USAA

www.usaa.com

USAA Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

USAA President and CEO Joe Robles Jr.

Joe Robles Jr.

Pros
  • Great benefits and a wide variety of possibilities with such a large company (in 138 reviews)

• Work life balance is important to the company (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Call center environment so you're at your desk taking phone calls the entire shift (in 90 reviews)

• There is NO work/life balance as they would like others to believe (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company but little opportunity to grow.

Claims Manager (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsGreat company culture. The mission and values are not just words written on the wall. USAA lives by those values and mission. Benefits are good and there is plenty of training and volunteering opportunities.

ConsThe company is very siloed. it is really difficult to move to a different area of the company. Also since it is a good company, there are employees that have been with USAA for well over 20 years. In claims it takes about 20 years to be able to get Christmas week off. Also promotions are very slow the higher up you go.

Good Intern Experience

IT Intern (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

Prosgot great challenging work, competitive pay, and an all around good time. san antonio is awesome, and its a lot of fun living here for the summer. usaa is an amazing place to be, and you meet tons of amazing people in a whirlwind of an experience

Constons of work, would like more pay/bigger bonus, better living situation, apprenticeship offer. i needed less time going to meetings for interns that weren't going anywhere, and more time working on my projects.

Advice to Senior Managementneed more time learning existing job roles to make a better, more informed decision to work here

Great place to work with some flaws

Software Developer & Integrator I (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsTop-notch benefits, lots of paid time off, and they're very mindful of work/life balance. Annual holiday and performance bonuses are very generous. Management usually comes off genuinely interested in seeing you succeed, and are willing to work with you to find ways to help you advance your career in whatever way you want to go. Lots of opportunities for professional growth within the IT department -- just have to be willing to speak up and work for it.

ConsEmployees have been pretty vocal about an overly rigorous change release process for putting code in production, but it's only gotten worse over time; Leadership shows strong bias to preferred vendors, even when said vendor doesn't provide the best solution (IBM). Your best shot at a good raise is getting promoted...annual merit raises are there, but they're kind of a joke, and everyone knows it. Also, there's a requirement from leadership that employees are expected to work 10% overtime every week, despite being salary. From a moral standpoint, I think it's one thing to work extra if your tasks at the time demand it, but to tell me I'm expected to work an arbitrary number of hours when I'm salary is kind of ridiculous.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on not sending mixed messages to workforce (wanting faster time to market while also wanting better quality code). If you want salaried employees to work a certain amount of overtime every week, be willing to pay them for it. Continue building on the good communication structure between management and non-management. Try to avoid falling into the shady practices of other large corporations amidst such rapid growth.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

USAA is a company that has managed to remain financially stable throughout all obstacles within the economy.

Financial Foundations Specialist (Former Employee) Tampa, FL (US)

ProsThe office culture is strict and demanding. Onsite cafeteria, Java, daycare and gym. Personal growth depends on you. Most managers will help you succeed if you are willing to go the extra mile. The benefits are one of the best corporate has to offer

ConsThe office culture is strict and demanding. Training is practical but not realistic. Leadership can be challenging depending on the manager's skills and knowledge.

Great opportunities for hard working individuals!

Member Relationship Specialist (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsGreat culture, people, perks, salary. You will stay very busy at all times!

ConsUSAA is NOT a one-size-fits-all organization! It takes the right person to work at USAA. I spent 13 years there in various positions and saw many others who floundered and left. Not for those who are looking for an easy job, prime schedule, etc.

Ups and downs, but overall well rounded

ProsMember focused, beneficial for FTE stats, large campus for multiple uses, up to date technology - for the most part

ConsContractors cannot have facility benefits (daycare, gym, company participations), MSRs are not trained well in their processes

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsThe best reason to work for USAA is the many opportunities that one is given to grow, develop, and contribute to the great teamwork environment. The people I work with are very attentive to doing a great job. Also people there are like family. Also the health benefits, gyms, and the outstanding facilities . Also great ethics and values of the company.

ConsIn some cases in order to move up its not what You know that counts but who You know.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk around and see what the employees are doing. Also listen to the calls with the employees in order to get an idea of the types of calls and questions they answer.

I've Never Been Happier!

Software Developer & Integrator III (Current Employee) Plano, TX (US)

ProsUSAA is the BEST company I have ever worked for. The people are what make this company so great. The work-life balance is good. The benefits are SUPERB! Even better than Microsoft and Google. They believe in and live their mission statement every hour of every day. The work culture is super fun! This company has great core values and plenty of room for promotions. Lots of company activities. Lots of training opportunities.

ConsSome locations have more benefits than others. Also, they have more advancement opportunities than smaller locations. Being in a smaller location sometimes makes us feel isolated from the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what you are doing. Employes are happy and it shows.

Great Company All-in-All

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsKnows how you give support and still support its members

ConsGood Cons; expect the best out of employees

Best employer ever.

Financial Foundations Associate (Current Employee) Colorado Springs, CO (US)

ProsAny corporation can tell you how lucky you are to work there, and most smugly attempt to do so. I've lived the nightmare of working in the call center industry for 6 years, being the corporate scapegoat, and dealing with much more stress than humans ought to be subjected to.
    USAA is so incredibly different. The members who call in (military) are of a higher caliber. Sure, you'll get a jerk every now and then, but that's unavoidable. Members are constantly telling me how proud they are to have USAA. I'm showered with compliments on a daily basis.
    The company believes strongly in a work/life balance, and puts many incentives in place to help you achieve your goals beyond the cubicle walls. The company helped me quit smoking, lose 20 pounds, and has me on a budget plan to help me (FINALLY) get out of credit card debt.
    The culture shock was strong at first, but once I realized USAA was The Real Deal, I became their loudest supporter.
    In terms of advancement, the doors are wide open. Your career path is something that managers coach you on consistently since day one. I've been there 8 months, but I've already graduated 3 levels of skillsets. My next title bump and (significant) pay increase comes next month.
    The annual performance bonuses are fantastic.
    My quality of life has improved drastically since I started working for USAA. If you're on the fence about accepting a position here, I would strongly recommend it.

ConsFor the insurance side of things, you only get a week to study for your state licensing exam. The content is the equivalent of a semester's worth of college course work, but you have to get it down in a week. SUPER stressful.
    The starting pay is pretty decent proportionally to the duties assigned. You may be able to get a higher salary at a different company, but, just remember, your salary is only a base. The benefits beyond the base pay are tangible and useful.
    It's call center work, which is... Not for everyone. You have to be a quick thinker with thick skin, and you have to be REALLY good at not taking things personally.

Worked for USAA? Contribute to the Community!