Town Sports International Holdings

Town Sports International Holdings Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Town Sports International Holdings CEO, President, and Director Robert J. Giardina

Robert J. Giardina

Pros:
  • "free gym membership, flexible schedules, discounted personal training"
    in 29 reviews
  • "free gym membership, great people to work with at club level"
    in 28 reviews
Cons:
  • "After being tenured for over five years, this company is great for a recent college grad with no interest in a work/life balance"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Very high turnover of managers because they are not respected"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It's getting worse! Ugh

Membership Consultant (Current Employee)
Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFree gym membership
Great Co-Workers
Fun members who you

ConsThere is no work life balance.
The 'Open House' grew from once a month to now three! That's three 12 hours of sheduled days a month. ridiculous
High turnover rate for managers. Not good.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy point goes straight to corporate. Quit with the crap. You overwork your employees and you reward bad behavior all the time. Makes it hard for anyone who works hard to want to try at all.

Alot of pressure. Should care more about their members

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDecent pay, free membership, meet interesting people

ConsIntense pressure to make goals. Company culture did not support caring about members as mush as I would like.

A great company who is ready to take it to the next level.

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings full-time for more than a year

ProsWho doesn't want to improve lives through exercise? Great mission and excellent group of employees to accomplish it. Opportunity for advancement and growth within the company both upward and to other departments.
New COO who has a good opportunity to make changes to the organization and culture.

ConsBenefits could be better. More team building opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore specific and personal celebration of individual contributions from senior leadership. And bring back the strong Learning and Development culture!

Pressure Filled Sales Company Lacking Business Analysis

General Manager (Current Employee)

ProsFree Membership
Great networking
Upward mobility (although due to high turnover)

Cons"Beat-up" Sales approach
poor salary structure; incentives included
poor sense of work-life balance
no overtime; mandated 12-hour days without compensation
Extremely High Turnover

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a more employee centered approach. Ensure that middle management understands the business as a whole and can forecast properly. Set realistic expectations. Have a formal new hire training program especially for sales personnel. Ensure feedback is listened to and applied

Left a bitter taste in my mouth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAbility to use over 160 gyms
Good place for self development
You meet some great people
Some great personal training talent.
I believe in improving lives through exercise
Experience depends heavily on management. Both club level and corporate level. I've had a variety of managers.
If you find a way to crush your goal then you're golden. And they don't seem to really care about the how... Just the results.

ConsManagement from the top down has taken a huge nosedive. And I mean terrible.

Development does not feel supported. When you do well your manager wants to take credit. When you aren't performing as well your job feels threatened. Instilling fear of losing your job seems to be a management tactic on all levels. A large reason is that the people who manage you don't know the answers or even the formula for that matter. They couldn't do your job and they know it.

The hours are horrendous. 50 hours a week for salaried positions is mandatory. And you're expected to do more hours and an extra day VERY often. If you're hourly they make sure you don't get overtime and a salaried employee is expected to pick up the slack.

Support from member services is horrible. Probably because they are overworked. So I understand. But still. The front line staff deals with the brunt of the members anger. And truthfully it does not always feel like a safe environment.

Nothing is more important than sales. Every sale is not a good sale. But some don't see it that way. Quite a few actually. Stressful environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your people better. Stop being a churn and burn. Recognize the industry has changed and you need a fresh approach to become interesting to gym goers again. Uxf is not going to do it. Top to bottom overhaul is needed in many areas. The sales structure would be a good place to start.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

good starting point

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings

Prosgreat experience and room to grow

Cons50 hours plus a week

Advice to Senior Managementgive positive feedback as well as negative

Great opportunities with industry leader!

Director (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIf you are willing to work hard, be a part of a team and step up to the challenges that people/behavior management careers can present - you will be successful! Great culture created by Robert Giardina (CEO) who started with the company some 30+ years ago as a Personal Trainer. Lots of industry experience within the leadership team which allows them to create an accountable and rewarding environment for team members. Company is still growing and opportunity is still vibrant in the culture. Best place to work if you're going to work in the fitness industry. But, you will have to commit to it. Not an easy job but, great when things come together.

ConsYou will have to work hard to deliver on the expectations of the clients and fellow team members. Sometimes that can mean long work days and weeks. Sometimes it can be frustrating to not be able to et things done as soon as you'd like. But, you do know people are working to help you. If you don't have a passion for people and the fitness industry, you will probably not enjoy working there.

Advice to Senior ManagementLots can be done to increase employee participation and satisfaction in the company. To start; why not have an employee stock purchasing program. Instant investors by the people who are actually most invested. Better health insurance plan (easy to pull a muscle when it's your job). More employee outings and events as like minded people love to be around one and other.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Sales driven environment

Sales (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

Prosif you have a great business director like I have... They lay the foundation of the sales driven environment.. Was able to get great professional development, which made me a beast in sales..

ConsYou are as good as your last sale at NYSC.... If you can't handle a high driven, high sales quotes... then you will be fired very soon.. Needs more benefits to have more stability..

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your sales guys better... they are the ones keeping your seven figure salaries...

Great Company with room for growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFree membership and discount on personal training

Cons-The hours
-Workloads can be excessive.
-Pay is very low considering what you can get elsewhere.
-benefits, do not get any holidays off

Absolutely no regard for employees or customers...horrendous leadership & culture!

ProsSales driven organization
Large network of clubs

ConsNo emphasis on customer service
No emphasis on employee needs, development or how to better serve members
No sincere interest in recognizing employees for outstanding performance.
Leadership only cares about themselves and lining their pockets

Advice to Senior ManagementChange leadership to reflect the needs a service organization

Worked for Town Sports International Holdings? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Town Sports International Holdings reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Town Sports International Holdings CEO Robert J. Giardina. All 99 reviews are posted anonymously by Town Sports International Holdings employees.