Towers Watson

Updated 26 January, 2015
3.4

Towers Watson CEO John Haley
John Haley

Pros
  • I like that they focus a lot on employee health and work/ life balance (in 30 reviews)

• Flexible work environment depending upon the office and the manager (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of reviews have quoted an excellent work/life balance but I don't see it (in 52 reviews)

• No work life balance during peak seasons (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Comp Analyst/ Product Leader

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY (US)

I worked at Towers Watson

Pros

Made a lot of friends, free toilet paper, water, and coffee, and oxygen

Cons

Feel like I was in the Twilight Zone but Rod Sterling wasn't there drinking gin and smoking a cigar.

No career development, awful promotions, bonuses dependent on other units so even if you perform well your bonus may take a hit.

Poor management, lots of people coasting by doing minimal work while a few are putting in 14+ hour days to make deadlines. Management doesn't do anything about those that cant do the work except move them to different units or makes excuses.

Management afraid to make tough decisions and get rid of people

A lot of inner office conflict and turmoil, backstabbing. Departments work out of sync instead of together.

Company is still using 2 different products instead of using one even though merger was 5 years ago.

Different countries have different processes, which makes it near impossible with global clients.

No training or development for current employees.

Having to pay for parking.

Decisions made from the top that are negatively impacting the unit as they don't understand exactly how it will impact.

Having the IT group in the Philippines has been brutal as everything has been delayed and the group hasnt been trained to keep up with the demands of the organization.

Poor communication all around.

Consulting offices that are very difficult to work.

For an HR company, this is unacceptable. Take a hard look at your employees and cut the dead weight and reward those that work hard.

Good employer, good people

Former Employee - Actuary in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Actuary in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Towers Watson full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Bright, resourceful group of consultants
    Huge portfolio of large clients
    Excellent opportunity to work on a variety of projects

Cons

Job security
    Upper management somewhat detached from those they are managing

Communicate more effectively with employees regarding performance goals

Excellent experience. Great company with great people.

Current Employee - RxCollaborative Pharmacy Group Purchasing in Stamford, CT (US)

I have been working at Towers Watson as an intern

Pros

The employees are all great, very helpful, patient, and hard working. Enjoyable place to work at and learn as an intern.

Cons

There could have been increased potential in tasks assigned.

Great Consultancy

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work life balance, sharp, driven, colleagues. Prestige of being a preeminent HR consultancy.

Cons

None at the moment.

Still figuring it out

I have been working at Towers Watson

Pros

Great people
    Exposure to different industries

Cons

Not sure about career opportunities
    So-so line of sight

Good company

Current Employee - Investment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Investment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great support to qualify for CFA
    Very high caliber senior people at Band 50 and 60 which is encouraging

Cons

Not many people get to Level 50 or 60
    Very silo'd approach within the investment division

Consultant

Former Employee - Consultant in Jakarta (Indonesia)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Jakarta (Indonesia)

I worked at Towers Watson full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Had a great experience working in TW, learned new things everyday, colleagues are friendly and insightful.

Cons

Had got challanges everyday during my work in this company, sometimes stressful but it's worth it.

Ehh..Denver office

Current Employee - Benefits Analyst in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Benefits Analyst in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of PTO, decent benefits, free food once in awhile

Cons

Can't have our own desks, boring mudane work, snotty coworkers.
    The Denver office has run out of room so we have to share desks. Take a day off? Someone will be sitting at your desk. Management has told us "real estate is too expensive." So please stress your workers out more by making us not able to have your own space. Also, not much of a career path when the majority of your employees are taken off the street with no background or financial experience. Plus the Denver employees are just snotty and stuck up.
    At least this experience has made me realize I am sick of working for this industry and now getting a Master's degree.
    Oh and pay is a joke, making less than 40k and I have experience. Plus you will not get promoted until 18 months in, I've been told what a great job I'm doing but no promotion or raise. So I'm basically doing nothing challenging because you can't do anything outside of your level.

You don't care about your employees, if you did you would obtain more space, the Denver office is growing, don't punish us by making us share desks...if you had a clue you would know this increases turnover by 35%. But you can always hire from Applebee's.

Horrible Place

I worked at Towers Watson

Pros

Nice people, ok location, forced to write at least five words

Cons

Passive aggressive leadership, Terrible product

You are a "temp" , and they only hire the unemployed.

Current Employee - Benefit Advisor in Richardson, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Benefit Advisor in Richardson, TX (US)

I have been working at Towers Watson as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

VERY easy to get hired. If you have a Health and Life license and can breathe, you are hired. They hire approximately 1,500 people in August and lay 95% off in December.

Cons

I have been with Extend Health, now Towers Watson One Exchange for 3 seasons. It amazes me that Towers Watson professes to be a company that is always striving to improve "employee engagement" and they consult with their clients on how to improve "employee engagement", yet they have a company like ours where they hire thousands of "temps" each year with no intention of offering people full time positions.

It is EXTREMELY easy to be hired at Extend Health. You merely need to pass the insurance exam, if you have not already, and you need to be unemployed. I say Unemployed, because who in their right mind would leave a permanent position to become a "temp" at One Exchange. So please consider while there are many professionals who are unemployed, there are also people who are unemployed for a reason. So hiring only from the "unemployed" pool puts you at a disadvantage from the get go.

They spend SO much money on training. It really boggles my mind that it could cost less money to fire and rehire and retrain people every year than it would cost to keep people, invest in them, and develop them into top performers.
    Advice to Management
    Hire your people. Quit SAYING they are valued and SHOW them they are valued.

Hire your people. Quit SAYING they are valued and SHOW them they are valued.