TripAdvisor Reviews

Updated 12 April, 2015
228 reviews filtered by

Very nice company to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Salary, independence, friendly working atmosphere, great beneftis

Cons

sometimes decision making process takes ages...

2. I worked at TripAdvisor

Pros

Great culture (speed-win, ownership, decentralization, collaboration, work-life balance), great people, great products

Cons

far from boston, not a lot of young people

Advice to Management

keep maintaining all the awesome culture (speed-win, ownership, decentralization, collaboration, work-life balance)

3. Great company with great people and great products

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fun place to work, the people are great, casual work environment, dogs in the office, free food, catered lunch 3 times a week... There's really too much to mention.

Cons

There's a lot to do and you're definitely pushed. Sometimes there just aren't enough hours in the week.

5. Great place to work

I have been working at TripAdvisor

Pros

Awesome company to work cut

Cons

None can't think of any

Advice to Management

Noooo

6. Excellent! Challenging and interesting work. Great office!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at TripAdvisor

Pros

No insane hours. Amazing office perks. Great compensation.

Cons

Monthly company meetings. Not much else

Disingenuous

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart CEO
    Global leader in the space
    Great, high-margin, sustainable business model
    Known and trusted brand worldwide
    Growing
    Bright, experienced, talented and motivated colleagues
    Usually there is good work-life balance, interrupted by bursty but fairly regular insane stretches

Cons

An obsession with measurement leads to missing the bigger point all too often and driving perverse incentives as well as a silo'd, unhelpful org structure. A few examples - a product team wants to experiment with a promising new feature, and suspects it would drive more user engagement. But if that metric has not been previously identified as important or is difficult for someone in sr management to understand, then either the project will get killed or won't be applauded. Meanwhile a minor turn of the screw on a revenue-generating feature will require an all-hands on deck effort ironically without any holistic analysis of the ROI of that effort. In other words, hooray that we raised revenue on that feature by .5% but at what cost (direct cost and opportunity cost)? No one knows, because no one measured it. Further, you have sales or BD teams feverishly optimizing around their singular metric and potentially squandering a customer or partner opportunity for a value trade that is sub-optimal. If teams had better alignment and communication, TA could figure out the best first home for a customer and partner and work out the most logical order to grow that customer and mutual value. Sr management rarely cares about nor addresses this conflicts, it takes a few employees who care about the bigger picture - at direct personal cost to their own short-term success - to effectively do the right thing.

Lots of hiring but without any evident positive effect on the process and products. One eng group has grown 2-3x over the past year, and the release process is totally chaotic and broken. Honestly things worked better when we had a few great engineers vs this mess of people all stepping on each other.

The company constantly says that it is metrics-driven and a meritocracy, but when a team or an individual delivers on and *exceeds* stated goals (in some instances by 50%-300%), there is still unbelievably wide latitude given to management with annual reviews, awarding bonuses, and advancing employees -- coupled with the most opaque system I have ever witnessed. Zero transparency on the review, comp and bonus process. People should not be shocked during their annual reviews, especially when they over-deliver; they should be thanked and properly compensated. And - it should go without saying - employees should have expectations properly set by managers well ahead of the annual review. Much more training is needed here, and it needs to be pushed aggressively as a cultural norm to have open and host feedback with regularity.

Majority of the focus in on a few small teams to eke out teeny tiny improvements to optimize revenue

The weekly reports and product reviews talk about +.3% wins and similar micro-steps, which on the one hand makes sense for this relatively mature company, but also is about as dull as dirt in terms of interesting projects for smart people to work on longer term career objectives

Promotions are virtually nonexistent, but the company is happy to ask already-busy people to take on additional roles during times of turn over.

A lack of interest in retention has led to high turnover by really talented people up and down the seniority spectrum.

There has not been a head of HR in well over a year, which speaks volumes about where the priorities and values rest.

Lack of any organized effort to integrate acquisitions - teams, products, assets, etc.

New opportunities (revenue, tech, partner) have no logical evaluation process or home / team. You could take a promising oppty to 3 different teams without any commitment or next steps from them. As a result, Trip misses out all of the time on being early to market in new areas and then turns around and blames people internally for not being part of the "cool new thing." Also very US-centric sr mgmt team POV. If they have heard of the company or technology personally, then they (sometimes) rally behind it, but if it's huge in a foreign market, good luck getting anyone's attention until it's way too late to structure a substantive agreement.

Advice to Management

Senior management should launch an aggressive and humble 360 degree audit of itself and the talent at Trip.

This has been said before, but the exec team should take on a listening and learning perspective and assume it has strayed quite seriously in serving the broader team.

Forced ranking systems have been shown to be inherently flawed again and again across the market. What do I do if I have a team of rockstars, do you really want me to force rank someone great into a "needs improvement" category who has outperformed? On what basis?

