TripAdvisor Reviews

Updated 21 October, 2014
3.6

TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer

Pros
  • Great work life balance, fun atmosphere, they try hard to please employees with functions and swag (in 17 reviews)

• There is free lunch on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor performers are consistently promoted due to "friendships" they have with senior management (in 9 reviews)

• So far, so good with work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Stressful place, poor leadership in USA, culture of blame, London team treatment sub-standard, US team call the shots.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Depends on who you're working alongside, some smart people. Limited perks of any use. Pay can be good if you're in Product, Engineering or Commercial side. A lot depends on your manager and whether they have any autonomy.

Cons

Too US centric, very little opportunities for London staff. US management poor communication (expectation that London team are telepathic and will know what has been widely communicated to US staff), culture of blame, can't manage talent, limited risk taking, over-hyped culture - basically a burn them and hire more staff attitude. Promotion to buddies and mostly US staff. Lack of appreciation of global nature of company - US lense on everything.

Get a leadership team that is made up of real leaders and not just yes men and women to the CEO. It's too much about Steve. Unless Steve says something, nothing can be decided. The CEO has a lot to answer for in terms of creating such a weak team.

Oct 10, 2014Director of HR

We're sorry to hear that you had a poor experience. As founder and CEO, Steve is involved in all key decisions. However, he manages by listening to all points of view and questioning things he ... More

Very satisfying

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pennington, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pennington, NJ (US)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

FANTASTIC work environment, beautiful new office, excellent managers, summer Friday program, benefits galore. Best practices tend to be followed on a day-to-day basis, and it is clear that everyone cares about the product we're putting out. Professional development is stressed through the company's Compass program. I was able to complete CISSP training for free, and I'm currently learning new programming languages in addition to Russian.

Cons

The Cruise Critic brand is located in Pennington, NJ which is just about the midpoint between New York and Philadelphia. Because of the location it is difficult to fill Software Engineer positions, as many people are not willing to travel so far to get to work.

It might be a good idea to move the tech department of Cruise Critic closer to New York (or Philadelphia) in order to expand the talent pool.

Nice company to work with

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very friendly atmosphere but the job it self can be very stressful and makes you to go for different opportunity.Nice people, good social life.

Cons

High level of stress, lack of written procedures.I won't advise to a friend

In this place opportunities are for everyone, so sometimes management can be very young and without experience

Great place to work!

I have been working at TripAdvisor

Pros

Good work life balance. Very smart people to work with. Very fast paced environment.

Cons

Be prepared to move really fast.

Don't ruin your career by working here

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA (US)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits
    very flexible
    some great people

Cons

no room for growth
    too flexible - ruins good work habits
    management is seriously bad in a lot of groups
    company is all about the best and the brightest without building a strong foundation first
    CEO has no business sense and lucked into this, his words
    bad employees were allowed to bully people and nothing is done about it

Clean house at the top
    look within to find great talent, they know your business and have lots of ideas
    speed doesn't win, seriously, it doesn't
    build you business, don't run around like you have ADHD
    create accountability
    get rid of those people who make others miserable

Great!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA (US)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing benefits including free healthcare, gym reimbursement, shuttles from Central and Kendall Square, free snacks, and much more

Cons

Not many, but some might pop up with the continued rapid expansion of the company. So far, so good with work-life balance.

Keep up the good work!

Great benefits but low on internal promotions

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Benefits are amazing: Yoga at work, catered lunch 3 days a week, travel benefits and more!

Cons

Once you're in a position it's very tough to get promoted.

Put your money to promoting your current internal employees and you won't need to provide huge bonuses for referrals.

No a good career move

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Newton, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Newton, MA (US)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free lunch, unlimited free snacks, great italian coffee machines all over the bldg and refrigerators stocked with every drink imaginable

Cons

There is no flow of information, no transparency and if you are not at the top of the food chain of management it's as if you don't exist

Read these reviews and listen to what people are saying. You can only stay arrogant for so long before the way you treat people catches up with you.

Have a conscience

Oct 09, 2014Director of HR

Thank you for your candid review. It’s concerning to hear that you feel like we value arrogance over humility. One of our core values is moving fast. Part of this is being humble enough to know when ... More

Treats their acquisitions like dirt!

I have been working at TripAdvisor

Pros

Company benefits are way above others. Very generous! Good job!

Cons

As a newly acquired employee, they have treated us like second class citizens, talking down to us, and come across completely uncoordinated in their approach toward acquisitions.

A cast of thousands all doing their own thing with no communication and coordination amongst each other.

Figure out your acquisition strategy and figure it out.

Oct 09, 2014Director of HR

Welcome! And thank you for your frank feedback. I’m disappointed to hear that you haven’t had a positive experience. However, we’re continuing to learn how to best manage acquisitions. We recognize ... More

Treats people really well, limited opportunities for promotion

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Great place to work, as it's a culture that cares if you get your work done, but lets you have a good time while doing it. Camaraderie is great within teams, and collaboration between teams is getting better. Very flexible for work/life balance.

Cons

Not a ton of opportunities for growth, communication between teams could use improvement