Unilever

Unilever Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Unilever CEO and Director Paul Polman

Paul Polman

Pros
  • Work/life balance is fair but seems to be getting worse each year (in 56 reviews)

• Flexible working hours, great remuneration and understanding line managers (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance, lack of opportunities to move up unless you relocate (in 44 reviews)

• decision-making can be complicated & slow since this is a matrix organisation (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

I worked for Unilever at the Rexdale plant for over three years.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery friendly work environment and challenging as well. Front line workers and office staff are friendly and helpful.

ConsOne is expected to work very long hours and get called in the middle of the night. management and supervisors change constantly which takes a toll on the front line employees. Management typically makes short sighted decisions that target the performance goals of a few managers. The operation is not run effectively.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe people promoted to manager positions should be competent. It's better to go out and hire an industry professional then to promote someone from within who does not have the ability to perform the job.

Good name brand for your resume, long hours but good pay.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood and fun culture. Very competitive. Good pay. Good social life outside of work and a great name for your resume.

ConsVery bureaucratic in nature. Often stuck doing boring but necessary work. Not as much strategy work as I would have liked.

A great first experience.

Refinery Intern (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsThe people at Unilever are fantastic. Managers mostly keep to themselves and leave room for all employees to grow.

ConsWhile at Unilever I felt that i was given very little guidance. Although this was good for my growth at times, it became hampering when small problems took large portions of my time just due to a lack of knowledge or experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome a little more involved with interns and entry-level employees. They are the future of the company and more than likely the people you will always be able to count on.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pretty awesome company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Great culture, team work, collaborative attitude.
    - Takes care of its employee's career development
    - Great products and values - which inspires you
    - Great CEO who has really turned the company around

Cons- Poor work life balance
    - Career progression might be a bit slow in Finance
    - Slight bureaucracy due to size of organization

Advice to Senior Management- Cross functional collaboration could improve

Asst Manager Finance

Prosgood work life balance
    learning opportunities

Consslow career progression
    MTs gain more chances for growth

Internship working in production with operators and calculating efficiency

Continuous Improvement Intern (Former Employee) Brampton, ON

Proschallenging work environment and given a lot of responsibilities, good work environment with friendly people

Conslong hours and projects which may be scrapped and yield no result, lots of changeover among management

Incapable and confused management that implant the wrong values in their employees

Senior Production Supervisor (Current Employee) Brampton, ON

ProsGood pay and benefits. It's a very good company for those who will do anything to grow and don't care about sticking to their values

ConsYou will not grow unless you are a big show off. Management has no visibility over their good people and the results of their projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at lower management teams and do a cleanup.

Stay Away!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsStrong portfolio of market leading brands

ConsLittle acknowledgement given to previous employment experience
    Pay below industry average - "take it or leave it attitude"
    Middle management known to throw employees under the bus
    Short-term focused, unstrategic view to business
    Poor morale

Waste of time

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsIt's good for your resume

Cons-too political
    -favoritism
    -low salary
    -no recognition for efforts
    -first line managers are protected accross all departments
    -don't provide equal opportunities to every employees
    -You are just a number

Advice to Senior Management-Top senior management: you have lost so many good employees over the past 5 years because you have empowered the wrong people. I would suggest that you spend at least a few minutes with each of your employees to understand the true challenges they are going through and collect real honest feedback from them. Employees are afraid to speak up and they end up leaving because of internal corruptions at Unilever. You have invested so much time and money in training and developing people but they all end up leaving because they are treated better outside the company.

Disappointed, not keeping up with the image they project to the public.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Brampton, ON

ProsTremendous resources, best practices available within the group but not utilized.

ConsIncompetent, bungling management. Employees are encouraged to voice their opinions, then targeted when they do not like what they hear.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent in your direction to employees, do not be swayed by hearsay, gossip and vested interests under you.

Worked for Unilever? Contribute to the Community!