The Children's Place

www.childrensplace.com
Employer Engaged

Fast paced & challenging work environment

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

Great benefits, some great mentors, & leaders

Cons

Constant floorset updates & price changes. Heavy workload with 2 person coverage.

Not the greatest place to work.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Generous pto time. Although you never have an opportunity to use it.

Cons

Stores operate on minimal payroll almost all year. Occasionally extra payroll is given for things like clean sweep or writing reviews but nothing is allocated for setting a floorset or processing high amounts of freight. This seems very backwards to me. I've been in retail management along time and most companies want to make sure what the customers see and experience is #1 priority when it comes to payroll. Usually we are expected to set a new floorset, change the window, set all new marketing, change every mannequin, and process the freight for the floorset with only 2 people working and all while the store is open for business. Us tearing apart a wall is not what our customers want to experience! And God help us if a customer complains because we didn't give them enough attention while we were "multitasking" our butt off! And THERE IS NEVER PAYROLL TO TRAIN NEW PEOPLE! And photo reviews are a freakin joke. Floorset is done? Nope reset all the walls because those mannequins need to be an inch higher. Be prepared to bring your own toilet paper at least a couple of times a year because supply order freezes include not ordering tp!

STOP CHASING YOUR TAILS! Get a clue about the reality of running a store that is open 72 hours a week on 165 hours of payroll. We showed you we could do it because most of us a scared of losing our job if we don't hit your ridiculous deadlines. Oh and if your going to trust managers with over a $1 million a year in sales and a set of keys to your store maybe you should trust us to set a floorset without sending a ton of photos to prove we know how to set a perfect floorset when every store is a different size and shape. The customers don't give a damn if the mannequin is 38 inches high or 39 inches. These kinds of details are a waste of our limited payroll. Jane, go spend 1 week in an average volume store during floorset and you don't get to pull the ceo card. Wear comfy shoes and get your hands dirty! Bet you allocate more payroll after 1 week of floorset hell!

Just don't do it!

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love the people that i work with

Cons

Low pay, non realistic expectations, No feeling of accomplishment ever. Nothing is ever complete because they change everything so often. Insurance is over priced.

Give hours. If you want things done correctly, make sure you give us the resources to complete the task.

Bus route way too long

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

full time benefits and co workers are nice

Cons

low pay, long route, not sympathetic when sick, inconsistent and sudden changes

cut route shorter or hire another driver. Get some competitive salary and notify people of changes before you need something

Neutral

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

Employee discount and health benefits as a manager

Cons

management training doesn't happen. THey expect you to learn as you go

Bar set low...

Current Employee - Merchandise Manager in Secaucus, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Merchandise Manager in Secaucus, NJ (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free parking, company events to try and build moral/spirit, nice coworkers, benefits are good, good discount on kids clothes. This company doesn't pinch pennies the way that some other companies do.

Cons

In general you are not working with the best of the best. There are exceptions, but mostly not. Management does not know how to delegate and develop people, so very hard to get more responsibility because they have been let down before by mediocre employees and because no one has taught them how to lead. A manager at The Childrens Place is like a mediocre analyst at another retailer. Lots of up-titling.

A lot of consultants running around sucking the place dry (sucking money and opportunity for employees.

Stop blaming your location on your inability to recruit good people. Take a look at your reviews by corporate employees here and take accountability for your actions.

Graphic Designer

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Secaucus, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Secaucus, NJ (US)

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Huge company wide activities, Unlimited sick days, lots of Snow days, movie tickets, gym discount (& etc retail discounts)

Cons

Super long hours, if the job doesn't get does it's YOUR OWN problem, if you stayed too late you might get in trouble however the building is open 24 hours

Look after yourself because you will never know when Jane doens't like you and post your job openning on the internet while you're still at your role

Great place to work

Current Employee - Store Manager in Waterford, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Waterford, MI (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company prefers to promote from within. Flexible scheduling for part time associates to allow for other employment if desired.

Cons

Constant updates to floorset would be my only con. Payroll is not always generous however this is the case in retail in general.

Very friendly work environment

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chico, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chico, CA (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

I have a great staff to work with that can always help out if you ever need a shift covered and are very friendly. And I love seeing all the cute little kids and baby's that walk through the store I can say the majority of the time you never have a dull day working here.

Cons

I have nothing but good to say about the company and my staff :)

You're awesome keep up the great work :)

Co-Sales Manager

Former Employee - Co-Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Co-Sales Manager

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

The product was of great quality, it was easy to sell because it was something I believed in.

Cons

Constantly pressuring you to do more work with less and less hours to do it.

Work in a store, see how life really is.

The Children's Place Photos