The Children's Place

Updated 15 September, 2014
2.2

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 32 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 46 reviews)

• Floor set was a week long project with a window change that usually took three people to complete (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Too many tasks, not enough payroll to complete them.

Current Employee - Sales Lead  in  Saginaw, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Saginaw, MI (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time for more than a year

Pros

30% discount, even on top of sales and clearance.

Cons

There aren't enough hours to complete the tasks assigned.

We struggle with payroll weekly, we are currently so deep in stock that our backroom is almost impossible to walk though but we don't have the payroll to process it and we are continuously receiving 12-20 more boxes daily. The pay is not competitive with other stores, but the discounts are better. Though, if you don't have kids, the discount isn't a good enough perk to make up for the pay.

Ok place to work

Current Employee - Sales Lead  in  Pitts, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Pitts, PA (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Love the clothes, good quality. Employee discount is pretty nice. Associates work well with each other to accomplish goals.

Cons

Need to have more hours then they give for Back to School, Christmas, and floor sets. We don't have magic wands. Higher pay rate would be nice.

Stop having so many updates, especially around busy times. Things don't need to be moved 5 times in 2 weeks.

No work life

Current Employee - Merchandising Manager  in  Skokie, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Merchandising Manager in Skokie, IL (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for less than a year

Pros

money is ok, and customers aren't to bad

Cons

You have to do everything

none

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

unrealistic work life balance

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

$ - money its good but you cant really enjoy

Cons

12-14 hr days, feel shamed for taking lunch or days off

manage normal working hours & dont depend on people staying all night to get work done

They have a great Brand but

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than a year

Pros

The customers and their children are the best. The clothes are great quality

Cons

This company needs to get their act together, Floor sets are simple and well explained but the updates to the sets are overwhelming. You set the plan and they change it and then once you correct it they change it again. You have no payroll and you work 2 openers and 2 closers plus you must meet sales goals. Who has time to make all these crazy changes and they wonder why your customers services scores are low! They want all these tasks done but give you no support, oh we did get cookies one time and a note LMBO! Pretty lame!

Run as fast as you can this company talks about a Life Balance and give you great benefits but getting to use them is tough! Always to much to do and you can only use 5 days at a time! With permission!

Excellent business. Poor place to be employed.

Current Employee - Director  in  Secaucus, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Secaucus, NJ (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits are more favorable to the industry average. This includes health benefits, 401k, and time off. They are a leader in their specialty and have demonstrated the ability to stay there. There are very smart and hard working people running the company and at Director and Manager levels. Training employees is exceptional.

Cons

Where do I begin. Very difficult to be a happy employee. This is indicative up and down the organizational chain of commands. Walking on burning charcoal is a great example of the morale in this place. Very stressful and full of anxiety. For the past few years, upper management turnover has been very high and has caused excessive turnover at the mid level.

There is no sense of security at all and being ranked the "10th worst company to work for" by Huffington Post is being too generous. In reality, when the world sees it as bad, it's usually worse.

For the Children's Place, the phrase "Winning isn’t everything; it’s the only thing" needs to expand to "Winning isn’t everything; it’s the only thing at the expense of the #1 thing that makes or breaks companies. It's employees". It's time to stop covering the deep rooted insecurities and run the business. There is so much potential for our company and we should be looking back from a further distance.

Place more confidence in the people and let them think on their own. Creativity will come out and once again, this company will grow at the pace they should be growing at, not stagnate because stagnating keeps the stock at $50. It will be much easier to grow the business by taking care of the people who will bring you there.

Love/hate relationship with work

Current Employee - Sales Lead  in  Clarksville, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Clarksville, IN (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to work with great people and the discount is great if you have children. Great if you like a fast paced work environment.

Cons

Company (District Manager) doesn't care about employees would rather hire from outside or past employees that quit than give it to someone deserving and qualifying.
    I also find it very odd that store management (SSM) has no say over hiring/firing of lower management (ASM/leads)

Expect to be over worked and ignored for promotions.

Store sales Manager

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Vacation Pay of 22 days

Cons

You can never find a good time to take a vacation. I tried to schedule an island vacation twice and had to cancel due to a new store opening and shipments too heavy to leave my team. The shipment schedule states x amount of boxes a week for the month on the monthly workload calender, then you receive three times the shipment (160) boxes a day and your store is on 167 hours a week payroll, which is 2-2 coverage, but don't fall behind the store to floor process. There is never a good time to take a vacation and feel like you can step away without coming back to twice the workload waiting for you.

There is absolutely no reason to do a huge floor set only to update it exactly 3 days after pictures are posted for corp to review, then floor set 2 comes out. My customer hasn't had the chance to see the first one. We do window changes 3 times a week and have 1/2 hour to open the store and run reports, open registers, do LOD trackers and Place trackers and sign the event. We close down the store 15 min after we lock the door to try and pick up two additional hours for Saturdays schedule (so people can eat). We need more payroll to handle the work load.

Started out fun, but got worse over time. The company doesn't get it.

Current Employee - Sales Lead  in  Fargo, ND (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Fargo, ND (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Fun environment, friendly people
    -Have some freedom in some visual displays
    -Opportunities to grow within the store

Cons

-The company does not compensate employees for the workload they put on you.
    -Expectations from the company and district managers are completely unrealistic. They cut your hours but increase workload.
    -Was only part time but worked full time hours
    -Did the same work as the assistant managers but was paid much less
    -Constant sale sets, price changes, window changes, visual changes each week...sometimes multiple times per week

If you invest the money into your employees, you will reap the benefits. Employees will be happy, will work harder and your customers will be more satisfied with a fun environment.

Good Manager Starter Job.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Carlsbad, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Carlsbad, CA (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good discount, good benefits for full timers, depends on manager on balancing schedule but I had a good experience.
    its a fast paced environment so your delegation as a manager come to test. If you are the typer of manager that wants to sit and chill on the computer this is not the job for you. Energetic environment with right staff.

Cons

District Managers need to ACTUALLY train their managers, they are the ones representing the company.
    not enough hours given from corporate to develop their associates.
    very part time (except for holidays)

Worked for The Children's Place? Contribute to the Community!