TripAdvisor Reviews

Updated 21 October, 2014
3.6

TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer

Pros
  • Great work life balance, fun atmosphere, they try hard to please employees with functions and swag (in 17 reviews)

• There is free lunch on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor performers are consistently promoted due to "friendships" they have with senior management (in 9 reviews)

• So far, so good with work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing place to work!

Current Employee - Content Specialist in Newton, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Content Specialist in Newton, MA (US)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Tons of great benefits, flexible schedule, relaxed work environment. TA is a company that understands the needs of your personal and family life, and is very flexible when situations arise. Exciting to work for a company that is still growing and has so much room to grow.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any cons.

Not as good as it used to be

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work with really smart people. Benefits are fantastic and the company really supports charities.

Cons

Your time at TripAdvisor really depends upon which department you are in, we are continuously told that we are an engineering and product company which doesn’t do much for morale if you’re not in one of those teams.
    Employees who joined the company a few years back are being left behind when it comes to salary increases and career development.
    We talk a lot about risk taking, but this doesn’t really apply when it comes to recruitment as senior roles are often open a long time and employees take advantage of the situation.

Start valuing employees outside engineering and product, its not just them that make the company successful.
    The Exec Team need to be more visible and communicative rather than assume they know what’s going on.
    Stop saying we’re a small company that just happens to have a lot of people – we're neither.

TripAdvisor Response

Oct 09, 2014Director of HR

I agree—TripAdvisor is filled with smart people---and not just in engineering and product management. While Product and Engineering are important for our success, there’s so many other teams that are ... More

Great Work/Life Balance in a "Speed Wins" Environment

Current Employee - Senior Content Specialist in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Content Specialist in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The work environment is very collaborative and enjoyable. The company truly cares about their employees and offers great benefits. Everyone at this company is incredibly smart and you will learn something new from your peers every day. Things move very fast at TripAdvisor as the company still tries to keep its "start-up like feel" even though it is well beyond that point. Despite the "Speed Wins" Motto, this company promotes a great work-life balance and encourages its employees to travel and have fun.

Cons

If you are looking to grow laterally or switch tracks within the company it can be harder to do than at other companies. They offer classes in other areas to encourage their employees to grow, but in terms of making an actual title/role switch it seems hard to do.

The great stuff is fantastic and the not so great stuff is not so great.

Former Employee - Support Function in Newton, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Support Function in Newton, MA (US)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are some wonderful people across all the departments; very smart, engaging, passionate about their work. I genuinely looked forward to seeing my co-workers every day. Their benefits are amazing and they do a really great job of staying on top of what the competition is doing in order to attract and keep talent. They feed you great food several times a week and the snack options are free and have everything from fruit to fritos. They are incredibly generous about trying to keep their employees happy with "stuff". The CEO is incredibly generous when it comes to supporting a variety of charitable organizations.

Cons

With the exception of one or two folks, the executive team seems completely uninterested in what the "worker bees" on their teams are doing. I think in the time I was there the exec for my group spoke to me a total of 10 minutes and that was because I approached her. I never saw her walk around and check in with folks -- I recognize they are extremely busy, but how hard is it to take 15 minutes a few times a month to walk around their departments, talk to people and make them feel like having them there makes a difference? The company is not THAT big and if you are still selling yourself as a start-up then you should know the folks on your teams.
    If you want to be promoted WHO you know is far more important than WHAT you know. Being a SME in your field and working hard is great, but it probably won't get you promoted, it will just get you more work.
    I will still refer friends to certain departments or teams, but I would make sure they know the good, the bad and the ugly and let them decide for themselves whether or not they want to pursue a career at Trip.

The exec team needs to put an emphasis on something other than core engineering (or at least place as much emphasis on...) and be more thoughtful and transparent around departmental "re-organizations" that make no business sense and address needless attrition of solid performers.

Good benefits but salary could be more competitive

Current Employee - Account Executive in Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get a great benefits package, which I never had in my previous jobs.
    Nice modern office
    Fruits and snacks for free, lunch discounts

Cons

Salary is very low and changes and decisions are made without thinking and testing them first.
    Sales Agents and Account Executives have to find out on their own (or by customer complain) about changes made to site, prices or CRM messaging.
    Employees are always asked for feedback, but in the end it always goes the other way round and their opinion is not counting at all.
    No internal communication between different departments.
    Management not qualified to lead a multi billion dollar company

Listen to the feedback give by the people on the phone, they speak with the customers and feed back what is really going on, and don't just act and than find out if it works or not.

Fast Pace, Data Driven

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you like to be at company that's winning, TA is a good place for you. The company is very data driven and is both innovating and iterating at a pace that will keep it ahead of competitors for a long time.

Pay is also competitive and there are many benefits and perks.

Cons

The pace is so fast that sometimes it can be overwhelming. Hiring can sometimes be slow which puts extra pressure on current employees.

Good company for engineers

Current Employee - Engineer in Newton, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Newton, MA (US)

I have been working at TripAdvisor as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

TripAdvisor hiring process is very selective and they hire top-notch engineers from top schools (MIT, Harvard), but TA also has no ass*e policy.
    Very technical environment. The CEO has software background. It's a data driven company.
    Very good perks: Free catered lunches 3 days a week, soda, snacks, pizza, gym on site, Mac laptops. Tech talks every Wednesday.
    Good compensation.
    Flexible hours, could work from home.
    The company promotes from within.

Cons

Hectic environment, some people put more than 60 hours/week.
    "Speed wins" mantra doesn't always work.
    The communication between the teams could be improved.
    Huge code base and sometimes difficult to maintain.

Great Product but Turnover is a major problem

Former Employee - Human Resources Mgt in Newton, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Mgt in Newton, MA (US)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunches, free food and drinks almost all the time. Young, fast moving culture and a great office space, moving to an even bigger office in the future. Great product, trusted source of travel reviews, company is making money.

Cons

Turnover! It seems like most of the groups are being impacted by turnover, a lot of employees have left the company for greener pastures, the performance rating process and raise %'s being very low for a company that is very profitable, seems to be the common thread. The HR team is non-existent, adds no value to the employees or senior management, and has had more turnover than any other group at Trip, even the most senior leader of HR left along with the leader of compensation. Not sure Senior Mgt knows how bad the turnover problem actually is.

Hire a consulting firm to determine the sources for all the turnover, outsource HR until a new team can be built from the ground up. Figure out the retention issue.

Innovative and fun environment!

Former Employee - Brand Marketing in Newton, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Brand Marketing in Newton, MA (US)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative, social, foster teamwork. If you ask, you will receive...maybe not immediately but in time.

Cons

Like I said, it takes time for ideas/projects to get approval. Little support from management so it can be difficult.

Create more opportunities to move up within the company, or even to explore other departments.

High growth company

Current Employee - Director in Newton, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Newton, MA (US)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Great benefits
    -Solid work/life balance
    -Good salary/bonus/stock
    -Free lunch and other perks

Cons

-Sometimes stressful (during deadlines, etc)
    -Headquarters technology isn't great for communicating with colleagues in other offices

Continue to listen to employee feedback---in all locations. Communicate how the company scales its values and processes with global growth--and really apply it to how we work in the day to day and the culture overall (in all offices). But overall, great co with a strong future.