US Marine Corps

2,306 Reviews

US Marine Corps Commandant General James F. Amos
General James F. Amos
1,090 Ratings

Pros
  • Full medical and dental along with housing paid for (in 61 reviews)

• Great opportunity to see the world as you learn great skills for the outside world (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Significant time away from family and friends is a sacrifice you will have to make (in 148 reviews)

• Long hours, stuck with some people that in the civilian world would have been fired (in 252 reviews)

More Highlights

(INFANTRY MACHINE GUNNER) My time in the Marines was better than I could have imagined.

Former Employee - E4 - Marines - Corporal in Camp Pendleton, CA (US)
    Former Employee - E4 - Marines - Corporal in Camp Pendleton, CA (US)

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Best time of my LIFE
    Benefits during and after you get out
    FUN
    Travel (I went to Okinawa, Tokyo, Cambodia, Malaysia, Thailand, And of course AFGHAN) stationed in sunny CA
    Brotherhood is like family
    Many memories
    Learn to lead
    Combat

Cons

Combat
    Some in the brotherhood are really really really really dumb...like really really dumb
    Travel may be to much for married couples
    A lot of Hurry up and wait!
    Marines seem to be getting weaker with Moms of america complaining

The good managers know how to lead, the bad ones never will

U.S. Marine Corps

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Part of an organization where those employed have truly earned the right to be there. Most employed are committed to doing their best.

Cons

You have to be prepared to work very long hours; it is truly a "service" to your country. Advancement may not be possible, regardless of performance.

Never sacrifice standards for the sake of political expediency.

Pilot

Current Employee - Helicopter Pilot
    Current Employee - Helicopter Pilot

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great training with people who, for the most part, come to work every day to get the job done. The camaraderie and team ethos is bar none. As a pilot, the flying is great. You get a breadth of opportunities to do different jobs (and collateral duties), work in different departments and broaden your experience base. Amazing leadership opportunities, great benefits. You'll likely get to see the world and do things you never thought you would do. Friends and memories to last a lifetime.

Cons

Time to promote on the Officer side can be frustrating. No meritorious promotions as officers, so you can run circles around your peers and still have to wait the same amount of time to get promoted. Although, at a certain level, under performers get passed over/pushed out. Can be tough on families, depending on your MOS, timing and what is going on in the world.

Travel and Adventure

Current Employee - Career Planner in Camp Pendleton, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Career Planner in Camp Pendleton, CA (US)

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

-travel
    -advancement
    -health care/benefits
    -retirement plans
    -401k options
    -holidays off
    -paid vacation time 2.5 days earned month

Cons

Family comes second to the Marine Corps. Hours are not set, work until work is done. Physical Training is a must!

Best decision I have ever made!

Former Employee - E5 - Marines - Sergeant in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - E5 - Marines - Sergeant in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Camaraderie is one of the most important things that keep you going. I was lucky to have had great leadership when I first started as a junior Marine. The friendships I made will be everlasting. You have a chance to work hard and advance meritoriously. The opportunity to be a good leader is definitely there. Great benefits, never have to worry about healthcare or dental for you and your family. The proud I felt wearing my uniform every day, cannot be matched by anything.

Cons

A lot of times, especially as a junior Marine, you have to deal with a lot of bs. Once you become a non-commissioned officer, you have the opportunity to lead Marines, but the chance of getting an idiot for a leader is definitely there. Unfortunately, a lot of people that cannot make it in the civilian world, stay in because they get power with their rank.

Going to college and getting a degree does not make you smart and a good leader. Learn from senior Marine officers, from your mistakes, from your subordinate Marines, Earn their respect, care, and do not be an idiot!

Life changing.

I worked at US Marine Corps

Pros

Travel a lot, you're serving your country and doing what you love most of the time. There is room for promotion and always someone willing to take you under their wing.

Cons

The promotion system can be broken at times, and if you make enemies with the wrong people your life won't be the happiest.

Aircraft Mechanic

Former Employee - Aircraft Mechanic/Welder in Quantico, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Aircraft Mechanic/Welder in Quantico, VA (US)

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good future builder. Completed 5 years and bettered myself as a person. Wanted to continue but I did not want to stay on the east coast.

Cons

Moved around to much. Too many funding cuts and caused many supply's to be on hold. Pay was steady but just wasn't enough.

Good chance at a career if above average and you punch the right tickets in your military occupational specialty (MOS).

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The Marine Corps can build anyone with a sense of duty, pride in their work, and patience to navigate the rank structure into quite a formidable asset for any business after the military. The Marine Corps network is strong for those that toe the line, pull their weight, and maintain honor and integrity throughout their time in the Marine Corps. Outstanding travel opportunities and benefits are unmatched.

Cons

Significant and lengthy departure from the "typical" MOS path can seriously derail a Marine's chance at promotion, possibly a 20-year career. Generally, only top-performers that come back to their primary MOS will be selected if their MOS credibility is significantly weaker than their peers. This is especially tough for those selected to Naval Postgraduate School or other schools for non-MOS, advanced degrees. Marines must plan and coordinate with their career planner or monitor carefully, at least as best they can since "needs of the Marine Corps" take precedence, to make sure that they are back in their MOS long enough to be competitive for promotion boards.

Additional consideration should be given for Marines who become good "athletes" versus "position players". Well-rounded Marines who gain a breadth of experience can sometimes be just as, if not more, valuable as those that slug it out in their MOS their entire career. I've seen a number of outstanding Captains go off to NPS only to serve their payback in an analytical field and then separate because they were no longer competitive in their MOS.

Great Experience

Former Employee - Infantry Team Leader in Camp Lejeune, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Infantry Team Leader in Camp Lejeune, NC (US)

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Marines mad me the man I am today. Great Comradery. Gives many of it's members confidence and leadership unattainable in many other industries.

Cons

Hard to change the way things are. Possible lengthy time from home and love ones. Senior enlisted should have a formal education requirement outside of required professional military education for more of a well rounded leader.

Airframes Mech

Current Employee - E6 - Marines - Staff Sergeant in M C B H Kaneohe Bay, HI (US)

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Awsome work environment, Lot of good people and a feeling of belonging

Cons

Hard on your entire body.

None