be happy overall and the Copenhagen office is full of employees who are friends outside of the office. There is (from what I can tell) a lot of respect for the engineering team and it seems this far along the company is still (mostly) an engineering and product-based company. It seems like working at Unity becomes part of your identity, which is cool. The culture is not the same as it was a few years ago, but I think that they have done a good job of maintaining what they could when the company has grown to 500 people.

Cons

Lack of software development experience/discipline from some senior people in R&D really shows when it comes to discipline and planning for R&D as a whole (this seems to be slowly getting better in some areas, but S...L...O...W...L...Y). Unity seems to have similar problems with planning and timeline as other big software organisations do (but they seem to be trying to take steps to improve the situation).

Benefits for Copenhagen office don't seem so good for Denmark. The pay seems below average for software companies in Copenhagen and the compensation paid out during time off for paternity/maternity leave is quite bad, IMO, certainly not as good as what many other private companies in Copenhagen offer.

Advice to Management

Remember to follow-through on pledges to make changes and keep remembering that good ideas can come from anywhere. Fix the organisation of your R&D teams (the Copenhagen part seems really well-organised into teams and responsibilities with a lead as a contact point, but the rest is a zoo). Keep valuing individuals and open-communication and most importantly stay an engineering and product-based company. Be careful about growing too fast.

Going Downhill, Culture is shot

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

pretty relaxed work environment, free (although subpar) lunches, casual dress.

Cons

Upper management does not stand behind their decisions and is not transparent about decision making at all. Culture has gone sharply downhill and they are not loyal to employees or try to foster changes they want made before letting someone go. Bottom line is they do not value their employees at all. It used to be like a family but has drastically changed in the last year. Upper management fraternizes/even dates people within their teams. Not appropriate!

Advice to Management

Learn to value your employees, be more transparent and you can maybe turn this ship around.

If you love Unity, work in the Denmark office.

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Unity Technologies as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The Copenhagen office is an excellent place for engineers to solve extremely hard problems and rub shoulders with some of the most talented 3D and games programmers in the world.

Cons

Unity the company is not always well organized in my experience. The different offices have very different cultures and specialties, so if you apply here, choose your office wisely.

Advice to Management

Cheers.

Perhaps the most interesting company in the video games industry.

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Absurdly intelligent people everywhere
    * Flat organizational hierarchy
    * Accessible upper management (even the CEO)
    * Carefully managed strong growth of core business
    * Thoughtful and patient investment in many other verticals

Cons

* Compensation packages are below market rate for San Francisco
    * No stock options except for upper management (though you can fight for them and win)
    * HR and accounting appear disorganized and underinvested in

Advice to Management

* Begin distributing equity to everyone, even if the amount isn't large. It's expected in San Francisco, but more importantly, it gives everyone a real sense of ownership.
    * Recruiting team is understaffed, and hiring process takes far too long

The best company I have worked for by a long shot.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England (UK)

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredibly friendly environment - It seems to be part of Unity's hiring policy that you can only get a job here if you are not only great at what you do, but are also a nice and friendly person. I can honestly say I have not met anyone here who I really don't get on with.
    Interesting work - The work I do is always interesting and varied. I couldn't ask to do something I wanted more really.
    Relaxed work ethic - I don't know if I speak for every team in the company (I think I do) but there is a feeling of get the work done and everything is okay. As a result time working is fairly flexible.
    Benefits - Occasionally my job calls for travel and this always makes for an interesting and pleasant experience. We also have perks such as Beer Fridays where in the afternoon on Fridays some beers are bought for us and we have a PS3 in the office for those that choose to use it.

Cons

Pay - I am paid enough to survive and be fairly comfortable. However, if I was to join another company doing a similar job, I'd probably be paid a little more.
    Benefits - As the company grows, the opportunity for travel lessens. It used to be that everyone in the company would attend the Unite company conference once a year but as of 2013 this is not the case any more. In fact, I believe less than a third of employees were able to attend this year. I understand this is a function of the company getting larger but nevertheless it is a benefit that is gradually being taken away. With regards to normal benefits such as pension, stock options and others. The UK office currently have none whereas the rest of the world do. This however is being rectified as we have been told we will be getting some benefits soon.

Advice to Management

I have written more in Cons than Pros. This is not an accurate reflection of how I feel about this company. It's an amazing company. My advice would be to make sure you are looking after your employees. Whilst I really love working here. If I ever want to get really serious about my future (having a pension, buying a house, etc) pay and benefits will become more important.

Unity offers no career growth, so don't expect any

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Unity Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most people are smart, fun and supportive

Cons

Sr. management is very self-centered and ambitious on a personal level, offering no support to their subordinates, and only interested in impressing each other.