UnitedHealth Group Reviews

2.9
2,004 Reviews

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some (in 231 reviews)

• This company does strive for work/life balance with it's employees (in 121 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard as people are increasingly asked to do more with less (in 79 reviews)

• This company also does not offer their employees good health insurance (in 77 reviews)

More Highlights

The company hires great people, but they are not recognized for the hard work. Company has become too small.

Current Employee - CRA  in  Mississauga, ON
    Current Employee - CRA in Mississauga, ON

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Wonderful people to work with. Even in an overworked environment they help each other. Smart people that make this dept exist.

Cons

Too small, if you have one bad department everything falls apart and the bad people are protected. And resources are slim so over worked employees. Company not looking at the bad seeds.

Take care of your hard workers

About what you would expect. Meh.

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Advancement opportunities are there if you properly politic, brown-nose, and drink the kool-aid (must live in MN tho). If you are in a high demand area and like your direct upline, it is bearable.

Cons

You truly are just a number. The benefits are not what you would expect, and the raises are minimal. Record revenues =/= decent raises to employees. They use any possible upcoming negative to cry "Austerity!" when it comes to pay increases. Human Capital may as well be named Human Chattel. Offshoring is rapidly increasing, layoffs are becoming routing, but the the culture is changing! (to a culture of fear).

Stop changing the segment leadership so often. I am not sure what you think you gain from that. Stop wringing profits from the backs of your employees. Austerity should start from the top down.

Challenging, in a good way...

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative  in  Cypress, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Cypress, CA (US)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

They kept training me to do more and more platforms and skills. Learning to help members more and more in very difficult areas.

Cons

If it took longer than 2 minutes to help them, you would get a Verbal or written warning for your time metrics going up. There is just no way to give quality help in 120 seconds. I took my chances and gave quality help and was fired for my time metrics. I helped people fix problems that employees trying to beat the 2 minute time criteria created and helped a great many people. (members were finally able to get Chemo meds) TOTALLY WORTH IT. At the end of the day it isn't how fast you work, it's how many lives you touch.

Stop with the favoritism and time metrics and give some quality help, not fast help to the Members.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Job is ok. Management could use a good overhaul

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Hours are flexible. Able to work at your own pace

Cons

supervisors are cliquey and immature

Employees viewed as expendable

Current Employee - Business Operations Analyst  in  Lake Oswego, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Business Operations Analyst in Lake Oswego, OR (US)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Nation wide company, room for re-location if necessary. Co-workers dedicated to the customers

Cons

Company culture views employees and customers as expendable. Upper management and corporate heads disregard experience and high value asset employees in favor of board of director profits.

Loyalty is a two way street. You spend millions training new employees to spend less on salaries and dump experienced employees without the opportunity to advance themselves or transfer to other positions. You keep losing knowledge sets and money.

Innovative and Fun at Work Place

Current Employee - Senior Reporting Analyst  in  Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Reporting Analyst in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Personal life/ Professional Life Blance

Cons

the Opportunities in UHG are now stagnant no growth chances

Stable Company

Current Employee - Rework Specialist  in  Greensboro, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Rework Specialist in Greensboro, NC (US)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Ability to telecommute, flex schedules, good benefit packages

Cons

Quick to put people on performance warnings, difficulty moving from one department to another.

The stringent, computerized metric evaluations neglect to consider the employee as a whole.

Working at United Health Group

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Noida (India)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Noida (India)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

The work pressure is lesser as compared to other IT companies with all the in house projects and thus job security

Cons

The location of the noida office is too far to even travel by a cab. Apart from that I don't see any drawback.

Please upgrade the salaries of the new joinees and match the improving industry standards.

Rewarding work in a positive environment

Former Employee - Senior Technical Support Analyst  in  Minnetonka, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Support Analyst in Minnetonka, MN (US)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Immediate management was involved and understood what was going on. Resources were available to get your work done. Working hard and producing excellent results was rewarded. Lots of opportunities for career advancement.

Cons

The usual bureaucracy and red tape in a large company. Requests for some things took longer than they should have. PTO isn't paid out when you leave the company.

Not a bad place to work at

Current Employee - Process Engineer  in  Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

My boss was an awesome person, the team was also really great. The building was well maintained and it is easy to get along with anyone within the same team.
    It was a very flexible schedule which was awesome because you could come in as you pleased as long as you worked your 8hrs and took care of any calls you may had

Cons

The company itself didn't seem to think much of our department. We were most of our time worried as to what the next move was going to be in regards to our employment status

There is no real incentive for workers to perform better. The carrot on this stick for the most part was processing the visas. It didn't work for most of us. I myself found it offensive.

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!