United Rentals

United Rentals Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

United Rentals President & CEO Michael J. Kneeland

Michael J. Kneeland

Pros
  • URI offers competitive wages, and a good benefits package(in 13 reviews)

• Good pay, good benefits, mostly new equipment(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • In my experience mid and upper management will not return phone calls unless emergency(in 14 reviews)

• Micro management, discourage continuing education, etc(in 4 reviews)

A great work environment, fun, challenging & rewarding.

Business Development (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsUR invests heavily in its people and lets you do your job. Even though it's a massive corporation you still get the feeling that your voice is being heard. This is especially nice when it comes to being part of the strategy side of a business.

ConsThe only down side I have experienced so far is that for a diverse company we try to use a "one size fits all" approach to running the business units.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy only advice ( directed to the board level ) is to not settle or promote the "one size fitsa all" mentality. While I realize we need to focus on the overall health of the company I think this can be achieved by letting the business units have some autonomy in terms of how they operate.

Betrayed

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Fort McMurray, AB

ProsDon't have any at all.

ConsSuper micromanagement. This branch has been set up to fail. First of the year they cut our wages and broke our contract, forcing us to work 8 days on, 6 days off at 12 hours a day. Transport equipment is older and constantly breaking down, severely short on mechanics so the guys on shift have to bust there ass all day to try to meet company demanded goals. Poor moral, everyone will be quitting soon.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone because they won't listen anyways.

Great company, excellent training, drink the koolaid management mentailty

Outside-Sales Representative (Current Employee) Saint John, NB

ProsGreat Salary+Commissions
    Nice Company Vehicle
    Good Benefits

ConsOld Equipment
    Push back and lack of new equipment

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people, encourage and mandate an open door policy. When opportunities arise INVEST, and conserve on areas that are recessed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent company to work for. plenty of money to be made.

Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL (US)

ProsBenefites, compensation are great. Company vehicle and top fleet in the industry.

ConsDSMs could use a little more UR history. After the merger it was hard to remember who bought who,

Busy, Busy, Busy never ending work...

Mechanical IV (Current Employee)

Pros#1 The benefits - full dental, eyes, medical 401k, paid vacations, six paid sick days, three floating (birthday, Anniversary DOH +1 more). Mediocre annual training. Fairly competitive pay.

ConsMust own tools, inability to take vacation when company is busy (summer). No real opportunity for advancement, once you have a job it's hard to transfer to another location or level ie sales. Feel stuck, need to be "customer oriented" when dealing with ignorant users (read: Dumb people). Pay raises seem to be mere cost of living adjustments versus raise. Must have two sets of tools (you are a shop and road tech)

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe a program which allows technicians to rotate between branches. More regional town hall meetings so the lower techs can address some issues with management.

Too big to fail.

Sales (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsURI offers competitive wages, and a good benefits package. The company's large size offers a reasonable amount of job security.

ConsURI's approach to business in the last three years has been to streamline, increase efficiency, and sell image - to Wall Street. All of these are great, unless done at the expense of quality of service. United has worked hard to differentiate itself from the competition, charging a higher rate for a better product. Unfortunately, they are still demanding a higher rate, but are now offering a substandard product. What was once a relationship-based business relying on repeat customers, is now transactional - we don't care if we upset a customer, there's another one around the corner.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe are seeing a rapid deterioration in our long-time customer base. They are still doing business with us, but because they have to. In the current market, this is not a major concern. Business is strong, and there are a wealth of new opportunities as commercial construction continues to rebound. What happens when that growth stops? Our customers have long memories, and we're instilling the perception that we don't care about them. They need us now, but they won't forever.

Great if you like Micromanagement, Big Brother, Corporate CYOA games and general BS.

Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee)

Pros>It's United Rentals, everyone knows them and there's a huge customer base.

>Decent pay and benefits.

>Lot's of $$$ to invest in equipment.

>Great systems like Total Control and their Apps that let customers off-rent equipment on their phone.

Cons>Senior Management tells everyone what they want to hear. Look at all the glowing reviews on here, that popped up all at the same time they bought NPC. It's pretty obvious they got some intern to write bogus things extolling the awesomeness of UR.

>Extremely Micromanaged, your phone's location (hence you) are tracked 24-a-day and the new vehicles come with a nanny system that alerts your boss if you're speeding.

>Their plan is to win by being United Rentals and buying up everyone else, rather than actually being better. All they seem to do is buy up high-performing companies (RSC, NPC, etc) then instill the UR Culture to ruin what made them so good. If your company gets bought out by them, polish off your resume, as things are going to change.

>Very corporate, CYOA environment where everything has to fit inside the box, rather than giving people flexibility to get the job done. You are constantly getting invited to pointless conference calls on safety, where it's just someone blabbering on about common-sense things, instead of having managers take ownership of their safety program. Also you'll wait forever to hire people, so you're only going to get people who aren't getting hired elsewhere. Finally, if there's a billing issue, good luck trying to get it resolved, as credits have to get approved by all kinds of people.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so corporate and leave companies that you've purchased alone. You bought them because they're successful, so why start monkeying around with them and driving off successful people? Also get rid off all the Big Brother stuff and learn to trust your employees.

managers are despicable. Look out for their little group

Prospay , benefits, company vehicle

Consverrry long hours and all weekends. Managers will bury you to save their own skin.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up your feet on the street cant be all bad!!

Tough Work, lots of stress

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Cheyenne, WY (US)

ProsLots to do all the time, great opportunity to develop relations with customers on a daily basis. Very busy constantly. Lots of opportunity to learn new things about a diverse industry. A somewhat reliable bonus program quarterly.

ConsManagement is in complete disarray. Supervisors have a hard time balancing being a friend or being your boss, employees are hired simply to fill a space in order to help get things done even if that employee has no business being hired. Work constantly, from dawn till dark, and then on-call on the weekends. Bonus program is great when you hit all the marks, but one of the marks relies solely on the branch manager to set the bar for the quarter. If he/she sets the bar incorrectly, you are out of the money just like that, with no chance to get that extra money back. Tons of stress on a daily basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to make sure your lower supervisors and branch managers actually have spines. District managers are great but are stretched too thin, especially in this region. Be concerned about quality employees who have been hired with educations. In my experience I saw the smart ones get out as soon as they could, usually with no attempt from management to hold on to them.

Good company, decent pay.

Outside-Sales Representative (Former Employee)

Prosjob security, biggest rental company in united states. Great stock. Have made some good moves over the last five years and have put themselves in position to succeed.

ConsNo matter how hard you work as a territory manager your pay will not go up because they are constantly changing territories and commission structure. Management is bad about putting equipment sales in house accounts so they don't have to pay the reps a commission on it.

Advice to Senior Managementyou have to spend money to make money.

Worked for United Rentals? Contribute to the Community!