Town Sports International Holdings

Town Sports International Holdings Reviews

Updated 28 September, 2014
Updated 28 September, 2014
2.0

Town Sports International Holdings CEO, President, and Director Robert J. Giardina
Robert J. Giardina

Pros
  • friendly employees, free gym membership, everyone works together as a team (in 42 reviews)

• how bad is it when the only Pro consistently is a free gym membership in every posting (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • no work/life balance you are constantly on call from 5am till 11pm and forget about holidays (in 10 reviews)

• Very high turnover of managers because they are not respected (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

A good place to work and move around in different positions.

Former Employee - Party Coordinator  in  Wellesley, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Party Coordinator in Wellesley, MA (US)

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings part-time for more than a year

Pros

-lots of different positions for young unexperienced people, like birthday party coordinator, counselor, swim instructor, front desk staff lifeguard, and lots more
    - good people , good culture, young, enjoy spending time together
    -free gym membership is great!
    -schedule flexibility (can be quite a lot depending on position)
    -pool use

Cons

-high turnover rate of management
    -difficult to get a good reference for current employers looking for a recommendation
    -pay is minimal
    -staff can be a little self centered/all over the place
    -management tends to be younger less experienced/less serious group.

more goal setting towards better work environment, more organization. better benefits for staff like lunch once a month for everyone not just managers.

gain more customer service experience

Current Employee - Front Desk Associate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings part-time for more than a year

Pros

the growth in this company make you smile everyday

Cons

multitasking working in a fast pace environment

always flexible and great boss to work with

Same ol song and dance it is a job just a job liking it is not a requirement

Current Employee - Corporate Employee  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Gym is free for all employees, can Also workout during lunch time, flexible schedule

Cons

Benefits not that good, expensive, may even be cheaper if you get it on your own

Reward those that get the job done. Not those that are friends and just take up payroll space.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great People/experience but not a long term career.

Current Employee - Membership Consultant  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Membership Consultant in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is a great company to grow your skills/experience in sales, relationship building, talking with people, and mental fortitude. You'll develop personal growth because the environment is a feast-or-famine type of place. Anything learned can be applied to real life living and other career opportunities.

Cons

A lot of what's talked about is hype. The company isn't innovative. The hours aren't the most beneficial is looking for a good work-life balance.

Don't just go with what's always worked. Try and innovate rather than associate.

Fun Job for Extroverted, People-Lovers; Awful Company to Work For

Current Employee - Membership Consultant
    Current Employee - Membership Consultant

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings full-time

Pros

Meeting new people daily; fun money and decent living; great training; positive incentives; fun work environment;

Cons

Poor morale; management is deceitful and dishonest; long hours; salaried at $6.00/hr, so you can work 70 hours in 1 week and not see an extra dime. High turn over; only 7 days vacation for first year.

Burn it and start from scratch. No employee is happy here

Poor management

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free gym membership, great co-workers

Cons

Company is moving backwards, Difficult work environment, long hours

Think about putting the employees and members first and business will thrive. Also, stop hating lunkhead managers and expecting them to be good at running a business.

not a good experience

Former Employee - CSM  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - CSM in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time for more than a year

Pros

the free gym membership is helpful

Cons

no work life balance, aggressive sales practices,

good first position

Underwhelming experience being a part of TSI

Former Employee - Master Trainer  in  Jersey City, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Master Trainer in Jersey City, NJ (US)

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time for more than a year

Pros

Honestly, there were no pros in my opinions.

Cons

The leadership that I experienced was completely incompetent and non-motivational. The turnover at my particular location in leadership was horrendous; in my year and half with TSI, I experienced three different general managers and 4 fitness managers. There was a complete lack of professionalism in the office environment throughout. I felt that the leaders did not create an environment that was conducive to staff growth and improvement. The technological systems in place then allowed for a great amount of "cheating" to be done when it came to booking client sessions for trainers; there were several occasions where one particular trainer at my home location would steal client sessions from other trainers and get paid for them. Despite being aware of this situation, the fitness manager at the time allowed it to continue without any reprimand. The cleanliness of the facility was never up to par and was a constant complaint from our patrons. Aside from the issues found at my particular home gym location, I noticed the same leadership and personnel issues at most of the TSI locations that I visited to teach and/or train.

Company not interested in development of employees........Interview somewhere else

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - General Manager in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Besides the obvious free gym membership. The people you meet while working for Town Sports mainly the members are great. For the most part your co-workers are good too.

Cons

The moral is terrible. Senior management has no clue whats really going on inside the clubs. Their not interested in developing their general managers nor are they forgiving. the GM's are required to wear every hat within the club and still have the responsibility of pushing the sales team to goal every month with minimum help. The company has a very negative reputation not only with staff but with the members as well. They change membership dues every other month which always effect the long standing members. They have no real care for anyone except the board members.

Work inside the club for more than a 1 hour visit and then let me know how it works out.

A struggling behemoth in a sea of fishes

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Compensation and benefits were good

Cons

It's a large company that tries to straddle the different health club markets and is being challenged heartily by the multitude of small competitors and a few top competitors. The company lacks a supportive culture for the employees and working there is not enjoyable.

You need to restructure into a leaner more competitive player and value your employees more.

Worked for Town Sports International Holdings? Contribute to the Community!