Thomas Cook

Add Photos

Thomas Cook Group CEO Harriet Green

Harriet Green

Sears Travel Service operated by Thomas Cook Canada

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat co-workers,
    Great Customers
    Good suppliers

ConsToo numbers focused
    Not enough marketing support
    No support from Senior Management
    Threats if performance is not at their perceived level. $50.00 revenue per hour is not a realistic goal in this economy or marketing place.

great company , lot of politics and oldies

Head - Foreign Exchange (Former Employee) Chennai (India)

Prosgreat company , good perks , less work pressure

Conslow salaries , transfers , oldies and politics

Advice to Senior Managementplease improve salaries and prune oldies based on work efficiencies rather than office politics

They have the right vision; just don't understand how to get there!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsNice place to work at; a lot of the people know what they have to do and what is expected out of them.

ConsCompensation and Benefits are not that great and never clearly explained. No working from home option as management do not trust anyone. Majority of the office is filled with out-sourced people who know how to estimate and demonstrate 3 times more efforts and costs to the management. No collaboration between teams. 5 meetings happen simultaneously to discuss the same topic and the team that screams louder get their way in regardless if its the wrong solution and will take a lot longer to implement.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes see where your money is going. Surely your largest competitor who has a team of not more than 50 are doing something right to be on-track with a company that has been around for such a long-time.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Them & Us On a Massive Scale

ProsSome of the people are great to work alongside. I can't really think of that many more....

ConsRed-Tape. On everything from currency ordering to discount levels. The "Retail Transformation" saga. Feeling disjointed from management team.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop. Just stop everything and realise that you have a legacy workforce from Thomas Cook working alongside people from Going Places and the Co-operative Travel. Use the best of all 3 brands, rather than trying to assimilate everyone into the same robot. Get rid of Cluster Managers where they are not needed or struggling (ours is shocking) and get full-time store managers back that actually have the ability to manage their time to do all the mind-numbing stuff at the times that the "DILO" says they should be done. That's just to be going on with, get back to me when you have a plan....

Never join !!!!!

Team Leader (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Pros- It used to be Harmony 3 years back , now NOTHING

Cons- FULL of politics
    - Mid and Senior Management is Disaster
    - No career,Below Marker Standards on Salary

Advice to Senior Management- Please look at the Software Department, No Strategy or IT vision.
    - There are lot of people who come to office and go daily, just sittting in meeting.
    - QA and PM Depaerment Sucks.
    - i wish i could take name, But no name no shame

Good people but huge divide between management and lower level staff

Yield Analyst (Former Employee) Peterborough, England (UK)

ProsFriendly colleagues, relaxed atmosphere, good travel perks, big company with lots of job opportunities

ConsClueless management, takes a long time to earn decent travel perks, old IT systems, poor levels of pay

Advice to Senior ManagementInvolve ground staff more in decision-making process

Too much pressure

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsGreat travel benefits
    Good name in company
    Great product to sell

ConsToo much pressure on individuals, esp when shops are short staffed and not replaced. There is too much you are expected to focus on at any one time and then they change the information they give you something completely different to focus on

Observations and mystery shops staff do not like these and don't perform the best when they know they are being "watched" the introduction of video mystery shops will be the final straw for many staff and when you can't do you job from worrying if you will be caught on camera or scrutinised no one will perform to the best of ability.

Targets stretching and over stretching and new performance objectives now brought in which once agin will probably get scrapped and something else brought in.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your long term staff on the fact they will do their job and not have to be continually monitored/ observed and have to live in fear of the mystery shopper.

Support stores where they need extra staff and not give to much information to focus on.

Very Poor

Prosmaybe the CEO and some of the new strategy

ConsVery low level management. You can unzerstand a bit because of transformation, but this level of confusion, no leadership, no information given, and very very silo mentality. Finance keep losing managers, IT transformation is disaster with all confused, HR do not help. Bad.

Advice to Senior Managementshould share vision (if they have one) and communicate. remember leadership as example not saying one thing in public meetings and then do the contrary

Good Place to work

Dispatch Clerk (Former Employee) Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)

ProsThe nicest people working there
    Good Managers

ConsNot much opportunity to progress,
    Not a wide variety of work so after a few years you get bored
    Huge chance of being made redundant as moving departments to Bangalore to save money

Very good colleagues. Good pay, really good lay overs.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExperiencing places I might never been able to go to. Travelling the world.

ConsNo full te employment. Contracts only.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart giving younger people full time employment.

Worked for Thomas Cook? Contribute to the Community!