The Children's Place

The Children's Place Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers

Jane Elfers

Pros:
  • "A higher than most employee discount, 30% off even on clearance items"
    in 27 reviews
  • "Great discount off anything on-top of sales going on"
    in 22 reviews
Cons:
  • "Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired"
    in 39 reviews
  • "They should have a better system so you don't have to get a last minute babysitter"
    in 19 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

great

Moreno Valley, CA (US)

I worked at The Children's Place part-time for more than a year

Prosflexible hours, discount perks are good

Conspersonal growth isn't very great, hours are iffy at times.

Advice to Senior Managementshow more value to your employees, allow for more personal growth

Loved the product

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at The Children's Place

ProsGood money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes! If you are a member of the part time staff, this is a great job. If you have kids, they will be dressed well for a great price!

ConsNo payroll given to accomplish all you have to do in a day. Managers are salaried, so they are free labor. I love the product, customers but missed my family!

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are a member of management, make sure you have a strong core staff that is not afraid to work hard. There is a lot to do and no hours to do it on, so your staff needs to be quick, efficient and be able to multitask!

Good first job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at The Children's Place part-time

ProsOpportunity for advancements, easy job, manager will work around your schedule

ConsBusy work, once the manager learns what you are really good at, you will only ever do that

Some days are better than others

Cashier-Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Madison, WI (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time for less than a year

ProsI like the discount.
Nice coworkers.
Easy.

ConsTraining is pretty bad. They teach you a few of the basics and then toss you to the sharks.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to have a better training program. Even new managers don't know what they are doing.

It was a refreshing, very educational and helpful experience to have at the beginning of a career.

I worked at The Children's Place

ProsVery structured company that provides the right tools for their new employees to learn and develop on the retail industry.

ConsThe dynamics of the teams are essential; if the team working in your store is pulling in different directions. In terms of the business the merchandise tends to be repetitive and which makes the customer second guess purchases.

seasonal sales associate

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time

ProsGood job environment friendly co workers

ConsThere are just a few hours per week

If you like retail you will like this. Overall, I love my job.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time for more than a year

ProsEmployee discount is great. Managers are there to help you learn if you want to and see the potential in everyone.

ConsThe company expects a lot out of you but doesn't want to give you the hours to do it. Pay also sucks. Employees pretty much train new leads and managers that come in from other retail stores and don't get paid any extra. Not a good job if this is your main income.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more money for employees that go above and beyond there duties. You can also do some of the dirty work and not leave it to everyone else.

Customer Service Rep.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at The Children's Place part-time for less than a year

ProsI like the fast past environment. I liked the product line the company has,the clothes are bright and of good quality. The clothes and accessories are fun to match up for the customers.

ConsNot enough hours to fulfill my needs as a single parent. I spoke to management about increasing hours but was never able too.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to be more honest and open about information.

Worst job ever!

Howell, MI (US)

I worked at The Children's Place part-time for less than a year

ProsThe pros were that most of the job is task oriented so there was always something to do to make the time fly.

ConsI worked at an outlet store and went into an already really bad management situation. There wasn't a place to take a break so I had to practically sit on the floor in order to be able to sit and wasn't allowed to leave the building at all, not even for lunch because 1 person can't be left in the store alone for safety issues. Schedules were never out until 2 days prior to the next work week, can't schedule your life with that.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers should be people who truly know how to manage people, that's what your title is. Please understand that people have lives and cannot schedule their lives only 2 days out. Try not to hire people just because you know them outside of the work.

No Hours

Oshkosh, WI (US)

I worked at The Children's Place part-time for less than a year

ProsCute kids come in, and it's rare that you get customers hitting on you

ConsI was only paid minimum wage but expected to work like a dog. I only got 4 hours a week on average due to the management overhiring. There was absolutely no training given to me and I had to figure out every task for myself while only working with 1-2 others who were often "on break" or in the backroom doing who knows what. I was never allotted a break even on the occasional 6 hour shift. It was only a temporary position that was supposed to last 12 weeks whereas I was only given 4. I was also routinely yelled at for clocking in 2 minutes early yet expected to start working as soon as I arrived(10-15min early for a shift).

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't bother hiring so many employees if you can't give them any hours. Also focus more on training and less on pushing rewards and store credit cards that don't actually give any discount.

Worked for The Children's Place? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Children's Place reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for The Children's Place CEO Jane Elfers. All 390 reviews are posted anonymously by The Children's Place employees.