Towers Watson

Updated 29 January, 2015
3.4

Towers Watson CEO John Haley
John Haley

Pros
  • I like that they focus a lot on employee health and work/ life balance (in 30 reviews)

• Flexible work environment depending upon the office and the manager (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of reviews have quoted an excellent work/life balance but I don't see it (in 52 reviews)

• No work life balance during peak seasons (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great work/life balance

Current Employee - Actuarial Trainee in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Actuarial Trainee in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time

Pros

The office is very casual, pretty much 9-5 hours and pleasant atmosphere.
    Fairly good social scene.

Cons

Most of the more senior staff don't mix much, but some are very friendly.
    Sometimes there are no proper office do's for long periods.

More office social events.

Ehhh...there's always one. Or. 80% of work is what you make of it.

Current Employee - Benefits Analyst in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Benefits Analyst in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pros/Cons...it all works out the same in the end. This company has better benefits, that company pays better, this company allows you more freedoms. Here at TW, we do have pretty decent benefits. I may need to get health insurance for my health insurance soon, but I think part of that is the mess that healthcare is in right now. Our PTO program is good and, yes, once in a while there's free food available. You have to be quick, but it's yours for the taking.

Cons

Snotty coworkers? It always baffles me when a person makes a general assumption/impetuous remarks about an entire group of people. We do have snotty people here. And we have people that are a little crazy. And ones that are very serious. And others that find something to laugh at in even the most serious situations. And all of them very intelligent, kind, and hard-working. If you find that an entire group of people is "snotty", one may consider some self-reflection. Is it that the entire office has an issue or is it that negative attitudes are like ebola...everone's interested in it but nobody truly wants to be around it.

TW is a very solid company.

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time

Pros

If you are lucky and have a great manager, then they will do everything they can to help you succeed in your career. There is very good career mobility and projection here.

Cons

The work/life balance is a challenge.

The Good and the Bad

I have been working at Towers Watson

Pros

Company values and senior management

Cons

Promotions
    Company policy not consistent across all management levels

Consider giving single employees free dependents for HMO

I highly enjoy working in this office!

Current Employee - Pension Analyst in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Pension Analyst in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Towers Watson

Pros

Great co-workers, relaxed corporate atmosphere.

Cons

No monetary compensation for promotions

More resources for advancing career and being compensated for hard work.

Great supporter of career development so long as you're proactive

I have been working at Towers Watson

Pros

Colleagues are the reason why this is a great place to work

Cons

Too many layers of leadership

Great Internship

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY (US)

I worked at Towers Watson as an intern

Pros

-Great learning experience
    -Very welcoming
    -Managers were happy to help out

Cons

-Did not have enough work for the group on interns to do

Co-Workers are Great!

Current Employee - Benefits in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Benefits in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I've been there for 19 months and I mostly enjoy The People, We have such a Great Team in Benefits, The work can be challenging with all of the industry changes, Salary is decent, The Paid Time Off is great, Beautiful New Office Space in PPG. Wide range of hours to work.

Cons

Work Force Management needs to work with people on a more personal level, for family circumstances. They need to have just a little human component to them...somewhere. While we understand that bottom line and company needs take precedent, they need to work with people so that they want to stay and continue to grow there. That stands on every level.

Please don't lose the Family component. We all work hard, but also need support for schedules and family circumstances. Management needs to listen to key personnel when issues arise and address them in a more timely fashion.

Pension Analyst/Administrator - Pension Administration Group (PAG)

Current Employee - Pension Analyst in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Pension Analyst in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at Towers Watson

Pros

Easy to get hired (most locations now focus on new hires who start as temps for 6 months or a year, which is great if you do not have experience, or they only hire those with a lot of experience in a rival company). The company is very flexible - you get 15 days of PTO from your date of hire and as long as you get your work done ahead of time, you can take them as needed. Also, the company recently changed their dress-code policy from business casual to allow you to wear jeans everyday if you wish (still under the business casual umbrella, though - clients do visit the offices and you should look put together). Also, working from home has not been an issue when I've needed to, but the company still likes you to be in the office on a regular basis.

Cons

Salary is much lower than the industry standard and negotiation of salary or requests for a raise are generally met with a "Nope". If you are a good, smart, hard-working employee, you generally get taken advantage of in terms of having to do a majority of the workload on teams, however, if you speak up about being overworked it's generally remedied pretty quickly. There is a billable hours requirement (which is standard for a majority of corporations), however, it is unattainable. For the lower level employees you are expected to have 1600 hours of BILLABLE time per fiscal year (ie., time the company can bill to a client for work you've done - if you don't have anything to do, you don't get billable hours). If you do the math on that 1600 hour goal, you need to get 6.7 hours of billable work per day MINIMUM, every single day of the week, WITHOUT taking account for holidays or PTO (or slow-periods within the company where your workload may be at a minimum, to no fault of the employee). In a nutshell, it is not an attainable goal for most people. Additionally, your billable hours goal is worth 70% of your yearly assessment and therefore greatly affects your promotion and salary increase possibilities. There is not a clear path of advancement and you are generally oblivious to what other departments do within the company (and therefore, you are not aware of the opportunities they may present to you). Finally, if you move voluntarily while employed for Towers Watson, do NOT expect a Cost of Living Adjustment to your salary.... even if you ask for it. The response will be "we didn't ask for you to move, you're not worth that to us".

The CEO has been traveling all around the country for the last year (and will continue to do so in 2015) to introduce himself and "see what the people think" - the reality is that he gets to travel the country on the company's dime (including the travel expenses, meals, hotels, etc.) to pop into an office or two for a couple of hours where the employees aren't going to speak up about anything because nobody knows him on a day-to-day basis. I'm not saying that he is a bad guy in any way (I've never met the man), but this exercise is wasteful and futile. Reallocate those travel funds to pay your employees what they deserve - I guarantee your turn-over rate will decrease.

Good

I have been working at Towers Watson

Pros

Great working environment and learning experience

Cons

tight schedule and busy weekends