US Marine Corps

Updated Jul 27, 2014

4.2 1,959 reviews

US Marine Corps Commandant General James F. Amos

General James F. Amos

Pros
  • Full medical and dental along with housing paid for(in 52 reviews)

• You get to travel, see the world and get aquainted with other people of the world(in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to spend time away from family in both deployed and non-deployed enviroments(in 127 reviews)

• Long hours, stuck with some people that in the civilian world would have been fired(in 220 reviews)

1,959 Employee Reviews

"Lack of TRUE leadership"

0411 (Former Employee) Camp Lejeune, NC (US)

ProsIf you can apply what you learn in Bootcamp, MOS School, and beyond to your day to day life you will succeed your peers in every aspect of life before the age of 25.

ConsLeadership varies tremendously and results in whirlwind of issues from troop welfare, pay issues, kids getting married for the added pay and then the wives causing issues for the command, and so on. Small unit leadership is lacking in todays Corps.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe thinning out of the Corps can't come soon enough. Promotions shouldn't hinge on the lackluster performance amplified by a self written FITREP or an easily obtainable cutting score that gives you 2 year NCO's and 5-6 year Staff NCO's.

The Marine Corps has taught me a lot about leadership and responsibility and how to lead people to complete mission task

Teacher (Current Employee) Honolulu, HI (US)

ProsThe Marine Corps has taught me how to stay in shape and how to work a strategical work ethic that has taught me to teach Marines how to perform at a high state of readiness.

ConsThe Marine Corps has taught discipline on and off work which plays a major role when enjoying leisure time. A lot of people respect me for having serve my country and often offer to pay for items, clothes, food, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow your workers and their abilities and skills. Continue to train workers for the success of the business. Give workers something to look forward to build morale and set a positive mind set.

Challenge

03 - Marines - Captain (Current Employee) Okinawa (Japan)

ProsOpportunity to work with and for superb individuals in a demanding and competitive work environment. Moral, mental, and physical challenge that if done right, will reap many benefits.

ConsSignificant time away from family and friends is a sacrifice you will have to make.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Greatest choice I ever made in my life. I would do it again in a different life.

Prosopportunities for exploring different cultures and lifestyles. Promotions are a little slow now but well worth the wait. Benefits are like no other company.

Consthere are zero cons with this company.

Everything is what you make of it

E5 - Marines - Sergeant (Current Employee) Camp Pendleton, CA (US)

ProsFinancial stability, travel, educational benefits, a month a year of paid leave, and more make this a truly rewarding job in terms of benefits. But there is also a sense of pride and job satisfaction.

ConsAway from family often and long hours at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower your NCOs without micromanaging.

USMC love

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat life experiences, great training environment. They look out for your best interests.

ConsTime away from family. Pay can be subpar compared to civilian jobs but is guaranteed unlike most jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone really, you guys know what you are doing and I commend you for that.

Life Changer

Combat Engineer (Current Employee) Camp Lejeune, NC (US)

ProsLearn core values
    Learn discipline and professional standards of the military
    Can make a career
    Military for single Marines offer good benefits, although military members don't get paid much, many benefits are offered

ConsConstantly moving
    Stressful environments
    Physically demanding
    Military is a 24/7 job

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to the basics and be there for your Marines. Take feedback from others and gain respect, don't force it upon your Marines. You'll boost morale more if you gain respect for your Marines.

It has allowed mature well beyond my years.

School of Infantry (West) Motor Transport Maintenance Chief (Current Employee) Camp Pendleton, CA (US)

ProsThe Marine Corps will make a leader out of anyone. You'll gain intangible abilities that you might otherwise take years to acquire or perhaps never.

ConsIt's very physically and mentally demanding.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe a manager who is able to push his employs to their full potential, make for the best manager or boss to work for. However, those managers need to have the tools to be able to make this happen. I've gained many tools for the Marine Corps. Knowing myself so I seek self improvement. Know my employs, so i can put them in the best position to succeed. My favorite is, Lead by example and they shall follow.

Some of the world's best training and countless life changing experiences.

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsLife time friends.
    Connections to help with transition from military to civilian life.
    Life changing experiences

ConsMismanagement of mid to upper level management.
    Hard time holding non performers accountable which pushes reliable heavy hitters to exhaustion and ultimately out of the Corps.

A very educational, and fast paced environment.

Logistics Officer (Current Employee) Okinawa (Japan)

ProsOne of the benefits of working here is the support that is given to the mid-level management. There is flexibility to achieve results while oversight is being provided.

ConsAs an organization we are effective but not as efficient as I would like us to be. The Lean Six/Sigma process will be a valuable tool.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncorporate more lean practices into our processes.

Worked for US Marine Corps? Contribute to the Community!