Uber

Updated 16 December, 2014
Updated 16 December, 2014
3.5

Travis Kalanick

Pros
  • Uber brings in a culture that allows for innovation and fast paced development (in 18 reviews)

• Impactful work - you are literally changing the world (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Not getting bored means you have to take care of your own work/life balance (in 47 reviews)

• Long hours though you will hardly notice as the work is very exciting (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Fulfilling, amazing, and overall it's an incredible place to work

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Uber full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work you do is impactful
    The people are amazing, at a local level and at a global level

Cons

Work/life balance can be tough for new employees!

Marketing Manager

Current Employee - Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People are Smart but super approachable.
    Having uber credits is not too shabby
    Stock option is even a better part of the company
    We have a Wicked product that has a REAL impact on people s life
    This job gives Flexibility and we can work in different offices around the globe

Cons

we tend to work very long hours and around the clock like any start ups

It d be nice to make sure that even if we wpokr kard we can rest hard. work-life balance

Long hours and repetitive work

Former Employee - Operations and Logistics Manager
    Former Employee - Operations and Logistics Manager

I worked at Uber full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get a prime seat to watch the evolution of the transportation industry. Good exposure to operations, marketing, and political strategy in a rapidly growing business. You will learn a lot and it's nice to have your company constantly in the news and being brought up in conversation.

Cons

Work life balance is horrendous. You will eat every meal at your desk. Despite claims of "no face time" there is absolutely the expectation that you need to be seen at your desk well into the evening. You will be online and constantly available on weekends.

Once you learn the basics of the job there is little change in the day to day. They sell it as a chance to implement innovative solutions, but everything interesting is done at HQ by the strategy and product teams. If you work in a city you just get to implement the vision of management without any real freedom to do anything creative.

Questionable ethics and the company continues to treat it's drivers extremely poorly preferring. If you have a strong moral conscience you may find yourself staring at the ceiling every night instead of falling asleep after a long day at the office.

Loosen the reigns, make sure employees get some time away from work.

The most exciting environment I've ever worked in

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Uber full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Startups love to talk about how they're 'killing it', even though usually they're just struggling to survive to their next round of funding. The focus on Uber isn't on 'killing it', everyone knows we're already doing that; we want to know what we can do to kill it faster.

Compensation is extremely competitive, and includes something that no other company can offer: equity in one of the fastest growing companies in history. Even now, Uber is out of its infancy and continuing to double revenues every six months.

Transparency within the company is a big part of our culture. There's a weekly meeting where anyone in the company can ask the CEO a question and get an honest/unfiltered response.

You get to work with a lot of extremely talented people from a wide variety of backgrounds. I've met people at HQ from six different continents, and I'm currently the only male engineer on my team. Diversity is a common buzzword these days, but at a company as small and simultaneously global as Uber it's also a reality.

Cons

The company is growing extremely fast; sometimes there are more people than desks and working arrangements can get very... 'cozy'. With that growth comes lots of change, and you will feel very uncomfortable if you are used to being in a predictable environment.

Work/life balance may be a deal breaker for some. We're trying to grow the team as fast as the number of problems we're facing is growing, but sometimes the latter outpaces the former and the days can get very long, but the work is usually still exiting. I've never been told to work on a weekend, but I have voluntarily spent a few at the office building something I wanted to make.

Pretty good, work at home gig

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Uber as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Work from home, fun company, flexible scheduling and managers.

Cons

Burned out pretty fast. I have a feeling they will be outsourcing these positions soon. So much changes so fast it can be hard to keep up.

Great Company doing Great Things!

Current Employee - Operations and Logistics Manager in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Operations and Logistics Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazingly flat feeling to the hierarchical structure where every employees opinion is valued and voice can be heard. There is a great sense of transparency coming from the top down. The sense of mission and desire to create a high value product, both for our riders and our partners is tangible everyday and the commitment is shown in the quality of people that are hired each and every day. Benefits are particularly good and the office culture is second to none.

Cons

Long hours, but the reality is everyone here works long and hard because they want to and there is a real purpose to the job. If working long hours towards a mission isn't appealing, this is not the job for you.

I think for a company that is rapidly growing management has done an excellent job of creating a culture of mentorship, and maintaining the feel of a small start up.

Excellent and creative company.

Current Employee - Community Support Representative in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Community Support Representative in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Uber as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I love the challenges and the pay is pretty fair.

Cons

I'm contracted for only 3 months but I'm going to work hard to get an extension.

Majority of the Community Operations Managers are fairly new, but they're helpful for the most part. Though you all are overwhelmed, don't neglect your reps who are depending on you to respond in a somewhat timely manner.

Seems alright

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I have been working at Uber

Pros

Fast pace, lots of growth.

Cons

Fast pace, lots of growth

Not sure

Fast moving, smart people

Current Employee - Data Scientist
    Current Employee - Data Scientist

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People are smart and action-oriented; the company is in a period of hypergrowth and we're all trying to make things happen. The atmosphere is inclusive-- everyone is opinionated, but willing to listen to your thoughts-- "strong opinions, loosely held."

Only been here two months; it's been a bit stressful, but overall more fun than stressful, and definitely a great learning experience. I would definitely recommend working here to all my friends.

Cons

Not a small company-- my last job was < 50 people, so it feels really big sometimes.

Incredible place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Uber full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast paced, tons of opportunities to contribute, great positive atmosphere, very sharp coworkers. Lots of very interesting and far reaching problems being worked on. Attracts passionate people who are the best at what they do.

Cons

You have to look out for yourself to make sure you have the support you need to do your job right. Self-starters do best. Very little hand holding. Fewer perks than other tech companies. Very demanding, of course.

Bigger focus on work life balance would be appreciated.

Uber Photos

Use Uber to get around town safely, quickly, and efficiently.
Uber can be used anytime, anywhere, in over 200 major cities around the world.

+ Add Photo