Terex

Terex Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Terex Chairman and CEO Ron DeFeo

Ron DeFeo

Pros
  • Terex is a reasonable employer that understands a work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Great people, supportive culture, full of career opportunities (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • If you come from a different kind of industry you may not be familiar with the ups and downs of heavy construction equipment (in 3 reviews)

• Company has not done a good job transitioning from a holding company to an operating company (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Servant Leadership in Action

Director (Current Employee) Westport, CT (US)

ProsCollegial atmosphere, employees are proud to be part of Terex, politics to a minimum. The CEO is approachable, and pays attention to employee and customer satisfaction. The company promotes and fosters an environment suitable for women with the initiative Women@Terex.
    Special focus on values and doing business ethically. Excellent leadership.

ConsHaving worked in other industries, I find Terex a place to stay for a long time. There is quality of life at Terex.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that the Terex Way, and Ron's leadership style continues to be the big differentiator in the industry for employees, and customers. We can grow and achieve our goals without ever changing our identity and approach to leadership.

Good life/work balance

ProsThe senior management is very supportive

ConsEmployee benefits are so-so / pay is not good.

Terex is a great place to work.

Supply Chain Manager (Current Employee) Canton, SD (US)

ProsThe main perk to working for Terex are the benefits. Specifically, great health/vision/dental, tuition reimbursement, 401(k), ESPP match, etc. Additionally, hard work and extra effort are often acknowledged. Terex is a reasonable employer that understands a work/life balance. Salary wise, Terex is offers a competitive pay. When you factor in the benefits, it is probably better than other comparable opportunities.

ConsTerex could do a better job defining career progression. Also, a renewed emphasis on training is needed; both specific to current roles and not specific - to broaden employee capabilities. Terex doesn't offer maturity / paternity paid leave and employees must use vacation time and once that is consumed, unpaid FMLA kicks in.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Brighter future ahead

ProsThis is a great place to grow your career if you love a challenge. The culture is very open to change. People are friendly and easy to work with. If you are improvement minded and a team player there are a lot of opportunities. Senior management is very accessible.

ConsThe numerous geographic locations make it a less convenient to collaborate.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpeed up decisions.

Solid Firm

Vice President (Current Employee)

ProsDiversified portfolio of products. Strong CEO with a focus on customer value.

ConsHolding company history - working to shift to an operating company mentality. There remain economic opportunities for more efficiency.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Terex Way is a great philosophy that is strongly embraced through the organization. I would advise senior leadership that they should look hard at their own behavior to assure it is aligned to the Terex Way.

Best place to work

ProsTerex is in growth mode so there are lot of opportunities for employees for growth & advancement. Pays lot of attention to ethics & compliance which helps create a very work atmosphere for employees.

ConsTerex has a diversified product portfolio and equally diversified business presence all over the world. There is no standardization across and the most businesses operate a lot independently

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd more expats at leadership levels at all locations which will help sharing best practices.

Missing Terex

ProsGreat Executive Leadership that sees the future of the industry.

ConsGot laid off in 2011 by Terex. Yes, they took care of me; however, I have found that I had to take over two steps back and take a HUGE pay cut. I had to move to another state.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember the employees that actually saved you millions while they were there instead of laying the off.

Design Engineer

Design Engineer (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MN (US)

ProsGood benefits, work/life balance, compensation is relative to the area.

ConsFive different managers in the last five years. Disconnect between upper management and local operation. Desire to change things last moment before production starts.

Advice to Senior Management1. Realize who your people are and what exactly they build. We have a niche market, why try to build something that everyone else builds for more money.
    2. Let the factory sell directly to the dealers. Eliminate the factory sells to construction division who sells to dealer model. Are you really keeping costs down by doing this?
    3. Let us be innovative again. We were when you bought us out. Now its just a lets try to build what everyone else builds. There is no added value there.
    4. Don't change things at the last minute just because it looks better on paper. Put someone in the seat and let them drive it. Our machines can do what others can't. Word of mouth sells more machines than does rental houses.

Company with Good Products for US and European businesses

ProsGood variety of business and products, present in many countries

ConsOne needs to be "friends" with senior leaders to be noticed

Advice to Senior Management1. Revisit your strategies in view fo your presence in different markets
    2. Focus on strategy implementation and track and share progress. Senior Regional Leaders are focused on "here and now" and firefighting issues that they term as strategy
    3. Develop products for the Emerging markets, don't thrust US/Europe centric products in markets that don't need them/ value them

Fast paced with lots of opportunity

Design Engineer (Former Employee) Rock Hill, SC (US)

ProsLarge corporation with strong processes in place. Recognized as best equipment in the industry. Nice to work from a position of buying in large quantity. Allows for expanded design opportunities

ConsFast paced, sometimes hard to keep up. Keeping up with the needs of Sales, Manufacturing, Purchasing, Customer support can be challenging if understaffed. Facility fluctuated often between under staffed, and over staffed.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement stream too long. Local managements input should receive more weight. Trying to manage a facility on the East coast, from a facility on the West coast is a challenge. Completely different work force and mindset. Completely different set of tools available to work with from one facility to the next.

Worked for Terex? Contribute to the Community!