The Children's Place

Updated 20 October, 2014
2.1

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 38 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 53 reviews)

• Need to have more hours then they give for Back to School, Christmas, and floor sets (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Positive working environment and culture. Truely wants the best for Children and the people that work in the stores.

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Secaucus, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Secaucus, NJ (US)

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strong culture, autonomous working environment in my department. Good salary and benefits. Had the opportunity to do want I loved to do with people that I liked every day.

Cons

Very poltical home office environment. Became all about the dollar. Feel that CEO was very disconnected from the field. Making decisions without transparency.

Very important to be honest with your teams.

Assistant Manager expectations/rewards

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Rochester, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Rochester, NY (US)

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good 401k. Awesome vacation pkg. U get $bonuses as long as u leverage payroll ie Sell more merchandise than payroll hours given to achieve $x sales...only got this once. Payout of $30.00. In my 2 yrs of working for them. I had great ssm when I was hired, but she got transferred and I got stuck with a manager that expected me to do everything, while she was "out sick" or on a "vacation" ... mind u these vacations usually took place during our BackToSchool Sales or just before a Company visit. I should have transferred with the SSM that hired me... I would have been trained better as a pier Not just an employee.

Cons

Conversion...30% daily i.e.. each customer that walk in Buys something. DOR- division of responsibility. My SSM, I was left with, never gave me any "props" always a poor mark or a "u don't do enough" complaint. I cannot force people to open Charge Cards. I cannot, empty all the freight, get it all put away perfectly, do your schedule, do all the transfers, set all the Windows and floorsets and make our Store Sales of at least $4000.00 a day without some other manager actually being IN the store to help on occasion. And O by the way keep the store clean and neat and smile at all the customers and personally help all the customers. Also, we had DM Conference. Call's weekly...which she usually missed. "DM?'s. "Why didn't you make your sales...what is your selling plan this week? Why wasn't all the freight processed? Why did u call in people this week you don't have the sales to say it's OK to call in more people?!" "Really?! Why don't u ask to speak to your SSM? ... whatever!

Upper Management should hold their SSM Accountable...they should check on them to see if they are actually in the store. They should make sure their SSM is training their Assistant Managers to do what is expected of them...not just finding fault with them. The SSM should be In Store During PEAK Season... but I have worked retail long enough to know...Upper Management probably could care less about their Store "filler" associates...They just want the SSM to have their sales goals met any way they get it, is fine. .. just don't let the District $$ show a decrease. DMs should hire SSM that want to be In Store and encourage their Team to move up and guide their Team with Support for successful sales.

Nice place

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Harrisburg, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Harrisburg, PA (US)

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good discounts, friendly staff, clean, not over-staffed

Cons

Boring, low pay, not enough hours

Offer more incentives

Ridiculous

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

Very very hard working associates

Cons

Run run far away from this place!!!!! Absolutely no payroll to support the workload. On 2/2 coverage continually, even during back to school and holiday,with 20, 30, 40+ cartons rolling in daily. Along with major flloorset monthly and visual moves weekly or more often, along with 2000 markdowns, pricing changes every couple days-I've never seen so many signs in a store in my life-window changes, redress the 40 mannequins. No hours for training. And remember to service every customer, give them the mesh bag you have to wear on your shoulder, get them to open a credit card, sign them up for the rewards program, ask them to take the online suevey=all of this while your freight sits unprocessed in the stockroom. These are all fine and dandy on paper, but REALLY, this expectation is not humanly possible. GET A CLUE TCP

Ok place to work

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Pitts, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Pitts, PA (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Love the clothes, good quality. Employee discount is pretty nice. Associates work well with each other to accomplish goals.

Cons

Need to have more hours then they give for Back to School, Christmas, and floor sets. We don't have magic wands. Higher pay rate would be nice.

Stop having so many updates, especially around busy times. Things don't need to be moved 5 times in 2 weeks.

Sales Associate

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

Great Place to work, good pay, flexible schedule with school, good discount

Cons

Working holidays, not much room to move up

I researched and read negative reveiws. It was all true. I noticed first in the interview when their honesty mimicked exactly what I read.

Current Employee - Lead Manager in Levittown, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Lead Manager in Levittown, NY (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

In the store I worked in, the schedule was extremely flexible.

Cons

Although there was flexibility as far as the schedule, there was no hours to switch of call out for an emergency. How does that happen, you ask? Well my location would function on 169.00 hours. There was no time to do the work that needed to be done. As a manager you literally do it all. Paper work, shipment, clean, watch the floor, ring transactions, help customers, and babysit employees instead of mamage them. Most of this fine when there are more than one on one coverage. That's tight there's only two people in the store most of the time. And leaving the store to eat or do garbage are not possible without three people in the store.(unless done before hand). There are no benefits and the pay is ridiculously low. There are no hours for training and bad communication throughout shifts. No development to move in the company.

