UCLA

UCLA Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

UCLA Chancellor Gene D. Block

Gene D. Block

Pros
  • work life balance is good with flexible options available (in 17 reviews)

• Casual work environment with high expectations (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to balance teaching and course load at the same time, especially as a graduate student (in 12 reviews)

• Budget cuts and draconian restructuring methods on the horizon are only making these problems worse (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent for new faculty

Assistant Professor (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent environment, open collaboration policy across campus. For assistant professor in particular lots of encouragement, support, and, above all great transparency in the advancement and tenure hurdle. Overall just great.

ConsPerhaps some bureaucracy could be reduced, but it doesn't weigh to much on one's schedule. The teaching load is slightly higher than other comparable research institutions.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe teaching load and balance between amount of students and professors in a department should be given more attention.

Graduate Research Assistant

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsFlexible schedules, vibrant working atmosphere. The health benefits are pretty good and dental is included.

ConsThe pay is rather low. For most RAs they work longer than the hours they get paid.

A great work environment, generally cordial, friendly, and excellent quality of research

Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsExcellent research environment and caliber of scientists and doctors, a bit on the laid back side in terms of people interactions, ideal weather.

ConsThere are no cons any different from any other place and would be specific to a particular boss. Salaries are much lower than corporate as expected of academia.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

T/A

Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsEnvironment, people, learning experience, professors are nice to deal with.

ConsLow pay, no benefits, work isn't very challenging at all.

My postdoctoral experience at UCLA

Postgraduate Researcher (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsGreat weather, great university, best seminars. Housing is fantastic

Consnone that I can think of

Excellent place to work, amazing colleagues

ProsAwesome benefits, full medical, dental, vision. Generous benefits package and retirement plan. Great work life balance

ConsBureaucracy is difficult to navigate, working for a large entity like the UC can be challenging as there are many policies in place that are nonsensical. Salaries are likely lower due to the fact that we are california state employees

UCLA is, for the most part, a great place to work.

Development Officer (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsUCLA offered great benefits-medical, dental, retirement, health/wellness support, etc. Makes a real effort to create ways to balance work and life. Always something exciting going on that faculty and staff could participate in. Chancellor and Mrs. Block were very approachable, and down to earth, and care deeply for the campus community. I worked in Development in a campus unit, so reported to both the unit and the central external affairs office. External Affairs was a very supportive environment that offered frequent professional development opportunities to staff. Also very collaborative group of colleagues across campus, for the most part.

ConsSpeaking specifically about external affairs, a bit bureaucratic and often difficult to get things done. Definitely seemed to be campus favorites in terms of who got attention from the higher ups in external affairs. Some of the smaller units, or those that were perceived as not as prestigious or important, were often overlooked or brushed over. In all fairness, this is not unique to UCLA, but is this way at most institutions of higher education. Also, in External Affairs I did not receive one single performance evaluation from my supervisors in all the years I was there, even though I asked. Luckily I received them from the head of my academic unit.

Advice to Senior ManagementEA could do a better job of listening to their development staff in the units when it comes to staffing their own departments, and knowing what is reasonable or not in terms of setting goals. Often these things were dictated for us by EA without good reason, and without consultation with either development staff in the unit or with the head of the academic unit.

Many resources but connections important

ProsGreat people, lots of talent, many resources

ConsLots of politics, relations with management goes a long way

Excellent workplace, great environment

Assistant (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsGreat communication amongst coworkers, treated with respect

ConsToo quiet sometimes and a bit slow, can be boring

My first experience in teaching was made easy by the system.

Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsA very good place to gain new skills and network with some of the best in your field. Moreover, all the staff members involved are helpful which makes an "outsider" feel at ease so that they can focus on their work instead of having to worry about the logistics of working there.

ConsSome people may find it to be a fast-paced work environment.

Worked for UCLA? Contribute to the Community!