Ulta Beauty

Updated 26 January, 2015
2.8

Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon
Mary Dillon

Pros
  • The employee discount is probably one of the best perks of this position (in 64 reviews)

• 50% discount on salon services, and 25% discount on products (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • I don't have a very good work/life balance because I'm always at work (in 25 reviews)

• Upper management is not always aware of activities that go on in the store (in 52 reviews)

More Highlights

Unreliable Paycheck

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The management was friendly, informative, and always willing to help with day-to-day problems. Training was actually fun. Ulta stores are beautiful, and the discounts on merchandise and services were a great perk.

Cons

As a sales associate, your hours are terrible. Usually very early weekend mornings, so that you can stock for three hours before the store opens. If the store does not make projected profits, they cut your hours on a daily basis with no notice. You're lucky if you stay for an entire shift, but they'll send you home once the grunt work is done.

While the managers were honest, friendly, and understanding, corporate needs to wake up and realize their employees depend on their paychecks. You can't cut everyones' hours on every shift. It's unfair.

A lot of pressure for new stylist

Current Employee - Hair Stylist
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Freedom to go around the store anytime and try and "convert" retail customers to salon guest. Advance education(occasionally and sometimes free).

Cons

20%off discount, quotas, a lot of pressure to convert and bring in new guest, hard to meet goals to level jump, $8/hr and dress code

Loosen up on dress code with salon stylist- business style doesn't really work for the younger stylist(no combat style boots, no skinny style black pants- men have to have collars...). Store manager lined up the stylist to point out issues with their attire as well as pointing out the newer stylist lack of guest and not converting enough.

Review of Ulta Beauty

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bolingbrook, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bolingbrook, IL (US)

I worked at Ulta Beauty (more than a year)

Pros

It's a fun, fast-paced industry to work in.

Cons

Customer experience is not woven into the fabric of this organization. It translates into how they treat their customers and their internal focus that drives their decisions. While they say they care about customers, their actions speak louder than their words.

This organization continues to find financial success and while that lasts, the organization will continue to take a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach. Once that starts to change, I don't believe the right people / talent are in place to address the financial downturn that is inevitably going to occur.

Fun with all the right people

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Mansfield, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Mansfield, OH (US)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Stay informed of current fashion
    Good discount
    My coworkers were amazing
    Easy advancement in the company, if you're willing to live in retail for the rest of your life

Cons

Management Is terrible;
    Low hours
    Condescending manager
    Rude people

Hire someone new as your general manager. Maybe your business would do better

It was the absolute worse job I've ever had

Former Employee - Salon Manager in Skokie, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Salon Manager in Skokie, IL (US)

I worked at Ulta Beauty

Pros

The benefits were fantastic that was the best part of working there

Cons

The management was horrible and the turnover rate was unbelievable. It was unorganized and chaotic.

Ulta is a wonderful place to shop, but to work there is another thing. The management was horrible nobody knew what they were doing. I worked there for 2,years went thru 4 gm and 4 DM absolutely a nightmare, I was never so stressed

Not really worth your time

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shreveport, LA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shreveport, LA (US)

I worked at Ulta Beauty (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get customer service experience. If you enjoy makeup, it is fun to work with. Plus you usually receive free product.

Cons

They do not really value employees. Its difficult to advance within the company. You may move up a step or two, but it comes to a halt after that. They expect way too much for not enough pay.

Wasn't so happy with this one

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Pembroke Pines, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Pembroke Pines, FL (US)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

walk in clients/employee discount that applies to sale items/ product knowledge

Cons

the salon is not closed off, which leads to having random customers disturb your salon experience/ very hard to become a master stylist/ constant salon discounts

lower the amount of money needed to jump levels. They are unrealistic without double booking your clientele and working 40+ hours. Give the floor runners more hours so that the customers have someone to look to for questions on products, as a hair stylist, I would find myself constantly stopping my work to help someone for 20 mins on choosing a product. You should also creat a mandatory "prosuct knowledge" class to all employees. Because even when out of the the very few times, there was someone available to answer a question for a customer, they knew nothing about the products which still resulted in me disputing my clients experience.

No one knows what the other is doing.

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Associate discount. Mostly great guests.

Cons

More managers than beauty advisors. Managers unwilling to help associates with HR issues.

Give credit where credit is due.

