The Children's Place Reviews

Updated 24 August, 2014

2.3

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 32 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 46 reviews)

• Floor set was a week long project with a window change that usually took three people to complete (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Terrible experience!!!

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Toronto, ON

I worked at The Children's Place full-time

Pros

great products
    good pay
    great vacation package

Cons

Wow worst company to work for!!! Over tasked with not enough payroll. This company does not believe in customer service!!! Hired as a manager who can think out side the box, unfortunely you are stuck inside the box. No say in how you should run the store, everything is by the book. If you want to be a soldier this is a company for you!!!

Better training. Listen to your managers!!! Stop spending payroll hrs on making sure the store is perfect when there is a corporate visit. In reality there is not enough payroll to get all the TASKS done and people at corporate need to see that. Spend more money on improving CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! High turnover. DMs and SM never last.

Stay away... stay very far away!

Former Employee - Stock Associate  in  Pickering, ON
    Former Employee - Stock Associate in Pickering, ON

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

The tasks do not require a lot of intelligence, so if you want a simple job I guess this is it. Also, the other employees were nice. But that doesn't really matter because talking to them is frowned upon.

If you like kids, you will really enjoy being on the sales floor. They really do say the cutest things!

Cons

When I was hired, I was told it was one of their best stores, and they would have nearly 40 hours per week of work for me to do. The store was being renovated and I helped out, and that was the only week I got 40 hours. For two weeks after that it was 20 hours (ok.. thats fine), then it became 10 hours. One week it became 5 hours (now i'm angry). But once they put the schedule up and I had 0 hours for the week, it was time to leave.

I was a very dependable, punctual, hard working stock employee and they walked all over me. I was always respectful and had a good positive attitude. That is until the week where I was only given 5 hours on the schedule for the week and expected to handle all of the shipments for the week with one other guy who also was given 5 hours. There was like 50+ boxes to unpack, and more on the way!

The way I was treated at this place really damaged my self-esteem. I don't know why.. I guess I just felt like I hit rock bottom there (and I did).

Other issues:
    - Small stock room, no space for employee lunches
    - The most bureaucratic company I have ever worked for. never-ending rules. You can really tell a lot of mothers are behind the company. I'm surprised I didn't get grounded at some point and sent to my room.

Be more aggressive in demanding the head office supplies you with appropriate amount of hours to run your store. As management, you are the only ones who can make these requests, and your poor tired complaints that head office is not giving you enough hours really don't matter to stock/sales employees who can't make that difference for you.

it started out great, then senior management changed and the company was negativly effected by it

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Toronto, ON

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

great if you have kids, the stores had great associates and instore was great

Cons

company made bad choices on hiring their regional director and this caused many managers to leave, which created a negative atmosphere amount the teams

listen to your people

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great for a part time job - anything else isn't worth it.

Current Employee - Stock Manager  in  Winnipeg, MB
    Current Employee - Stock Manager in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

* decent employee discount (although they've lowered it in the year to save themselves money)
    * always something to keep you busy

Cons

* higher management is a joke
    * they are lazy, overpaid, and downright useless (with an exception or two)
    * incompetence is overlooked and it seems the upper management (DSM etc) turns a blind eye as long as sales are happening
    * are strict about rules unless it effects them in a negative way -- and then the rules don't count
    * raises...if any at all, are a JOKE

If you respect your employees they will in turn respect you and want to do good for your store. If you sit around in the back and gossip all day, take an abundance of personal phone calls and never give positive praise then you will crash and burn.

Hard, but good first job

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

good hours
    nice people
    fun to be around children
    good first job; helped me get interviews and an even better job with stores that wouldn't give me the time of day without any experience in retail.

Cons

messy back-room
    no training
    takes 2 to 3 hours to clean up store after close
    lots if folding
    only got a half-an-hour break when working from 3pm-9pm(close); the problem is we end up staying after close cleaning for hours that by the time we actually stop working; i have worked enough hours for a 1 hour break, which we never seemed to get.

Managers were really nice, I got hired right on the spot even though I was going on vacation the next week (they gave me the time off) They were all friendly and helpful and I am very glad they were my first bosses.

Sales Associate

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

Great Place to work, good pay, flexible schedule with school, good discount

Cons

Working holidays, not much room to move up

Too many tasks, not enough payroll to complete them.

Current Employee - Sales Lead  in  Saginaw, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Saginaw, MI (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time for more than a year

Pros

30% discount, even on top of sales and clearance.

Cons

There aren't enough hours to complete the tasks assigned.

We struggle with payroll weekly, we are currently so deep in stock that our backroom is almost impossible to walk though but we don't have the payroll to process it and we are continuously receiving 12-20 more boxes daily. The pay is not competitive with other stores, but the discounts are better. Though, if you don't have kids, the discount isn't a good enough perk to make up for the pay.

Ok place to work

Current Employee - Sales Lead  in  Pitts, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Pitts, PA (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Love the clothes, good quality. Employee discount is pretty nice. Associates work well with each other to accomplish goals.

Cons

Need to have more hours then they give for Back to School, Christmas, and floor sets. We don't have magic wands. Higher pay rate would be nice.

Stop having so many updates, especially around busy times. Things don't need to be moved 5 times in 2 weeks.

Not a good job to have while in school.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Selma, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Selma, TX (US)

I worked at The Children's Place part-time for more than a year

Pros

It was a basic retail job. Holidays and peak seasons are busy which makes hours better.

Cons

The managers did not work well with my schedule. I informed them that I was a senior in high school and could only work weekends, and early evenings during the week, but that didn't stop them from having me scheduled late getting out of work after midnight.

Don't hire people if you don't want to work with their availability.

Store sales Manager

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Vacation Pay of 22 days

Cons

You can never find a good time to take a vacation. I tried to schedule an island vacation twice and had to cancel due to a new store opening and shipments too heavy to leave my team. The shipment schedule states x amount of boxes a week for the month on the monthly workload calender, then you receive three times the shipment (160) boxes a day and your store is on 167 hours a week payroll, which is 2-2 coverage, but don't fall behind the store to floor process. There is never a good time to take a vacation and feel like you can step away without coming back to twice the workload waiting for you.

There is absolutely no reason to do a huge floor set only to update it exactly 3 days after pictures are posted for corp to review, then floor set 2 comes out. My customer hasn't had the chance to see the first one. We do window changes 3 times a week and have 1/2 hour to open the store and run reports, open registers, do LOD trackers and Place trackers and sign the event. We close down the store 15 min after we lock the door to try and pick up two additional hours for Saturdays schedule (so people can eat). We need more payroll to handle the work load.

Worked for The Children's Place? Contribute to the Community!