The Children's Place

The Children's Place Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers

Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 32 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 46 reviews)

• Floor set was a week long project with a window change that usually took three people to complete (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Stay away... stay very far away!

Stock Associate (Former Employee) Pickering, ON

ProsThe tasks do not require a lot of intelligence, so if you want a simple job I guess this is it. Also, the other employees were nice. But that doesn't really matter because talking to them is frowned upon.

If you like kids, you will really enjoy being on the sales floor. They really do say the cutest things!

ConsWhen I was hired, I was told it was one of their best stores, and they would have nearly 40 hours per week of work for me to do. The store was being renovated and I helped out, and that was the only week I got 40 hours. For two weeks after that it was 20 hours (ok.. thats fine), then it became 10 hours. One week it became 5 hours (now i'm angry). But once they put the schedule up and I had 0 hours for the week, it was time to leave.

I was a very dependable, punctual, hard working stock employee and they walked all over me. I was always respectful and had a good positive attitude. That is until the week where I was only given 5 hours on the schedule for the week and expected to handle all of the shipments for the week with one other guy who also was given 5 hours. There was like 50+ boxes to unpack, and more on the way!

The way I was treated at this place really damaged my self-esteem. I don't know why.. I guess I just felt like I hit rock bottom there (and I did).

Other issues:
    - Small stock room, no space for employee lunches
    - The most bureaucratic company I have ever worked for. never-ending rules. You can really tell a lot of mothers are behind the company. I'm surprised I didn't get grounded at some point and sent to my room.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more aggressive in demanding the head office supplies you with appropriate amount of hours to run your store. As management, you are the only ones who can make these requests, and your poor tired complaints that head office is not giving you enough hours really don't matter to stock/sales employees who can't make that difference for you.

it started out great, then senior management changed and the company was negativly effected by it

Store Manager (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

Prosgreat if you have kids, the stores had great associates and instore was great

Conscompany made bad choices on hiring their regional director and this caused many managers to leave, which created a negative atmosphere amount the teams

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your people

Great for a part time job - anything else isn't worth it.

Stock Manager (Current Employee) Winnipeg, MB

Pros* decent employee discount (although they've lowered it in the year to save themselves money)
    * always something to keep you busy

Cons* higher management is a joke
    * they are lazy, overpaid, and downright useless (with an exception or two)
    * incompetence is overlooked and it seems the upper management (DSM etc) turns a blind eye as long as sales are happening
    * are strict about rules unless it effects them in a negative way -- and then the rules don't count
    * raises...if any at all, are a JOKE

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you respect your employees they will in turn respect you and want to do good for your store. If you sit around in the back and gossip all day, take an abundance of personal phone calls and never give positive praise then you will crash and burn.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hard, but good first job

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

Prosgood hours
    nice people
    fun to be around children
    good first job; helped me get interviews and an even better job with stores that wouldn't give me the time of day without any experience in retail.

Consmessy back-room
    no training
    takes 2 to 3 hours to clean up store after close
    lots if folding
    only got a half-an-hour break when working from 3pm-9pm(close); the problem is we end up staying after close cleaning for hours that by the time we actually stop working; i have worked enough hours for a 1 hour break, which we never seemed to get.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers were really nice, I got hired right on the spot even though I was going on vacation the next week (they gave me the time off) They were all friendly and helpful and I am very glad they were my first bosses.

Started out fun, but got worse over time. The company doesn't get it.

Sales Lead (Current Employee) Fargo, ND (US)

Pros-Fun environment, friendly people
    -Have some freedom in some visual displays
    -Opportunities to grow within the store

Cons-The company does not compensate employees for the workload they put on you.
    -Expectations from the company and district managers are completely unrealistic. They cut your hours but increase workload.
    -Was only part time but worked full time hours
    -Did the same work as the assistant managers but was paid much less
    -Constant sale sets, price changes, window changes, visual changes each week...sometimes multiple times per week

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you invest the money into your employees, you will reap the benefits. Employees will be happy, will work harder and your customers will be more satisfied with a fun environment.

Great job, I enjoyed my experience there.

Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsVery good discount if you have children in your life; co-workers and management were friendly; great environment for retail.

ConsThere weren't a lot of hours to be given, some weeks I wouldn't get any hours; management seemed a little passive at times to any issues that might have arisen.

Neutral

Sales Lead (Current Employee) Niles, OH (US)

ProsStore discount was great .

ConsMake sure you can handle a lot stress

Nice place to work

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Huntington Beach, CA (US)

ProsOpportunity for advancement and good employee discount. Flexible schedule, great for mothers and college students. Management cared for employees and were always listening to concerns.

ConsDemanding and constant changing of marketing, displays, and floorset with tough deadline expectations. Daily sales goals and somewhat pushy on customers having to apply for store credit card.

Corporate America

ProsThe people are friendly. The location being in NJ nice to be away from the busy city. Good benefits. Started the star awards to recognize people who deserves it.

ConsCommuting to NJ, in rush hour is not easy. Health benefits has decreased over the years. Difficult to move up within the company ladder so not much room for growth.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsReally good company to work for specially if you are a student. The hours are great and it is a fairly easy job.

ConsBecause it's a kids store be prepared to be cleaning every 5 minutes and stuffing credit cards down the parents throat.

Worked for The Children's Place? Contribute to the Community!