The Children's Place Reviews

668 reviews filtered by
2.3
The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 40 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 58 reviews)

• Top managment would make last minute decisions and we would have to stay late to redo floor sets (in 33 reviews)

1. All friendly co-workers makes your working environment feels like home

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is friendly and it is a harmony place to work at. Always see adorable children around.

Cons

Could be challenging explaining certain strict rules that company has to customers that we can make no exceptional case for situations.

2. Unorganized

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Edmonton, AB
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Sometimes we have potlucks ran/organized by sale associates for the half hour break.
    Friendly co-workers

Cons

Aggressive tactics you must ALWAYS get the costumers email and phone # . To make sure this happening they give you email capture sheet where you fill out the transaction # and whether or not you got the email. If you are below 80% you are blamed for it by your manager,because your manager was most likely blamed for it by DM.

Its terrible when you ask for all this personal info and you get angry costumers

The clothing itself is not good quality, even with the email discounts.

Upper Management , not making a allowance for more people to work when need it.

Rude customers

Too many expectations from managers.

Being on cash all day messes with your head.

Noisy kids who ( If you can handle it)

Not know where everything is, because set changes/signage change regularly.

You don't get commission, and your paid very little.

My SM isn't really qualified, is not good at organizing people or people in general.

Advice to Management

Bring a proper training program for new hires, be a little flexible. Do not play the blame game on your store managers, or sale associates. Keep track on those you hire in managers positions, and encourage/nurture them so they can be more productive.

3. Work load unrealistic

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Stoney Creek, ON
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Stoney Creek, ON

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- loved dealing with customers, especially return ones
    - loved my staff members
    - decent discount

Cons

- ridiculous workload with unrealistic timelines
    - no appreciation from upper management on going above and beyond on tasks
    - upper management is too easy to place blame on stores under their direction instead of helping them in order to cover their own butt
    - zero payroll allowance to accomplish what is needed or for floor coverage

Advice to Management

INVEST in your stores and employees so that you can have some longevity in your staff.
    APPRECIATE what your managers do
    LISTEN and ACT on the suggestion and concerns coming from your employees

5. It made me hate retail.

Current Employee - Cashier-Sales Associate in Thornhill, ON
    Current Employee - Cashier-Sales Associate in Thornhill, ON

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked with friends, so it was a fun time. Other than that... no pros.

Cons

Bad management, low wage, and no structure.

Advice to Management

Get organized and setup a structure.

Nightmare

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only reason I stayed for so long was because my friends wrkd there

Cons

Management was awful, spent most of the time eating and talking in the back just watching us from the security cameras and that was when we finally DID have management since we went around without one for around 3 months. Salary was a joke, I was working full time hours as a part time worker and we never got raises. never got trained and just working there was depressing in general, being surrounded by screaming kids and angry parents all the time having things thrown at you. Rarely ever got to take breaks except for your lunch break and if you happened to miss your scheduled time then you have to fine someone to take your post others wise no lunch for you. Even just going to the bathroom you'd get radioed trying to find where you are and why your not on the floor selling

7. Tough job if you're working at an outlet

Current Employee - Cashier-Sales Associate in Vaughan, ON
    Current Employee - Cashier-Sales Associate in Vaughan, ON

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The coworkers become like family and you meet some nice people. If you're productive you will receive a decent amount of hours if you work at a larger location like I did (Vaughan Mills).

Cons

After working there for two years I still get paid minimum wage, which is kind of unfair considering with all the experience I have I get paid the same as new employees who don't know anything. Vaughan mills is a horrible location to work at. Rude customers, mostly parents who want everything their way and do not want to follow the store's policy. Not a place to work if you dont like loud atmospheres with kids running around and getting themselves into trouble. Nothing to really be promoted to unless if you want to become a manager. Its a tough job which has caused me severe shoulder pain because of fast repetitive motions. A lot of silly rules that apply to associates but not managers....

Advice to Management

Hire more staff so that current associates do not have to bust their butts as if they are working in a factory. Seniority should be factored into wages. Have rotating shifts so that everyone can work as a cashier and sales associate. Associates should rotate between the two jobs as being a cashier is much more difficult and mind numbing, where as sales associates are more focused on cleaning. If associates could rotate between cash and the floor they would be happier and wouldn't have severe shoulder and back pains like myself and many more people that I know of.

8. I did not like working here

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Scarborough, ON

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

fun environment, alot of kids, busy, and interactive

Cons

very low working hours at least at the scaborough town centre location (Toronto, Canada), I worked there for two days until I found a better job and they never paid me. I contacted my manager, HR, and payroll and they said they will fix it "as soon as possible" which is ridiculous if you ask me. Also its long hours on your feet and large work load. They hired alot of employees and only gav each sale associate 3 hour shifts.

Advice to Management

Update payroll and make it more organized, give employees more working hours and relieve the workload

9. Open, friendly place for work

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Scarborough, ON

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The management is friendly, engaging, and always thinking of ways to improve. They are helpful, easy to approach and talk to, and ready to help both the customer as well as their employees. Schedules are flexible, and managers are accommodating and very fair and understanding.

Cons

Hours are inconsistent. It is difficult to determine a stable or consistent paycheque, as you could work an abundance of hours during the holidays but then drop to only a few in a week immediately after.

Aweful company.

Former Employee - District Manager in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - District Manager in Toronto, ON

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

There are none ! .. Zero , zip , nada.

Cons

Read all the bad reviews ... They are all true. The ones that are descent just haven't been there long enough or are just have not experienced anything else.

Advice to Management

Clearly the Executives know nothing about building a successful business ... It's about building relationships , not disrespecting people. , mass producing clothes that are carried over year after year .. That's why the clothing is less than appealing and cheaply made ... And why they can afford to sell things for 1.99. !! Highest GM is made on that clearance crap ... Terrible company , no integrity ... Or company ethics

District manager

Former Employee - District Manager in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - District Manager in Vancouver, BC

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great working with the non executive team

Cons

Worst leadership....zero job security....Poor communication within the team

The Children's Place Photos