Trader Joe's

Updated 26 January, 2015
3.5

Trader Joe's Chairman and CEO Dan Bane
Dan Bane

Pros
  • Great benefits and a great place to work for people who don't mind working hard (in 56 reviews)

• The benefits are great considering it's non-union part time work (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers sit in the office all day while crew members run the store (in 65 reviews)

• It can be physically demanding so entry jobs are best for the young and fit (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

This is a grocery store, don't expect to hang out and drink coffee all day.

Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Most crew members are nice to work with; mates at my store are friendly and supportive, great captain who is humble enough to work on the floor and to stand in line when shopping for himself, eat with the crew and talk to everyone.

I like that in case of disagreements, the mates or the captain are able to keep an unbiased viewpoint, or so it seems.

I find that the "attendance policy" with warnings etc. is very fair. Serves well, if one has an emergency or a major problem where they can't exactly bring "doctors notes" etc. And the the records of the offences are being erased after 90 days.

Generally speaking, I really like going to work and am looking forward to it (and I am generally a very picky person as far as employers go).

We don't get too many obnoxious or self-entitled customers. Occasionally you'll get them, but that's not a norm.

10% off groceries and booze is nice! So is a 401k plan. (Not sure if I will get a health plan because I am not planning to reach 30 hrs/ week work load.)

Generally speaking, this is a great place to work and I believe that if one has the right personality and will, it's also a great place to be promoted to a mate level. Other than that, yeah, this is a grocery store, the work is physical and it's not paid like if you were a Wall Street banker or a marketing manager. However, I think one can learn different aspects of running a grocery store here for a better than average in industry wage and I think that if someone is looking for a less physical job for more pay, they should just meanwhile look for something more fitting. Many better paying jobs actually require or consider retail experience very important and Trader Joe's is one of the better companies to acquire that experience. My two cents...

Cons

I am nitpicking here, really.

Basically what they want (at least in my store) is part-time workers with full-time workers' commitment in all aspects - time commitment, emotional commitment, dedication and loyalty. That can feel pretty "soul-sucking" or like a "cult", as others have described and is pretty much the reason why I'm rating TJ's with 4 stars. The antidote to this issue is to come in and do the best you can, but have the guard up enough to not be sucked out of your shell at the end of the day.

They emphasize how they value "having life outside work", but it can be problematic to get a particular evening off if you are typically scheduled for closing shifts - even if you have an almost open availability to work at different times of day as well.

Apparently morning shifts are almost exclusively reserved for "seasoned crew members" (people who have worked for TJ's 5+ years) and so are, apparently, for a big part, day shifts.

From what I hear, injuries are common. Do yourself a favor, get decent shoes. You will get run over by crew members with two-wheelers, by customers with shopping carts etc. Also, you should stretch and learn about safe lifting techniques. There is no official training on safety so your best bet is to talk to the "seasoned crew members" who will 99% of the time be open to educate you on one-on-one basis about safety and injury prevention. Although, in the 10-day training everyone will generally talk about safety and if you ask, they will show you how to lift etc. Also - get decent gloves because you will work in frozen section from time to time.

Prepare to over-use a hand sanitizer or come down sick often. Why? Because you will handle cash and many of the "seasoned crew members" have warned that that's where catching a flu comes from. Also - wearing plastic gloves is not permitted at the check-out. (Some customers complained about feeling offended to deal with cashiers who wear gloves a few years ago so they prohibited wearing gloves at the checkout. Not strictly enforced though, from what I see and hear.)

I don't like their confrontation tactics which because I find them intimidating: they will approach you out of blue, lead you outside and confront you and there will always be a "witness" mate with the main person who confronts. I understand why the system makes sense, but just be aware of it as it can get very uncomfortable.

I think, my store is fairly run and the leadership is great. I don't think that Dan Bane's mind regarding the anticipated "Wal-Martization" of Trader Joe's, can be changed via Glassdoor advice. The advice is "Don't", but I doubt he is willing and/ or able to hear that.

Crew Member

I worked at Trader Joe's

Pros

Company Values, Benefits, Great Environment, 6 month review (possible raise)

Cons

Work Weekends, Favoritism, Stores run according to Captain, Career Opportunities (advancement) take long time.

Good

Former Employee - Producer in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Producer in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Trader Joe's

Pros

Pay, employees, and customers were great

Cons

A little boring after a while

Good

Former Employee - Part Time Crew Member (Holiday) in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Part Time Crew Member (Holiday) in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Trader Joe's

Pros

Great place to work! Definitely keeps you busy and being able to taste all of the food is a plus, too!! Customers are great!

Cons

Not enough time off. You have to ask for it WAY in advance to even be considered. Also, the crew will likely talk bad about you. There is a lot of gossip that goes on there that customers fail to see.

Good place to work; Everyone on equal playing field but you report to like 10 different managers

Former Employee - Team Member in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Team Member in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Trader Joe's full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working here offered decent pay for an entry-level grocery job. Each team member rotated through all of the 'departments'. For example, everyday you experienced the dairy section, the produce section, stocking, backstock, shipping/receiving, cleaning, flowers or bread, retrieving carts and cashiering. This was great for me because I love variety in my job. People hung out and partied together outside of worked. Like someone else said, this is a great fall-back job with potential to move up to manager-level.

Cons

There were about 10 different managers who are full-time, 50 hour+ a week employees, so you take orders from 10 different people. The good thing was all the managers were really laid-back and cool. However, you don't ever communicate by email with them and hardly learn their last names. I, being a newby never, thought to ask so found it a little difficult to contact references once I left.

Keep the environment laid-back. Hire on-call staff to fill-in for the people that are always taking time off.

A Great Place To Work

Current Employee - F/T Crew Member in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - F/T Crew Member in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Above average wages/salary. Fantastic retirement plan. Great Benefits. Employee discount on all products.

Cons

Inconsistent hours for most members of management. Sometimes difficult to get time off.

Praise often, be direct, consistent and hold everyone accountable.

Crew member for 8 years

Current Employee - Crew Member in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Crew Member in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good work environment with engaging co-workers

Cons

Benefits have been slowly chipped away at the last few years

Bring the number of hours required for health benefits down to 24/week

TJ's of Naperville

Former Employee - Crew Member in Naperville, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Naperville, IL (US)

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great team culture. Management listens to and cares about your opinion. Company surveys sent out to employees every year and they really do take action and make changes if many voice concerns about something. Great opportunity for promotions and raises if you perform well. You rotate between task every hour so you don't have to just cashier or stock all day like some grocery stores make their employees do. TJ's is closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Day and has shortened hours the other major holidays.

Cons

My cons are more about the grocery industry in general, not Trader Joe's. I personally just did not like working nights and weekends. Also holidays are very busy which can physically exhausting, but it makes the day go by fast and managers treat you really well.

When coming back to work for you guys during college breaks I would be considered a new hire in the system so I didn't get the benefit of adding to my AR or getting a performance review, but I can't complain because I was glad to be taken back for my breaks and given so many hours.

good to work with people that believe in eating healthy !

I worked at Trader Joe's

Pros

like working with friends and family !

Cons

you have to work closer to fill-time now to get health benefits.