The Children's Place

The Children's Place Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers

Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance(in 31 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes(in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired(in 45 reviews)

• Floor set was a week long project with a window change that usually took three people to complete(in 27 reviews)

it started out great, then senior management changed and the company was negativly effected by it

Store Manager (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

Prosgreat if you have kids, the stores had great associates and instore was great

Conscompany made bad choices on hiring their regional director and this caused many managers to leave, which created a negative atmosphere amount the teams

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your people

Great for a part time job - anything else isn't worth it.

Stock Manager (Current Employee) Winnipeg, MB

Pros* decent employee discount (although they've lowered it in the year to save themselves money)
    * always something to keep you busy

Cons* higher management is a joke
    * they are lazy, overpaid, and downright useless (with an exception or two)
    * incompetence is overlooked and it seems the upper management (DSM etc) turns a blind eye as long as sales are happening
    * are strict about rules unless it effects them in a negative way -- and then the rules don't count
    * raises...if any at all, are a JOKE

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you respect your employees they will in turn respect you and want to do good for your store. If you sit around in the back and gossip all day, take an abundance of personal phone calls and never give positive praise then you will crash and burn.

Hard, but good first job

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

Prosgood hours
    nice people
    fun to be around children
    good first job; helped me get interviews and an even better job with stores that wouldn't give me the time of day without any experience in retail.

Consmessy back-room
    no training
    takes 2 to 3 hours to clean up store after close
    lots if folding
    only got a half-an-hour break when working from 3pm-9pm(close); the problem is we end up staying after close cleaning for hours that by the time we actually stop working; i have worked enough hours for a 1 hour break, which we never seemed to get.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers were really nice, I got hired right on the spot even though I was going on vacation the next week (they gave me the time off) They were all friendly and helpful and I am very glad they were my first bosses.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Corporate America

ProsThe people are friendly. The location being in NJ nice to be away from the busy city. Good benefits. Started the star awards to recognize people who deserves it.

ConsCommuting to NJ, in rush hour is not easy. Health benefits has decreased over the years. Difficult to move up within the company ladder so not much room for growth.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

my review

Prosgreat people, great benefits and great opportunity

Consthere are none to speak of

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsReally good company to work for specially if you are a student. The hours are great and it is a fairly easy job.

ConsBecause it's a kids store be prepared to be cleaning every 5 minutes and stuffing credit cards down the parents throat.

There some Pros and Cons

Product Designer (Current Employee) Secaucus, NJ (US)

Pros- great benefits, including 30% employee's discount, free fruits, limo service, 401(K), medical, vision, and dental, overseas traveling expenses' reimbursement, etc.
    - great opportunity for recent college grads to gain necessary industry experience, including overseas work and travel

Cons- long hours
    - unpaid overtime and weekends
    - favoritism
    - poor evaluation system

Advice to Senior Managementneed to improve evaluation system
    manage better work-life balance

Overall good - Just ridiculously high expectations.

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

Pros-Encouragement to move up
    -Ability to speak to your upper management (DM, RD, LPM) whenever needed; Open Door Policy even though they are not in the office

Cons-Recent budget cuts decrease the benefits for holiday pay
    -Overly high expectations with extremely limited hours. There is not enough time/payroll to help the customers and complete the floorsets, etc.

Store Level Is a Great Place to Work

Sales Lead (Current Employee)

Prosgood employee discount, managers have ability to works several aspects of the business, relaxed attitude when it comes to scheduling, usually open to new ideas based on what is best for each store, great promotions for customers, decent raises once a year, nice culture with other stores in district

Conspushy with credit cards, stingy with payroll which leads managers to spend a lot of customer service time dealing with visual merchandising, does not promote from within the company/lots of outside hiring

blah

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY (US)

ProsBenefits for part time employees
    Typical retail job

ConsManagement under a lot of pressure and in turn associates are put under a lot of stress for very little pay

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement and Royalty are two different words.

Worked for The Children's Place? Contribute to the Community!