UnitedHealth Group

2.8 1,601 reviews

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley

Steve Hemsley

1,601 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some"
    in 200 reviews
  • "work-life balance (as long as you're not in finance)"
    in 99 reviews
Cons:
  • "It should care about people work life balance which don't happen in all cases"
    in 66 reviews
  • "which is hysterical considering we are a health insurance company"
    in 71 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

The company hires great people, but they are not recognized for the hard work. Company has become too small.

CRA (Current Employee)
Mississauga, ON

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWonderful people to work with. Even in an overworked environment they help each other. Smart people that make this dept exist.

ConsToo small, if you have one bad department everything falls apart and the bad people are protected. And resources are slim so over worked employees. Company not looking at the bad seeds.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your hard workers

Okay - Depends on what you like in a job

Worked In Various Positions (Current Employee)
Minnetonka, MN (US)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe accounting and finance areas are hard-working and heads down at all levels. The company is run by accountants and the work ethic is exceptionally high. Even if you are upset about the small raises and bonuses given, the company is paying an average rate for the market and everyone is treated about the same. The CEO has an accounting background and is extremely conscientious about stockholder value. As a worker, I put the maximum amount into the employee stock option. I have never been disappointed – great value – because of that, I disagree with remarks about the CEO's pay. I definitely think he is value added to the organization and worth his pay. If you are looking for a place to work hard, and not socialize, this is it.

ConsDifferences in leadership style between finance and technology have created large silos within the company. Optum Technology has hardworking employees, but the “leadership” is a throwback – they make arbitrary rules at the highest level (laid off all workers so many miles away from an office), just sent a large group of executives to India rather than just a few (big party?), brag about the hours they work even though “work” is subjective and they are paid well for their time, and increased bureaucracy and paperwork for projects – basically the “leadership” at this division is a good-old boys club not seen within the finance division or in many companies where agility is needed to stay relevant. For a small group of workers, it is not unusual to have a manager, a senior manager, an associate director, a director, and a number of levels of vice-presidents. Processes are created so that management positions are secure, but it really hampers the agility of the organization and is not value added.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire executives at Optum Technology that value the shareholder as much as the CEO does. It is difficult for conservative, budget-conscious, finance areas to work with the bloated technology bureaucracy and increased project costs from management overhead. Get a leader over that division that has a background in both technology and finance so that they do not just listen to what they are told is needed by the management there, but takes a hard stand and makes the changes needed for streamlining the division. Also, determine which level of management should help with steering the direction of the company. Do you really want the manager levels in meetings all day with associate directors, directors, and vice-presidents? Some levels need to steer day-to-day decision making and some long-term growth, but Optum Technology needs a hard rule because they do not know how to budget for optimal shareholder value.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Solid company, largest player in the market, but lets good people go too often

Vice President (Current Employee)
Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 5 years

Proswork-life balance (as long as you're not in finance)
Culture was brutal years ago, but getting much better
New Office Space

ConsI just saw some of the best leaders I work with get laid off, again and again
Typical big-company politics
HR is worst I've experienced at the Fortune 500 level. Should get better with new leader

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on building people along with business. HR is currently "not in the room" because they are seen as "not essential" to real decision making
Mobility across the organization is not great, and therefore great leaders get "stuck"

it's a job

Prosworking from home
i have a job

Conshas gone downhill. lots of recent layoffs. makes everyone nervous. bonuses seriously downgraded over last year. no raises ever since working here. productivity is everything and you're reminded of it multiple times a day through "uplifting" (read, threatening) emails. supervisors and managers very "party line" and you have a feeling a lot not being said - if they even know anything - it's hard to tell. people are afraid to ask questions because they get angry. if minimum wage really goes up to $15/hr, i might rather work at macdonalds - seriously. probably more fun for same money. UHG considers this position "data entry clerk." there's a lot more to this than typing in names and addresses. doesn't seem fair. medical benefits are basically catastrophic only. can't afford deductible on salary. there's lots of different depts and jobs but you have no idea what they are or what those people do or how to try to change positions within the company--even laterally. maybe you would need to talk to people and "make friends" to find out but there's no time if you're going to make your "numbers" for the day. they come up with "events" and "appreciation" days but again, how do you participate and get your work done? i don't get it. saw emails of holiday events and "winners" of contests, etc. through the day were all supervisors who aren't on our same productivity track. glad they had fun.

