Towers Watson

Towers Watson Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Towers Watson CEO John Haley

John Haley

Pros:
  • "I like that they focus a lot on employee health and work/ life balance"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Smart professionals, great working environment and work/life balance"
    in 20 reviews
Cons:
  • "tight /strict deadlines, work life balance can be compromised"
    in 33 reviews
  • "No work life balance during peak seasons"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

TW is a challenging workplace with great clients and bright people; unfortunately "legacy cliques" still exist.

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
Toronto, ON

I have been working at Towers Watson

ProsGreat research capabilities, a commitment to good work and exploring new ideas for top-tier clients makes TW an energizing and challenging place to build a career.

ConsSmall circles of "insider" managers and "instant labelling" means you can get stuck with in a bow you don't want to be in - and it can be difficult to find a champion to help you get out and explore other opportunities. If you're not fast-tracked you might as well look externally.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs the actuarial needs of HR plans diminish, TW moves closer to management consulting. Time to broaden the appreciation of other skill sets and experience and see they all can provide value to TW objectives - admittedly some regions are much better at this than others.

TW has very talent employees....but lack of work/life balance!!!

Actuarial Associate (Current Employee)
Toronto, ON

I have been working at Towers Watson

ProsGood learning opportunities, nice working environment

ConsPoor compensation...and no balance for work/life

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people

very rewarding experience

Data Analyst Internship (Current Employee)
Guangzhou, Guangdong (China)

I have been working at Towers Watson as an intern for less than a year

ProsI really learn a lot through the internship experience. no only with the data analysis but also get involved in different projects.

ConsMaybe the work is a little challenging at the beginning but it is worth it. I really like the experience and helps me a lot!

Great company to work for!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Towers Watson as an intern for less than a year

ProsDedicated to give interns wide exposure to different areas of the practice.

ConsSame as any other consulting firms, billable hours seem to be a tricky thing but it did not affect interns much.

Amazing people, great diverse experiences

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time

Proswork flexibility, travel opportunities, great senior leaders, international company, great colleagues

Constight /strict deadlines, work life balance can be compromised

Bloomington, MN (US)

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexible hours, still has a pension plan, and company is growing. Everyone that I work with is very knowledgable and very helpful.

ConsHigh stress at times since I work on many clients. Low pay for the amount of hours and stress you put in.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to your current employee and reward those that deserve it.

Good experience

Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Towers Watson full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPeople are great, good experience, support for on-the-job training as well as exams (actuarial), "family feel", pay is reasonable

ConsStressful with workload and hours

A wild ride

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time

ProsThere is a lot to be proud of in TW. There is truly an intense focus on doing what's best for clients and there is a lot of opportunity to grow for people who are very bright and self-motivated.

ConsWe have gotten very big and it can be difficult to stay connected with colleagues. Account Directors have so many different services to understand they can sometimes oversimplify our offerings to clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focused on what associates really care about - the opportunity to do great work and have an impact on clients

Great place to work!

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery team oriented. The teams you work with are the best of the best which makes it easy to learn. Definitely a place to have a "career".

ConsCan be a bit "corporate" where things often become segmented and silo'd. Plenty to do at all times.

Great place to start a career

Senior Analyst (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at Towers Watson full-time for more than a year

Pros- Compensation was above-average
- Training opportunities were excellent
- Ability to work on the most prestigious, complex clients on a daily basis
- Exposure to the world of consulting is something that is applicable to just about any path you wish to pursue
- Very flexible work schedule
- Ability to work from home when needed

Cons- Too much emphasis on billable hours; hours targets are unrealistic unless you continue to work outside the office and on weekends
- Spend too much time putting out fires and not enough time concentrating on the task at hand
- Bonus opportunities are lacking... not much of an incentive to put in additional hours after you hit your hours target because there's very little upside opportunity
- It's a bit of an "old boy's club" - most of the good opportunities and promotions seem to go to the favorites rather than the most dedicated and hard-working.

Advice to Senior Management- Absolutely need more advancement opportunities. Promotions only come when there's a need for it and seem to go to the favorites, and the company has (at least for lower level employees) a reputation for being a great place to start a career but not a great place to build a career. If you're not on the fast-track, the only way to move up is to move out.
- Need to judge performance on a total picture of an employee rather than how many hours they bill. Quantity does not necessarily mean quality.
- You're very lucky that your employees tend to be very loyal to their colleagues and their managers. Listen to what they have to say.

Worked for Towers Watson? Contribute to the Community!

Towers Watson – Why Work for Us?

Towers Watson is a leading global professional services company that helps organizations improve performance through effective people, risk and financial management. With 14,000 associates around the world, we offer… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Towers Watson reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Towers Watson CEO John Haley. All 285 reviews are posted anonymously by Towers Watson employees.