Town Sports International Holdings

Town Sports International Holdings Reviews

Updated 19 November, 2014
Updated 19 November, 2014
2.1

Town Sports International Holdings CEO, President, and Director Robert J. Giardina
Robert J. Giardina

Pros
  • friendly employees, free gym membership, everyone works together as a team (in 45 reviews)

• how bad is it when the only Pro consistently is a free gym membership in every posting (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • The hours aren't the most beneficial is looking for a good work-life balance (in 12 reviews)

• No work life balance (you are made to feel guilty for taking time off) (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

New York Sports Club

Former Employee - Membership Consultant in Bronx, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Membership Consultant in Bronx, NY (US)

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Meeting people from many walks of life. Income potential from sales commissions. Free membership to many health clubs.

Cons

Bonuses not delivered as promised. Clubs run depending on what manager is in place rather than by company standard. False sense of urgency is used on all prospects looking to join. Not all trainers deliver as promised. Customer service hotline wasn't helpful to many members. No paid overtime and overtime is almost unavoidable.

The scripts are useful but not infallible. Sales tactics need to be updated. Too much micro managing . Managers could be more hands on in club operations. Don't project power and strength based on past accomplishments from outdated heydays , rather , be strong and powerful through present performance and leadership and do something useful at present.

Membership Consultant

Former Employee - Membership Consultant in Scarsdale, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Membership Consultant in Scarsdale, NY (US)

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A sales driven environment that can be a pro or con depending on Manager. Scheduling time off is not a problem and management is flexible.

Cons

Needs more training for sales!!! Unrealistic and barely anattinable monthly goals that often lead to criticism and a negative review.

Management should be more focused on leads in sales and Positivity. Lack of imagination and planning.

Loved the people at my job but don't believe in the company

Former Employee - Welcome Team in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Welcome Team in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved working at BSC, I loved the people that came into the gym, they were so nice to me and I loved getting to know them. My coworkers were all great and my managers were mostly great as well. The company has a good atmosphere and lots of chances to get promoted, especially since they are always opening new clubs.

Cons

Sometimes I felts like the policies are unfair to customers and I hated being the one to enforce them. I feel like their policies are sneaky, and have hidden fees everywhere. It got hard to enforce them when you knew you were ripping them off.

Be more open with customers about fees, make canceling easier

Employees are as neglected as their facilities

Current Employee - General Manager in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - General Manager in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working in a gym is a plus

Cons

Pay and benefits
    High Turnover
    Impossible bonus structure

Company needs to get it together.

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free gym membership. It's fun when frequent members learn your name and build that rapport.

Cons

Company refuses to enter the new age and are stuck on the old ways of doing things. External prospecting does not work too well in a city where people refuse to stop for anything. Cold calls do not work either. My location was rated as one of the dirties clubs but yet they still continued to preach about needing more sales but did not acknowledge the fact the our club was filthy.

Ease off concentrating just on sales and focus more on the managing of the gym itself.

Good people, bad company

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings

Pros

High energy envioronment, generally very nice coworkers.

Cons

Tedious work, and inefficient ways of doing things. .

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings

Pros

Flexibility of schedule, good traffic, Decent pay if you work hard. Full Commission on a sliding scale based on # of sessions trained per pay period runs 33-55%

Cons

No 24 hour cancellation policy makes it easy to be exploited by the client and company. TSI sells EFT. based Personal Training Memberships which give clients a number of session per month and come with a three month commitment. The issue is that every month the client will renew sessions but the previous months sessions don't roll over. And if a client does not personally authorize the session via membership password being typed in at the physical location then you as the trainer wont get paid. Now mix this up with no 24 gour cancellation policy and you have a recipe for exploitation.

Change business structure so that trainers have more protection of their time and ability to fet paid for showing up.

Great people, great team spirit

Former Employee - Manager, Applications Development in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Manager, Applications Development in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

free gym membership, great people

Cons

lower IT salaries compared to other companies

HR has to do a better job

"Forced" Enthusiasm

Former Employee - Club Manager in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Club Manager in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

About the only good thing is the free gym membership and the fact that none of the clubs monitor when employees can or cannot work out.

Cons

Where to begin...how about the time we were all in a meeting at DTX regional office and we were "coached" about being enthusiastic because there were visitors from the corporate office coming to the meeting? Yes, we even rehearsed. Insane. Or, how about countless conference calls during the archaic "close outs" where the vacuum cleaner company does a roll call and then again forces the enthusiasm? Remember in grade school when there were teacher's pets? BSC is a lot like that. If you become teacher's pet you will do well - whether you lie, cheat or steal to make unreasonable numbers. Oh, then the time when an executive literally wiped his finger on a general manger's shirt sleeve. (This actually happened!) That spread throughout the company faster than you know what through a goose. All in all, a toxic culture. Run fast.

Disband the "girls club" in the Boston Regional Office, quit pacifying employees instead of making real changes with upper management that should have been demoted or replaced a long time ago and make working in the fitness industry fun again.

Worst job I've ever had!

Former Employee - Master Trainer in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Master Trainer in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great clients, some nice co-workers, free gym membership. Nothing company related, as there are no positives associated with TSI.

Cons

The company as a whole does not care about its employees or members. Town Sports International often steals money from trainers and membership consultant's paychecks. I had to contact the Department of Labor in order to get money I had rightfully earned. They also took away trainer health insurance without notifying us. TSI is a health company, what a joke!

Quit. Go play in traffic. Replace yourselves with someone who has graduated from business school. Hire someone who understands empathy, so they can work effectively with customers and employees. Or sell the business to someone who looks smart.