The Children's Place

The Children's Place Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers

Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 32 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 46 reviews)

• Floor set was a week long project with a window change that usually took three people to complete (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

my review

Prosgreat people, great benefits and great opportunity

Consthere are none to speak of

There some Pros and Cons

Product Designer (Current Employee) Secaucus, NJ (US)

Pros- great benefits, including 30% employee's discount, free fruits, limo service, 401(K), medical, vision, and dental, overseas traveling expenses' reimbursement, etc.
    - great opportunity for recent college grads to gain necessary industry experience, including overseas work and travel

Cons- long hours
    - unpaid overtime and weekends
    - favoritism
    - poor evaluation system

Advice to Senior Managementneed to improve evaluation system
    manage better work-life balance

I have been with the company for over 5 years and am now a Sales Lead.

Sales Lead (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsThe people I work with are more like family to me vs coworkers. Our discount is 30% off which helps if you have children.

ConsThey don't give enough payroll to complete what they are asking of their employees. I feel like I work so hard and only get paid pennies. They only offer full time positions to store managers and assistant managers but require that you have open availability. The workload is always heavy and they always, ALWAYS send over updates to changes they originally put into place. They have no idea what is going on at the store level but wants every store to comply with every move, change, and /or request.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind out what each individual store is in need of from the district manager, stop generalizing stores based off another that doesn't compare in sales, payroll or merchandise. Bring back transfers!!!!! It will help us push what is selling at our location. Consider offering more full time positions to seasoned associates.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unrealistic expecations!

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat PTO and good Pay for Mgmt

ConsAs someone who loves a very busy, challenging atmosphere, the workload is ridiculous. You do not get the chance to appreciate the work you have accomplished because corporate changes it just before the moment its due and doesn't change the due date. You are running around 100% of the time to attempt to keep up only to be told that you need to be at the same time talking to every customer multiple times on 2 person coverage with 1 of those 2 people ringing out customers the whole time, leaving one person to the customers and all the workload, and security from all the theft... . I never even hear from my DM-and when I do he is worried about dust bunnies! Really?!

Advice to Senior ManagementGive us payroll!!!! It means-more product processed, neater organized stores, and customer service. All of which means more $ for you. Instead of cutting payroll...how about cutting some of the crazy benefits given at the corporate level-unlimited sick time Never have I heard of such a thing prior. The insane workload for 1 person to handle really is ridiculous. It leaves employees without that sense of accomplishment. Do not totally change a floorset that has been worked on and prepped on for a week +, just hours before it is due and tell us "it is still due at the normal time..oh and you have to be out of the store 30 mins after closing and before opening, so do not use any extra hours to get the work done".

Fast-Paced, Demanding Work with little to no recognition or acknowledgment from upper management - wage poor.

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe people, it is their passion and commitment that uphold the Co.

ConsNo room for advancement, Co. is reactive not proactive in all areas, no recognition unless its taken upon yourself, compensation poor if not forgotten.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop sieving money into unnecessary investments like the ridiculous weekly marketing changes that no one recognizes or appreciates - THAT JUST END UP IN THE TRASH! TRY RECYCLING SOMETHING! If you can manage to same a few dollars try to reinvest them in the associates, they have more than earned a raise or a pay increase something more than minimum wage - Burger King pays better than us!

blah

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY (US)

ProsBenefits for part time employees
    Typical retail job

ConsManagement under a lot of pressure and in turn associates are put under a lot of stress for very little pay

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement and Royalty are two different words.

Clueless upper management

Store Sales Manager (Former Employee)

ProsEmployee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance.

ConsSenior mgt (DM, RM, and up) does not have a clue as to what it really takes to run a store. Between floor sets, price changes, shipment, and training employees there will never be enough time given to any area of need. They took away all training hours but expect you to fully train all new associates, leads, ect. Any down time available is usually spent on shipment or trying to complete the visual updates that they give every week. You aren't able to keep good associates around because of lack of hours. The competition is there with more hours and better pay. During peak times associates are too busy with pos transactions at the service desk helping other customers check out while the merchandise is walking out the door. They always give the hope of extra hours for back to school or holiday times but never follow through. Therefore customers are not given the attention they are truly needed on the sales floor. They expect you to push too much on the customer at the time of check out. It looses the personal side of the interaction of the sale with the customer when you have 8 or more things you have to upsell to the customer before they leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your team and trust their decisions. Give back the training budget and hours for holiday. You'll gain it back with the merchandise that sells instead of it walking out the door unpaid.

Overall good - Just ridiculously high expectations.

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

Pros-Encouragement to move up
    -Ability to speak to your upper management (DM, RD, LPM) whenever needed; Open Door Policy even though they are not in the office

Cons-Recent budget cuts decrease the benefits for holiday pay
    -Overly high expectations with extremely limited hours. There is not enough time/payroll to help the customers and complete the floorsets, etc.

Store Level Is a Great Place to Work

Sales Lead (Current Employee)

Prosgood employee discount, managers have ability to works several aspects of the business, relaxed attitude when it comes to scheduling, usually open to new ideas based on what is best for each store, great promotions for customers, decent raises once a year, nice culture with other stores in district

Conspushy with credit cards, stingy with payroll which leads managers to spend a lot of customer service time dealing with visual merchandising, does not promote from within the company/lots of outside hiring

Great part time job.

ProsDiscount on children's clothes and flexible schedule..

ConsLow pay and set amount of hours that the store can use.

Worked for The Children's Place? Contribute to the Community!