Towers Watson Reviews

Updated 29 August, 2014

3.3

Towers Watson CEO John Haley
John Haley

Pros
  • I like that they focus a lot on employee health and work/ life balance (in 22 reviews)

• Smart professionals, great working environment and work/life balance (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance (there is none) - Long hours/weekend work (in 40 reviews)

• No work life balance during peak seasons (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Little interest in people. Good expertise in HR

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you're a young professional or a very seasoned one, TW could be a good place for you: as a new recruit, you'll learn a lot. As a director, you'll earn a lot.

Cons

For anybody in the middle of the TW food chain, life is not easy. As a consultant or Senior consultant, your targets will be very demanding and recognition quite limited.
    Furthermore, as we saw in recent months, when the going gets tough, consultants are asked to go. I've never seen a practice leader be asked to leave when his/her practice did poorly. In these cases, TW will get rid of some people in the practice to re-balance the p&l.
    No focus on people in this company, it's all about pleasing the shareholders.

Consider that sometimes when things don't go well you are the problem as much as - or more than - your employees.
    Cutting costs is short-term, shortsighted solution, that's not going to do any good to your employees.

Good.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Opportunities to grow are out there

Cons

Balance is difficult to achieve

Best job I've ever had!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Towers Watson full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The leadership in the office is very supportive and wonderful to work with, there is great work life balance, the culture in the office is positive and there are some amazing people to work with. They are always finding things to encourage employees like bocce ball tournaments and team building events. They also provide free soda, juice, coffee, water and more often than not there are leftovers from some meeting.

Cons

Having IT offshore is one of the biggest cons. It's very frustrating when you need IT needs. There are also limited opportunities for advancement.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I enjoy working for Towers Watson

I have been working at Towers Watson

Pros

Professional, respectful, good values, good career

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say

Odd Culture, political shark tank, no training- but you must do it our way...

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People are very bright and once they have kicked back a few drinks they loosen up and personalities actually begin to develop!

Cons

Leadership? Leadership is too busy to pay any attention to what the individual managers are up to. Then, when things are escalated, and probably too late- they become involved. The managers need training, the staff needs training. When leadership is engaged- they are great- it just does not happen all the time. Too bad. It would create a better environment and change the culture.

Increase training- get rid of poor managers. Pay attention to what is happening.

Work hard play hard

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

People are incredible to work with and very knowledgeable in their skill set
    If you want something, go after it. Make a business case and go after it!
    Many of the leaders have grown up from the business.
    High performing organization, challenge you day after day.
    You get to work with the top companies in the world.
    Tenure is high due to the incredible culture

Cons

Demanding work. Project based work that demands from you highly during critical periods of the project.
    You think you are high performing? Everyone is here.

Keep doing what you are doing. Growing and challenging associates day after day

Great overall. Work-Life balance could be improved

Current Employee - Retirement Actuarial Analyst  in  Manila, Manila (Philippines)
    Current Employee - Retirement Actuarial Analyst in Manila, Manila (Philippines)

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time for more than a year

Pros

Above average compensation, Great company and leadership, excellent work environment

Cons

work-life balance needs major improvements

Fast paced

Current Employee - Pension Benefits Analyst  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Pension Benefits Analyst in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lot of very knowledgeable employees. If you prove your worth and knowledge they will reward you. The products being offered to clients are very good and the collaboration between teams continues to get better. Lots of new work in the pipeline for the future.

Cons

With those rewards they can lose sight of how much someone can possibly handle at once. Can be very high turnover in lower levels which leads to lack of consistent work product.

Incompetent

Current Employee - Actuarial
    Current Employee - Actuarial

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time

Pros

Not a single thing is good

Cons

As a junior actuary I want to learn. To grow. To become the best at what I do.
    All I have done for the past year was cleaning data. When confronting management about this, they confirm that this will continue for the next 4 to 5 years, and even worse even people with 12 years of experience are still doing this.

The methods we use are out-dated to say the very least. In our whole office there are only 3 people who knows how to program in VBA. If I suggest a better approach it is shot down almost immediately.

I compare myself to my other actuarial friends in other companies and they are doing far more advanced things after 3 or 4 months than what I am doing after 1 year.

The junior actuaries hired (and a large number of senior actuaries as well), are completely useless as well with one girl who will become a qualified actuary in a few years asked me (to mention one of the few stupid questions) how to concatenate 2 cells in excel.

Another asking me what SC is exactly after working at TW for 7 months...

Good talent is leaving TW.

DO NOT EMPLOY IDIOTS. Set up a testing system in which candidates much attain a certain level to be considered to join TW.

If you enjoy 60 hour work weeks - this is the place for you!

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent Pay
    Telecommute/office location
    Intelligent & nice People

Cons

Work life balance (there is none) - Long hours/weekend work. This results from encouraging extra work for additional client billable hours.
    Entering in your time
    Staffing is not adequate
    Minimal number of paid days off
    Medical benefits are sub par compared to other employers
    Some team managers and project managers are disrespectful to staff
    Morale of many many workers can be dismal.

Let people have a life outside of work. Hire more people. Create a positive morale work environment and stop being critical. Don't let a 60 hour work week be the norm!

Worked for Towers Watson? Contribute to the Community!