US Marine Corps

2,577 Reviews

US Marine Corps Commandant General James F. Amos
General James F. Amos
1,222 Ratings

Pros
  • Full medical and dental along with housing paid for (in 64 reviews)

• Great opportunity to see the world as you learn great skills for the outside world (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Significant time away from family and friends is a sacrifice you will have to make (in 149 reviews)

• You have to be prepared to work very long hours; it is truly a "service" to your country (in 256 reviews)

More Highlights

Life changing to say the least amazing opportunity to serve my country and better myself as a man and also for my family

I worked at US Marine Corps

Pros

You learn respect learn to carry yourself above civilian standards learn life skills and most importantly you get to blow stuff up

Cons

i have no cons at all

keep pushing harder and harder stop letting mothers of america dumb down the marines we fight wars not knit blankets

2841 Intermediate Ground Radio Repair

Former Employee - 2841 Intermediate Ground Radio Repairer in Camp Pendleton, CA (US)

I worked at US Marine Corps

Pros

Good health and education benefits. Especially for after getting out.

Cons

Micro-managing occurs far too often. Also, the concept of one bad apple ruining the bunch applies to how upper management treats their junior enlisted.

Treat junior enlisted with more respect

Great career that offers better benefits than most companies.

Current Employee - US Marine Corps Electronics Maintenance Technician in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I have been working at US Marine Corps

Pros

Top notch training and opportunities. Compensation education benefits medical benefits for families

Cons

Deployments working long hours. Could be called out on short notice. Must be able to work in all climates. Good thing for some bad thing for some is you must stay in good physical condition.

Manage subordinates well.

This experience serving under the highest of Honorable Men has been the best experience life could offer.

Former Contractor - Marine Corps Infantry Rifleman/Gunner in Camp Lejeune, NC (US)

I worked at US Marine Corps as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

You mature into a person of reason and respect, and learn to become a better follower and a better leader. You train to face your enemies and fears head on and never give up. You never leave a man behind. You build experiences that last a lifetime.

Cons

It is tough. It will break you. It will bring out pains and emotions you've never felt before. It will test your metal.

Promotions only come to those who are of the highest caliber, who stand the tests of time, and who can prove their commitment in the face of life and death situations.

Very beneficial experience

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The best reasons to join the Marine Corps is the challenge, opportunities to succeed based on your performance, and opportunities to impact the lives of others. Service in any branch of service offers numerous benefits, the best benefit is the pride of serving your country.

Cons

Being a Marine requires sacrifice...physically, mentally, and from your family

The Marine Corps should focus more on professionalizing military occupations, providing members with civilian equivalent certifications and minority mentorship in the officer community. The current focus is on recruiting, but should be shifted toward retention and mentorship. More minority officers should be remaining on active duty and getting promoted.

One Tough Road

Former Employee - E5 - Marines - Sergeant in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - E5 - Marines - Sergeant in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lifelong friendships with fellow Marines,
    Being part of a professional, elite organization, great traditions, chance for travel, unique experiences, chance to train with excellent weapons, decent pay and benefits, college benefits, good leadership, great training

Cons

Some commands have bad leadership. Expect to be treated harshly at least until you become good at your job and pick up rank. An adverse discharge can ruin your life. Long hours. Difficult coworkers and bosses. Stressful work environment. [Now that DADT has been repealed] increased chance of male on male sexual assault according to peer reviewed scholarly articles.

Better screening of Staff Noncommissioned Officers, some of them are quite terrible and are able to cheat in order to get promoted.

Really good experience that can set you up for success for what ever you do after

I have been working at US Marine Corps

Pros

Learn a lot of leadership and stress management. Get free education and stability in a career and income.

Cons

What you do in the marines and where you go is not always up to you. Mission comes before family.

Lead from the front not just do as I say and not as I do. Get rid of the superficial expectations.

The Marine Corps is an amazing place to work.It was my first job and I loved the experience i got from it.

Current Contractor - E4 - Marines - Corporal in Twentynine Palms, CA (US)
    Current Contractor - E4 - Marines - Corporal in Twentynine Palms, CA (US)

I have been working at US Marine Corps as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Excellent benefits including $4,500 awarded annually for college
    -Free Medical
    -Free Housing
    -Excellent Vacation time(2.5 days per month)
    -Free Meals
    -Excellent programs to benefit personal and work life

Cons

-Depending on MOS,, its possible to be stationed far from home
    -Need to be able to hold ones composure among relevant tasks
    -Higher ups may be younger than you if you didn't join out of highschool

I believe a tighter budget for units. I believe the way it is now some organizations view it as trivial.

It's what you make of it

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay, decent benefits, it's easy to find information about your job

Cons

Lack of personal freedom at times, lots of hours, sometimes working in harsh environments