Towers Watson

Towers Watson Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Towers Watson CEO John Haley

John Haley

Pros
  • I like that they focus a lot on employee health and work/ life balance (in 22 reviews)

• Smart professionals, great working environment and work/life balance (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance (there is none) - Long hours/weekend work (in 40 reviews)

• No work life balance during peak seasons (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Fast paced

Pension Benefits Analyst (Current Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsLot of very knowledgeable employees. If you prove your worth and knowledge they will reward you. The products being offered to clients are very good and the collaboration between teams continues to get better. Lots of new work in the pipeline for the future.

ConsWith those rewards they can lose sight of how much someone can possibly handle at once. Can be very high turnover in lower levels which leads to lack of consistent work product.

Incompetent

Actuarial (Current Employee)

ProsNot a single thing is good

ConsAs a junior actuary I want to learn. To grow. To become the best at what I do.
    All I have done for the past year was cleaning data. When confronting management about this, they confirm that this will continue for the next 4 to 5 years, and even worse even people with 12 years of experience are still doing this.

The methods we use are out-dated to say the very least. In our whole office there are only 3 people who knows how to program in VBA. If I suggest a better approach it is shot down almost immediately.

I compare myself to my other actuarial friends in other companies and they are doing far more advanced things after 3 or 4 months than what I am doing after 1 year.

The junior actuaries hired (and a large number of senior actuaries as well), are completely useless as well with one girl who will become a qualified actuary in a few years asked me (to mention one of the few stupid questions) how to concatenate 2 cells in excel.

Another asking me what SC is exactly after working at TW for 7 months...

Good talent is leaving TW.

Advice to Senior ManagementDO NOT EMPLOY IDIOTS. Set up a testing system in which candidates much attain a certain level to be considered to join TW.

If you enjoy 60 hour work weeks - this is the place for you!

ProsDecent Pay
    Telecommute/office location
    Intelligent & nice People

ConsWork life balance (there is none) - Long hours/weekend work. This results from encouraging extra work for additional client billable hours.
    Entering in your time
    Staffing is not adequate
    Minimal number of paid days off
    Medical benefits are sub par compared to other employers
    Some team managers and project managers are disrespectful to staff
    Morale of many many workers can be dismal.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people have a life outside of work. Hire more people. Create a positive morale work environment and stop being critical. Don't let a 60 hour work week be the norm!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great for those who are starting out

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Reigate, England (UK)

ProsWorking with people who have a wealth of experience in the field
    Everyone is very helpful
    Most people are easy to work with

ConsPeople complain about salaries
    People move to other firms as they provide better salaries
    Management does not seem to do anything about attrition

Advice to Senior ManagementReview salaries and make adjustments to address the attrition rate

A great place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA (US)

ProsTowers has many talented employees and the company offers flexible schedules.

ConsThe company has a few bad managers.

Good but not great

Consulting Actuary (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsSmartest people in the industry
    Best resources
    Good benefits

ConsMerger is still evident 3+ years later
    Middle management struggling to get upper managements ideas into motion
    Constantly moving target when it comes to year end measurement

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pushing the envelope with new ideas and help roll those ideas out to the individuals more effectively.

Not great for growth opportunities

Consultant (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGood Benefits and work life balance

ConsNot a lot of growth opportunities

Make sure you have a people manager who takes development seriously.

Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsExposure to various clients and industries.

Flexible work environment depending upon the office and the manager.

ConsYou'll do the same work over and over again. If you get stuck with a people manager who doesn't care about development you can get dead ended. Some offices afford you more flexibility than others. Average benefits. I highly recommend not starting your career at Towers. Other firms do a much better job of developing their people. Go to Hay, Pay Governance or Pear Meyer if you are starting your career in this field. You'll be treated much better as an analyst or project manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job of picking people managers. Look at what offices have high turnover/haven't promoted people and ask yourself what has been the constant.

Poor Division Leadership, stifled internal issues & no incentive to perform well.

Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

Pros-Some great colleagues who are all very intelligent.
    -Somewhat flexible working schedule (remote, etc).
    -Exposure to varied clients

Cons-Well below market compensation and pitiful bonuses.
    -WAY too much emphasis on billable hours. The hours target is unrealistic unless you work like a horse.
    -ZERO incentive to perform well - bonuses are severely lacking.
    -No clear Performance Review process: Mid-Year was often skipped with no explanation. Process was disjointed and inefficient (e.g., Employees who had limited exposure to you will be asked to review you - nothing done about achieving your objectives).
    -No recognition - "It's your job, why should we let reward you?"
    -VERY poor Division Management (specifically in the OSI division in the East). Leaders are "fake" and absent in helping you build your career.
    -No advancement opportunities - if you're an Analyst, plan to stay in that role. They only hire consultants externally. Even then, the salaries are a joke (6+ year consultant was at $68k in NYC).
    -No adjustment for Cost-of-Living: Example, those working in NYC are compensated the same as those in Atlanta.
    -"Back-stabbing" and pointing fingers is the norm.

Advice to Senior Management-Focus on the employee, not their billable hours
    -Create incentive to actually perform above expectation
    -Meet market pay
    -Replace division leaders in OSI (esp. the East) with those who are both astute in the business world AS WELL as possessing some semblance of EQ.

Great Company unless you work in the Finance Department

Project Billing Analyst (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA (US)

ProsThere are opportunities to post out to other departments, but it is very rare and a slow process to transfer out of the Finance Department. The Finance Department is looked down upon and the workers are treated like peons. Management is very hands on and is constantly watching who is at their seats and working. The Department is micro managed from the Director down to the Supervisors. It is a very abrasive and tense environment.

ConsI don't have anything positive to say about personal growth, promotions and leadership except it is very hard to move. The low balled the salaries of the employees just joining the team and the disparity in salaries amoungst the group is very large. Some people make 38,000 and some make 65,000 to do the same exact job.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to evaluate the leadership role from the Supervisors up to the VP of the Department and make changes. Talk the talk, but also walk the walk. They have nice meetings but people are afraid to speak up and speak their minds for fear of retaliation or being terminated. Management is unapproachable and too hands on.

Worked for Towers Watson? Contribute to the Community!