Ted Baker London

Updated 24 October, 2014
Updated 24 October, 2014
3.2

Raymond Stuart Kelvin

Great company to work for, great chances to grow

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Ted Baker London part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots's of positions to grown in the company

Cons

The leadership in most of managers should be more professional.

Micro-managment

Very TEDucational

Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in Richmond, London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in Richmond, London, England (UK)

I worked at Ted Baker London full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere in store, combining rigarous training to ensure you are at the top of your game. Great enthusiasm from other staff and management and brilliant staff benefits and perks. There are opportunities to move around as I moved from the Portsmouth to Richmond stores and both were very enjoyable. Team training and knowledge about the brand was exciting to learn about and inform customers about every day.

Cons

Challenges included retaining the large amount of information that was expected by management in order to be well versed in both the product and company history.

Please remember that your staff are new and it takes time to be well versed in the company history and procedures. This can even be the case when moving between different stores as there are differences between outlets and full price stores. It is a learning process and takes time and repetition before these skills become second nature.

One Year at Ted

Former Employee - Sales Person in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Person in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Ted Baker London full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The training is like nothing i have encountered before, very informal but taught me lots about my self and my approach to customers. i was constantly encouraged to learn different aspects of the business such as the admin systems, weekly reports and figures, not just sales. This certainly helped when i left to go on university placement, as the training and drive carried through.

Cons

there can be a lot of pressure to hit targets, as is the case in many retail positions. being in part of a concession in HOF I often found my self being pestered by store managers to push master cards on customers, this can be very awkward and uncomfortable.

take into consideration the amount of hard work your sales staff put in, and perhaps pay them a wage to match that responsibility.

My experience has been a roller coaster of fun, stress and ridiculousness.

Current Employee - Stockroom Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Stockroom Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Ted Baker London part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about working at Ted is the sense of community, I love the working environment and the 'banter' (for lack of a better word) is really good. I also love the friendships you can build within the company. Meeting Ray when I worked at the Bicester store was also a really cool thing to happen.

Cons

Some of the challenges are the stress, working in the stockroom sometimes people don't appreciate your hard work as much as you think they should. I also find it hard sometimes to stay focused when I'm working a long day, but I find it's easier to set myself targets and milestones - which I then complete throughout the day and it helps it go quicker and I get more jobs done that way.

Communication amongst each other and other members of staff.

Amazing team work environment

Former Employee - Sales Associate and Specialist in Heathrow, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate and Specialist in Heathrow, England (UK)

I worked at Ted Baker London full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The uniform and clothes is enough to make me happy to work there! But the working atmosphere is amazing, probably the most enjoyable job ive had in retail. I learnt a lot very quickly whilst working there and you support the brand and want to support your team. The managers are friendly and manage the team really well. The Teducation is a great scheme which teaches the ethics of retail. I developed a lot of confidence and I wish I was still there!

Cons

I cant think of any. If youre not work driven or cannot multi-task under pressure then thats something to consider. It involves a lot of hard work which I love

More individual observation/reviews to develop the potential for employees to move up within the company.

Excellent Experience at Lenox Atlanta

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Ted Baker London part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love everything about working at Ted! Great pay for working retail, great team, nice bonus checks, the product practically sells itself. --I have to address some of the Atlanta reviews because I'm feeling like bitter individuals are just spreading utter lies and I wouldn't want anyone considering working for Ted Lenox to confused-- A. The person who claimed to be a current employee at Ted who go fired for being overweight HAD to be a bogus review. Who are you?!? I'm a female and by far the biggest female on our team (size 14-16) and my job has never been threatened because if it. That review was just bogus. B. I don't know whether this reviewer had a different manager then me but we definitely don't have weak leadership. Ken is the current manager and he's pretty awesome. You don't have to take my word, obviously we are doing very well under his management. A manager doesn't have to be a tool to be respected.
    The team actually has a great manager and assistant manager who are both excellent communicators and fun to work with. You will never be confused about where you stand and what you need to improve on. Both managers, while respected, are fun to be around. Definitely not the typical dreaded feeling in retail of having your manager breath down your neck constantly or anything. Everyone is well trained and equipped to do things for themselves and take initiative without being told to.

Cons

While I have no qualms with my team there are a few minor cons about working in a concession store inside of Bloomingdales

Size 5-- I don't like the fact that we do not carry a size 5 in store! Nordstrom has it and it creates competition where it shouldn't be since we obviously have the fuller Ted collection.

