The Children's Place

Updated 19 September, 2014
2.2

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 32 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 46 reviews)

• Floor set was a week long project with a window change that usually took three people to complete (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Open, friendly place for work

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Scarborough, ON
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Scarborough, ON

I worked at The Children's Place part-time for less than a year

Pros

The management is friendly, engaging, and always thinking of ways to improve. They are helpful, easy to approach and talk to, and ready to help both the customer as well as their employees. Schedules are flexible, and managers are accommodating and very fair and understanding.

Cons

Hours are inconsistent. It is difficult to determine a stable or consistent paycheque, as you could work an abundance of hours during the holidays but then drop to only a few in a week immediately after.

Nightmare

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at The Children's Place part-time for more than a year

Pros

The only reason I stayed for so long was because my friends wrkd there

Cons

Management was awful, spent most of the time eating and talking in the back just watching us from the security cameras and that was when we finally DID have management since we went around without one for around 3 months. Salary was a joke, I was working full time hours as a part time worker and we never got raises. never got trained and just working there was depressing in general, being surrounded by screaming kids and angry parents all the time having things thrown at you. Rarely ever got to take breaks except for your lunch break and if you happened to miss your scheduled time then you have to fine someone to take your post others wise no lunch for you. Even just going to the bathroom you'd get radioed trying to find where you are and why your not on the floor selling

Tough job if you're working at an outlet

Current Employee - Cashier-Sales Associate  in  Vaughan, ON
    Current Employee - Cashier-Sales Associate in Vaughan, ON

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time for more than a year

Pros

The coworkers become like family and you meet some nice people. If you're productive you will receive a decent amount of hours if you work at a larger location like I did (Vaughan Mills).

Cons

After working there for two years I still get paid minimum wage, which is kind of unfair considering with all the experience I have I get paid the same as new employees who don't know anything. Vaughan mills is a horrible location to work at. Rude customers, mostly parents who want everything their way and do not want to follow the store's policy. Not a place to work if you dont like loud atmospheres with kids running around and getting themselves into trouble. Nothing to really be promoted to unless if you want to become a manager. Its a tough job which has caused me severe shoulder pain because of fast repetitive motions. A lot of silly rules that apply to associates but not managers....

Hire more staff so that current associates do not have to bust their butts as if they are working in a factory. Seniority should be factored into wages. Have rotating shifts so that everyone can work as a cashier and sales associate. Associates should rotate between the two jobs as being a cashier is much more difficult and mind numbing, where as sales associates are more focused on cleaning. If associates could rotate between cash and the floor they would be happier and wouldn't have severe shoulder and back pains like myself and many more people that I know of.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I did not like working here

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Scarborough, ON
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Scarborough, ON

I worked at The Children's Place part-time for less than a year

Pros

fun environment, alot of kids, busy, and interactive

Cons

very low working hours at least at the scaborough town centre location (Toronto, Canada), I worked there for two days until I found a better job and they never paid me. I contacted my manager, HR, and payroll and they said they will fix it "as soon as possible" which is ridiculous if you ask me. Also its long hours on your feet and large work load. They hired alot of employees and only gav each sale associate 3 hour shifts.

Update payroll and make it more organized, give employees more working hours and relieve the workload

Aweful company.

Former Employee - District Manager  in  Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - District Manager in Toronto, ON

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

There are none ! .. Zero , zip , nada.

Cons

Read all the bad reviews ... They are all true. The ones that are descent just haven't been there long enough or are just have not experienced anything else.

Clearly the Executives know nothing about building a successful business ... It's about building relationships , not disrespecting people. , mass producing clothes that are carried over year after year .. That's why the clothing is less than appealing and cheaply made ... And why they can afford to sell things for 1.99. !! Highest GM is made on that clearance crap ... Terrible company , no integrity ... Or company ethics

District manager

Former Employee - District Manager  in  Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - District Manager in Vancouver, BC

I worked at The Children's Place full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great working with the non executive team

Cons

Worst leadership....zero job security....Poor communication within the team

Take, take and more take.

Current Employee - ASM
    Current Employee - ASM

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for less than a year

Pros

Talking to polite customers and the satisfaction I get from helping them. Nothing about this company. Your discount isn't even good when you realize how much this company pays for the slave clothes from Bangladesh. They still make money off of you.

Cons

I am a asm at a location in North Am. I am paid LESS than some of our keyholder wages. I cannot say anything because taking about wage is reason for dismissal. Bringing home an average 720 dollar pay after taxes I am NO longer allowed 2 days off in a row. I am expected to bend over backwards and meet unrealistic expectations with nothing in return. Actually we do quite well for our store but ONE bad day with conversion and you can expect your dm to call...blame you for everything and then not let you say a word. Here's an idea...A thank you every now and then would be great. Throw some incentives out. Negativity all the time makes me want to STOP all my extra efforts. This company is cheap. You're busting your butt to make the head execs richer.They made me quit my second job because apparently I need 100 percent availability while only receiving 33-35 hours a week. Every part-time person I work with is miserable and hates the company. My manager often cries because our dm lacks any humanity from being brain washed by this terrible company.

Dm needs to stop being so mean. Mesh bags don't solve everything and sometimes it is out of our control.
    Don't expect the world when you underpay your management like you did to me. Finding out 2 other part time employees make more than me really puts the icing on the cake.
    Stop talking about being positive on conference calls but then only being negative to us. It's hypocritical and makes for a NEGATIVE selling day.

Was a good experience.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at The Children's Place full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working with children and moms was the best part of the job, and the employe discount.

Cons

The general manager was a big looser . He did not see the good things and did not care if the store was clean or not.

Worst job ever!

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Vaughan, ON
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Vaughan, ON

I worked at The Children's Place full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are none that I could see

Cons

Unorganized and no direction given. Won't let a plan work before they decide it won't work to make store productive.

Vaughan Mills Cashier and Sales Associate

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time

Pros

Fun people to work with, fast pace environment since its supposedly the biggest tcp in north america. I like the fact that shifts go by quickly and theres always something to do.

Cons

Rude customers, too many expectations from managers, and no employee appreciation. Employees constantly feel blamed for things they were unaware of. Being on cash all day messes with your head.

Managers should look to guide and coach their employees rather than blame them constantly.

Worked for The Children's Place? Contribute to the Community!