UPS

3.3 2,358 reviews

UPS Chairman and CEO D. Scott Davis

D. Scott Davis

(1,092 ratings)

Pros
  • I was unloading trucks for 5 or 6 months before I got promoted to Part-Time Supervisor(in 222 reviews)

• Very structured organization with great benefits and hard working employees(in 209 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is the biggest challenge, specifically for Management employees(in 82 reviews)

• I just got hired as a full time driver have to be in a casual drivers for months(in 149 reviews)

2,358 Employee Reviews

Sales Representative

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsGreat training and Development program

ConsCant thing of any for the company

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat career progress environment

One of the worst companies that I have worked for!

Air Driver (Former Employee) Calgary, AB

ProsI was able to get a part-time position but they lied to me about which shift I would be given.

ConsNo communication from management. No transparency. They want to 'watch' and keep tabs on you at all times but we have no idea what goes on in the back offices. They have hidden agenda's. I kept track of my time-sheet information and I feel like I was ripped off at least 15 minutes a week. This adds up... and is not right for a company that is supposed to pay you by the minute. You don't get any say in what route they assign you to and you get moved around a lot.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have to have a different mentality to work in Management at UPS. You don't care about people in general. And, most people in management have addiction issues or are sick... too much stress.

Nothing special

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsThe benefits are nice, and the drivers are protected by a union. The prestige of working for a large company is also a positive when looking for advancement elsewhere.

ConsAdvancement with the company is a slow process. Often drivers must pay their dues and work full time hours with little compensation advancements.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe less driven with performance metrics and take care of the front line workers (drivers) with adequate advancement.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great job, Horrible bosses

Early AM Preloader (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB

ProsI did the early morning shift and loved that shift for the rest of my life schedule. The guys I worked with were awesome and I loved the physical aspect of unloading the trucks.

ConsThe management is ludicrous. 1 out of the 3 supervisors is just quiet and keeps the peace, mostly. The other 2 are absolute idiots. Both of them were ignorant and barked orders at us like we were dogs. They NEVER once listened to the employees as to what might work better and could care less about safety concerns that were brought up.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to listen to the people that are doing the grunt jobs. We are the ones in the know because we're there, doing this work every day. Stop promoting people because they've been there a long time - they still have to have supervisor/management skills to be effective in managing people. If they took them time to speak to their employees with respect and actually hear what people have to say, maybe the turnover wouldn't be so high.

Not bad but we should get better pay/raises

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Fredericton, NB

Pros- pay is merely ok
    - tuition reimbursment program (but with limitations)
    - flexible
    - some great people to work with but sups/managers are hit and miss
    - various shifts

Cons- pay is ok but not what it use to be. Use to start employees out at $4-$5 above min wage, now they start at $1 above min wage.
    - tuition reimbursment program only for Computer science or Business students, unfair for other students
    - micromanaged
    - rarely recognize employees - they use to have employee of the month, pizza parties, bbqs, luncheons, prizes, xmas turkey, christmas parties, etc., to motivate and increase moral - management did away with all that about 6-7yrs ago now it's a soul sucker of place to work - extremely low moral
    - recognition, when they do have it, is laughable - useless trinkents people just throw away, waste everyone's time and company money on junk
    - no company christmas parties really hurts moral - even McDonalds has xmas party, nothing for us. Really terrible when all my friends and family get to go to their company xmas party and we don't have one. Multi-billion dollar company and they refuse to have an xmas party for their employees. Come on UP(S - for scrooge)!!
    - management got rid of xmas turkeys
    - try to get supporting departments to the work of other departments ontop of their own work, which is almost impossible

Advice to Senior Managementhave xmas party for your employee, give decent raises to your employees, we have families too you know!

Overworked

Delivery Driver (Current Employee) Winnipeg, MB

ProsGood pay, really wish they wouldnt overwork all their employees

ConsWay way overworked can't say no to overtime 60-65 hour work week equals no family time.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more drivers spread out the work.

Anonymous

ProsStable Company with a long term vision

ConsToo much Micro Management within

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your Sales People well

Overtime Giant

Courier (Former Employee) Calgary, AB

ProsGood wage, good benefits, union

ConsNo job recognition, not a great job for a family person as you have no life outside of this job except on weekends

Advice to Senior ManagementStructure the routes better and perhaps the turnover wouldn't be so high. Try working with the better employees to balance a family life.

good after 27 years of service

Prosworking outside has pro and cons but the people are the real nice thing about this job

Consruthless management staff that only have one agenda,them

Intense, unrelenting

ProsWorkaholics are in their glory. Best in the industry in all areas.

ConsConstantly striving to manage the unmanageable and squeeze more performance from every asset. Bullying senior management.

Worked for UPS? Contribute to the Community!