US Department of State

Updated 11 December, 2014
3.9

US Department of State Secretary of State John Kerry
John Kerry

Pros
  • If you work for the Foreign Service, you get to see the world in so many meaningful ways (in 30 reviews)

• See the world while serving your country (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • The biggest turn off for me were actually the foreign service officers (in 32 reviews)

• This can dramatically impact work-life balance for years at a time (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Itern

I worked at US Department of State as an intern

Pros

Great way to get a feeling for how the organization operates. Build a knowledge of the organizational structure.

Cons

You are limited in your portfolio. There wasn't enough time to see a project from start to completion.

Overseas Experience

Current Employee - Pol/EconOne of the "-stans"
    Current Employee - Pol/EconOne of the "-stans"

I have been working at US Department of State as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great opportunity to get experience in diplomacy. "You'll get the most out of this and we'll get the most out of you if we treat you like an FSO, so that's what we're going to do." Housing was provided, although this isn't as likely in some of the European posts. Great way to experience foreign culture, and one of the few USG internships that you can do overseas.

Cons

The expat community can be pretty insular. Workload was bipolar- sometimes we had too much work and were struggling to keep up, other times I came into work and read the news all day.

I love it!

I worked at US Department of State full-time

Pros

Great place to work. There is a lot to do and every day is different.

Cons

You will always be living in different places.

Summer Intern

I worked at US Department of State as an intern

Pros

Depends on which office you're in. I worked in a office where the number of staff was small so there was much more interaction between interns and the staff. I was also given much more autonomy over my projects and felt like I learned a lot from the summer internship.

Cons

Some interns shared that in other offices, they did more routine paperwork and assistance. These offices were usually bigger so there wasn't as much interaction between staff and interns.

Working for the State Department was a great experience.

Former Employee - Information Assistant
    Former Employee - Information Assistant

I worked at US Department of State full-time

Pros

Interesting work, smart and capable colleagues, collaboration and opportunities to make a difference.

Cons

Need to sensitive to and aware of a variety of issues at all times.

Exciting but unpredictable

I have been working at US Department of State

Pros

You get to see the world

Cons

Limited control over where you go - subject to fate

Great Experience

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at US Department of State full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked in an office within the Bureau of European and Eurasian Affairs. It was fast paced and always interesting. If you are considering a career in the Foreign Service, this is a great way to find out if the work if for you.

Cons

You work for free for long hours. It is expensive to live in D.C. The bureaucracy of the State Department can get really frustrating.

Rewarding, mostly, despite the bureaucracy

I worked at US Department of State

Pros

Making a significant contribution; helping people
    Good pay and benefits
    Variety of challenges, varied activities within any given workday
    Get to work with intelligent good-hearted people

Cons

The bureaucracy. Can be frustrating, slow, and offer little room for creativity
    Poor managers: while subject matter expertise is important, these people often do not make the best managers nor do they seem to like the role
    Being dependent on an annual budget from Congress, which is always late, makes it hard to plan.

Take morale problems seriously and take steps to address them

Fulfilling work, great coworkers, see the world

Current Employee - Foreign Service Officer
    Current Employee - Foreign Service Officer

I have been working at US Department of State full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've enjoyed my first two experiences with the Foreign Service. If you come in on the track that is the best fit for you (in my case, Political) you should enjoy it. The bureaucracy actually takes care of you pretty well, contrary to what many assume of the federal government. The work is varied and sometimes exciting. If you're talented and work hard, you can do good things for your country. If you're up for living abroad most of your life -- away from your family, core friends, and support network -- you'll have some amazing experiences. Pay and benefits are good - a big step up from my non-profit past. I also have a lot more autonomy than I had in the non-profit world; as a Foreign Service Officer you are rather empowered to do what's best for your country.

Cons

Unfortunately State has been overshadowed or muscled out more often than it should be other, better-funded agencies of the government (Defense, etc.) I've had some bosses who stand up for State's rightful territory but others who have not. Also, you REALLY have to be dedicated to government service and living overseas for years at a time, in places that may not be your first choice. If not, don't sign up.

Internal Audit Manager, Bureau of Overseas Buildings Operations (part-time contract)

Former Employee - Internal Audit Manager in Arlington, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Internal Audit Manager in Arlington, VA (US)

I worked at US Department of State part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great colleagues, interesting work with extensive overseas travel

Cons

bureaucratic, a contract job with no advancement opportunities, but ideal for a retiree. Must have foreign service and audit or financial management experience to qualify

US Department of State Photos