Trader Joe's

www.traderjoes.com
Profile Unclaimed

Great place, great people

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

The people are so great to work with, usually the night shift is the best. Part Timers have it so well and really the company gives a lot of flexibility.

Cons

hours are kinda set, for early, some mid day or night shifts for part time, and you usually have to work a weekend

Keep it up

Trader José

Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

I get to work with food and people all day. It's low stress and a team encironment. Good benefits and good coworkers!

Cons

Working late hours could be a con for some people

Fun place to work - but be prepared to lose work/life balance once promoted

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Trader Joe's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You meet a lot of interesting people. Trader Joe's has a great reputation both as a store and a employer. There is a sense of comradeship when working with crews who take pride of their work. You really can build long-term friendship here. Also, benefit isn't what it used to be but it's still great!

Cons

No work/life balance once you became a mate. Be prepared for with lots of drama and politics - it's inevitable in a close-knitted work place. You can avoid it when you are a crew member, but you'll have to play the game once you're a mate, just to survive.

we pay everything by cash and has no debt, and yet our benefit is decreasing and almost every store is short-staffed? This doesn't sound like the definition of integrity this company trains us for!

Crew Member

Current Employee - Crew Member in Falls Church, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Falls Church, VA (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Trader Joe's has a great environment! 90% of crew members, mates, and captains are very upbeat and put in lots of effort to keep stores running smoothly. There's lots of flexibility for hours and it's not a dead-end job. If you work hard you can get raises and if you choose to, becoming a mate isn't incredibly difficult. Most people just work here for the time being and move one though.

There's a TJ culture that some would call cult-like. I think it's nice that there's a community at my job. It's welcoming and at times over-bearing, but still nice to experience.

Cons

It's a very labor-intensive job. I use an app on my phone to track the distance I walk in a day. It ranges anywhere from 4-8 miles in a 8 hour shift. This includes standing at the registers and taking my lunch breaks. There's also lots of lifting involved and constant bending up and down. Everyone has to be very conscious of how they are working because injuries happen and they happen often. I come home with a sore back, shoulders, arm, legs, and feet. Some days it's worse than others.

I honestly feel bad for mates and captains who work 10 hour shifts since they only get a 30 minutes break just like everyone else. I feel like my lunches zoom by and I can't imagine how fast they go by for them. During the holidays I can barely catch my breath. I think most people would agree that even a 5 minute increase in a break would be great!

Great company

Current Employee - Crew Member in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Convenient, highly transparent management, great level of team work

Cons

customers are exhausting, the break room is tiny, there is very little personal space

keep on keeping on

Crew Member (Everyone is Part-Time), unless a Mate or Captain

Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Algonquin, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Algonquin, IL (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working for Trader Joe's is not rocket science. If you like helping people, cooking (or eating good food), and working hard...Trader Joe's is an awesome place to work! Benefits are pretty awesome too.

Cons

Depending on the store, some coworkers can be a little sensitive about what they're asked to do. And the "work life balance" can be a little difficult for people needing specific time's for work. As Trader Joe's schedules according to the "needs of the customer." So if you have open availability you most likely with fit right in.

Spend more time training the people that want (and have the potential) to get promoted.

A great company to work for if you are in college

Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Trader Joe's stores have a very friendly atmosphere where even though you are doing physically demanding job but you are still having a good time. The schedule is pretty flexible if you are work for the bigger stores. Health insurance and pension plan come after 4 months or so if you keep working 5 days a week. It's very easy to get transfer from store to store across the country if you are doing a good job.

Cons

It's a very physically demanding job. Crew members are required to lift up heavy boxes up to 40 pounds and break grocery pellets. It's not easy for older employees. The promotion from crew member to mate, from mate to captain is very difficult.

After further review my experience the Trader Joe's was worth it.

Current Employee - Crew Member
    Current Employee - Crew Member

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best reasons for working with Trader Joe's as a part timer were the 10% discount, health benefits, PTO/vacation, flexible hours, casual environment, ability to transfer, 401K and other employee benefits.

Cons

Although still stronger than a lot of companies, the corporate culture and employee benefits are not nearly as strong and competitive as they once were. Depending on the captain/full timers and the overall store, the crew member climate has a tendency to differ significantly. Although benefits change and evolve, the captain has the ability to manipulate matters and provide direction tempering negative outcomes and lasting damage.

Revisit compensation and corporate climate of Trader Joe's from 2007-2008.

Sweet intro job.

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Awesome coworkers and theres a lot of food.

Cons

Maybe just some bad customers every now and then.

Was a great company at one time.

Current Employee - Crew Member in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pay rate is competitive (but not enough to live off of or support a family.) Benefits are decent if you work long enough. Fellow crew members are usually interesting people, and most stores are made up of friends.

Cons

Pay rate is barely enough to live on but to much to quit, locks you in. A lot is expected of you and it is very customer-first, the company will not take your side. The upper management and human resources department are nightmares to deal with.

Nothing to be done now that TJs has gone national. My advice is only work part time and focus on another career.