Timberland

Timberland Reviews

Updated 24 February, 2015
Updated 24 February, 2015
3.4

Timberland Vice President, VF Corporation and Group President, Outdoor & Action Sports Americas Steve Rendle
Steve Rendle

Pays less, work double, zero growth, management rotten till the core.

Former Employee - Fashion Consultant in Pune (India)
    Former Employee - Fashion Consultant in Pune (India)

I worked at Timberland full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Weekday offs(If u like it)

Cons

Management is rotten till the core, zero work-life balance, no planning ahead or scheduling of shifts, offs,leaves etc. causing disruptive work-life balance.Very favouring or partial behaviour of first and second level management.
    Management is self-centered, employee's benefits put last on the priority list!
    Very low yearly appraisal, no promotion, make you work total of 54 hours per week (6 days) with 1 week off-I personally think it's ILLEGAL!
    Labour law violation-hope they look into it & take some strict action!

All the good employees have left & still will be leaving, major change needed in the low level management, high level manage should look into the actual situation of staff, personally, should not only focus on sales and target, but also the difficulties & burden faced by the lower level employees.

Sales Assistant/Keyholder

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Doncaster, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Doncaster, England (UK)

I worked at Timberland full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good established brand with good initial training

Cons

My store (now closed) was a franchise so it was run differently to a typical Timberland store which did not work in it's favour nor do the brand any justice.

Many employment laws were broken including rules relating to working conditions/working hours.
    Managers attitude toward customer service was nonexistent (Sometimes escalated to swearing at customers if they had a complaint) probably due to the managers only having experience working within individual retailers,
    Had no concrete policies in place regarding returns/refunds/etc,
    Managers told us to offer an ordering service to customers when no specific ordering system was in place which meant that customers were waiting for weeks for items which actually only came in by chance,
    Our till was broken for weeks so we had to supply paper receipts which were invalid at other stores so customers weren't able to return items elsewhere,
    Due to a broken till system we also had to use a calculator to work out total amounts/discounts etc which left massive opportunity for mistakes which often happened,
    Managers told us during the Christmas period that refunds/exchanges were available up until the 10th Jan then went back on their word so we had to refuse refunds/exchanges to customers we had previously confirmed that this was perfectly fine which resulted in many irate customers and further complaints.

Don't open a franchise for a brand that you aren't ready for. Horrific experience but working within a store that is ran properly would probably have made it much better.

Good place

Former Employee - IT Developer in Stratham, NH (US)
    Former Employee - IT Developer in Stratham, NH (US)

I worked at Timberland

Pros

Good place, nice offices, great discounts.

Cons

Limited advancement opportunities. Many senior managers unapproachable or disinterested.

Reasonably good experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stratham, NH (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stratham, NH (US)

I worked at Timberland full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Dynamic team of intelligent, thoughtful people

Cons

Not at teams are created (or treated) equally; was sold on work-life balance, which didn't exist in my role

Level the playing field

Fun but stressful

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Flemington, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Flemington, NJ (US)

I worked at Timberland full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great social interactions, for the most part a friendly atmosphere, awesome people

Cons

Irregular hours, main manager horrible, depending on employees there could be lots of drama and bad corporal communication

Stop putting down your employees, they're here to work too.

Purpose driven

Former Employee - Vice President in Stratham, NH (US)
    Former Employee - Vice President in Stratham, NH (US)

I worked at Timberland full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Unique heritage, compassionate culture, quality focus. Timberland has a very talented staff that and is deeply rooted in the community.

Cons

Now a subsidiary of a holding company. Sale of the company has resulted in loss of north star. Business outlook is good but company is now focused on mass market.

Don't loose sight of what made you a trusted brand and employer of choice

Timboo

I have been working at Timberland

Pros

Free Pair of boots when your welcomed to the team. Laid back store mangers really chill place with cool people. Decent pay for seasonal position .

Cons

Crappy Hours if doing seasonal 10 hours a week Even the full time works have multiple jobs. Having to hound people to buy shoes you know nothing about.

Needs A break room Stock room is not ideal for where I want to eat my lunch.

Wonderful crew to work with and many great customers.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Timberland full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Relationship with staff, team environment. Benefits are decent, raises not so much. Great perks at the Holidays for the staff. Good quality product.

Cons

Quotas are difficult to meet at times. Promotions are few in a store, not many higher positions to fill. Company values are decent, changed after the company was bought out, but would be fine for new employees with no comparison. As with any retail position, the Holidays are chaotic.

Think through changes thoroughly and do it once.

Bittersweet

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Specialist in Stratham, NH (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Specialist in Stratham, NH (US)

I worked at Timberland full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great product, benefits, awesome co-workers, many great experiences.

Cons

Due to sale of company much downsizing and policy changes that has impacted the overall culture.

Stop looking at the dollar value and look to the value of the employees. The longevity of the employees should prove that they are what made the company what it is today. It was more than the dollars that made us stay for the length of time but the desire to build the brand. We really cared.

Timberland Photos