TripAdvisor

TripAdvisor Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer

Stephen Kaufer

Pros:
  • "benefits are good, free lunch, outting, etc"
    in 25 reviews
  • "Work/life balance is encouraged, but employees have a high level of passion about their work, and it never feels like anyone is just there from 9-5"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Poor performers are consistently promoted due to "friendships" they have with senior management"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Sure, the company went through some growing pains, which is understandable"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Ruthless Corporate America

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time for less than a year

ProsCompensation is good and the stock is on a tear. Good place to work if money is the motivation.

ConsWork is not really interesting. You will work on a lot of one week tweak projects. Competitive culture. But also a culture of fear codified by a speed wins mantra. Management is cold and ruthless. Classic corporate America. The company will do well because of its ruthless attitude.

Advice to Senior ManagementCouple of token social projects will not really hide the kind of company you really are.

TripAdvisor Dir of HR responded to this review

Mar 24, 2014

Thanks for your feedback and we're sorry that your time at TripAdvisor wasn't what you hoped it would be. We've noted your feedback on our projects and culture. Whether small or big, we believe that ... More

Super corporate atmosphere run at the top by power hungry close minded individuals

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than 5 years

Prosthe common people at the company

Consupper management is pretty awful and only getting worse since they have globalized

Advice to Senior Managementencourage ideas and remember what got you there

TripAdvisor Dir of HR responded to this review

Mar 19, 2014

Thank you for your feedback--we're sorry that your experience at TripAdvisor isn't currently what you want it to be. Your feedback is very useful as we continue to focus on growing our culture and ... More

Quickly evolving company

Marketing Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of smart people and perks

ConsSalaries for non-engineers are no longer competitive

Good company to work for, but...

ProsGood benefits
Career progression
Relaxed atmosphere in the office

ConsFast becoming detached from clients' reality
Too centralised from Newton
Lack of internal communication

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time listening to your sales agent, they know their clients.

Jan 23, 2014

Thanks! We’re pleased that you’re a fan of our benefits, career pathways (especially since we’ve been working on better defining these), and casual office atmosphere.
Your feedback on communication ... More

not good enough

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

Prosit provides convenience for employees because it offers lunch 3 days a week. And other company wide benefits are good.

Consthe team started to get messy since a management restructure last July. A guy came in and became VP of this global team. He's quite biased and unprofessional. He brought a group of his people to combine to this global team. and he only valued those who he worked with for a long time. He didn't and never respected others' ideas and efforts and hard work. I am so so glad that I made the decision to leave there because I felt that I wouldn't have any career advancement if I stayed for 1 more day/month/year. Besides, people on this team kept leaving, mostly in newton location. people on London and Singapore side both complain communication issues a lot.

Advice to Senior Managementgo to some online/ffline management classes to learn to be more professional.

Jan 23, 2014

Thanks for your feedback. As we continue to grow, we know that sometimes transitions like this can be challenging for existing team members. And, we welcome feedback to help us better manage similar ... More

if you work in a team with good managers then it's great company; if not...

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

Prosgood benefits, provided lunches, sponsored great parties, lots of employee support.

Consit's absolutely true that who manage your team 99% decides your life at this company. If you are lucky to be in a team with good, experienced managers who know how to reward and respect employees' work, then you are happy; If you are unfortunately fall in a team that the managers are unprofessional, then you are miserable. It was so funny that my team went through a series of org change and the managers are new to the team. Since they took over, people kept leaving. What they did accordingly was to hide as much as possible the news of people leaving, instead of clearly and openly talking to current employees. And once i told that i wanted to quit, the vice president of the team stopped talking to me, pretending that i was not in existence any more. This is not mature and unprofessional and selfish and silly.

Dec 05, 2013

Thanks for your review. We agree that your manager hugely impacts how you feel about your job and the company overall. Given this, as we noted in an earlier response, we've worked on improving our ... More

Fun enough

Telesales (Current Employee)
Oxford, England (UK)

Prosgood pay
good incentives
good staff parties

Consthe job's enjoyability decreases as the telesales team grows in size
all the cons of any sales job
being away from the HQ in London

Advice to Senior Management-

Busy

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

ProsBenefits, compensation, oh and the company is a rocket ship.

ConsThe company grew faster than its infrastructure so all its supporting systems are unable to scale for the growth it has had/is planning. Management needs to recognize that speed wins can only get you so far and you need to fix the foundation.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in more people from the outside that have done this in bigger companies.

Intern

Summer Intern (Former Employee)
Newton, MA (US)

I worked at TripAdvisor as an intern for less than a year

Pros- Free snacks
- Helpful and friendly people
- Huge data
- Learn a lot of tools

Cons- Not many work to do.
- Lack of motivation.

Financially rewarding, but not a lot of fun.

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time

ProsThe company continues to grow and has products that put it ahead of the curve in the travel space. It continues to innovate and diversify it's products and has placed itself in a position to continue to do well.

Compensation and benefits/perks can be very good.

ConsIt can be a very political environment, you need to have relationships with the right people to succeed in the long term. Often management is not concerned with how things are done, just that they get done. This trickles down the chain and employees are often viewed as resources to achieve a goal regardless of the impact to them. In many groups you either sink or swim and if you sink you can get thrown under the bus and can become the scape goat for a unsuccessful project or initiative.

I also agree with a previous reviewer that noted that TripAdvisor is keenly aware of glassdoor reviews and strongly encourages current successful employees (those that just got promoted, had a good experience, etc) to write positive reviews on working at Trip. While there may be nothing technically wrong with this, the approach seems odd for a company based on unbiased reviews.

Dec 05, 2013

Thanks for your feedback. We're thrilled that you found TripAdvisor financially rewarding. We're also pleased that you think we build cool products that are ahead of the curve--we think so too! We're ... More

Worked for TripAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!

TripAdvisor Videos

TripAdvisor – Why Work for Us?

Exceptional career opportunities. Genuinely cool coworkers. Millions of people who love our sites. Find it all here at the world's largest travel site. Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TripAdvisor reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for TripAdvisor CEO Stephen Kaufer. All 163 reviews are posted anonymously by TripAdvisor employees.