United Rentals Reviews

Updated 25 August, 2014

3.7

United Rentals President & CEO Michael J. Kneeland
Michael J. Kneeland

Pros
  • URI offers competitive wages, and a good benefits package (in 13 reviews)

• Offer good pay with the option for overtime (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • In my experience mid and upper management will not return phone calls unless emergency (in 14 reviews)

• Micro management, discourage continuing education, etc (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

A great work environment, fun, challenging & rewarding.

Current Employee - Business Development  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Business Development in Toronto, ON

I have been working at United Rentals full-time for more than a year

Pros

UR invests heavily in its people and lets you do your job. Even though it's a massive corporation you still get the feeling that your voice is being heard. This is especially nice when it comes to being part of the strategy side of a business.

Cons

The only down side I have experienced so far is that for a diverse company we try to use a "one size fits all" approach to running the business units.

My only advice ( directed to the board level ) is to not settle or promote the "one size fitsa all" mentality. While I realize we need to focus on the overall health of the company I think this can be achieved by letting the business units have some autonomy in terms of how they operate.

Betrayed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fort McMurray, AB
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort McMurray, AB

I have been working at United Rentals full-time for more than a year

Pros

Don't have any at all.

Cons

Super micromanagement. This branch has been set up to fail. First of the year they cut our wages and broke our contract, forcing us to work 8 days on, 6 days off at 12 hours a day. Transport equipment is older and constantly breaking down, severely short on mechanics so the guys on shift have to bust there ass all day to try to meet company demanded goals. Poor moral, everyone will be quitting soon.

None because they won't listen anyways.

Great company, excellent training, drink the koolaid management mentailty

Current Employee - Outside-Sales Representative  in  Saint John, NB
    Current Employee - Outside-Sales Representative in Saint John, NB

I have been working at United Rentals full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Salary+Commissions
    Nice Company Vehicle
    Good Benefits

Cons

Old Equipment
    Push back and lack of new equipment

Listen to your people, encourage and mandate an open door policy. When opportunities arise INVEST, and conserve on areas that are recessed.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company! Poor admin.

Former Employee - Service Tech IV  in  Woodland, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Service Tech IV in Woodland, CA (US)

I worked at United Rentals full-time for less than a year

Pros

Learning platforms are unlimited>I loved learning about the protocols and the company gave me free reign on creating inventory<shop organization and full responsibility of getting my job done.
    Unfortunately their are only 40 hrs. a week given and much more is needed in a start-up situation.
    It was my dream job but unfortunately we had a novice of a branch manager.

Cons

Managers that have Napolian Syndrome

Love the company>Better choices on Branch Managers

Fun fun in the sun ☀!!!!

Current Employee - Tool Trailer Tech
    Current Employee - Tool Trailer Tech

I have been working at United Rentals full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is great. Tons of overtime. Great benefits package. They even buy you new boots each year!

Cons

Boss could tend to try to lead through intimidation. Luckily it always backfires on him once you go up the chain! Owww

Do what you say and say what you do! That's called integrity. The policy is the policy binding between employer and employee.

Motto Should Be: "Consider It Considered"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at United Rentals full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Great name recognition and huge support structure to facilitate getting into large accounts.
    -Technological aids such as apps that allow customers to off rent equipment themselves.
    -Not much of a hassle on what you're expensing.
    -They give you shares in the company.
    -Pay can be fantastic for OSRs.

