United Rentals

United Rentals Reviews

Updated Apr 02, 2014

United Rentals President & CEO Michael J. Kneeland

Michael J. Kneeland

Pros:
  • "Good pay, good benefits, mostly new equipment"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Had really good benefits in the past"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "In my experience mid and upper management will not return phone calls unless emergency"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Micro management, discourage continuing education, etc"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A great work environment, fun, challenging & rewarding.

Business Development (Current Employee)
Toronto, ON

I have been working at United Rentals full-time for more than a year

ProsUR invests heavily in its people and lets you do your job. Even though it's a massive corporation you still get the feeling that your voice is being heard. This is especially nice when it comes to being part of the strategy side of a business.

ConsThe only down side I have experienced so far is that for a diverse company we try to use a "one size fits all" approach to running the business units.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy only advice ( directed to the board level ) is to not settle or promote the "one size fitsa all" mentality. While I realize we need to focus on the overall health of the company I think this can be achieved by letting the business units have some autonomy in terms of how they operate.

Betrayed

Fort McMurray, AB

I have been working at United Rentals full-time for more than a year

ProsDon't have any at all.

ConsSuper micromanagement. This branch has been set up to fail. First of the year they cut our wages and broke our contract, forcing us to work 8 days on, 6 days off at 12 hours a day. Transport equipment is older and constantly breaking down, severely short on mechanics so the guys on shift have to bust there ass all day to try to meet company demanded goals. Poor moral, everyone will be quitting soon.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone because they won't listen anyways.

Great company, excellent training, drink the koolaid management mentailty

Outside-Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Saint John, NB

ProsGreat Salary+Commissions
Nice Company Vehicle
Good Benefits

ConsOld Equipment
Push back and lack of new equipment

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people, encourage and mandate an open door policy. When opportunities arise INVEST, and conserve on areas that are recessed.

URI is a fast paced, constantly evolving company that is always driving poistive change!

Director (Current Employee)
Stamford, CT (US)

I have been working at United Rentals full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe safety culture is second to none.
The diversity in the workplace is awesome, and the senior management support in this area is strong.
Operations are performing very well with much more room for continued profitable growth.

ConsWork like balance can be tough to manage as we all work very hard, but it is fulfilling work.
The industry is cyclical, while things are great now there will eventually be lean days again.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work, and don't forget to pat people on the back some more. Celebrate your victories!

What a Fantastic company to work for. You can learn and grow what working hard and having fun.

District Manager (Current Employee)
Midland, TX (US)

I have been working at United Rentals full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThis company is aggressive, drive with clear direction on what we want and how to get there. We work hard, have fun and get the job done.

ConsThe is not enough hours in the day to get everything done in the manner we would like it done in.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe all need time management training and we need to kaisen every position.

Laid off after 11+ years in 2009 & wish URI would rehire laid off employees!

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
Fairfield, CT (US)

I worked at United Rentals full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI loved working at URI because of the company benefits, values and mission. I knew that Mike and Matt would take this company to the top, which they did. My skills were honed at this company. I had a great manager who taught me so much. Working at URI were the happiest and proudest days of my life.

ConsNot much room for advancement for women at our location. I honestly thought URI genuinely cared about long time employees but I believe the old adage "out of sight, out of mind" applies now that the company has grown so large.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire back employees who were laid off during the economic downturn. Women need more opportunities for advancement.

Always Part of the Team

Human Resources (Current Employee)

I have been working at United Rentals full-time for less than a year

ProsUnited Rentals is an amazing company to work for. Not only is my salary higher than the Industry standard but I have excellent benefits as well! I also appreciate the team oriented culture my opinion is frequently sought after and considered in the decision making process.

ConsSometimes important decisions about new initiatives or practices can take too much time to move through the corporate chain of command.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management would be to continue reaching out to the field for feedback on corporate practices.

Unlimited Exposure to new things with limitless opportunity for development and advancement

Branch Manager (Current Employee)
Saint Rose, LA (US)

I have been working at United Rentals full-time for more than 10 years

ProsUnited Rentals seeks to promote those who work hard and are looking for long term career opportunities. The have training programs designed to develop their employee's and create bench strength for future growth and change. They are on the cusp of technology and are leading industry change for our business..

Personally, United Rentals has given me the training, support and development to help me advance in my career. I have experienced so many new things and have been exposed to so many new areas of the country and people because of United Rentals. I don’t believe I would ever had these opportunities and experiences with another company within our industry

United Rentals is a family friendly and safe company that provides me with the peace of mind I need to be a good provider to my family both from a financial and presence perspective

ConsI honestly cannot come up with any Cons with working for United Rentals. You get out of the company what you put into it. Works hard, be patient and the benefits will far outweigh any obstacles you may encounter along the way

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to put focus on our team of employees; i.e. Employee Benefits, Bonus programs, Recognition programs, Communications, etc. Happy employees are the most productive and efficient employees

Great company that keeps all employees trained and keeps pushing for employee development for future opportunities.

District Manager (Current Employee)
Flowood, MS (US)

I have been working at United Rentals full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCompany has action plan in place for future growth. United Rentals is an Leader with employees and their customers.

ConsAt times it's seems to be more about the metrics.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt times there's too many training on going at one time.

Hidden treasure of a company

Human Resources (Current Employee)
Saint Paul, MN (US)

I have been working at United Rentals full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI started with United Rentals a few years ago - from outside the industry. Best move ever. After finding out more - I wanted to be a part of this - an organziation full of smart, hard working people. I've seen consistant improvment and refinement - each year gets more exciting.I have a huge sense of pride being a part of this group and can't wait to see what happens next.

ConsNot alot of turn over

Worked for United Rentals? Contribute to the Community!

United Rentals Videos

United Rentals – Why Work for Us?

Founded in 1997, United Rentals has become the world’s largest equipment rental provider, with an integrated network of 830 rental locations in 49 states and 10 Canadian provinces, and over $7 billion OEC of rental… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at United Rentals reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for United Rentals CEO Michael J. Kneeland. All 139 reviews are posted anonymously by United Rentals employees.