The Children's Place

The Children's Place Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers

Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 32 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 46 reviews)

• Floor set was a week long project with a window change that usually took three people to complete (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Open, friendly place for work

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Scarborough, ON

ProsThe management is friendly, engaging, and always thinking of ways to improve. They are helpful, easy to approach and talk to, and ready to help both the customer as well as their employees. Schedules are flexible, and managers are accommodating and very fair and understanding.

ConsHours are inconsistent. It is difficult to determine a stable or consistent paycheque, as you could work an abundance of hours during the holidays but then drop to only a few in a week immediately after.

I did not like working here

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Scarborough, ON

Prosfun environment, alot of kids, busy, and interactive

Consvery low working hours at least at the scaborough town centre location (Toronto, Canada), I worked there for two days until I found a better job and they never paid me. I contacted my manager, HR, and payroll and they said they will fix it "as soon as possible" which is ridiculous if you ask me. Also its long hours on your feet and large work load. They hired alot of employees and only gav each sale associate 3 hour shifts.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate payroll and make it more organized, give employees more working hours and relieve the workload

Aweful company.

District Manager (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsThere are none ! .. Zero , zip , nada.

ConsRead all the bad reviews ... They are all true. The ones that are descent just haven't been there long enough or are just have not experienced anything else.

Advice to Senior ManagementClearly the Executives know nothing about building a successful business ... It's about building relationships , not disrespecting people. , mass producing clothes that are carried over year after year .. That's why the clothing is less than appealing and cheaply made ... And why they can afford to sell things for 1.99. !! Highest GM is made on that clearance crap ... Terrible company , no integrity ... Or company ethics

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

District manager

District Manager (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC

ProsGreat working with the non executive team

ConsWorst leadership....zero job security....Poor communication within the team

Take, take and more take.

ASM (Current Employee)

ProsTalking to polite customers and the satisfaction I get from helping them. Nothing about this company. Your discount isn't even good when you realize how much this company pays for the slave clothes from Bangladesh. They still make money off of you.

ConsI am a asm at a location in North Am. I am paid LESS than some of our keyholder wages. I cannot say anything because taking about wage is reason for dismissal. Bringing home an average 720 dollar pay after taxes I am NO longer allowed 2 days off in a row. I am expected to bend over backwards and meet unrealistic expectations with nothing in return. Actually we do quite well for our store but ONE bad day with conversion and you can expect your dm to call...blame you for everything and then not let you say a word. Here's an idea...A thank you every now and then would be great. Throw some incentives out. Negativity all the time makes me want to STOP all my extra efforts. This company is cheap. You're busting your butt to make the head execs richer.They made me quit my second job because apparently I need 100 percent availability while only receiving 33-35 hours a week. Every part-time person I work with is miserable and hates the company. My manager often cries because our dm lacks any humanity from being brain washed by this terrible company.

Advice to Senior ManagementDm needs to stop being so mean. Mesh bags don't solve everything and sometimes it is out of our control.
    Don't expect the world when you underpay your management like you did to me. Finding out 2 other part time employees make more than me really puts the icing on the cake.
    Stop talking about being positive on conference calls but then only being negative to us. It's hypocritical and makes for a NEGATIVE selling day.

Worst job ever!

Store Manager (Former Employee) Vaughan, ON

ProsThere are none that I could see

ConsUnorganized and no direction given. Won't let a plan work before they decide it won't work to make store productive.

Was a good experience.

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsWorking with children and moms was the best part of the job, and the employe discount.

ConsThe general manager was a big looser . He did not see the good things and did not care if the store was clean or not.

Vaughan Mills Cashier and Sales Associate

ProsFun people to work with, fast pace environment since its supposedly the biggest tcp in north america. I like the fact that shifts go by quickly and theres always something to do.

ConsRude customers, too many expectations from managers, and no employee appreciation. Employees constantly feel blamed for things they were unaware of. Being on cash all day messes with your head.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers should look to guide and coach their employees rather than blame them constantly.