Metrics have their place, but if they create perverse incentives, gamification of the system, and overly-complex matrices and endless reports that absorb employees' and managers' time (versus the work they should be doing), it's time to reconsider them. Also, if in some cases the reporting systems are unreliable, why are we tying incentives to them at all?

When the financial incentive to refer a new employee outpaces the likely bonus available to an existing employee, you can imagine what kind of motivators and messages that delivers.

Hire a competent COO STAT.

8. Great company!

I worked at TripAdvisor

Pros

Flexible training benefits salary vacation

Cons

Transparency work-life balance personal time

9. Good place to work and learn

I have been working at TripAdvisor

Pros

I have been working for tripadvior as a sales exective for last 2 years. It is good place to learn as there are lots of smart colleagues around. The management emphasizes on moving fast as the business environment is rapidly changing.

Cons

The company is global leader in travel industry, however the brand awareness is not so high in my country. Most people still don't know about tripadvisor yet.

Advice to Management

Need to localize the product in order to satisfy the needs of each market.

Misleading and Disingenuous, worker mill...

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lunch severed 3 days a week
    Snack bar with drinks
    Direct manager is pretty opened to work from home if needed

Cons

Where to begin. This is not a rant it is fact of what happened to me and others. They are very disingenuous during the hiring process. you are offered all these promises in the offer letter if you meet the goals. Your director and direct manager gives you a rave review and tells you that you are an exemplary employee and you have met and exceeded your goals and you are set for full bonus and salary increase this year. Then comes to actual salary increase of 0% and a tenth of the bonus promised in your offer letter. I was told this happens to everyone their first year, I had to ask, did I hear that right? yes I did. very disappointing when one leaves a very good job to come to TripAdvisor in hopes of bettering them selves and then they are lied to during the interview process and in the offer letter. the praise does not justify the raise (or lack of) In good conscience I could not recommend this company for employment. There is a very high turn over here as the work life experience isn't great and the treatment of workers in-regards to compensation. I worked weeks away from my family and 15 to 17 hour days building this company out, and there was no thanks. My direct manager and Director were great but at the VP level i believe they are out of touch and don't allow the lower management to have any intercourse in the compensation benefits other than rating their subordinates. Also it is hard to get anything done as the upper management in my group manages by intimidation, everyone has their management style but in this case it makes lower management overly nervous to take acceptable risk in doing the job. Some may say that this is my experience only but, please read other reviews, I am absolutely sure you will find others just like this, along with some good reviews. For a college hire this may be a good fit and jumping block but for a highly skilled professional like me it was literally a slap in the face and insult. I can understand a low salary increase or bonus if the company was doing bad but, TripAdvisor is doing great.

Advice to Management

Middle management should be removed and replaced. Follow through on your promises of compensation and bonus and do not deceive new hires.

I wish I could turn back time. This used to be a great place to work for

Current Employee - Telesales in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Telesales in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are great benefits to working for TripAdvisor: Great benefits like, free food 3 times a week, company shuttle to the T, so if you are like me and need to take public transportation this is huge, free health insurance, company events in the summer, typical big company perks. And throughout my time here I've met so many smart and talented people.

Cons

2 years ago this used to be a great place to work for. People were happy and were making money, especially if this was your first sales job. Last year it seems like everything just fell apart. If you have worked in Sales, DO NOT work her! No matter how hard you try, or how good you are, you will NOT be compensated. Their compensation plan is a complete JOKE. Less than 18% of their sales floor hit their quota and the goal is unrealistic and over-inflated.

I would advise those who are ambitious, intelligent and go-getters not to work for this company, as a Sales Rep. For the graduates, there is not any well structured compensation plan and there are consistent brick walls. The culture is strong and they make you believe it is the greatest place ever but it is not. In reality, the sales department is a shambles and is only successful off the other products that they offer.

The product hasn't changed in ages, but prices change every few months, so the sales reps and customers are confused and don't believe in it anymore. I have to admit that I have seen people getting promoted here, but almost all of them are either gone or looking for jobs. There's no job security anymore and everyone is afraid of losing their jobs, while managers pretend that there's a light at the end of the tunnel and are always having non-sense meetings trying to boast people's morale. The reality is no one makes money, the managers don't know what they are doing and they lack experience. Total broken attitudes of pointing fingers at employees a total management failure; it's despicable!

TURNOVER RATE IS OUTRAGEOUS* [for a reason!] It's sad because TripAdvisor was a once fantastic company that is collapsing quickly.

Again, this review is solely based on the sales department. I know many people from other positions who seem to be happy there. Who knows?

Advice to Management

Stop blaming your staff for your failures. Have Dara Khosrowshahi train your CEO for a month and teach you some sales techniques.
    Don't pride yourself when your staff quits, look at yourself and see where the problem comes from. So many good talent are walking right out the door.