Trader Joe's

Trader Joe's Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2014

Trader Joe's Chairman and CEO Dan Bane

Dan Bane

Pros:
  • "Better than average (although used to be fantastic pay and benefits)"
    in 24 reviews
  • "Great benefits and a great place to work for people who don't mind working hard"
    in 44 reviews
Cons:
  • "job can not be adjusted to accommodate crew members who get injured"
    in 50 reviews
  • "physically demanding to the point of serious repetitive motion injuries with no compensation"
    in 34 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Pretty good for food retail, but it totally depends on the store team

Crew Member (Former Employee)
Needham, MA (US)

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time for more than a year

ProsI had the benefit of working for a great captain, first mate and full-timer staff when I first started at TJ's. Believe me, the people you work with make all the difference. With a well-run store, it's fun to learn how to stock product, write orders, take care of customers, and in general, flow with TJ's kaizen philosophy.

ConsIf you're not on track to become a full-timer and move up into store leadership, I don't really see this type of job being a long-term solution.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow the part-time crew members who have potential, and be up-front with those who aren't going to be moving anywhere.

One of the better employer's I've experienced

Princeton, NJ (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time for less than a year

ProsI've been impressed - the benefits are good, especially the longer you stay, and there's a lot of flexibility available for scheduling, it's a fun and congenial work environment. It's a humane place to work.

ConsIt's physical and fast paced - this doesn't bother me, but it may be a factor for some. An even temper and a willingness to embrace the job not just the task are important. The hours can infringe on the your ability to maintain other social ties. The store itself fills some of that gap though - it's a fun place to work

Good people, Bad hours

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Trader Joe's

Prosthe people they hire are always nice so you'll make friends

Consthe hours were not very good, either super early morning or late night usually.

Great company

Crew Member (Former Employee)
Marietta, GA (US)

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexibility of schedule. Great benefits. I worked here during school. Perfect for a Student or anyone who wants to grow with the company.

ConsI experienced no problems while working here. Leadership, personal growth, company values are in line with my standards.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Helped me grow as a person and grow my skills

Part Time Crew Member (Former Employee)
La Canada Flintridge, CA (US)

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time for more than 8 years

ProsFlexible work hours, competitive part time pay, health and 401k benefits.

ConsPhysically challenging, work nights early mornings, and weekends.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow opportunities in the corporate office. Promote from within.

Great job for college students

Tucson, AZ (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time for more than 3 years

ProsPositive co-workers and positive management within the stores. They work great around your schedule, for example I am a student and have had no problems. I have had all "working managers" who get in there and do the job with you, which makes it more enjoyable and gives a better mindset. The employees and management are all very friendly, and the customers actually usually are as well!

ConsI don't have much bad to say about Trader Joe's. If you are looking to advance it can be difficult though, as you must wait for a position to open up.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Great Products, Great Benefits

Princeton, NJ (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou can create a schedule that fits your needs for outside of work (as long as it meets the needs of the store too!) Diverse group of co-workers. Good pay in comparison to other retail places. Very good benefits.

ConsYou definitely work weekends, and the job is physically demanding.

Very satisfying and entertaining!

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time for less than a year

Pros1- friendliness
2- type of customers
3- rotation of duties --> no boredom
4- the way the company takes care of the employees, ranging all the way from health benefits to how the managers treat the employees

Consi can't think of major cons that are worth listing here..but I'd have to say that having grumpy and rude customers to deal with is inevitable anywhere. and one con that might only apply to a group of people is having to do physical work like lifting heavy things.

Advice to Senior Managementplease hire a cleaning service to come in at least once a month to give the store a ridiculous cleaning because the cleaning we do is not enough to have it shining!

Wonderful, supportive work environment

Part Time Crew Member (Current Employee)

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time for more than a year

ProsTJ's provides a warm supportive atmosphere in which to work. The work can be demanding and the pace is fast, but we truly love our customers and have fun at work.

ConsIt can be tough physically. Even after working there for almost 2 years, I still need some time to rest and recover after a shift. Management can vary widely from store to store. Make sure you establish a good connection with your Captain.

The culture that made Trader Joe's a billion dollar company is quickly fading away

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time for more than a year

Pros-Friendly coworkers. They become one of the only reasons to enjoy this job.
-Good food and many food tastings.
-10% discount. Can't go wrong with that.
-With enough notice, you can take off basically as much as you want
-Ability to work the hours you want (if your store is big enough).
-Bonus (cash if you're under 30, money into your pension if you're over 30)
-AR starts accumulating after 6 months of work

Cons-Management literally does nothing. Most managers are extremely lazy and pass all work along to the crew members. If they like you, you get an easy day's log. If they don't, they'll put you down for long and tiring tasks. They micromanage to make sure you do the work they are responsible for.
-You are required to work at least one weekend day.
-They purposely schedule you in such a way so that you can't qualify for the health benefits.
-The entire staff is a slave to the antics of the captain. Getting a new captain changes your entire work life.
-Absolutely never become a mate. Most are a slave to the descending work schedule:
Day 1&2 1pm-11pm, Day 3 7am-5pm, Day 4&5 4am-2pm. So if you value your health (no time for sleeping, exercise, etc.) or your friends and family (no time for them, either) do not move up. The money is not worth it.
-While sales go up year after year, benefits and raises keep getting cut. Dan Bane likes to send letters out after these cuts to remind us how much better we have it at Trader Joe's, anyway.
-The work is very physically demanding, no matter how young or in shape you are.
-If they do not like you, they will find a way to fire you. Period. Kiss ass or be fired.
-They withhold raises from people they know won't fight back such as the disabled, immigrants, etc. Anything to save money.
-While managers (who do nothing) get an hour break, the crew members are allowed 30 minutes.
-You start at $10 for the most part, but if you knew how physically demanding the job was, it's really not so great after all.
-Overpriced products. You think you're getting quality but many of the products are just repackaged America's Choice and Green Giant products

Advice to Senior ManagementThe customers have made several comments about how the feel of Trader Joe's has changed over the years. They see you becoming corporate, and they don't like it. Continue to hire and not train off the street people to save money and watch as your customers exit and never return because they no longer see the value of shopping at Trader Joe's vs Shop Rite.

Worked for Trader Joe's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Trader Joe's reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Trader Joe's CEO Dan Bane. All 502 reviews are posted anonymously by Trader Joe's employees.