TransUnion

Updated 27 January, 2015
Updated 27 January, 2015
3.3

Jim Peck

Pros
  • Excellent work/life balance with the ability to work off-site as needed (in 19 reviews)

• Allowed to work from home twice a week depending on your department (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance exists, but is not the strongest the Chicago area (in 8 reviews)

• Processes - The amount of red-tape and lack of practical training on how to navigate the "system" is awe-inspiring (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Great learning environment

I have been working at TransUnion

Pros

One can get to learn many aspects of how the services of this company are provided, new technologies and products and participate directly in their roll outs. Very friendly work environment. There is room for individual growth and expansion.

Cons

Not well organized when it comes to documentation and communication. It can become stressful at times and impact work/life balance due to not always enough man power to cover all requirements of its products and their support.

More people need to be hired in products and technologies support areas.

okay

I worked at TransUnion

Pros

Good place to learn, friendly environment

Cons

everything is unorganized, undervalue technical people

Friendly and Professional Workplace

Current Employee - Software Developer Intern in Burlington, ON
    Current Employee - Software Developer Intern in Burlington, ON

I have been working at TransUnion as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Company has many social activities for engagement from quarterly business Town Hall meetings to monthly summer BBQ's. Leadership is approachable and can tap anybody to share knowledge. Employees have telecommuting opportunity. Flexible working hours.

Cons

The hot chocolate in the Star Bucks machine is often out. On the serious side, it is difficult to plan team meetings due to how busy most individuals are with their own departments..

Excellent opportunity for internship and experience a growing company that has their employees welfare at mind. Many employees have been here many years due to benefits and workplace atmosphere.

Good place to work, but the place needs to innovate a little bit.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamilton, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamilton, ON

I have been working at TransUnion

Pros

Good solid company with friendly environment to work

Cons

People have been working for the company for 12 years in average so don't expect to have room for innovations.

Focus on technology and less on "pointless" policies

Great place to work!

I have been working at TransUnion

Pros

TransUnion is a wonderful place to work. They really care about their people, strive to always be better and have a relaxed working environment you typically don't find in this 'type' of business.

Cons

I think this company is only getting better, each and every day.

Almost there.

Current Employee - Specialist in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Specialist in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love working for TransUnion. I'm really early into my career and have taken advantage of many opportunities TU has presented. Love to new brand. For the most part, I enjoy my coworkers.

Cons

For a tech company, we're not very tech savy. Small example, I was told that I need to restart my computer every time I'm having issues with the sound. Every. Single. Time. Nothing like rebooting during a presentation.

Fully commit to the trch company personality.

Intern Review

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly

I worked at TransUnion (less than a year)

Pros

good pay
    good location
    lots of free food

Cons

often dull
    you work with mostly older people

recruit younger people

Better than average culture in a growing, innovative organization

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance is fantastic! I went from a company where the expectation was a minimum of 50 hours a week to a company that values the life I have outside of work. I come to work most days excited about what is happening and the impact I can make. Transunion is investing in technologies and people that make this a very exciting time to be a part of this organization. Additionally, the benefits package is wonderful, I appreciate the $0.00 deductible and the low out of pocket costs for myself and my family.

Cons

Some of the processes/policies are a bit outdated, it can take some work to get things done if you are new and don't know the proper person to reach out to. Additionally, as a global organization, there are locations that simply don't have the technical infrastructure necessary to be efficient, and that can be a bit frustrating at times.

Keep investing in your people, keep sharing news that keeps us excited about growth and changes.

A lot of great things are happening at Transunion Healthcare

Current Employee - Development in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Development in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at TransUnion

Pros

The Austin division of Transunion Healthcare is a great place to work at. There is a mix of old timers and new blood. Together, you get to develop solutions to old and new problems. The technology stack is .Net and SQL, but the problems you get to solve and the projects you get to work on are interesting and cutting-edge. There is a lot more flexibility than what I had heard of. Very collaborative work environment, lots of growth. Good benefits too.

Cons

Not a great place for people who don't enjoy attention to detail, and don't have a natural inclination to work with lots and lots of data. I don't see anyone wearing shorts to work even in summer. Glad to see jeans all the time though. :)

Be mindful and don't take a step in the wrong direction. We have a good going right now.

A lot of creativity and innovation

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for Transunion for almost 4 years and in the last year I have seen a lot of positive changes, one of which is our remodeling of the corporate office to make it more conducive to collaboration. We have experienced a lot of growth and are exploring a lot of new ideas and practices. We are investing in our employees by offering them many opportunities to grow and develop their skills. A great time to be a TransUnion associate!

Cons

No workplace is perfect and in our current period of change we have been challenged to keep the "boat afloat" by completing day to day tasks and work on new and innovative projects. Sometimes this has been a challenge at times due to being short staffed in our department, but I feel that management is interested in our concerns and in our ideas for making Transunion a great place to work and recognizes and supports our efforts and is trying to get us caught up to where we should be in our industry; as the leading provider of credit information and tools..