The Children's Place Reviews

1. Upper management has no idea what it's like to work in a store

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at The Children's Place full-time

Pros

Staff at store level
    excellent benefits available for full time employees
    cute product
    IF your store is fully staffed management schedule can be relaxed

Cons

Constantly changing promos and sales are confusing to customers and employees who might only work one or two days a week.
    Home office seems oblivious to concerns of the store.
    District manager completely out of touch.

2. sales associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun working environment, employee discount, flexible schedule, friendly store level managers , loyal customer base

Cons

Need to better appreciate staff and give employees stable hours instead of 4 one week and 40 the next! Upper level managment ( district and regional mangers) doesnt have realistic on how store should be ran or understand what the customers want.

Advice to Management

Learn to better appreciate sales associates, give stable work hours and be more selective during hiring process and stop hiring a bunch of people with having enough payroll hours to go around.

3. Not bad, management needs to stop hiring inexperienced supervisors

Current Employee - Cashier in Poughkeepsie, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Poughkeepsie, NY (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the customers are super nice
    Co-workers are awesome to work with
    Management is very structured and holds you to high standards

Cons

Not enough hours to go around, management keeps hiring people and cutting everyone's hours, open availability means nothing to management.

Advice to Management

Really think about who you're hiring BEFORE you hire them, instead of figuring it out after all your employees have lodged complaints.

5. Good and Bad, differs with location.

Former Employee - Lead
    Former Employee - Lead

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

Understanding managers, good working environment,

Cons

Barely trained ANYONE (even new managers), Low pay, many rude customers

Advice to Management

Put higher value in your employees, set up a training program,

6. Sales Associate, Sales Lead, and Assistant Store Manager.

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In the store I work in, you are put into multiple roles (in my opinion) so after working there for a year or so, you know what needs to be done in most aspects of the store. That in itself was great experience for me since I am a Retail Major. My store also has a lot of workers who have been there for a year or more. That makes it a lot easier to connect with people because you've known them for "X" amount of time and makes work fun! Management is also very flexible with my college schedule, which is great and MUCH appreciated. Good discount and also bonuses for amount of credit card applications you receive. Management is also very open to new ideas and suggestions anyone has.

Cons

Not as much associate appreciation as other companies. The discount is great, but when you're a college student like me and you don't have any children to spoil, it's often pointless. Lots of visual/promotional updates that can sometimes overlap each other...if you're in management and you're there often, this can be frustrating because you end up doing "double work" sometimes. Not always opportunities for advancement. You may have to seek them out yourself rather than being "promoted".

Advice to Management

Nothing as of right now!

7. Store manager

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits! Lots of PTO. Good pay.

Cons

Workload is just insane and usually requires the store manager to work well over 40 hours. 20-30 boxes of freight everyday. Only 2 people working in the store at most times because of lack of payroll give.

Advice to Management

Be ready to have no life outside of work. If your a go-getter, this is the place for you.

8. Amazing, always something to do

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tucson, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tucson, AZ (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The store is very easy to learn about and see where clothes go. You don't have to deal with customers unless they ask for a size or at the register. Your main focus is te store and management is amazing and friendly

Cons

Some rude customers and I wish we could wear tennis shoes

Advice to Management

None so far they are amazing at training and have great patience

9. Don't even waste your time to work here.

Former Employee - Sales Lead in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in New York, NY (US)

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

No good reasons to work for this company at all to be honest.

Cons

Very little pay, not enough hours, they expect the managers to do everything, upper management focuses way too much on what you don't do rather than balancing out what's good and what's not working, store managers are involved with the gossip way too much and have favoritism. Floor set is always changing, price points drop basically a penny less and they expect you to hard-mark, merchandise and sign the entire store with the limited amount of hours they provide you with. Definitely no growth opportunities with this company.

Advice to Management

Hire some decent managers and then you will see a successful store

10. I worked at TCP for about six months. It was technically my first job and the experience was just okay.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rockwall, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rockwall, TX (US)

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

The pay was decent, there's bonuses that may be awarded by the number of credit card applications you are able to get during the month, and you also have a pretty good 30% discount as well as associate appreciation week that increases that which is nice. Accommodating and understanding when it came to school schedules, great managers!

Cons

Aside from the bonuses every once in a while due to credit cards, there's not great benefits. The employee appreciation is very low compared to other companies. There seems to not be very much room for advancement in the same company. The store that I worked for was also a bit disorganized and we had some misunderstandings, although management was pretty accommodating and understanding. You have full call-in shifts that you are responsible for and are an extreme hassle.

Advice to Management

Full call-in shifts should not be a thing, more people should be scheduled on planned busy days specially when stocking is necessary, and there should be a formal platform to turn in request off days so that those and their approval/denial can be tracked by everyone.

11. Unattainable results on a daily basis. Heavy workload. Stressed to the max.

Former Employee - Store Sales Manager in Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Store Sales Manager in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice PTO benefits for Store managers. Had stability in the position.

Cons

Heavy workload that seemed unattainable in between customers. Deadlines for floorsets couldn't be reached due to product never arriving on time. Payroll always a struggle- Expected to complete tasks but no payroll properly allotted. Poor pay for associates, only allowed to hire as minimum wage. The corporate atmosphere overtook in the last couple years from the family based atmosphere originally hired into.

SSM expected to work strenuous hours on a regular with no home balance. Stressful and tiring.

Advice to Management

Take advice from field associates on a regular basis opposed to the home office executives. Field associates take on the work load and seem over looked by headquarters.

The Children's Place Photos