Stores outside of the malls need hours too. Training should be implemented to actually develop employees to grow. Management should manage not babysit employees. Pay should be raised.

WHAT A DISGUSTING PLACE TO WORK!!!!!!!!

Former Employee - Sales Lead
    Former Employee - Sales Lead

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You have SO much stuff to do that time flies by.
    Learned how to sink or swim in most situations because you are pretty much left in the dark.

Cons

This place is such a joke, where do i even start. First off, i was hired to be a key holder/lead and i had two years retail experience but i had no idea what a nightmare this was going to be. 5/7 days my typical day went as follows: Its 2/2 coverage ALL DAY, and i had to UNBOX, HARDTAG, FOLD/HANG, and figure out where it goes with about 20-30 boxes FULL of random clothes, and at the same time you had to be back up on register, move the walls and fixtures around so all the clothes that we had no room for could fit, check the emails 10 times an hour, write down the hourly sales and do all this pointless math for it, change signage, greet customers, hand them all shopping bags, answer all questions, ask them to apply for a place card and ask for email when checking out. i mean so much stuff that two people cannot get done! And dont even get me started on the FOLDED TABLES!!!!!!!!! This stupid company wants to send you 50 different colors and patterns of the same shirt/pants, and then 20 of each of the shirts and they want you to fold them and stack them 10 feet high because NOTHINGS aloud to be in the back! So you have to spend 3 hours folding one graphic tee table until its to the point that all you have to do is breath on it and it falls over, now how stupid is that?! The store is so PACKED with so many clothes that its hard for the customers to even shop let alone you clean it up in a timely manner. you have literally SO many tasks it will make you sick! I went home everyday freaking out about how tomorrow im going to be in so much trouble bc i didnt get a 40 task list done in 6 hours. its ridiculous! I was a store lead but did EVERYTHING the assistant manager did, but i didnt get the credit! I finally quit when a horrific person transferred to be our new assistant manager and she harassed me everyday to tears, when we were alone shed try and degrade me and made my life a living hell and the DM couldn't care less! they favor people and let them get away with anything! THESE PEOPLE ARE SLAVE DRIVERS! It is not worth it, please take my word! This company only cares about the money, they dont care about you or your family or the life you have. Btw if you are just a cashier, good luck getting more than 8 hours a week! To be able to get all the tasks done you literally HAVE to work off the clock and sometimes go to the store IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT AND WORK OFF THE CLOCK just so that you can finish all the impossible work loads! The company doesnt want you to tell you to do illegal stuff but they know you are doing it and of course they wont ever say anything until they have to. And people are favored to the point that two people could be doing something wrong but the one who is favored gets to stay, the other is fired. The DMs never come and check on the store and have no idea whats going on. This review is so everywhere because there are SOOOOO many cons about this place itll make your head spin! Apparently this place is "customer focused" yet all the customers see whats going on! they can feel the tension, and see you running around with no time for them because youre so busy and you are so hostile to the customers bc you seriously cannot stop thinking about the 20 things you have to do in the next half hour!

FIRE EVERY DM AND ESPECIALLY THE CEO!!!!! Start it all over!! ALL you need to get your head out of your ..... And Stop making it impossible to get things done! stop with the overwhelming daily tasks! Realize that WE HAVE A LIFE AND A FAMILY, just because we work for you doesnt mean you run our life. YOUR CULTURE AND VALUES SUCK! You wonder why you have such a high turnover and why there are so many bad reviews, newsflash YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOURE DOING AND YOU PUT NO EFFORT INTO TRYING TO FIX IT!!! 70 percent of these reviews are from people who are STILL working there, for some reason, WAKE UP!!! JANE ELFERS just give this place up to someone who actually cares and isnt a greedy selfish slave driver!

Don't recommend

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The discount is good only if you have kids. Other than that I can't really say anything good about working here.

Cons

They give you no hours and the pay is really really bad. I wouldn't recommend this job to anyone. It's a waste.

Give more hours

Great pay, bad job

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great employee discount and you get to learn a lot of different aspects of the business.

Cons

The company communication channel could be a lot better organized. There is never enough time to replenish or recover the store properly and this is due to payroll being such an issue.

Payroll is what allows for the company to make money. If there aren't enough hours for there to be enough employees the stores will continue to be trashed, not replenished to it maximum and lacking in associates to ring and help customers shop.

The Children's Place Photos