The Hartford

The Hartford Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

The Hartford Chairman, President, and CEO Liam McGee

Liam McGee

Pros:
  • "years and watched them create probably the best work/life balance in the industry"
    in 48 reviews
  • "Work from home option can be available after a year or two also"
    in 31 reviews
Cons:
  • "Absolutely no work/life balance in Finance with very limited career advancement opportunities"
    in 26 reviews
  • "It's best to start out in the call center but then move on from it after no more than 2 years"
    in 15 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Accomplished quite by managing transformational initiatives.

I have been working at The Hartford

ProsIf you are a hardworking person with innovative ideas and get a good manager then you will get a chance to put you ideas into practice

ConsReally not much except that it depends on your manager. Some may have been there quite a bit and have difficulties with the generational changes.

Some of the same things that made it great, are what are now dragging it down.

Product Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at The Hartford full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFantastic benefits, but they are slowly being reduced, or removed altogether. Used to be very good job security, but now outsourcing and cost cutting is the name of the game. Which I normally wouldn't mid AS much (survival of the fittest in my eyes) however, there is still a great deal of nepotism which means if you related to someone there and are an sub-par you get promoted, but if you aren't related you get put on an action plan. And no, I was never on an action plan, nor was I related to anyone there, I worked my tail off.

ConsOverly buerocratic and lethargic in its decision making processes, resistant to any "real" change, minor changes are long over due and do too little to deliver meaningful results. Once had a VP drop two f-bombs on me while he was berating MY professionalism of all things.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to take a long, soul searching look in the mirror regarding who you have, where you have them and do they REALLY belong there. Remember your employees are the customer facing people in your company and make the company great or terrible, so treat them well.

Great place to work.

Commercial Underwriter (Current Employee)
Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at The Hartford full-time for more than a year

ProsWork/life balance is great. Company moving in the right direction

ConsCompany doesn't recognize personal growth goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementValues are there, in house promotion needs work.

Good Company

I have been working at The Hartford full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits are good. Most people are professional and friendly.

ConsA bit top heavy. Lack of innovation. Ideas are not valued to the level it should be, although progress is being made. A lot of the "we've always done it that way" mentality which hurts innovation.

Hard Working Atmosphere

Senior Analyst (Current Employee)
Maitland, FL (US)

I have been working at The Hartford full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood recognition of achievement, lots of growth opportunities.

ConsCompensation for time worked, work/life balance.

Customer Service at it's most challenging

I have been working at The Hartford full-time

ProsThey people and culture are awesome. The leadership team is exceptional. Pay, benefits, time off, in house promotions, remote work. You pretty much know what is expected of you. Good first job, entry level especially if you do not know what you want to do. Gain expierience with phones and basic office computer enviroment.

ConsUnrewarding, too stressful, growth is limited to vertical and that is not ideal for everyone, expectations sometimes seem unrealistic. It is not black and white which can be hard for some people.

The Hartford

Applications Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Hartford full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe company has been good to me. My career is on the rise and they are paying for me to go back to school.

ConsLots of changes of late but I am happy to still be here

Advice to Senior ManagementSome better raises would be nice.

Place to build a career

Agency Care (Current Employee)
Santee, CA (US)

I have been working at The Hartford full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent training and support as a new hire to set you up for success.The coworkers are friendly and suuportive and leadership seems genuinely dedicated to customers and their people. Most Managers have worked as Reps so they understand and can be very supportive. Great place to build your career with tuition reimbursement and promotions to different roles and management possible after a couple if years. Benefits are good, salary is OK but you can earn awards and incentives. Work from home option can be available after a year or two also.

ConsWork can be challenging with lots of metrics about your performance. This is not a good place for just a job, more like a career place to come, learn and get advancement. Leaders serious about performance and will help you get ahead and be successful. Been there 3 yes and can say you will get out of it what you put in. Work hard and you can get good career advancement,help with tuition and hours that work for you. Lots of overtime available which can be a good thing if you like $.

Advice to Senior ManagementComputer systems are s bit dated. Would like to see more remote work opptys. Overall great company, great people to work with and for.

Uneven

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at The Hartford full-time

ProsRemote work, future focus, transparent approaches

Consfrequent reorgs (which are potentially reaching a natural end), uneven communication

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure the benefits of the organization and exciting aspects cascade as fully as the work ethic and requirements.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good learning experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at The Hartford full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood people to work with.

ConsStrategic direction and ability to change is limited.

Worked for The Hartford? Contribute to the Community!

The Hartford Videos

The Hartford – Why Work for Us?

​​Overview​​ ​​​The Hartford spirit is collaborative, collegial, and community oriented because our culture is rooted in shared values. Our employees live the values of integrity, teamwork, customer focus, financial… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Hartford reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for The Hartford CEO Liam McGee. All 494 reviews are posted anonymously by The Hartford employees.