TripAdvisor

TripAdvisor Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer

Stephen Kaufer

Pros:
  • "benefits are good, free lunch, outting, etc"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Benefits are good, some groups work well and are collaborative"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Poor performers are consistently promoted due to "friendships" they have with senior management"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Sure, the company went through some growing pains, which is understandable"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Just okay

Software Development Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at TripAdvisor as an intern for less than a year

Pros1. Great working environment! Free snack and soda.
2. People are friendly and like to help each other.

Cons1. Although they said that they require people to handle both front-end and back-end, they keep giving me front-end job, no chance to touch their back-end at all! Maybe because I am just an intern.
2. My manager seems don't care about my project. He has no idea what I was doing, and even doesn't care whether I can finish it or not.
3. Seems my team doesn't care about the intern. No welcome and farewell lunch, which is unusually compared to the other team.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor some managers, although we are intern, please pay a little bit attention to us!!! We are your team member, and not the air!

Flag Review

TripAdvisor Global Manager, Talent Acquisition responded to this review

Nov 06, 2013

Thanks for your feedback on our internship programs. It sounds like your experience as an intern could have been improved with more exposure to the management within your teams. This is helpful ... More

The customer is irrelevant

London, England (UK)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

ProsSalaries are competitive, the benefits are good, the office location in London is very central.

ConsFor a consumer brand TripAdvisor cares little about what the consumer actually wants. It is almost entirely a technology/product focused company with little insight into consumer behaviour, trends, or demands. In other words, it's all about "the click", or the short-term financial gain, as opposed to the long-term view of building a well-loved consumer brand.

They still use pop-ups - need I say more!?

Great company culture

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFriendly environment, great company culture that encourages personal career growth and movement within the organization.

ConsSome of the reporting tools and resources used are in house and not as robust as other companies.

Good Internship, flexible hours, small fast teams

I worked at TripAdvisor

ProsGood people, lots of fun. Located in Boston which is a nice change from the software's push towards California and NYC.

ConsNot as many perks as other tech companies with which they compete for employees, fewer intern activities than desired.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. Could be more emphasis on employee satisfaction.

sTrongGre

Content Representative (Former Employee)
Remote, OR (US)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

ProsStrong core values as a company, they really value employees. You'd be hard pressed to find better benefits. They care about their product and stay true to it.

ConsEvery job has a downside, my particular job as a remote content rep was great because it gave me flexibility in my schedule, but I found that the work was a bit repetitive and hard to do in one sitting. Not a big deal, but it's a little easy to burn out on. Great for those who need to work remotely. Pay is a little low for these positions, but again, it's nice to be remote and have flexibility.

"LIONS FOR LAMBS" for APAC Business Listing in Singapore office

Sales Executive (Former Employee)
Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time for less than a year

ProsGood Company Culture, and colleagues are friendly and mature enough to work closely together.
Company benefits are fantastics.
Strong sales-team members.

ConsPoor Management in APAC Business Listing, no guidance, no vision, no direction, and only one way communication which management did not take any action for every challenges that sales person feedback to them.

Sales Organization is led by Regional Sales manager who did not make any single call and not knowing the product and the market condition.

Sales Structured is very un-clear internally and externally.

Favoritism is too obvious.

Management did not protect every single deal that you bring in. And in fact we always encounter lost some of the deals to 3rd party reseller who can offer more discount to the client.

Management keep hiring new sales person even the market is bad and saturated.

No career growth in the company, you will be doing the same thing for years and many years.

Commission pay-out always delayed and happened many times, and they don't see the urgency and importance to pay commission in time. what a joke, this is sales organization, every sales person are rely on commission on their living!

If you resign from the company - no holding back from the company, basically they will just accept and did not try to retain the employee. - just keep hiring new staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementTripAdvisor HQ needs to review the senior management in APAC Business Listing, and also have a one to one meeting with the individual sales person on the floor to ask feedback what's the challenge and how to overcome it and how to make it better.

simply great!!!

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe best professional experience of my life ... A good company where is possible to grow, learn, teach and exchange ideas

ConsToo bad the US senior managers seem to don't understand that business cannot be handled everywhere as in the US ...