A children's store that doesn't really care about it's employees families

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Nanaimo, BC

ProsDiscount on children's clothing. I can't think of too many more positives...I met some great people that worked for me.

ConsConstantly being expected to perform without compensation equivalent to experience or position. Expected to bend over backwards for a company that doesn't do the same for you. Should be give and take, but is just take, take, take. Smaller mall store mentality so little room for advancement as the store managers are generally not wanting to go anywhere....and will put you down if they feel you are doing your job too well.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrive to improve stores morale and increase sales. Sometimes a store that is striving to meet mediocrity needs a change. Care for your people...as they are people and have lives outside of work.

DO NOT WORK HERE.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsMy team was amazing, and despite the horrible work experience we were able to have a good time.

There is no dress code, which is nice because I didn't have to buy a whole new wardrobe to work here.

ConsWhere do I begin? I worked at TCP for just over a year before finding something else and quitting.

To start off, training was a joke. For someone who had never worked in retail before, training with a little handbook and then being expected to work based on that was unacceptable. It wasn't my manager's fault however. She was acting as Manager, after the previous Manager had quit. She was also promoted to Manager without adequate training, which backfired for her when she was more or less pushed out of the company by the DM.

My store was INCREDIBLY understaffed, all because the company had underestimated the sales for that particular store. We were unable to have more than two-three staff working during weekdays, and three-four on weekends. A handful people were expected to run the store, which included floorset, shipments, AND sales. As you can imagine, hours were a joke. I worked 9.5 hours a week regularly at minimum wage ($10.25/hour). The only times I picked up extra hours were during the Christmas shopping season.

The final straw for me was when we got "raises" of 26 cents about two and and a half months before I quit. We signed the forms for the performance reviews, and our new manager sent them on their way. The company was supposed to apply the raise two weeks after the review was sent in, but for some reason they didn't do so. When they finally applied the raise (two MONTHS after they were supposed to), they also released a statement saying they were not backpaying anyone in the store, despite the fact that the accounting error was on their end, and not ours.

Then there was the issue of how quickly they moved through seasons. We were selling spring clothing on Boxing Day for crying out loud. Regardless of the customer complaints, TCP didn't change. We lost a large amount of money on sales because we were out of clothes for that particular season. Which brings us back to the issue of understaffing ... they justified cutting our hours because we lost sales due to their mistakes.

AND THEN there was the issue of the store not being properly maintained. We were Toronto's first standalone store, and therefore had to have proper heating/AC so we could survive the elements. They didn't, of course. So in winter we had to wear scarves and gloves because the draft was so bad. And in summer we had to take breaks in the back or we would pass out from heatstroke.

Another thing that really frustrated me is the fact that TCP uses factories with unsafe working conditions to make children's clothing. Now I understand that this is a business saving move, but still. When the factory in Bangladesh collapsed in 2013 (Google it if you are unaware of the story), TCP revealed that they use that factory regularly, and they were currently investigating if any of their clothes were being made there at the time. Of course, TCP also sent out a letter letting us know that if we ever spoke about this, gave our personal opinion on the topic, or shared this information with anyone, we could be fired and penalized. Can't fire me now, TCP.

All in all, the company is great for customers. For employees ... not so much. If you're looking for a job that will fill time while you're in school, or between jobs, this is it. If you have a great time like I did, you'll survive.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. You may know the business side of things, but the frontline employees know what works. Aren't making sales? Ask us what needs to change. And when your employees work hard and deserve something like a 26 cent raise, maybe you should give it to them as soon as possible. If I was interested, I could have moved up with the company, and if this was a good company to work for, I would have stayed on as a Store Lead. But I would NEVER consider it, because I was incredibly unhappy here. I am not the only one who felt this way either.

Worked for The Children's Place? Contribute to the Community!