UnitedHealth Group

2.9
2,264 Reviews

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some (in 270 reviews)

• Good work life balance if you are in development rather than support projects (in 145 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard as people are increasingly asked to do more with less (in 98 reviews)

• This company also does not offer their employees good health insurance (in 89 reviews)

More Highlights

The company hires great people, but they are not recognized for the hard work. Company has become too small.

Current Employee - CRA in Mississauga, ON
    Current Employee - CRA in Mississauga, ON

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Wonderful people to work with. Even in an overworked environment they help each other. Smart people that make this dept exist.

Cons

Too small, if you have one bad department everything falls apart and the bad people are protected. And resources are slim so over worked employees. Company not looking at the bad seeds.

Take care of your hard workers

In chaos lies job security...if you can deal with it.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Definitely the big kid on the block - which has pros and cons. Rapid growth through M&A in the last decade. Economies of scale are offset by integration challenges. Still - tons of opportunity here.

Cons

Benefits are awesome as long as you don't need them. Worst benefit package of any major matrix org I've been employed by. It's a slap in the face because their salaries are on the low side on top of it. Retention is a constant problem and it's not hard to understand why.

If you want good people to work their hearts out in this type of high-demand, high-stress environment - our compensation, benefits, and career development need to exist for real - not just in HR recruiting documents. There needs to be a much bigger carrot here. When the SEC filings are released every year and the world sees what UHG pays the CEO and upper management, they sucker-punch the rest of us who work harder than ever and in return are fed BS about how our division lost money. 1.8% annual pay increase isn't even covering the increases in benefits premiums we have to pay - and not touching the increases in out of pocket costs for those who aren't in perfect health. Walk the walk - that's my advice

Results driven

Current Employee - Nurse in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Nurse in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

The abilities to branch out within same corporate umbrella . The stock purchase , 401 K, competitive wages

Cons

The bureaucracy, being innovative is a good headliner but not much practice. Cooperate environment when subdinates quickly learn not to "question the way things have always been done " poor work life balance , stretching human capital, along with shortcuts to make the bottom line may back fire

Take some time to pay attention to what your employees write about in vital signs....they want to be successful but lack the support .

A Top Notch Company to work for

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Cypress, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Cypress, CA (US)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my 14 years of employment with UnitedHealth Group. The company does have very stringent standards and requires hard work and dedication to your job. They do reward you with above average compensation and benefits.

Cons

Work hours can be long and draining, but overtime is offered on a voluntary basis at times throughout the year and not always mandatory except during peak periods.

Making OT available on a voluntary basis throughout the year to avoid employee burnout.

Great experience with this company!

Current Employee - Clinical Administrative Coordinator in Las Vegas, NV (US)
    Current Employee - Clinical Administrative Coordinator in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

This is a great place to work! Benefits, pay is decent ROOM FOR GROWTH and just a positive enviroment Which brings a great peace of mind while at work!!!

Cons

No Cons......YET. lol Everyone gets along great here.

Nice place to work if you can stomach the ethics

Former Employee - Associate Director in Minnetonka, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Minnetonka, MN (US)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I'm a bit torn on which way this review should go. I had a lot of positive of experiences at UnitedHealth and was offered a lot of opportunities including merit based promotions. In my division at least, we looked internally for talent and promoted within. Work life balance was respected quite a bit as well. There were definitely 60+ hour weeks, but to offset that, it was not an issue to run out in the middle of the day for a school event or what not. Pay and benefits were on the average to slightly above side of things for the Minneapolis area. I also worked with a very talented group of people which is not always the norm at previous companies.

Cons

My main issue with UnitedHealth was their willingness to use someone up until they're done and toss them out. As a manager/director I went through a couple rounds of layoffs which seemed to be a good way to get rid of the squeaky wheel, not necessarily dead weight. Towards the end of my tenure I became that squeaky wheel because of the unethical work I saw going on and it was obvious I was on the way out.

I am not sure I am qualified to offer much advice to a juggernaut that is rolling along in the market. I would just encourage them to not just talk about a positive culture, but make sure it's happening.

Reviews for UHG from 2012-present become obsolete quickly. Here's why.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Sweeping changes improvements left and right, empowerment/education opportunities to those who seek them.

Cons

Not without their fair share of silly managers out of their depth as well as inefficiencies that would frustrate even the most patient of employees.

Just as it takes a very wise employee to cope with the rigors of sweeping changes day in and day out, your judgment on the performance of each employee must be equally wise. You have a difficult task which is easier said than done, I understand, I get it. But you can do it! just remember your job is to ensure everyone you supervise can do theirs easier.

Wonderful

Current Employee - Intern in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Intern in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

The benefits are very great.

Cons

There are not any cons

Keep up the good work

Challenging, fast-paced environment.

Current Employee - Flexible Service Advocate in Reno, NV (US)
    Current Employee - Flexible Service Advocate in Reno, NV (US)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Able to grow personally and professionally. UHG provides the resources and training to excel in life. If you're willing to put in the time and effort you can go far.

Cons

Pay could be better for entry level positions. High turnover rate because of the demanding nature of the job without adequate compensation.

Pay employees slightly above industry standard. Your employees will reciprocate with hard work and dedication.

UnitedHealth Group Photos