US Coast Guard

www.uscg.mil

US Coast Guard Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

US Coast Guard Commandant of the Coast Guard Admiral Robert J. Papp, Jr.

Admiral Robert J. Papp, Jr.

Pros
  • Free training, steady pay and benefits(in 9 reviews)

• Great benefits, ethical work force, and the APO division is very well administered(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Generally spend great amount of time away from family(in 12 reviews)

• Inherent in the missions is the likelihood of time away from home for stretches of a few weeks or even months(in 11 reviews)

Excellent opportunity to serve your country while honing leadership and management skills.

Military Officer (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsGreat organization to work for. Takes excellent care of its people. Full benefits to include medical and dental. Retirement opportunities after only 20 years of service.

ConsThe biggest con would have to be the requirement to move from place to place every 2-4 years. It can be difficult for a family to feel a sense of community although it can be overcome.

Great Organization to work for

ProsSteady employment from four years to thirty years. Excellent benefits

ConsEnlisted have to retire after serving 30 years while officers can do up to 40 years

USCG

ProsGreat organization
    Family oriented
    Take care of their members

Consconstantly moving every 3-4 years
    very bureaucratic
    currently downsizing

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to move from old school micro-management and centralized style of leading to modern leadership of empowerment and innovation

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing work environment and colleagues

Clerk (Former Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsThe Coast Guard "does more with less people." It's a small community and everyone works incredibly hard and supports one another. You get tons of experience quickly and have a great network of people around you. People are incredibly motivated and it's just the best work place.

ConsWith the federal government making budget cuts across the board, room for advancement has become more limited in recent years. I think things are starting to improve, but it's always a slow process with the federal government.

Good organization

Electronics Technician (Former Employee) Alameda, CA (US)

ProsGood pay as a senior member

Consnone that I can think of

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Excellent Opportunities for Career Development

US Coast Guard Chief Warrant Officer (Current Employee)

ProsIt is an excellent opportunity to learn a career trade. The US Coast Guard is part of the Department of Homeland Security but you get all the same benefits of those military members part of the Department of Defense. You have excellent stability as long as you meet the minimum requirements of the service and if you keep your nose clean.

ConsYou will run into bad leaders but for the most part leadership is pretty good.

A career in the United States Coast Guard

Pros30 days of vacation earned each year, as well as health and dental insurance provided to the member and family. Tuition assistance and GI bill available to each member.

ConsTraining is very limited as are the varieties of opportunities available. It is also very hard to promote through the ranks. As an enlisted member the wait time to get job specific training can take up to 3 plus years in some cases.

Congress is failing the CG

Machinery Technician (Former Employee) Detroit, MI (US)

ProsExperience translates into the private sector. The pay is good if you make rank quickly. So don't slack and be a 8 year E4

ConsBudget issues, aging fleet, the government changes contracts to better their own stance. If you get a DUI off duty you are gone.

Advice to Senior ManagementStand up to congress. Also the standards to get in, and make it to retirement are almost impossible. No one is perfect.

Life could be better....don't go OS.

Operations Specialist (Current Employee) Honolulu, HI (US)

ProsTricare, cool stations, and COLA.

ConsLeadership is unheard of in this organization. They advance by taking test instead of peer reviews which is asinine. Therefore you have people in leadership roles that are good test takers but can't relate to those they oversee nor can the communicate. Bravo Zulu Coast Guard on a job well done...sheesh. With all this said they are losing good people who care because crappy leaders can't motivate nor can they delegate.

THE PAY IS AWFUL! I got out and found a job that paid 10 times more than I was making in that horrible service.

Advice to Senior ManagementWouldn't matter.

Exciting work, difficult bureaucracy...

Port Engineer (Former Employee) New Orleans, LA (US)

ProsThere are ample opportunities for great experiences and leadership development. Oftentimes you are given opportunities to make a direct impact in the operations of the Service.

ConsThere is a lot of micromanaging and certain positions require you to work 60-70 hours a week or more. Despite claims to the contrary the Service is less a meritocracy and more of a "don't rock the boat" atmosphere. High performers wanting to make a difference tend to be drowned out or shut up.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for US Coast Guard? Contribute to the Community!