Typical large company, only more so

Associate General Counsel (Current Employee)
Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome very bright, very driven executives. Large stable company. Market leader. Benefits are pretty good overall. Compensation is quite fair.

ConsVery numbers only driven culture, no larger strategic vision. Very cost conscious, constantly firing people to make short terms numbers, even to the long-term detriment of the company. Micro-managing is a requirement, no toleration of appropriate delegation.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide on a strategic vision and invest in that vision, not just short term cost-control tactics.

I have experienced UHC like to hire from within. It is a delicate yet rewarding opportunity.

Referral Specialist (Current Employee)
Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for less than a year

ProsI really like the benefits that are provided by the UHC. They seem to take care of their employees and give numerous amounts of training to them.

ConsI do not like the politics that are played with in the company. It seems that people are only out for their own personal gain at times. There has been many times in the past requirements upon the ground level staff to perform overtime. This was a period of time lasting almost one year.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe that the at the upper management level there should be more ears to the ground listening to what the ground pounders' (1st level employees) needs and advise about the ever changing needs of the customer

Health Advisor

Health Advisor (Current Employee)
Green Bay, WI (US)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for less than a year

Pros1) Training - The training program for Health Advisors is a little over 16 weeks and they teach you the insurance industry from top to bottom.
2) Paid Time Off - As a new employee UHG gives you 144 hours of PTO each calendar year and you can roll over 40 hours of PTO to the next year.
3) Weekends Off - Unlike some departments like the Nurseline or OptumRx, Health Advisors get weekends off. And on weeknights the office closes at 8pm.

Cons1) Culture - UHG has a renewed focus on Compassion, and at times they forget about Compassion and revert back to the old way of doing things where everything was Stats based.
2) Unproductive Policies - UHG is all about SOP and Job Aids, which is nice, however many times the policy's don't always reflect a logical way to solve the problem. I think this is something that the company is working on, however with over 1000 different SOP's and Job Aids it's going to take awhile.
3) Communication - UHG has many different departments and sub-departments with no real map of how those departments work together. For instance Health Advisors deal with claims and benefits all day, however when something needs to go to Clinical Services, Clinical Services sends the info right back stating they can't take care of the issue since they don't have all the info needed. So the send it back to the originator and they have to start all over again, and this keeps happening until someone at Clinical Services takes the time to handle the issue. This hole situation could have been avoided if the Health Advisor has access to the information that CS needs before they start a new case. But instead when you attempt to access the information all you get is the red error message of death.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more discussions about how to stream line UHG policies to help members better understand the insurance policies they have. Currently there is a program were you can submit ideas, however you one choose one idea. Listen to you employees they are your best Idea Generators.

Experience of 1Yr as a Pharma Benefit Analyst in United Health Group

Benefit Analyst (Current Employee)
Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

ProsAn International exposure to work and knowledge working for an MNC

ConsNeed to be attentive all the time as we work on live projects

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing : Its going on a good and compfortable way

unnecessary work pressure, you will feel like you are working in MNC

Claims Representative (Former Employee)
Noida (India)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

ProsTransport is good, till what time don't know cabs are being replaced by buses again more time consuming

ConsOperations leadership is not good on serious note its not a captive its pure BPO still you will hear client and commitment with client that you cant fulfill unnecessary cost cutting

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership is not impressive at all, i am not going to refer my friend in UHG

At first it sounds great

Provider Data Specialist (Former Employee)
Richardson, TX (US)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for less than a year

ProsInsurance is great. Work Life Balance is good. Plenty of opportunities to give back to the community.

ConsLow pay for amount of work to be done. And work can be redundant because another department does the same exact work.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally listen to lower level employees... they are the ones that get slammed with profanity and complaints . The process are not great as is. Please consider improving. Also don't let new employees train the next class..lol

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!

UnitedHealth Group Videos

UnitedHealth Group – Why Work for Us?

We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UnitedHealth Group reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for UnitedHealth Group CEO Steve Hemsley. All 1,601 reviews are posted anonymously by UnitedHealth Group employees.