The Children's Place

Updated 19 November, 2014
2.2

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 40 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 54 reviews)

• Need to have more hours then they give for Back to School, Christmas, and floor sets (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Not bad for a part time job.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Mississauga, ON
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Mississauga, ON

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly environment, easy, relaxing, good hours.

Cons

Management needs to be more organized.

Organize shifts better.

Pretty standard easy work as a sales associate.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you have a child in your life, you can purchase clothes for them at discounts. Especially if you are working in an outlet children's place location, clothes can be as cheap as $1.99 before any employee discounts!

Cons

Not challenging, very boring work. Very routine. Similar to other clothing stores, you have to handle rude customers, but you have an extra "fun" bonus of also having to deal with noisy children and public display of bad parenting.

Piece of trash company

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Montreal, QC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Montreal, QC

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you have kids, you get a discount of 25%, if you don't have kids then there is no benefit to you.

Cons

- Employees are overworked and underpaid, NOBODY aside of managers work full time. Nobody. They will hire A LOT of people and BARELY give any hours, even if you are making your budget. When I first started, was not bad, was getting 20 hours + per week, after Christmas, was about the same more or less, then coming into February I was seeing weeks of fives hours. Who the heck goes to work for FIVE hours a week?Oh and then management hired new people and gave them better hours than I.
    -Even if you work 9 or 10 hours a day, you are only allowed to half an hour break. This can get pretty exhausting when you're hitting 7K plus days with only 2 people at the cash, and only one person on the floor and since ONE person can't have their eyes in all the departments at once, you will be robbed and management will blame you for it.
    -Floor Sets change ALL THE TIME, making me embarrassed when I can't find something I want to show to a customer. It's confusing and honestly a waste of time to make so many floor-set/window changes...
    -Transactions are unbearable for the customer and embarrassing to me. You have to ask for their phone number e-mail address.. it can get pretty long... and it's IRRITATING every time a customer gets MAD AT ME for asking all this personal information, it's not my fault, what do you want me to do? If your email/phone number counts are low you get chewed out by the managers and they want you to be parasites and suck all the information out of the customers.
    -returns/exchanges with a + or - balance or the worst, not only do you have to pester them with their e-mail and phone number you also have to ask them their first name, last name, address, postal code, a piece of ID if you're giving them a store credit. The process is invasive and not only that, it's irritating for customers who have to wait in line for so long so I can ask these stupid
    questions.
    -The last assistant manager who was hired, was from outside the company and she turned out to be a total piece of trash, leaving work early, coming in late or just not showing up at all. They should hire within the company or promote people if they really want their store to work well
    -And yes, even with these tiny hour budgets, we're supposed to clear shipment boxes very quickly even when there is so much to do.
    -Even after all the bad hours, if you are on call, you wont know if you work until at least 2 hours before your shift and I have seen some people's schedules who have had 3 days on call at least, you wont be able to plan anything ahead of time.

Learn to care, understand, stop being TCP nazi and be caring. Hire from within the company and learn to make your associates happy.

Terrible experience!!!

I worked at The Children's Place full-time

Pros

great products
    good pay
    great vacation package

Cons

Wow worst company to work for!!! Over tasked with not enough payroll. This company does not believe in customer service!!! Hired as a manager who can think out side the box, unfortunely you are stuck inside the box. No say in how you should run the store, everything is by the book. If you want to be a soldier this is a company for you!!!

Better training. Listen to your managers!!! Stop spending payroll hrs on making sure the store is perfect when there is a corporate visit. In reality there is not enough payroll to get all the TASKS done and people at corporate need to see that. Spend more money on improving CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! High turnover. DMs and SM never last.

Stay away... stay very far away!

Former Employee - Stock Associate in Pickering, ON
    Former Employee - Stock Associate in Pickering, ON

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

The tasks do not require a lot of intelligence, so if you want a simple job I guess this is it. Also, the other employees were nice. But that doesn't really matter because talking to them is frowned upon.

If you like kids, you will really enjoy being on the sales floor. They really do say the cutest things!

Cons

When I was hired, I was told it was one of their best stores, and they would have nearly 40 hours per week of work for me to do. The store was being renovated and I helped out, and that was the only week I got 40 hours. For two weeks after that it was 20 hours (ok.. thats fine), then it became 10 hours. One week it became 5 hours (now i'm angry). But once they put the schedule up and I had 0 hours for the week, it was time to leave.

I was a very dependable, punctual, hard working stock employee and they walked all over me. I was always respectful and had a good positive attitude. That is until the week where I was only given 5 hours on the schedule for the week and expected to handle all of the shipments for the week with one other guy who also was given 5 hours. There was like 50+ boxes to unpack, and more on the way!

The way I was treated at this place really damaged my self-esteem. I don't know why.. I guess I just felt like I hit rock bottom there (and I did).

Other issues:
    - Small stock room, no space for employee lunches
    - The most bureaucratic company I have ever worked for. never-ending rules. You can really tell a lot of mothers are behind the company. I'm surprised I didn't get grounded at some point and sent to my room.

Be more aggressive in demanding the head office supplies you with appropriate amount of hours to run your store. As management, you are the only ones who can make these requests, and your poor tired complaints that head office is not giving you enough hours really don't matter to stock/sales employees who can't make that difference for you.

it started out great, then senior management changed and the company was negativly effected by it

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

great if you have kids, the stores had great associates and instore was great

Cons

company made bad choices on hiring their regional director and this caused many managers to leave, which created a negative atmosphere amount the teams

listen to your people

Great for a part time job - anything else isn't worth it.

Current Employee - Stock Manager in Winnipeg, MB
    Current Employee - Stock Manager in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

* decent employee discount (although they've lowered it in the year to save themselves money)
    * always something to keep you busy

Cons

* higher management is a joke
    * they are lazy, overpaid, and downright useless (with an exception or two)
    * incompetence is overlooked and it seems the upper management (DSM etc) turns a blind eye as long as sales are happening
    * are strict about rules unless it effects them in a negative way -- and then the rules don't count
    * raises...if any at all, are a JOKE

If you respect your employees they will in turn respect you and want to do good for your store. If you sit around in the back and gossip all day, take an abundance of personal phone calls and never give positive praise then you will crash and burn.

Hard, but good first job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

good hours
    nice people
    fun to be around children
    good first job; helped me get interviews and an even better job with stores that wouldn't give me the time of day without any experience in retail.

Cons

messy back-room
    no training
    takes 2 to 3 hours to clean up store after close
    lots if folding
    only got a half-an-hour break when working from 3pm-9pm(close); the problem is we end up staying after close cleaning for hours that by the time we actually stop working; i have worked enough hours for a 1 hour break, which we never seemed to get.

Managers were really nice, I got hired right on the spot even though I was going on vacation the next week (they gave me the time off) They were all friendly and helpful and I am very glad they were my first bosses.

Lots of work, rewarding growth and learning

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Constant development and feedback from district manager level. Ability to grow within the company. Ability to make decisions in merchandising on your own, you truly run your 4 walls. Good PTO policy.

Cons

Heavy workload around back to school, difficulty hiring at a low rate for associates

Allow us to hire a little higher, let us keep people longer. Need a training program.

Senior Software Engineer

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Secaucus, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Secaucus, NJ (US)

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- great benefits: paid time off, 401K, summer Fridays.

Cons

- it is a place that I'll recommend to a friend

The Children's Place Photos