UPS

3.5
3,158 Reviews

UPS Chief Executive Officer David Abney
David Abney

Pros
  • Part-time supervisor position is helpful due to possible tuition reimbursement (in 248 reviews)

• Very structured organization with great benefits and hard working employees (in 246 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is the biggest challenge, specifically for Management employees (in 94 reviews)

• part-time but sometimes you only work for an 1 hour which total waist of time (in 169 reviews)

More Highlights

totally utdoors and a physical and a rough job

I have been working at UPS

Pros

outdoors and dynamic, get to walk around and be mobile as well as to meet different people

Cons

working in cold weather and all other weather conditions

raise the base salay, walkera deserve it

Nothing matters except the package!

Current Employee - Management in Calgary, AB
    Current Employee - Management in Calgary, AB

I have been working at UPS

Pros

Money and benefits. You are paid well after you do your wage progression under the union contract.

Cons

Hypocrisy rules! Management lies! As long as you do your job and be a "yes sir" type of person, you will survive. You will be backstabbed right after being told how good you are. If you call in sick, you will be backstabbed even more. Just show up for work, shut up, do not cause any problems and you will do well

I am the only management that I know who has tried to treat people with respect. I have tried to be decent, but I also try to stand up for myself. The 2 bosses I answer to verbally abuse me and are not interested in me being anything but a "yes" man. I don't get to have an opinion, and I most certainly do not deserve to be yelled at on a regular basis. I do the best I can to do my job well as it is a very personal matter of pride that I take in myself. This treatment has made me want to die rather than return to work. I stay for the financial benefits. Why do you allow management to create an atmosphere that would make a person choose to die than to keep working for your company? Why do you allow management to yell at employees? We are supposed to be an example. We need to inspire staff. I have asked HR why they allow managers to yell at their staff, why do we as a company permit this kind of behavior, and they have no answer for me except the story of how things were in the 50 's. Really?

Decent pay way overworked Hugh stress

Current Employee - UPS Driver in Winnipeg, MB
    Current Employee - UPS Driver in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at UPS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay after 2.5 years $28 an hour.

Cons

Way overworked basically required to work 60 hour weeks no thank you for going above and beyond management are like slave drivers if you get back at a decent time like 6 your supervisor will be waiting for you at the centre and yell at you to back out and help someone if you work for ups say goodbye to family time also most drivers develope a drinking problem due to the nature of the job high stress

Fire a few supervisors and re work the runs hire more drivers.

Driver with wage theft

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Delta, BC
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Delta, BC

I worked at UPS full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-pay is higher after 2.5 years of seniority
    -work independently

Cons

-u can show up for work as a new hire driver, and they will have no work for you, and they expect you to go home without being paid! when i complained i was fired.

-company does not provide you with cell phone, even though it is required to do your job.
    -lifting extremely heavy packages alone
    -a driver got carjacked. in addition car driving jobs are high risk for mortality
    -no radio in cars. no gps allowed
    -pay is only $13/hr first 2.5 years which is below market rates.
    -12 hour days during xmas season.
    -hard on the knees.
    -when its not busy u have to take mandatory 50 min unpaid break every day
    -driver seats are old and uncomfortable.

if you dont treat your employees better; the workers may strike and do a sit in and take over the company and fire the bosses

They will never change

Former Employee - UPS Driver in Saint-Jérôme, QC
    Former Employee - UPS Driver in Saint-Jérôme, QC

I worked at UPS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I don't see any I'm gone from that place aren't I?

Cons

They where ripping off people when I worked there and they are still doing it even worst today People screamed at me when I told them it was COD and I had to collect customs and taxes and people would get VERY angry at me. Now I never get angry at the driver (been there done that) but I do get pissed off at the company now and give them a piece of my mind. They are still stealing from people.

Administrative Assistant

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Burlington, ON
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Burlington, ON

I have been working at UPS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Security, room to grow -but based on connections, good work-life balance, good benefits, variety of work environment

Cons

pay, career advancement is based on connections, big facility, sometimes very disorganized and chaotic

One of the worst companies that I have worked for!

Former Employee - Air Driver in Calgary, AB
    Former Employee - Air Driver in Calgary, AB

I worked at UPS part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I was able to get a part-time position but they lied to me about which shift I would be given.

Cons

No communication from management. No transparency. They want to 'watch' and keep tabs on you at all times but we have no idea what goes on in the back offices. They have hidden agenda's. I kept track of my time-sheet information and I feel like I was ripped off at least 15 minutes a week. This adds up... and is not right for a company that is supposed to pay you by the minute. You don't get any say in what route they assign you to and you get moved around a lot.

You have to have a different mentality to work in Management at UPS. You don't care about people in general. And, most people in management have addiction issues or are sick... too much stress.

Sales Representative

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I have been working at UPS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great training and Development program

Cons

Cant thing of any for the company

Great career progress environment

Nothing special

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at UPS

Pros

The benefits are nice, and the drivers are protected by a union. The prestige of working for a large company is also a positive when looking for advancement elsewhere.

Cons

Advancement with the company is a slow process. Often drivers must pay their dues and work full time hours with little compensation advancements.

Be less driven with performance metrics and take care of the front line workers (drivers) with adequate advancement.

Great job, Horrible bosses

Current Employee - Early AM Preloader in Edmonton, AB
    Current Employee - Early AM Preloader in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at UPS part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I did the early morning shift and loved that shift for the rest of my life schedule. The guys I worked with were awesome and I loved the physical aspect of unloading the trucks.

Cons

The management is ludicrous. 1 out of the 3 supervisors is just quiet and keeps the peace, mostly. The other 2 are absolute idiots. Both of them were ignorant and barked orders at us like we were dogs. They NEVER once listened to the employees as to what might work better and could care less about safety concerns that were brought up.

Take the time to listen to the people that are doing the grunt jobs. We are the ones in the know because we're there, doing this work every day. Stop promoting people because they've been there a long time - they still have to have supervisor/management skills to be effective in managing people. If they took them time to speak to their employees with respect and actually hear what people have to say, maybe the turnover wouldn't be so high.