US Department of Defense

US Department of Defense Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

US Department of Defense CEO Chuck Hagel

Chuck Hagel

Pros
  • Great job security working with the federal Government(in 45 reviews)

• There are a number of policies in place that benefit work-life balance(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Requires long hours, time away from your family and lack of upward mobility(in 28 reviews)

• Salary is lower than private sector, system can be very rigid at times, but usually ok(in 17 reviews)

Overall good place

ProsThe work is meaningful which is a big plus. They also provide a good work life balance.

ConsThere is a severe bottle neck at the top so you can only go so far so fast. They also have a union; which is just horrible in a white collar environment.

Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGuaranteed pay check every 2 weeks

ConsPoor management doesn't care for workers

Job Security

Logistics Management Specialist (Former Employee) Warner Robins, GA (US)

ProsGreat job security working with the federal Government.

ConsEmployee must be in control of career and must taking mentoring and networking into their own hands.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore management involvement to help with career development.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Human Resource Specialist

Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee) Dayton, OH (US)

ProsTelework, flextime, health benefits, holidays, sick leave, and general agency policy is good. Working for the DOD is an excellent opportunity

ConsDue to budget constraints, there are many unfilled vacancies that add an overwhelming job workload to each employee.

Great work/life balance, but professionally unfulfilling.

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee)

Pros- Work/Life balance
    - Pay (in spite of stereotypes stating the opposite)
    - Benefits (i.e., vacation, sick leave, compressed schedule, etc.)

Cons- Limited ability to influence work due to contracts in place
    - Large bureaucracy
    - No mechanism in place to motivate poor performers (reliance on "horses")
    - Frustrating when ideas are squashed because contractors are really in charge

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is good, but they are beholden to the contracts that are signed and the systems that are in place. This is not the place to be if you enjoy hands on, creative, innovative work.

Staff Officer

Staff Officer (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsDepartment of Defense is a great place to gain experience, and at the same time, serve the country. Training and education opportunities are available for many people.

ConsExtremely poor senior management with a short-sighted view of current and future personnel requirements. Merit is not a consideration in personnel moves, which is difficult to comprehend to the uninitiated.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to your employees, retire so new people can take charge.

But we've always done it this way!

ProsNice work/life balance, flexible hours and beautiful scenary

Consculture, management, bad employees that do not work yet cannot get fired.

Safe Job

ProsJob security is good, I don't live in fear of being laid off. The locations of jobs are good, there are several types to choose from.

ConsRed Tape, dealing with leadership that doesn't understand your role. I used to be very happy working at the local base level however, things seem to be getting worse. Lots of rules coming down that require more work but we have less people. These rules don't make much sense in my field and as a result it causes a lot of frustration. I'm happy with my current position but not content.

Good pay and benefits, wishy washy management

Child and Youth Program Assistant (Former Employee) Schofield Barracks, HI (US)

ProsGood pay and benefits, retirement, 401k, health/dental ins etc. After completing training raises after two levels of $1 piece. Relationships made with families

ConsManagement was all over the place, say something different everyday as per policy, didn't seem to have real interest at heart for the care given.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet priorities straight, Listen more to needs of staff.

Overall a great place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStability, family life is good. Able to establish great relationships.

ConsLittle pay increases, furloughs inevitable. Hard to get a higher paying position. Pay and hiring freezes seem like they will never end!

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer your employees more ways to better themselves, more training, courses to take that can enhance their skills.

Worked for US Department of Defense? Contribute to the Community!