Texas Commission on Environmental Quality

Updated 14 October, 2014
Updated 14 October, 2014
3.2

Richard A. Hyde

Pros
  • Great benefits, especially for a single individual (in 7 reviews)

• This is a great job for those who have families as they give you plenty time off and the work-life balance is pretty awesome (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • But they have taken away all of the good that outweigh the low pay (in 7 reviews)

• Pay is low in respect to private sector, too much politics/bureacracy (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

TCEQ "Scientist"

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, lots of training opportunities, diverse people

Cons

Low pay, everything happens slow, mid management is terrible and hired on the buddy system, very little science involved...mostly political decisions

Hire qualified people instead of promoting "buddies"

The bad, the good and the ugly

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality

Pros

Opportunity to learn about how regulation of water, waste and air works in the State of Texas. Seemingly endless training opportunities

Cons

Narrow mindedness. Failure to see potentials. Bad salary. Lack of opportunity for growth.

Are they interested in listening. I won't waste my time.

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

None .... From what I can tell, besides maybe the benefits these people get for working for the state of Texas.

Cons

Everything that I listed above. And I you try to call these people they act like you are interrupting their whole day. Heaven forbid you ask them to get something done.

Stop playing good ol boy so work can actually get done.

Good experience, low wages, low chance of promotion...

Current Employee - General Engineering Specialist I in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - General Engineering Specialist I in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible work hours, decent health benefits, 40 hours a week work schedule, no pressure in work environment, laid back office culture, comp time gets your more time off.

Cons

hard to become noticed, office cubes galore, training not organized, lacking in the mentoring process, low pay wages

Great Manager I just wish he would be more involved in the mentoring process.

TCEQ- Great place to work, under-paid employees, access to training

Current Employee - Team Lead in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work environment, less stress, no long hours

Cons

Low salaries, less growth opportunities.

Increase pay structure. Structure for faster growth.

As good as the state politics permit

Current Employee - Mickey Leland in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Mickey Leland in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Hardworking, friendly employees, decent pays and benefits, beautiful headquarter campus

Cons

Old office facility, lots of nepotism, frustratingly slow and political bureaucracy

TCEQ

I worked at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time

Pros

Job happiness greatly depends on the department you're working in. Benefits of being a state employee are nice. Trainings and professional development are usually made available. Work life balance is good. A lot of hiring from within and various departments to find the best fit.

Cons

Upper management is pretty out of touch with the rest of staff. There can be a lot of impersonal / robotic interactions. While the work in some departments DO help the State of Texas/its people, others, are definitely affected by the Commissioner's and politicians' bureaucratic agenda - like Industrial and Hazardous Waste.

Have a backbone and promote those that do their job well. General encouragement is lacking. Better salaries (as most have said) would also be welcomed.

Great place to learn

Current Employee - Modeling and Assessment Specialist in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Modeling and Assessment Specialist in Austin, TX (US)

Pros

You can learn a lot here and the company is willing to invest in training classes to improve your skills. You also get the opportunity to work with some very smart people who are willing to teach what they know. This is a great job for those who have families as they give you plenty time off and the work-life balance is pretty awesome. There is a stress-free environment and the job is pretty secure while offering many incentives for your longevity. Team Leader's managing styles vary, so depending on your manager this can be an absolutely wonderful job.

Cons

Pay is nearly half of those in the private industry and the latter is a very slow climb. Because the job is secure you may end up working with those who do the bare minimum to get by. Don't expect any financial recognition for your hard work or any extra effort your put into your work.

Increase the presence of incentives, many employees don't put much effort into their work because it makes no difference in their pay or in the security of their job. The yearly performance reviews which are used to grade an employee for consideration on a raise is not a sufficient evaluation as you can only exceed, met or need improvement. Also from the time of your review and the time you receive a raise can sometimes take a year and you'll only get about a 3.5% increase in pay whether you met or exceeded expectations, which is not good enough if they want to keep their employees happy.

Good Starting Job

Current Employee - Environmental Investigator II in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Environmental Investigator II in Houston, TX (US)

Pros

This is my first full time job out of college and it is a good place to start. My coworkers are extremely nice and helpful and have been guiding me along with my training. The company itself has good training opportunities as well as the ability to get time off. The state offers pretty random holidays that you can acrue and use at your convenience. The benefits are decent as well and there is a sense of good job security.

Cons

The pay is far too little. Some of the positions involve pretty technical work and you would receive much more money for the same job working in the private sector.

The company is amazing and does well for the state in regards to keeping the place clean for future generations. My advice is to compensate your workers a little better so that they will continue to keep Texas clean and safe for all upcoming youth.

Overall a good place to work. Decent career or nice place to obtain some experience.

Current Employee - Environmental Investigator
    Current Employee - Environmental Investigator

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have a family so by far the biggest reason to stay is the time off and ability and flexibility to make the work-life balance happen.
    Retirement and health insurance are nice.
    Pretty good training opportunities.

Cons

Management from top to bottom, with a few exceptions, is very lacking. VERY MUCH a good ole boy system. Either political favorites (favors) or those employees that have been there the longest get promoted and raises. Not much put into selecting the best qualified. Makes for a disturbing and strained boss-employee relationship.
    Salary is very stagnant, especaially after a few years when you reach the top of the career ladder.
    Many decisions are made to appease industry that is politically connected. Very unethical at times.

Forget trying to appease people and do the right thing. Conflict is our business. Lets just make it righteous conflict instead of trying to avoid doing our job as an agency.