The Standard

www.standard.com

The Standard Reviews

Updated Jul 09, 2014
The Standard – US – “Standard Plaza”

The Standard – US – “Standard Plaza”

The Standard President & CEO J. Greg Ness

J. Greg Ness

Pros
  • Great location in downtown Portland (in 13 reviews)

• Good people, good benefits, fair location (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Of course, upper management received healthy salary increases while non-management salaries stagnated (in 8 reviews)

• The news that layoffs were coming in favor of outsourcing to India was announced by the IT VP a few months ago (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Middle management and "yes man/woman" heavy

Claims Analyst (Current Employee) Portland, OR (US)

ProsAs has been said before, you do feel like part of a family.

ConsIt's very possible that your job could be relocated (something that takes months of planning) and you are given as little notice as possible. You will be not offered any real assistance in transferring jobs.

There is far too much middle management and hands in the pot. Too many "yes men/women" seem to get those middle management positions and therefore, any decision by upper management does not get the thorough debate that it may need.

Also too many middle managers who create projects to justify their positions without truly realizing the possible impacts - a prime example is when the phone system was "upgraded" with a minimum (if any) of end user testing and user training. The service level - which had been excellent prior - went down the tubes. The solution? Mandatory OT on already stressed employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider sorting the wheat from the chaff when it comes to management. Consider having a few people who will question things versus blindly approving whatever the boss says. The lack of dissenting opinions is what causes the most issues.

Became an employee as part of a merger

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Bellevue, WA (US)

ProsReasonable hours, efficient systems, good location, some up word mobility, flexible schedule, undemanding tasks, pretty good benefits, some good managers

ConsI became an employee when my company was bought out. It seemed like it would be a good place to work as an original employee but as part of a merger we were treated as second class citizens so I never really had a true "Standard" employee experience.

Not a horrible place to work

ProsAdequate advancement & educational opportunities

ConsManagement leaves something to be desired

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Would not recommend

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portland, OR (US)

ProsRelaxed environment, lots of autonomy, summer hours.

ConsManagement has been horrible. Employee surveys are being conducted from employees dissatisfaction. Hardly any clarity on employee growth or advancement planning. Employee disorganized with a lot of random testing to see what management structure will work.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet clear goals and expectations, including team managers communicating team member expectations. Without that, the right employees are not identified and the firm as a whole suffers.

Slowly Getting Worse

Anonymous (Former Employee) Portland, OR (US)

ProsEnjoyed some of my fellow employees.

ConsMy first insurance industry experience, but: Management seemed amateurish; lots of "people managers" and not enough actual workers or employees with technical knowhow. I was told the head of the company came from HR which I couldn't picture happening in another industry. Lacking Strategic direction. When I looked for employment elsewhere, I learned from several potential employers they weren't impressed by Standard employees because of the lack of training and experience received while at the Standard. A year after leaving, and working for a "real" corporation, I think they were right. Finally, NOT a place for high energy employees who want to gain experience and move ahead.

Advice to Senior ManagementEarly retire anyone?

Solid with Issues

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Portland, OR (US)

ProsLocation in Downtown Portland. Depending on the area you work in, the hours and stress level can be reasonable for a corporate environment, but can't say that is consistent across all areas of the company. The company also has a very strong record for charitable giving/community involvement, though the genuineness of these efforts has lessened over the years, and it seems to be losing prominence in that regard to some other local companies. Not sure if they do it still, but they used to provide "summer hours," which meant the week ended early afternoon during the summer.

ConsThe Company has slowly evolved into just another mid-tier publicly traded financial services company managed according to the whims of Wall Street Analysts. Management seems to overreact to short-term quarterly results. Lots of outsourced functions and staff reductions in the last couple of years. Of course, upper management received healthy salary increases while non-management salaries stagnated. The company seems to make little effort to distinguish itself as an employer of choice in the Portland market.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Don't pretend that employees don't notice and resent the disparities in comp between upper management and typical employees.

Review

National Accounts Customer Support (Current Employee) Portland, OR (US)

Proswork-life balance
    values
    career advancement opportunities if you seek them out and you are a hard worker
    good coworkers

ConsNot a very innovative culture
    Pay isn't the greatest
    Been through some tough times recently

conservative company

Prosit feels stable and secure

Consbut the work can be boring

Great company to work for!

Account Manager (Former Employee)

ProsIts been a while since I've worked there, but, my co-workers were great and have become great friends as well. Great benefits & good place for building your career path - they have a tuition reimbursement plan for school too.

ConsWorking downtown Portland can be difficult to get to & from depending on traffic and where you're coming from.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining and having a career path is always great.

Executive Asst

Executive Assistant (Former Employee) Portland, OR (US)

ProsI had enjoyed the variety of the people in various departments.

ConsVery old school or "good ole boys" type of environment. Don't have a voice or you won't have a job.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart caring about your employees', their workload, and lifestyle; rather than your constant A to A+ Ratings. An A- won't kill you, and would also keep jobs available, rather than load up the ones left behind. Try to choose managers with a backbone and can see brown nosing for what it exactly is.....

Worked for The Standard? Contribute to the Community!