Uber Reviews

Updated 17 October, 2014
Updated 17 October, 2014

Travis Kalanick

Pros
  • Get to meet new people especially cute girls (in 4 reviews)

• 99% of the people love the service (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • I Don't Like The Rating System Cause i Cant Tell what people have rated me (in 15 reviews)

• Long hours make work life balance challenging (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Long hours and repetitive work

Former Employee - Operations and Logistics Manager
    Former Employee - Operations and Logistics Manager

I worked at Uber full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get a prime seat to watch the evolution of the transportation industry. Good exposure to operations, marketing, and political strategy in a rapidly growing business. You will learn a lot and it's nice to have your company constantly in the news and being brought up in conversation.

Cons

Work life balance is horrendous. You will eat every meal at your desk. Despite claims of "no face time" there is absolutely the expectation that you need to be seen at your desk well into the evening. You will be online and constantly available on weekends.

Once you learn the basics of the job there is little change in the day to day. They sell it as a chance to implement innovative solutions, but everything interesting is done at HQ by the strategy and product teams. If you work in a city you just get to implement the vision of management without any real freedom to do anything creative.

Questionable ethics and the company continues to treat it's drivers extremely poorly preferring. If you have a strong moral conscience you may find yourself staring at the ceiling every night instead of falling asleep after a long day at the office.

Loosen the reigns, make sure employees get some time away from work.

Flexibility is Good

Current Employee - UberX Driver in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - UberX Driver in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Uber as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I really like the flexibility Uber offers. I also work a FT job, but the fact there are fares 24 hours a day makes this a good gig for PT work. What I have found to work for the best "bank for the buck" is getting online by 5am & trolling south (I live in Buford) on P-Tree Ind or 141, there are many fares heading to the airport at that time. Overall it's a very nice PT gig. I have met many "interesting" people, I could write a book.

Cons

I have to usually drive ITP during evenings to get fares (35+ miles).
    In the late nights - early mornings - there are almost as many cancellations as fares. I have even called the customer to verify they indeed need a ride & have been told yes.. I have driven as far as 18-20 miles (when working very late you might be the only driver out, or so it seems) only to be cancelled upon arrival. Uber might or might not compensate me for that. & if they do, it's $6. - of which I receive $4.80.
    The GPS leaves much to be desired on many nights, so I call the customer to verify their location. If it's very early in the morning (like runs to the airport) the customer have gotten PO'ed as they do not want to wake their family. If it's the drunks you are taking home, sometimes they have no clue where they are & I am driving in circles trying to find them.

The $1 deduction for every fare can be a big hit, especially for a fare under $10, because there's also the 20% fee.
    I do not get satisfaction from many emails to partners.uber.com. They are condescending & there's no 'voice' to speak with when there's a major concern. Many times they do not answer the question at hand, they give a "standard" reply that has nothing to do with the question emailed to them.

Smartest people you will meet

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Uber full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a full time employee, the perks are great; competitive wage, monthly stipend, lots of drinking. It is a very fun and party-oriented culture.

Cons

In the operations side, there is a kool-aid like culture. Everyone thinks as a collective and rejects any outside thoughts without consideration. Fortunately, engineering is not like that but engineers don't make all the business decisions.

With rapid growth, there is starting to become cracks in communication between organizations. Patch those up and you will be golden.

Exciting business, start-up atmosphere, super smart colleagues. Heavy workload though.

Current Employee - FTE
    Current Employee - FTE

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Really cool projects you can do. You own the business you are doing. Surrounded by super smart and talented colleagues. Very open in terms of communication, no need to spend a lot of time writing an email, so that it does not "hurt" anyone, just make your point directly.

Cons

Heavy workload, don't expect work-life balance. If you don't like ambiguity, this is not the right place for you.

good times, very flexible.

Current Employee - Driver in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Driver in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at Uber as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

if you have a car, want to make some quick money, go to the Uber. as long as you can speak some english and drive, you can make good money.

Cons

different customers, some customers are just hater. they will hate you whatever you did.

reply email faster

Working from home full time!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Super easy work. Everything is 100% done remotely from the interview to the trainings. If you have a background in customer service and are computer savvy you'll be fine. You'll only be answering emails. No phones!
    -Flexible schedules! I have the freedom to work whenever I please for the most part. Night owl? Take an evening shift. Prefer to get work over with? Opt for a 5am shift. Best of all everything is broken into 4-hour blocks...so I can work in the am AND the pm if I have another obligation in midday. This is an excellent job for a student, parent, or simply someone who does not like traditional 9-5 white collar work.
    -Awesome management. Truly some of the most encouraging, happy, and helpful people I've ever met. They don't micromanage at all which is a huge perk.
    -Concise and intimate training sessions. Learning remotely is difficult, but the Uber team makes it simple via live video chats.
    -Weekly paychecks! I know it sounds silly...but it really is a big perk haha.
    -Room for growth! Since the remote CSR program is still relatively new there is a lot of opportunity to go through new trainings, which ultimately makes you a more valuable company asset.

Cons

-At an hourly rate of $15 that is non-negotiable, funds can be a bit tight if this is your only source of income and live in an expensive state/city.
    -Since CSRs are contracted through a 3rd party employer, they take care of benefits, but they aren't great at all.
    -No paid vacation time or holiday pay.
    -Not the best position for someone that is not a self-starter

Please consider cutting the 3rd party employer and make us all Uber.com employees! Also consider having opportunities for promotions/salary increases.

Wonderful service & great part-time gig.

Current Employee - Uber Driver in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Uber Driver in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Uber as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

No schedule. Spontaneous working hour.

Cons

Some passengers are grumpy or rude and have the ability to rate you poorly which can affect your livelihood.

I would like to see Uber Drivers get discounts on rides.

Been working for a month

Current Employee - Uber Driver in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Uber Driver in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I have been working at Uber as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Work at my schedule.
    Customers have been good so far. Easy way to make some money.

Cons

Several: Ratings are an issue as there is no information why a customer gave a low rating in order to make your service better. Cancellations are an issue as you can drive several miles to a customer and upon arrival, they have 5 minutes to cancel and you get paid nothing. There was a cost to get there. Lastly .... Airport pickups are an issue and Uber has not addressed this. They say airport pickups are fine, but several people have been ticketed, cars impounded and court appearance necessary because of improper licencing. Uber needs to clarify this for its drivers.

Advising proper legal information as to where and where not you can pickup a customer in a certain area. Bonuses for hours online without fares. Fees paid for cancellations from the start of the call. Maybe benefits down the road for those drivers that make this a full time job.

Great flexible and well-paying PT work, using your own vehicle

Current Employee - Uber Driver in Charlotte, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Uber Driver in Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at Uber as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Flexibility, in command of your own schedule, can use your own car and write off all working-related expenses since it's your own independent subcontracting position with Uber. The best hours to make the most money are during am/pm rush hours, nights and weekends through when bars close. If you can do these hours, then this is a win-win for you.

Cons

The best paying hours may not match what you are comfortable with driving. The better hours to make the most money are during am/pm rush hours, nights and weekends through when bars close. Otherwise it can be fairly slow and not worth it financially. You also have to keep track of all your own expenses to write off, and pay self-employment tax as an independent contractor

A great and lucrative part time job.

Current Employee - Uber Driver in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Uber Driver in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Uber as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

create own schedule, weekly pay, no boss, flexibility

Cons

drunk people, long periods of sitting if allowed

NA