The Children's Place

The Children's Place Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers

Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 32 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 46 reviews)

• Floor set was a week long project with a window change that usually took three people to complete (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Product and promotions for customers.

Store Sales Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsGreat pay . Great hours and great customers.

ConsToo many prices changes and moves done daily,weekly as well as monthly.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't work with the company.

Great Experience.

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsThis is a great job to have if you need a second job or even just something to get you out of the house. Honesty, it's a really easy job to have!

ConsCompensation could definitely be better. They do offer health insurance and such but other than that on benefits, unless you're a Store Manager or higher, you don't get bonuses or much more.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your associates. They know and understand more than you think. Your associates should have more benefits or more incentives. It would help everyone with in the store.

Store Lead

Store Lead (Current Employee) Mishawaka, IN (US)

ProsThere's always room to grow with this company. I was hired in for holiday help and I was promoted to Store Lead a couple months later.

ConsIt's retail so the pay isn't as good as I would like.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awful working experience.

Sales Lead (Former Employee) Sandy, UT (US)

ProsA fast paced environment where there is always something going on so you are never really bored. The discount is pretty awesome.

ConsSome of the biggest cons I found while working there: Low pay, no payroll, they hardly gave any training to their employees, sometimes the workload is ridiculous, horrible district manager, everything changes last minute, store managers and employees are overworked, and they are not flexible with schedules at all!

Still waiting to here back from the company but so far have had one phone interview. Know excel

Prosinterview was very basic (mainly background information)

Conshaven't started working so nothing thus far

Great job if you like working hard with no appreciation

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)

Prosextreme weight loss due to stress

Conscompany values, upper management, store organization, promotional opportunities, EVERYTHING

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is a TERRIBLE company to work for. Stores are given very little payroll...so little that it is just 2 associates all day. Then the store is expected to handle constant floor changes and updates, price changes every other day, all while training new associates and handling rude customers with their unruly children running through the store destroying displays. There is ZERO opportunity for growth in the company. Upper level management hires incompetent store managers and then refuses to handle the situation when the store manager is not performing. Instead of owning up to the poor decision, the blame game comes into play and fingers are pointed at everyone but the cause of the problem. You will work your butt off day in and day out, work ridiculous hours and then get zero appreciation from upper management. During store visits, you will not get any complements, only a huge list of things that are wrong...that's if the visitors even acknowledge your unworthy presence. Corporate sets ridiculous goals for the company credit card and when your team actually does meet the goal, the next month is set even higher. Again, no "thank you for your hard work. you did a great job." Instead, it's just "more, more, more." My advice to management: try living off what you pay your employees and when you can't afford to take care of your families, then re-evaluate how you do business. Or better yet, just close up shop and jump off a cliff. Then again....corporate hasn't listened thus far, so this was actually just a waste of my time.

Stay away

Merchandise Planning & Allocation (Former Employee) Secaucus, NJ (US)

ProsThe people are great and try to make TCP a fun place in order to cope with the huge amounts of stress and high expectations.

ConsUnrealistic expectations. Every man /womanfor themselves culture. No teamwork or assistance from managers. Obscene amounts of work. No training. Extremly stressful environment. 0 appreciation for work done or the amount of work it takes do do all of their ad hoc and side projects. Stay Away!!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue. It isn't worth pinching every penny when your entire staff is unhappy. Learn to treat your employees with some respect and appreciate them for their contributions instead of constantly pointing out their failures.

tcp ptsd.

Sales Lead (Former Employee) Lake George, NY (US)

Proscute babies smile at you sometimes and its a great environment for people who need to be doing something all the time. some of the clothes are really fashionable.

Consi literally had ptsd symptoms after working at this brainwashing consumer monster. i worked there for 9 months total.
    being an associate was great, work load was manageable, but i worked very hard to get a promotion and i was offered way less money than i deserved for all the work you really have to do as a sales lead, and no one had time to train me. i couldnt get hours, even as a keyholder. i worked in an outlet and so there were a lot of "vacationers" who were rude and never enough staff to deal w the amount of customers. poorly trained management and everyone bears the pressure from corporate to reach unrealistic sales and conversion goals. the worst part was the emphasis on the rewards program and place credit card, which we are pressured by management to use ruthless methods to obtain. so many girls would come in and work one day, and never show up again. policies are constantly changing and hard to keep up with. i was depended on way too much, even as an associate. and the music will literally make you crazy.

The Children's Place

Prosemployee discount, fun atmosphere quality products

Conslousy pay and very little hours

Fun career, never a dull moment.

Store Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsManagement is open and honest

Consso little time to complete all tasks needed

Advice to Senior Managementmore hours needed to train the right people for their jobs, we stress the right person for the right place at the right time but if they don't walk into the store as that person....we can't invest in them right away without sacrificing time away from our customers

Worked for The Children's Place? Contribute to the Community!