Triage Consulting Group

Updated 26 January, 2015
3.6

Triage Consulting Group CEO Brian Neece
Brian Neece

Pros
  • Triage provides its employees with an excellent work-life balance (in 30 reviews)

• Tons of fun stuff--happy hours, teambuilding, paid volunteer time, team events (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • and you write and mail off close to a thousand letters to insurance companies (in 11 reviews)

• Lack of diversity and recruiting to fit a mold (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

59 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great opportunity for college grads

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Accelerated career track: Most of your first year at Triage is spent learning (how to use our Access database, billing guidelines, industry information, client perspective). For me, that didn't mean just making phone calls all day, but everyone has a different experience based on your project mix. From 12-21 months you are given more client-facing responsibilities and get to train/manage newer employees. From 21 months on (if you have gotten solid evaluations) you are leading your own team. I don't think I could have gotten to a project manager role this quickly at many other jobs out of school. And I rarely call insurance companies anymore...

The people: I've made great friends that I'll keep for life. I've made great connections with people that moved on to other companies (built-in networking). There are very few people that I've not enjoyed working with.

No 'politics': Until Manager promotions, which are 5 years in and only affect a handful of people, you don't need to pull any House of Cards moves to succeed. If you are good to work with and produce a good work product, you will be promoted - simple as that.

Cons

Diversity?: This is a common subject in reviews lately so I should touch on it. I'm not a minority, but I'm not from an upper middle class, greek, sports background. Trust me when I say you can find your people no matter what your background is. I think we aim to hire younger, ambitious, friendly, and capable people, and that's part of why our culture is so great. Not sure this is the diversity crisis it's painted to be; I would chalk it up to the immaturity of some recent college grads. A lot of our events end with/focus on drinking beer, but I don't see that as very different from my friends' companies...

Burnout: If you aren't willing to put in the time on the front end to learn the work, you probably won't stay long enough to be Senior and reap the benefits (proj management experience, great pay for the hours worked). For most people this is their first job out of college so I would think this is a standard concept...

Merit: If you are a high performer, you are rewarded with more work (which can be great experience/exposure) but no extra pay and few perks. This works for the ambitious go-getters but I know it rubs some people the wrong way. There is a lingering feeling of being replaceable at any time (and it's mostly true, a result of the hiring model) which also makes some high performers uncomfortable.

Some employees will always complain/push for more from you, which is probably necessary for an organization to move forward. However, when something can't happen, we at least appreciate when you justify why and show some transparency. Often there is a business reason that isn't obvious to us and whenever you communicate your organizational perspective in a clear way, you earn trust with your employees. This happens sometimes, but the more the better.

Also, Yammer is pretty weird.

Fun people, great start, mediocre work

Current Employee - Experienced Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Experienced Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Everyone will say the people, and it's true. You get to work with people your age (recent college graduates) and you make a lot of friends in the process. Compared to other friends I have a great work/life balance (for the most part just working 9 hour days). We also have a great vacation policy, can't beat starting with 4 weeks/year. It appears to be a great first job out of college, you will get a ton of professional experience. Most of the people leaving the company seem to have good career/graduate school options following.

Cons

The salary could be higher, it is not very competitive. Most of my peers started out making around $70K, Triage starts you out around $60K now (with bay area rent you definitely feel the pressure at times, forget about saving money!!). You also are not compensated for travel time which is very frustrating. The work itself is pretty mundane and repetitive (it's pretty unavoidable), but the people you work with make up for it. There is also a huge amount of focus on hours worked, despite being paid salary, it can seem a little rigid.

Bump up the salary to compete with other bay area employers in addition to salaries earned by similar graduates of top universities. Pay employees for travel time.

Solid place to work

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group

Pros

Good corporate culture, good pay.

Cons

Pretty boring, very tedious work.

Spice up the work a little!

Meh

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great people. great resume builder right out of college. opportunities for advancement come quickly in first 2 years. manage your own team relatively quickly. if you can get a mentor to vouch for you, there are cool opportunities to pursue what you are interested in.

Cons

where to begin?
    - not reimbursed for travel time. flight to the client site at 6am gets there around 830am. You are then still expected to work a full 9 hour day as if it were your idea to take that flight.
    - not treated like an adult. you are salary but someone will review whether or not your rear has been in the chair for 9 hours every day (seriously, this comes up in your annual review). work faster than your coworkers? have superb reviews and high ratings on work ethic? doesn't really matter, still got to sit there for 9 hours.
    - not merit based. you can be the best employee of your year and you won't get promoted any faster. they don't care to retain top talent... if people stay 2.5-3 years, they are happy.