Too many missing pieces

Former Employee - Skin Therapist in Rochester, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Skin Therapist in Rochester, NY (US)

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Amazing co-workers. I was fortunate enough to be employed at a store full of hard-working, passionate women, both on the retail end and the salon end. However, the environment we had was certainly not fostered by the corporate office, and often times there was an “us against the bigwigs” mentality in the store.
    - Continuing education. Even coming from a smaller city, the Ulta Salon truly did make education a priority. In my time with the company I attended several classes, became certified in new services, and had the opportunity to interact with other Ulta Salon professionals outside of my own store. It's a great introduction to professional networking.
    - Highly talented stylists. Some of the best hair dressers I’ve ever seen were the ones I worked alongside with at Ulta. Truly.
    - Dermalogica.
    - Opportunity to interact with a wide range of prestige makeup, skin care, and hair care brands. Ulta is quite unique in that they carry a plethora of high-end brands that are accessible for salon professionals. This is particularly wonderful for makeup applications, as not all brands are meant for everyone. I discovered some of my favorite lines to work with, and was able to compare quality and usability of products and lines in a way that wouldn't have been available to me had I been working in a small salon.
    - Great salon hours. It’s pretty rare for salons to be open seven days a week, and open until 9 on six of those days. While this can make for a long work day, or a frustrating work schedule if you don’t enjoy working nights, the extended hours did give opportunity for building business. This could be a pro or con, depending on what your looking for in an employer.
    - Opportunity for additional commission from professional product sales (with estheticians, it’s Dermalogica). While this is certainly not unique to Ulta, it was still appreciated. As an esthetician, you should be sending your clients home with good skin care products to maintain their skin health, so it’s a nice little bonus for doing something that you’re already be doing.
    - Free salon services. That was spectacular. Especially with the level of talent you were receiving.

Cons

- Constant steep service discounts specific to esthetic treatments that you are forced to participate in. Not bad for fresh-out-of-school estheticians trying to learn their trade and build business, but constantly running 30-50% any services conditions clients to only get treatments "on sale" and limits your ability to earn a livable wage. Continual service discounts says to clients “this is how much this service is really worth”. This could easily be avoided if specials and discounts were offered more sparingly, or with smarter specials and bundles.
    - Misrepresentation of services. I spent half of my day tactfully trying to explain that the Ulta Salon ads (mailers and in-store) were lying about not only the results from the treatments, but were misleading about the actual treatment itself. False advertising is hard to explain away, and having to do so in a way that doesn’t make the company seem like it's trying to swindle the clients is even harder.
    - No receptionist. It’s poor business to ask clients and salon professionals in a busy environment to have to constantly walk away from a service (sometimes up to a dozen times with one client). That’s not something that I would appreciate to have happen to me, and would not be a returning client to any establishment that treated the time I was paying for in such a fashion. Once or twice? Sure, it happens. Six, seven, eight, twelve times? That’s a good way to not appreciate someone’s patronage.
    - No policy for no-call-no-show, or late appointments, regardless of frequency.
    - Stifling service menu with few advanced treatments and no electrical modalities to enhance treatments. Most facial services were very basic, and the equipment that was available was in poor working condition. Most of the appliances in the treatment room were in some way broken, and I could not get approval to get them replaced.
    - Too small a budget to replenish used materials, and priority went to hair services. Very often I would be out of specific products and would have to substitute for less appropriate product. In essence, I was forced to give my clients a lesser treatment than what they deserved and their skin needed because I didn't have the proper resources on hand to do my work in the most effective way. Having a split budget between the stylists and estheticians could easily buffer this issue.
    - Ordered supplies regularly not showing up, and salon budget not being credited accordingly. Unacceptable.
    - Employees on both the retail and salon sides often went overworked and under appreciated.
    - Esthetician services frequently got lost in translation. Most Ultas only have 1-2 estheticians on staff, 1-2 treatment rooms (if any, as some locations have "pods", a partially enclosed space with a bed in it that is open for public view), and no training or reference material for other employees trying to answer questions about services when the esthetician is unavailable (which is more often than not when you have a strong client base). This situation could also easily be resolved with having a proper receptionist, or by making continuing education opportunities available to all employees. Or both.
    - Salon employees were often expected to work as sales associates when the retail payroll had to be cut. This not only cut into salon payroll, but also didn’t allow for the salon to be properly attended to in between client services. The bigger issue at hand with this, is that salon employees are only paid commission for the services that they perform, so requiring salon professionals to be on the sales floor means free labor for Ulta.
    - Poor communication and too few resources for both employees and customers. Misleading advertising paired with too small a staff in too large a store harbored an environment for dissatisfaction on all ends.
    - Shared washer and dryer for hair stylists and treatment room. Those hair clippings don’t just magically disappear in the wash, they end up all over the bright-white bed dressings even when loads are separated.

Increase communication on all ends. Better division of responsibilities, and higher accountability for individual and team work. Increase training opportunities for all, not just salon professionals. Clearer separation between the salon, and retail. Greater transparency.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Cashier in Washington, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Washington, MO (US)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pretty good pay
    You get a new family
    Learn a lot
    Free stuff sometimes
    25% off everyday
    once every year 30%-40% off
    Great customers
    You have to love what you do!!!!

Cons

Like high school
    Also Crazy customers
    Hard hard work

Please pay the people that work truck and sunday every week more because this is the hardest part of the job. You should go around and test your employees and see what they know and pay them for what they know and can do.