Cons

-Stiff, corporate culture and bureaucracy takes away the ability of sales reps to be flexible with customers, which drives them off. People at corporate will contact your customers without keeping you in the loop and you'll be blindsided walking into a customer's office or with an angry phone call. Customers will be placed on hold for trivial things and it's very difficult to get them off hold, as you have to work through corporate.
    -Big Brother is always watching. UR seems to be obsessed with making sure average people are meeting the minimum standards, rather than finding exceptional people and removing the obstacles from them excelling. Your phone and computer is loaded with spyware that tracks exactly where you're at. Also, apparently the new vehicles have a tattletale feature that tells your boss if you're speeding (plus you're paying a monthly fee for that vehicle too).
    -Operates on the "too big to fail" philosophy. UR's whole strategy seems to be to buy up great companies and win by making people use them, instead of providing a better level of service and being easier to use.
    -Lack of motivation at the Branch. This is more a problem with the General Rentals stores, but it will permeate to the specialty divisions too. You'll call up looking for equipment for a customer and just be told basically "oh, well" because they don't have it, rather than being told how they can make it happen.
    -Obsessed with safety to the point of it being a distraction from actual work. The branch will spend several hours a week doing safety meetings, conference calls and a whole bunch of other things besides getting equipment out the door.
    -Opaque decision making process from higher. Things will just be dictated down from above without any explanation or reasons.

Decentralize your decision making and start treating people like adults. Don't buy a company and then change everything about it.

Excellent company to work for. plenty of money to be made.

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative  in  Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I have been working at United Rentals full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefites, compensation are great. Company vehicle and top fleet in the industry.

Cons

DSMs could use a little more UR history. After the merger it was hard to remember who bought who,

Certain locations need new management and employees

I have been working at United Rentals full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Offer good pay with the option for overtime. Decent hours allows for a good work to life balance

Cons

Lack of training in certain stores for new employees. Several people with attitudes and some long term employees are very sneaky. I had thought I was in High School while working there.

Too big to fail.

Current Employee - Sales  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at United Rentals full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

URI offers competitive wages, and a good benefits package. The company's large size offers a reasonable amount of job security.

Cons

URI's approach to business in the last three years has been to streamline, increase efficiency, and sell image - to Wall Street. All of these are great, unless done at the expense of quality of service. United has worked hard to differentiate itself from the competition, charging a higher rate for a better product. Unfortunately, they are still demanding a higher rate, but are now offering a substandard product. What was once a relationship-based business relying on repeat customers, is now transactional - we don't care if we upset a customer, there's another one around the corner.

We are seeing a rapid deterioration in our long-time customer base. They are still doing business with us, but because they have to. In the current market, this is not a major concern. Business is strong, and there are a wealth of new opportunities as commercial construction continues to rebound. What happens when that growth stops? Our customers have long memories, and we're instilling the perception that we don't care about them. They need us now, but they won't forever.

Great if you like Micromanagement, Big Brother, Corporate CYOA games and general BS.

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at United Rentals full-time for more than a year

Pros

>It's United Rentals, everyone knows them and there's a huge customer base.

>Decent pay and benefits.

>Lot's of $$$ to invest in equipment.

>Great systems like Total Control and their Apps that let customers off-rent equipment on their phone.

Cons

>Senior Management tells everyone what they want to hear. Look at all the glowing reviews on here, that popped up all at the same time they bought NPC. It's pretty obvious they got some intern to write bogus things extolling the awesomeness of UR.

>Extremely Micromanaged, your phone's location (hence you) are tracked 24-a-day and the new vehicles come with a nanny system that alerts your boss if you're speeding.

>Their plan is to win by being United Rentals and buying up everyone else, rather than actually being better. All they seem to do is buy up high-performing companies (RSC, NPC, etc) then instill the UR Culture to ruin what made them so good. If your company gets bought out by them, polish off your resume, as things are going to change.

>Very corporate, CYOA environment where everything has to fit inside the box, rather than giving people flexibility to get the job done. You are constantly getting invited to pointless conference calls on safety, where it's just someone blabbering on about common-sense things, instead of having managers take ownership of their safety program. Also you'll wait forever to hire people, so you're only going to get people who aren't getting hired elsewhere. Finally, if there's a billing issue, good luck trying to get it resolved, as credits have to get approved by all kinds of people.

Stop being so corporate and leave companies that you've purchased alone. You bought them because they're successful, so why start monkeying around with them and driving off successful people? Also get rid off all the Big Brother stuff and learn to trust your employees.

Worked for United Rentals? Contribute to the Community!