Give your top performers a reason to stay. Guiding principles (internal, peer voted awards) are not enough - as someone who has won one, it's a popularity contest and all based on reputation. Make these awards mean something and don't give one to 10% of the company every single year.

Interesting work, great training, and opportunities for professional development

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group

Pros

Engaging team members and clients

Cons

Account work can feel repetitive

Allow associates more opportunities to challenge themselves with client face time and trend analysis

Boring and monotonous, lack of cultural diversity.

Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Work-life balance: 4 weeks of PTO and 8 hours of VTO
    -Kind coworkers who are willing to help
    -Feedback on career development

Cons

-Culture: Triage prides itself on its people, but I think what the majority of the company doesn't realize is how limiting its office culture is for minorities. The good Glassdoor reviews are probably from those who fit in with the culture--probably white, were in Greek life, upper-middle class, extroverted, privileged, live in the Marina, rarely interacted with those outside these social circles, etc. There is very little racial/cultural/class diversity among employees and it shows in conversations. When you overhear someone explaining to a 25-year old white co-worker why dressing up as a Native American for Halloween is offensive (and that's the first time they've ever heard that perspective), it's honestly facepalm worthy and obvious how homogenous the company is. As a couple more examples, Triage had a Family Feud social event, and the number one thing voted for "what is Triage known for?" was "frats", and I often overhear 25 year olds talking about their sorority days. If you fit in, you will have fun at Triage since people like to go to happy hours, sporting events, and tend to have extremely similar interests. If you don't, or prefer more intellectual and diverse environments, you're probably going to have a very isolating time here. While Triage has acknowledged this lack of diversity as an issue and have expanded efforts to non-California universities, I don't see it changing since most of the people involved in recruiting fit this culture/don't understand the issue, and will continue to recruit the same type of person.
    -Day-to-day work: There is very little consulting to be done. You mainly are on the phone calling insurance reps, researching account notes and doing things in MS Access. You rarely interact with the client on most projects (almost never as a newer hire), and there aren't a lot of opportunities to learn advanced Excel skills until you are a Senior. It can be incredibly boring, especially for someone who wants a more strategic or innovative role.
    -Reactive company: The company's "knowledge" base is housed in hundreds of word documents across multiple folders on the server. Day to day work is done on a 2002 version of MS Access. There have been space concerns for a while, where so much time is spent for teams to find seats to work in since the company has grown quite a bit.
    -Other things: There is little motivation to work hard, especially since everyone is paid the same salary. Evaluations can be biased based on personal connections and friendships. During travel, if you want to separate work life from personal time, it can be pretty hard since you're socially obligated to spend time with your team--even if you really don't connect with them.

-Please acknowledge the lack of diversity at this company as a genuine issue. When people talk how everyone as Triage is a family, this is probably true IF you fit the upper-middle class white, probably involved in Greek life, etc. When I bring an outside friend to a Triage happy hour, and they are shocked at how demographically homogenous the people are, there is a genuine issue here. Also, when people are recruited because they "fit" the culture, this seems like another way to just perpetuate the lack of diversity.
    -More transparency about what Associates will be doing during the first 2 years of work during recruiting

Great People, Work-Life Balance

Former Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Triage Consulting Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Triage has young, ambitious colleagues and a tremendous culture. The work-life balance is phenomenal for consulting and the company really cares about the well-being of its people.

Cons

The work is extremely narrow and can be boring. The pay is only adequate and it's not a true consulting firm - more of an audit/staff-augmentation company.

Keep up the good work, and try to reward your superstars.

Great company with fun young professionals.

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great experience and transition for right out of college. Traveling with your team is a lot of fun. Pay is competitive with other consulting companies. Majority of employees are young adults, very social. Very interesting work - not many companies out there do healthcare consulting. Great transparency from senior management. Company is growing very fast.

Cons

45 hours a week salary and no overtime, have to earn your PTO (tough in the beginning for those who start late fall and want to take multiple days off for holidays, but after a few months super easy). Steep learning curve (but there is a lot of training)

22 year-olds love it, fun company, "fit" is absolutely essential (for better or worse)

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People are very friendly, supportive, and fun. Lot of extroverts and people who can make a good time out of a crappy one (read: Cons). Great leadership, values, and training.

Cons

The work itself can be tedious, monotonous, and sometimes, frustrating. You will find yourself thinking "I went to a [probably highly regarded] 4-year university for this?". Some people handle it better than others. Being a good fit in terms of attitude/background is important. Outgoing/highly social individuals will thrive; introverts may benefit less from this environment, though may find it fun nonetheless.

Triage Consulting Group Photos