Teach for America

Updated 25 October, 2014
Updated 25 October, 2014
3.8

Matthew Kramer & Elisa Villanueva Beard

Pros
  • opportunities for professional development and taking on big jobs early in one's career (in 50 reviews)

• Passionate, intelligent colleagues, great benefits and option to work from home (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance involved in the corps commitment is a significant challenge (in 42 reviews)

• Long hours and work/personal life balance can be difficult as a first year (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging, rewarding experience

I have been working at Teach for America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Supportive network, easy access to management

Cons

Experience you get in the depends on school placement, TFA corps members will sometimes confuse TFA experience with school-site challenges.

Awesome Professional Development

Former Employee - Corps Member
    Former Employee - Corps Member

I worked at Teach for America as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

TFA provides ample opportunities to explore your leadership and teaching style. There is a huge network of people to help you determine how you fit into the larger picture of educational equality. You have to be willing to take advantage of it.

Cons

At first, it can feel a bit competitive and as though you are on your own when in your classroom. At times, it is difficult to know if the organization's focus is on creating strong teachers for students or creating strong leaders.

Provide more time to focus on lesson planning in a way that can provide better work-life balance.

Excellent Place to Work

I have been working at Teach for America

Pros

The culture is really great

Cons

They have a "no negotiation" policy in regards to salary.

Teach For America opened my eyes to the world of urban education.

Former Employee - 2012 Corps Member in Providence, RI (US)
    Former Employee - 2012 Corps Member in Providence, RI (US)

I worked at Teach for America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The work is real and the impact is tangible. The work-life balance is really up to you, there is no upper-bound limit to teaching. Personally, I have gained a tremendous amount of perspective through this program.

Cons

I was hoping Teach for America would help me gain leverage into the business world but it does not. Still, the name gets you to a lot of non-profits, graduate schools, policy roles and other education roles.

Recruitment and Admissions Marketing Intern

I worked at Teach for America as an intern

Pros

Amazing company to intern for. Everybody in the office was nice, helpful and welcoming. Not a huge commitment. Had weekly professional development seminars which were incredibly helpful. A great 1st internship experience, and one that helped me decide I wanted to pursue a career in education. A very inspiring work environment. Young. Upbeat.

Cons

Unpaid, which is expected of an internship but it could be improved upon by providing at least a transportation stipend. Limited hours which isn't good if you are trying to get a tun out of it.

Institute Internship

Former Employee - Operations Intern in Cleveland, MS (US)
    Former Employee - Operations Intern in Cleveland, MS (US)

I worked at Teach for America as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-great professional development
    -get to work in a new place for a short period of time
    -really talented people
    -great way to check out the organization (if you are thinking about joining the corps)
    -lots of feedback

Cons

-management team could sometimes be a bit better (brilliant, but sometimes not clear on expectations/planning)
    -sometimes force you into difficult conversations about social issues without really knowing the team yet
    -compensation is about minimum wage (but you gain a lot of great skills and have a great organization on your resume afterwards)

Very rewarding but very stressful.

Current Employee - Math Teacher in Las Vegas, NV (US)
    Current Employee - Math Teacher in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I have been working at Teach for America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

you love your kids and are changing their lives.

Cons

very time consuming
    very stressful

Help by giving less to do and more support.

Associate, Compliance Support

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Teach for America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours, learning curve is high, great work-life balance, not stressful, wonderful co-workers

Cons

Not as intellectually stimulating as other jobs

great place to be on staff, highly recommend it if you are aligned with the organizational mission

Former Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Teach for America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

*very intentional and values-driven organization
    *competitive compensation for non-profit organization
    * strong benefits package
    * hardworking, dedicated, fun co-workers
    * great alumni and staff network and opportunity to learn from very talented, caring people with experiences in a variety of for-profits and non-profits
    * flexible work hours (long hours, but can work remotely for many national team roles)
    * opportunities for professional development and taking on big jobs early in one's career

Cons

* long work hours - everyone is dedicated to their work and many are young team members without families so sometimes tricky to find balance or you feel like you don't want to say no (although organization is committed to providing tools and resources that support this)
    * going through organizational transition between regional and national teams so staff experience and strength of your manager / professional development may differ based on specific team
    * if you are on the national team, may operate in a very virtual way, include several communication loops and checkpoints with a variety of stakeholders before rolling out big projects, and/or have lots of national travel (this could be a pro or con depending on what you are looking for and your work style but good to know)

I respect the transparency and intentionality with which the most senior staff members operate. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time on staff, and would love to return to staff again if I find an aligned opportunity. As I indicated in my exit interview, I think it would be worthwhile to dedicate more organizational resources to the staff experience and more consistently retaining and developing staff members who have been on the team for a while, particularly given organizational shifts

Campus Outreach Intern

I worked at Teach for America as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Easy to do, work your own hours, just source qualified student leaders on campus and email them.

Cons

Mundane at times. unless you're interested in doing the program in the future, don't waste your time.