Advice to Senior ManagementFor US senior managers: please, please, please for the future keep in mind cultural differences, language barriers and economic situation in each country before setting targets to be reached

a really unpleasant place to work

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Prosbright people, good benefits and perks, free lunches, games, fairly relaxed atmosphere

Consterrible middle and upper management - elitist, rule by fear
poor communication
blame is the name of the game
unprofessional HR - nothing is confidential
morale is very low and declining still
favouritism is obvious and shameless
too much middle management
the reality of TripAdvisor as described in the interview process is not what you get once you're in
If you are an engineer at TripAdvisor you're gold, if not, be prepared to update your resume/CV soon
Quickly becoming a corporate culture with all the negative implications that implies

Advice to Senior ManagementLess arrogance is needed, stop rewarding or ignoring bad behaviour. Take time to understand who is in your management team and ask if they are really adding any value - or actually doing anything at all, for that matter. Speed Wins is not a healthy motto for ALL departments. People are leaving in droves for a reason - perhaps you should look into why?

great people, nice perks, extraordinarily poor management and unbelievably boring tasks

Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at TripAdvisor as an intern for less than a year

Pros- There are really smart and nice people at TripAdvisor (not ALL of them, obviously). But it's nice to be able to work with, and discuss ideas with your interesting co-workers, which has made my internship a bit more tolerable!

- Cool perks, including free lunches, snacks, fruit and drink, extravagant company outings, free shuttles to Cambridge, etc

- Hackathon for interns, where you get to work on your own idea for a week.

- Get to experience first hand what "All that glitters is not gold" really means! (It does seem cool to have a line on your CV saying that you have worked on the world's largest travel site, but if you believe there is more to an internship than fat paychecks and a big name, you might be very disappointed.)

- Get an extra $5 on your wage, when you get the return-offer for the next term (but seriously, think twice about more about the `cons` before accepting it!)

Cons- HR and/or management is really poor (They left me waiting in the lobby on my first day for 3 hours because no-one, except myself, knew it was my first day. They then gave me one extra hour waiting at my workstation, which had no chair or machines, because these would come in the next hour. My demographic and personal information got messed up on tax and official documents by HR)

- The tasks are boring, dreary and poorly defined. There is nothing challenging or really interesting about the work. If you think the interview questions were a sample of the real work, you are wrong! This is by far the most boring, and intellectually useless internship I have ever done.

- The full-stack development style is pretty annoying, and it apparently makes the code base a mess! If you think this style would help you learn a bit of everything, which is exactly what I told myself into taking the offer, be assured that you would be better off picking up the tutorial from the web and teach yourself whatever it is that you want to learn, because all you would learn is mostly likely all the hacky and unmaintainable code, which you wouldn't even know was bad unless you have seen better code! This is also not a place for you if you are, like myself, not interested in spending hours tweaking some convoluted CSS/Javascript files to get things to render the way the managers want, as they keep changing their mind!

- What is worse is that managers always seem busy doing *something else* rather than providing feedback or expectations on your projects.They at times do not even seem to know what they are looking for in a project! It often seems to me that my manager does not care if the projects are finished on time, or finished at all for that matter! (Imagine you wrote piece of code, posted it up for review, and waited up to a month without receiving any feedback!) It even feels like these tasks were merely made up just to keep me entertained!

- Most engineering practices (which I cannot get into details without talking about the internal infrastructures, but think about automated-builds, version-control and other related areas) are poor, which really puzzled me because they had very smart people responsible for that.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you do not have any tasks for interns, please do not give us the offers in the first place. Making up some boring tasks to keep us occupied is really really "unethical"

Fast paced, self-driven, flexible and fun

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Newton, MA (US)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

Prosflexible work schedule, interesting and broad engineering work will keep you interested for a long time. all sorts of perks and free snacks. people are nice and laid back (at least the people I have seen and worked with).

ConsMoves really fast, considerable amount of pressure(good or bad). It is in Newton and the new building will be even further away from the city.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes the upper management is a little bit aggressive, they should know difference between the people who try their best to meet their expectations and the people who are pretending.

Worked for TripAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!

TripAdvisor Videos

TripAdvisor – Why Work for Us?

Exceptional career opportunities. Genuinely cool coworkers. Millions of people who love our sites. Find it all here at the world's largest travel site. TripAdvisor® is the world's largest travel site*, enabling… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TripAdvisor reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for TripAdvisor CEO Stephen Kaufer. All 163 reviews are posted anonymously by TripAdvisor employees.