UnitedHealth Group

Updated Jul 23, 2014

2.8 1,811 reviews

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley

Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some(in 230 reviews)

• This company does strive for work/life balance with it's employees(in 120 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard as people are increasingly asked to do more with less(in 78 reviews)

• This company also does not offer their employees good health insurance(in 77 reviews)

1,811 Employee Reviews

The company hires great people, but they are not recognized for the hard work. Company has become too small.

CRA (Current Employee) Mississauga, ON

ProsWonderful people to work with. Even in an overworked environment they help each other. Smart people that make this dept exist.

ConsToo small, if you have one bad department everything falls apart and the bad people are protected. And resources are slim so over worked employees. Company not looking at the bad seeds.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your hard workers

An enormous Corporation with all the good and bad that you would expect.

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThere are a ton of possible career paths with UnitedHealth Group, something for everyone. You will find a great pool of experienced and professional leaders within every section of the company. The office settings tend to be easygoing but very busy. If you are interested in a leadership role be prepared to take on multiple projects with high quality demands, after all they are successful for a reason.

ConsCompensation is very poor especially when you look at the revenue that UHG generates. Oddly enough for a leader in the Health Insurance world the health coverage that they offer is very poor with huge deductibles especially for anyone in a leadership role. While the company "drinks its own cool-aid" and talks about it's new culture all of the time, it often feels like a white wash to cover over the ugly parts. Recently they have "off shored" a lot of positions that have resulted in lay offs.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere truly is no replacement for a good paycheck. Your company has grown, the stock is up and shareholders are happy but you need to open the purse a bit and give back to your employees.

UnitedHealth Group

Customer Service Advocate (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ (US)

ProsUnitedHealth Group is a great place to work. Management really cares about helping it's employees to succeed and excel. The benefits are great, training is constant,

ConsPolicies and procedures change sometimes on a daily basis.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This is the BEST company to work for! Great people, wonderful benefits, and insurance starts right away.

Senior Recovery Analyst (Current Employee) Franklin, TN (US)

ProsBenefits start right away, ample PTO time which also starts upon hire, discount for employee's, opportunity to grow, and the company includes all levels of employee's to let everyone know what is going on within the company. The pay is also excellent! Discounts include cell phone, travel, auto insurance, college, rental car, and many others. I have seen first hand at the opportunity to grow within the company in my short time there. The technology used within the company is top notch.

ConsA lot of changes, but with that said all companies change. Most of the time it is best for the company and helps the company to grow.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management I deal with are great!

UHG is a very good company to work for.

Manager (Current Employee) Eden Prairie, MN (US)

ProsWork/Life Balance and work-from-home are some pros

ConsHigh management turnover rate. Seems to be someone new every couple of years.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop re-organizing and finish the course that was setup

Very siloed organization with very keen focus on Wall Street targets

Director (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsSolid benefits and infrastructure. Continued growth

ConsEverything runs thru Minneapolis. If yu are not tied to the mother ship you can be isolated. Growth largely thru M&A versus organic due to payback times.

Advice to Senior ManagementBonus structure is frustrating as they cap the # of people in each group that can receive cash bonuses and stock options are only available to top 2 levels

Pretty decent job to grow and move around in

Audit Representative Senior (Current Employee) Overland Park, KS (US)

ProsGreat benefits and many opportunities to grow and move up/on in the company. Team and individual oriented within a few departments.

ConsIn my current department, you cannot make up time nor flex your time. In other departments, overtime is not allowed.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen and probe questions of your employees. Take action to improve the environment and morale of the working situation.

It Was A Job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTheir benefits are decent. The pay was okay for the job one does.

ConsAgeism is alive and well at this company. They offer nothing close to any kind of security. This company will lay people off in a heartbeat, regardless of salary level, position or age. Loyalty to its' employees is non-existent. The company has grown through acquisition rather than creativity and offering a superior product. The company says it cares for its' employees and customers, but not really. They don't even have loyalty to citizens of its' own country, as they do not hesitate to outsource work to India. This company doesn't even have loyalty to its' provider network, without which it would have no market share.

Training is a bare minimum. So, you better know your job when you start. Cliques can be found throughout the company. One department is competition with, instead of working with other departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart caring for people and please dispense with the term "human capital". It's dehumanizing. I understand many area's budgets are cut to the bone. Try being more creative and caring, or they'll be cut even more. You will lose business. You might also want to try caring for and showing more respect to your provider network.

Potential, but short term outlook shadows long term

Network Account Manager (Current Employee) Elkridge, MD (US)

ProsLots of ways to show your talents to management, promotions occur

ConsLots of work, fit for the future is essentially trying to do more with less, computer systems are very out of date

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove middle management, work from the bottom up. This company relies on the bottom to make it work, the top needs to simply guide those.

Its a wonderful experience working in UHG

Claims Associate Representative (Current Employee) Hyderābād (India)

ProsI like the Working Environment in the company

ConsPersonal growth, Company Values and Traning

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!