Texas Instruments Reviews

3.7
1,188 Reviews

Texas Instruments Chairman, President, and CEO Rich Templeton
Rich Templeton

Pros
  • Exceptional opportunities for career advancement, as well as a great work-life balance (in 127 reviews)

• Supportive work environment: Mentors and teammates are very friendly and ready to help (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is difficult to have when the job demands are more than the people to complete the job (in 38 reviews)

• Upper management seems to be reserved for Marketing/Sales folks (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work at as long as you have your head on your shoulders

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Texas Instruments full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Generally friendly colleagues; easy going yet hard working environment; very good products.

Cons

No significant opportunities for advancement or lateral moves, unless at the larger US sites; processes rather ad hoc; some office politics to deal with.

You can't keep doing things the same way yet expect different results: invest in improving processes and in infrastructure.

Site had small company atmosphere at beginning, but has changed over the years.

Current Employee - Senior Software Systems Engineer in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Senior Software Systems Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Texas Instruments full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Different challenges to work on. Get to know hardware while implementing software analysis tools.

Cons

Working with others at remote sites can be challenging at some times, but interesting and a good challenge at others.

Make technical ladder performance-based, rather than peer-election based. It's implemented too much like a "you're in-the-club" system.

Good Place to cut your teeth...

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Texas Instruments full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent training program for student hires, promotional opportunities in early years, competitive pay, opportunities for meaty jobs very quickly

Cons

No real value placed on experience, promotions based on potential as opposed to actual results

It is great to have young energetic people infused into the orgnaisation, but it should be tempered with actual accomplishments. This will help with management credibility with any senior individual contributors.

Texas Instruments is a good employer overall, they are

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Texas Instruments

Pros

Diversity of product lines, ethics, compensation

Cons

Technical comptency of engineers and middle managment. Ability to execute. Systems skills and selling needs significant improvment

Need to promote the technical knowledge and competency of engineers and product line managers in systems related issues and software skills. Constant change in the organization is affecting employee motivation

Solid Company

Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Texas Instruments full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Constantly adapting, relatively horizontal, lots of very knowledgeable and humble people

Cons

a bit conservative but understandably, some groups are a bit less lenient than others

Satisfied

Current Employee - Supply Chain Intern in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Intern in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Texas Instruments as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good and Friendly colleagues, Pay is okay, You will get regional visibility Singapore being a regional logistics hub

Cons

Location, Job becomes monotonous after a point of time.

Internship review

Current Employee - Verification Engineer in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Verification Engineer in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Texas Instruments as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great people and some pretty cool projects, the HR department does a decent job of matching your skills to available positions, so the job was mutually benefitcial.

Cons

From what I saw, promotions are hard to come by. I saw a few people that had been doing the same thing for 20+ years with very few people under them. Also, in my BU the people did not seemed determined to move up in the company.

IT Intern

Former Employee - IT Intern in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - IT Intern in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Texas Instruments as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very easy going environment. Time off was based on how long you've worked there. Pretty good pay and relocation help. Lots of employees who have stayed in the business for 20+ years. Gym on campus for employees, cafeterias were spread out. The intern program was awesome and had a lot of events to meet other interns within the company.

Cons

As an intern, the learning process was tough when it came to understanding the company, the different parts of the company, etc. Some might say the compensation/benefits aren't as good as other places.

Texas Instruments Response

Oct 23, 2014Worldwide Recruiting Leader

Thank you for posting! We appreciate you taking the time to share your great feedback and hope you had a fulfilling intern experience!

A good company that if they would choose, could be the best.

Current Employee - Electrical Design Engineer in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Electrical Design Engineer in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Texas Instruments full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

In the best of times, it can be exciting and fun. If you are an engineer you can be challenged if you want with many different groups to be a part of. Pay is typical but less than what you may get in Silicon Valley. If you like to travel, you can often do that too! Your experience will vary with each group... Some are better than others. Benefits are very very good and more than fair. The company has been very good to me. I hesitantly would recommend it....But

Cons

Once you hit 50 years old, watch out. TI is well known for kicking older workers to the curb. How they are able to do this systematically is beyond me...well maybe not. They simply pay off each individual with take it or leave it "packages" where you promise not to tell. Secondly, they use the H1B visa workers like crack. This is mostly to keep pay down I suppose. These are harsh comments but it's well known in the industry.

Stop letting HR run the show. They often promote based on race or gender and it is obvious to many of us. Promote the best, with blinders on. Stop shoving the diversity junk down our throats. Again, promote and hire the best with blinders. Stop choosing "Golden Boys", kids with no real accomplishments for top positions. It will be your downfall.

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Texas Instruments as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Texas Instruments is a great place to work. The members of the team that I was part of were very friendly and helpful.

Cons

I did not face any challenges.