The Nielsen Company

Updated Jul 30, 2014

3.0 1,139 reviews

The Nielsen Company Chief Executive Officer Mitch Barns

Mitch Barns

Pros
  • They have a great work life balance with work from home options available (in 81 reviews)

• Work hours are very manageable, work from home possibilities are nice (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is challenging given the workload is often too much (in 100 reviews)

• depending on your role, you could be working long hours in some stressful environments (in 67 reviews)

More Highlights
1,139 Employee Reviews

a

ProsGood team working environment here

ConsRestricted career path in my area.

Love the company; not a fan of the assessment system

Senior Market Analyst (Current Employee) Markham, ON

Pros- lots of opportunities to learn and develop your analytical skills
    - (mostly) great people to work with
    - get to work for a well respected company

Cons- the assessment system (bottom 20% are let go)
    - need to learn about the client you're working for really fast

Advice to Senior Management- don't get rid of people if you don't need to just because you need to let go of 20% of the analyst team

Product Manager

Senior Product Manager (Former Employee) Montreal, QC

ProsGood benefits, possibility of international career. Good work environment. People are great.

ConsMeritocracy does not always work.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent with employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Once was a great place to work, now a shell of its former self

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Markham, ON

ProsOpportunities to work with a variety of leading CPG and Retail companies. Wide variety of analytical problems. Strong training program

ConsThe company is focused solely on driving shot-term profitability gains. As a result, it has sacrificed its culture and values. It has decimated its bread and butter services, cutting to the bone and getting rid of institutional memory. Bonuses are stingy and salaries are not in line with opportunities elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart reinvesting in core services to stay relevant with the marketplace. Keep salaries in line with other opportunities

A good start for your career but for career progression, more of a challenge

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

Pros- A lot of manufacturing companies hire Nielsen associates because they purchase Nielsen data and would need people to help analyze their Nielsen data. So a good start if you want to move to the Retailer or Manufacturing side in the long run.
    - They do have a Work from Home program.
    - Great people to work with.
    - Good career progression in some departments but not all.

ConsWork Life Balance really depends on which department you are in. In Innovation Analytics (BASES) or Custom Analytics, no work life balance. In Continuous Analytics and other Professional Services department, the hours are steady 9-5pm. They do have a work from home program but it really depends on whether your department supports it or not. I'm currently in a department that doesn't support it at all when really the tasks I do can easily be done at home.

Advice to Senior ManagementStill find there is a disconnect between the departments. Work to ensure that the same message and processes are shared across teams.

Market Analyst

Market Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsGreat place for training. Training is not limited to the CPG industry or Market Research, you have options to take classes on being a better story-teller, a better consultant etc..

ConsSalary is very low
    Work - life balance depends on the team your and the amount of projects your clients requests.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to us openly about verticals

Market Analyst

ProsGreat on boarding/ training, no micro managing (come and go as you please), lots of flexibility on work hours

Conslow salary, may doted line reports

Not the same company as it used to be

Analyst (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsThe people were great! Great team environment as everyone would help out a fellow co-worker in need.

ConsCareer progression was limited after a certain point.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat people and experience should be what makes the company. Management should try to retain good people. It shouldn't be like a revolving door.

Excellent place to start a marketing career

Associate Analyst (Current Employee) Markham, ON

ProsHighly recognized development program in CPG industry. Lots of opportunity for growth/development. Great learning opportunities. Great work environment and culture.

ConsPay is good for a start but increases are small. Promotions can come fast but again the raises are modest.

Good Place to Work but under paid

ProsWork-Life Balance, people, industry tools

Conspay, location, advancement opportunities, and downsizing

Worked for The Nielsen Company? Contribute to the Community!