Trader Joe's

Trader Joe's Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Trader Joe's Chairman and CEO Dan Bane

Dan Bane

Pros:
  • "Better than average (although used to be fantastic pay and benefits)"
    in 23 reviews
  • "Wonderful people to work along side, great benefits, great atmosphere"
    in 42 reviews
Cons:
  • "Unprofessional mates share personal info about other crew members when they should not"
    in 45 reviews
  • "physically demanding to the point of serious repetitive motion injuries with no compensation"
    in 32 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great job for college students

Tucson, AZ (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time for more than 3 years

ProsPositive co-workers and positive management within the stores. They work great around your schedule, for example I am a student and have had no problems. I have had all "working managers" who get in there and do the job with you, which makes it more enjoyable and gives a better mindset. The employees and management are all very friendly, and the customers actually usually are as well!

ConsI don't have much bad to say about Trader Joe's. If you are looking to advance it can be difficult though, as you must wait for a position to open up.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Wonderful, supportive work environment

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time for more than a year

ProsTJ's provides a warm supportive atmosphere in which to work. The work can be demanding and the pace is fast, but we truly love our customers and have fun at work.

ConsIt can be tough physically. Even after working there for almost 2 years, I still need some time to rest and recover after a shift. Management can vary widely from store to store. Make sure you establish a good connection with your Captain.

Great working experience if you like people and are a foodie.

Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time for more than a year

ProsThe Trader Joes' customer is a quality group of people and as is there product. They appreciate good service and quality products at a good price so essentially if you like cooking and people as well as working hard, this job can be very rewarding.

ConsYou have to work evening and weekends.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote good managers from within who are an example of the Trader Joes culture and set that example with their employees as well as customers. Hiring managers from outside who are not "foodies" and "people friendly" is just a poison pill. Give exceptional crew members a chance free because the job is not hard to learn.

My experience at Trader Joe's has been wonderful, and I am grateful to be working for a company that values its crew.

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time for more than a year

ProsThe work environment is really positive, and I look forward to each shift. The management is overall very supportive. All crew members are encouraged to bring their personality and sense of humor to work, which pretty much guarantees a good time. They are very flexible with my schedule, which helps a lot because I have two other part-time positions and am enrolled in classes.

ConsOccasionally you encounter fellow employees who are not all that dedicated to their jobs. In these instances, the team as a whole is negatively affected.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy only recommendation would be for a more structured training system, especially when it comes to writing an order.

The culture that made Trader Joe's a billion dollar company is quickly fading away

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time for more than a year

Pros-Friendly coworkers. They become one of the only reasons to enjoy this job.
-Good food and many food tastings.
-10% discount. Can't go wrong with that.
-With enough notice, you can take off basically as much as you want
-Ability to work the hours you want (if your store is big enough).
-Bonus (cash if you're under 30, money into your pension if you're over 30)
-AR starts accumulating after 6 months of work

Cons-Management literally does nothing. Most managers are extremely lazy and pass all work along to the crew members. If they like you, you get an easy day's log. If they don't, they'll put you down for long and tiring tasks. They micromanage to make sure you do the work they are responsible for.
-You are required to work at least one weekend day.
-They purposely schedule you in such a way so that you can't qualify for the health benefits.
-The entire staff is a slave to the antics of the captain. Getting a new captain changes your entire work life.
-Absolutely never become a mate. Most are a slave to the descending work schedule:
Day 1&2 1pm-11pm, Day 3 7am-5pm, Day 4&5 4am-2pm. So if you value your health (no time for sleeping, exercise, etc.) or your friends and family (no time for them, either) do not move up. The money is not worth it.
-While sales go up year after year, benefits and raises keep getting cut. Dan Bane likes to send letters out after these cuts to remind us how much better we have it at Trader Joe's, anyway.
-The work is very physically demanding, no matter how young or in shape you are.
-If they do not like you, they will find a way to fire you. Period. Kiss ass or be fired.
-They withhold raises from people they know won't fight back such as the disabled, immigrants, etc. Anything to save money.
-While managers (who do nothing) get an hour break, the crew members are allowed 30 minutes.
-You start at $10 for the most part, but if you knew how physically demanding the job was, it's really not so great after all.
-Overpriced products. You think you're getting quality but many of the products are just repackaged America's Choice and Green Giant products

Advice to Senior ManagementThe customers have made several comments about how the feel of Trader Joe's has changed over the years. They see you becoming corporate, and they don't like it. Continue to hire and not train off the street people to save money and watch as your customers exit and never return because they no longer see the value of shopping at Trader Joe's vs Shop Rite.

Horrible Work Life Balance

Mate (Assistant Manager) (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at Trader Joe's full-time for less than a year

ProsFun environment, decent benefits, sample great food, great for part-timers

Consno work/life balance, work ridiculous hours for not great pay, tough to get time off

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to the different levels of management in a store. By grouping all mates together, it leads to in-fighting and inconsistencies in managing the crew.

Becoming Corporate

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Prosbenefits, opportunity for raise, good people

Consbecoming too corporate
bad management
not much room for growth

Advice to Senior Managementlead by example

Crew

Haverhill, MA (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time for less than a year

ProsCustomers are great! Some of the crew members are wonderful, others are incompetent and annoying.

ConsSchedule is a bit different than I'm accustomed to. Incompetence is everywhere, even here...

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in thorough training to all crew, new and old...

Was ideal, but...........

Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat co workers, Hard working managers and wonderful customers. Great products and food

ConsChanges in benefits have brought a lot of stress to employees. Many people work here almost solely for the benefits. Although they are closed on holidays, if it is your regular day, you need to scramble to make up those hours or you can lose benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementUsing the ACA as an excuse for benefit changes was inexcusable. You were already doing everything right according to the law. Worry less about expansion (over saturation) and more about improvement and customer retention.

It's a love hate relationship

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe crew members are great, hard-working, unique, and entertaining, they make the job fun. The benefits, and retirement, (although some were taken away recently) are still better than most companies out there. Schedule flexibility.

ConsManagement. The "boys club" favoritism in every store is super annoying and frustrating. Lack of accountability. No positive feedback or reinforcement, so you don;t feel appreciated.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into the survey results and really read the comments and DO SOMETHING to CHANGE it. You have crew members breaking there backs for this company with mangers who are less than capable of running a store without them, so listen to the crew, ask us questions, we want things to get better just as much as you do.

Worked for Trader Joe's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Trader Joe's reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Trader Joe's CEO Dan Bane. All 494 reviews are posted anonymously by Trader Joe's employees.