No benefits-- I don't like that as a part timer I don't receive benefits. Insurance outside of a company is always more costly for less coverage.

Bloomingdales-- The most annoying, if not ONLY annoying thing about working in a concession store is being in the middle of Bloomingdales shark-like sales people who don't always value connecting with the customer and selling the merchandise in a fashion that will avoid returns. It can be very frustrating. I do find myself having to guard my sales from bloomies associates and keep the peace to avoid severing relationships on the floor, its a balancing act.

Bloomingdales Return Policy- The return policy just sucks. I don't know how else to say it. They take back everything, and in a town where stylists return worn things constantly and people simply buy things knowing they are going to wear an item once and return it, the store has GOT to hold customers and sales clerks taking back returns more accountable.

None. I'm pretty satisfied with the company overall.

Interesting Environment

I have been working at Ted Baker London full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good business , they want everyone to learn and grow!

Cons

Its all about who Management likes.

Very educational experience....

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Nottingham, England (UK)

I worked at Ted Baker London full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ted Baker took the time to educate me in my role, and learnt me all you need to know to succeed in my role and beyond. Great uniform allowance and staff discount policy. Work as a team in all aspects.

Cons

Ted baker were sometimes stuck in their ways with the management side of the business. I felt if the face fits you were given the opportunity regardless of experience i.e if you the perfect person for the job but your face didn't fit there was a problem. Being a homosexual and wanting to express my personality which Ted approved to an extent i was punished for this in several ways.

Improved allowance.

Waste of time.

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Ted Baker London full-time

Pros

They really try to involve you in their products ie. where the inspiration comes from and how you can style a customer to look 'Ted'. They give you a journal so you can take notes which is handy for referring to. Genuinely nice, well made products so sales targets were usually pretty realistic and achievable. You also get paid every two weeks which is good.

Cons

30 hour contracts at minimum wage, meaning obscenely poor annual salary despite selling products worth, on average, about a hundred pounds a piece. This results in a high turnover of staff and means that everyone is contantly learning which seems to give senior members of staff a lot more work to do. The uniform discount is generous but you are only allocated a certain amount you can use that on which is less generous. If you imagine working four or five days a week and having to buy products that are one hundred pounds a piece you'll soon see the allowance the give you doesn't go very far, in which case you would be expected to spend more of your own money to cover the cost. Even if you did manage to stay within the allocation you still end up spending a fair amount on your uniform which, because of the poor wages, ends up being quite a big chunk of your first wage. A huge focus on appearance, wanted you to plaster (and i mean PLASTER) on the make up every day and wear high heels on saturdays (even though this is obviously the busiest day of the week and you will be running around like mad). They say that customers come first but actually a lot of silly rules are imposed which means customers are left waiting around. They have also only just began offering refunds if a customer wishes to return something, before this it was only an exchange or gift card which I actually think is pretty disgusting. It left 'the little people' working in the stores to enforce a shameless policy obviously chosen by someone much higher up intent on holding onto sales rather than the effect this would have on the companies reputation. This has been fixed now but certainly made for some uncomfortable conversations and extremely dissatisfied customers when I was there. In addition, I felt I was treated unfavourably when I handed my notice in.

I believe offering better salaries would solve a lot of your problems, give people something to stick around for. You have a lot of passionate members of staff working in your stores but i don't believe you suitably reward them for their efforts or really care about them. Basically, become a company with a soul.

Retail store working- boring, repetitive, lots of standing round and minimal staff benefits for poor pay

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at Ted Baker London part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Staff discount on clothes however at just 20% (i think it was) against the prices they sell stock at and the poor wages staff earn doesn't really make there stock much more affordable!

Cons

having moved from another popular high street womens clothes retailer the hourly pay was lower to say its such a high profile company. Sales staff are trusted with basically no extra responsibilities which having worked in retail previously is usually the norm to hand out extra responsibilities to staff to not just occupy there time but also give them a sense of job satisfaction and achievement. You spend most of your time un bagging clothes for the shop floor sent down the warehouse, and then later that day rebagging back up just as much stock to ship out somewhere else like another store or outlet. This seems to be a continuous circle of all you spend your time doing, or the occasional 'spacing' out of hangers on the shop floor so every piece of clothing is equally spaced the same distance apart! Other then this my management team seemed also to like the fact of recleaning already clean display shelves which you'd end up doing about twice every day just to 'look busy'. over all the job satisfaction is zero to none, the company needs to think of some serious ways to keep there staffs time occupied and boost morale.