Towers Watson

Updated 19 December, 2014
3.3

Towers Watson CEO John Haley
John Haley

Pros
  • I like that they focus a lot on employee health and work/ life balance (in 30 reviews)

• Flexible work environment depending upon the office and the manager (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of reviews have quoted an excellent work/life balance but I don't see it (in 52 reviews)

• No work life balance during peak seasons (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great leadership and development.

I worked at Towers Watson

Pros

Flexible hours, long term goals

Cons

Long hours can be stressful.

Poor Leadership, Poor Training, Unorganized, A mess

I have been working at Towers Watson

Pros

Decent Pay/Paid Time Off/40 hour work week

Cons

Training is bad, Very unorganized in Pittsburgh Call Center, Team Leads lack management experience, contractor hire process is horrible.

UPPER management needs to know how bad it is.

Overall, not a good experience. Not many growth opportunities.

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In theory, the company's org structure allows its employees to be exposed to other projects if they are considering pursuing their careers with other departments.

Generous time off; benefits are ok, not too impressive.

Tuition reimbursement (depends on your manager's approval)

Opportunities to work from home for some

Good work-life balance (depends on your role though)

Cons

Company sends good messages to its employees (for example that it supports their professional development), but in reality it all comes down to who your manager is. Unfortunately some employees are too much at mercy of their supervisors, and the senior management doesn't do anything about it. Not surprising that a lot of talented people left recently.

Salaries are not overly generous.

Company should implement 360 reviews. Currently performance reviews are top-down or horizontal. I strongly believe that employees should have ability to review their managers as well, and feel safe about it.

C-suite executives should be aware about what happens below the level of their direct reports.

Unfortunately the company location in Pittsburgh, hiring process unorganized, not professional. Lack of training skills.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Towers Watson full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Companys potential-skys the limit. The pay good for the position.

Cons

Training lacked the essential direction for the job functions. Anyone can read from slides, takes trainer interaction with new hires along with system practice. Either you got the skill set for CSR or not. Training should be more on systems toggling again with practice, worksheets or at least the opportunity to take proper notes. Not enough valuable time learning the clients needs. And most importantly, ,,, a company should not let one person with only ONE year of customer service experience EVER make most important decisions, ,, especially with the maturity level of a high school student. Presentation of your company is set in the attitude of your leaders regardless if they are lowest level management meaning a team lead.

My advice for management is not needed for this company.

Up and down but with no direction

Current Employee - Team Lead in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time (more than an year)

Pros

* Decent pay for a call center
    * Paid holidays and a good amount of PTO time to start

Cons

* Unrealistic views of how much team members can get done
    * Hiring managers from outside the company rather than from within
    * No real training plan to teach new leaders how to manage time, coach their peers, or address the CSRs
    * Leadership is more interested in numbers and trends than their employees

Take the opinions of others seriously rather than always looking for the easiest way to make something disappear. Truly listen to others rather than silencing or stifling their views. This business can be made or broken by your front-line employees, so don't forget that.

Working for a leading consulting team...

Current Employee - Health & Group Benefits Analyst in Montevideo (Uruguay)
    Current Employee - Health & Group Benefits Analyst in Montevideo (Uruguay)

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good people and awesome place to learn amongst very talented proffessionals.

Cons

Working as benefit analysts, we do not have any benefit in what so ever. Promotions are given based on education and degrees.

Make a minimum effort to keep your employees happy, we are young but not stupid. Degrees are not everything, promotions must be based on our personal and team performance.

Instant high pressure with NO training

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at Towers Watson full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The team I worked with were hard working. You were able to leave on time and there was no requirement to work weekends.

Cons

There was no training given at all, even if they new that you had no previous experience in any role similar. When you asked for some it was not given. The managers were dismissive and appeared not to care for their employees. The lunch break was meant to be an hour, this was cut to 15-20 mins if they were feeling generous. If they felt that you call turn around time was not within the two minuet target (very hard when you get lonely pensioner on the phone, or a difficult and complicated case) then disciplinary action would be taken. The pay was not very good. It all felt very impersonal and you did not feel valued, if you did a good job there would be no recognition. Overall it was poor, and I would not recommend them to anyone.

Towers Watson Response

Nov 05, 2014Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. All associates who join our pensions administration and contact centre teams now go on a full induction before being placed on a team to ensure they ... More

Good people, good employment terms, but not very dynamic.

Current Employee - Software Developer in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time

Pros

Good pay & benefits, flexible hours, relaxed and low stress. The people are good, and close interaction with the actuaries who use and sell our software is a benefit. Software is increasingly recognised within Towers Watson as a major part of the business and prioritised by management.

Cons

Lots of corporate nonsense can be irritating and dis-empowering. Limited domain (actuarial modelling software and associated enterprise systems), conservative customers (insurance companies) and being Windows-only can mean limited opportunity to experiment with new and cool technologies or ideas. Limited scope to move between teams/products at will.

Towers Watson Response

Nov 05, 2014Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your comments - I have passed these onto the software team.

Good place to start your career but lots of politics

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Towers Watson full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of responsibility, great place to grow and work with smart people.

Cons

Tough work-life balance; work from home policy is allowed in some offices but only to encourage longer working hours

Support bottom up ideas; more exposure to upper level management

Workplace

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at Towers Watson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great working with highly educated and intelligent individuals.

Cons

Maximum work with minimal rewards.

Embrace staff.