TUI Travel

Updated 12 September, 2014
3.2

TUI Travel CEO Peter Long
Peter Long

Pros
  • Being able to move around the world to different locations is fantastic (in 3 reviews)

• international working environment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Brands and different companies under main holding company tended to be convoluted (in 4 reviews)

• Firstly location (Luton - need I say more) (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Meh

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at TUI Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Very good staff
    - Solid expertise and understanding of the industry

Cons

- Poor salary
    - Poor benefits
    - Lack of internal promotions
    - Incredibly erratic and knee jerk reaction to almost everything
    - Constant reshuffle of upper management
    - Massive blame game culture

Improve salary, reward staff for hard work, be more measured in how you react when things aren't going well.

Great fun until it isn't any more...

Former Employee - Seasonal Worker  in  Innsbruck (Austria)
    Former Employee - Seasonal Worker in Innsbruck (Austria)

I worked at TUI Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Travel, living in wonderful locations, the chance to live in a completely different culture and have a life that isn't possible in the UK even for a season.

Cons

Management are a bit cliquey in the country I was in. I had wonderful managers in my winter roles, but a specific manager in the summer was not honest with me until she realised that I had an intention of continuing to work for the company for a longer time, at which point she made clear she didn't like me and thought I couldn't do my job despite me having been there for a year and a half already. At this point the whole experience took a turn for the worse and the enjoyment disappeared. It is impossible to continue working in a country where you know very few people when management are making your life hell, although other managers were very supportive it was never in front of the manager in question so at to not disturb the clique.

Seasonal staff would stay more if their PDRs were taken seriously and dealt with honestly, the room for growth in the seasonal industry is great for those that want to utilise it, but not telling staff how you really think they are doing helps no-one.

Good Fun

Former Employee - Overseas Holiday Advisor  in  Salou (Spain)
    Former Employee - Overseas Holiday Advisor in Salou (Spain)

I worked at TUI Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Sun and more often than not, sea and sand....The initial training is fantastic as soon as you get to your destination or even if you have training at a different venue. Once you then get to your resort you get a fantastic overview of the whole resort and all the excursions you are going to sell as you get to go on them all before you start selling!
    Once you are out in your resort and within your team you become a new family and everyone is there to help each other but also to have fun with work.
    You get to meet some fantastic people who can even be your guests. You get to know people very well over a short space of time as you are constantly seeing and chatting to them.
    Being able to move around the world to different locations is fantastic. If you get all the right results throughout the season you can also often get to choose where you really want to go for the following season(s).

Cons

The living arrangements can often be less than expected. You can often be overlooked for the good work that you put in and rewards that are supposed to be given are often overlooked and forgotten.
    Also some management can not listen to your needs and preferences when you have a certain type of work you would like to do in a resort they may not listen and not give you your preferences.
    The caps on commission can be disheartening as when you hit the top bracket you have no incentive to keep on going above as there is little to no incentive to do so.

Listen more to your staff as often if preferences are given to staff they can be much happier and work much better. Also living accommodation should be looked at in a lot of resorts to check if they are still adequate for modern living as many I have been placed in are not!
    HA commission should match that of the 2wentys reps as there would be much more incentive to not stop at 20% above target as there is only £10 more per 10% above - There is no point trying to get any higher which is a poor way to run the business as the more money we bring in even if you do give us more money the more you will earn.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

THE BEST TRAVEL INDUSTRY EMPLOYER

Former Employee - Travel Adviser  in  Royal Tunbridge Wells, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Travel Adviser in Royal Tunbridge Wells, England (UK)

I worked at TUI Travel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Salary
    Fantastic product
    Easy to use system
    Great training program
    Beautiful destinations
    Good staff offers
    Easy working environment
    Amazing team and manager

Cons

Mystery shoppers are probably one of the hardest things to deal with as they really stress you out and you feel unnatural serving when knowing they are going to come.

Training was great when I started and my team were fabulous. An education wouldn't go a miss as I know it really improves product knowledge.

Very effcient, very corporate, a company that seems to care about employees

Former Employee - Marketing Exe  in  Luton, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Marketing Exe in Luton, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at TUI Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Efficient structure,
    Entertainment in head office
    Visionary

Cons

Pay
    personal growth
    company culture is ageing, not as suitable for younger 'go employees'

more opportunities needed for growth in that it's quite difficult to progress, so opportunities are more likely else where

It was amazing

Former Employee - Children's Representative  in  Los Cristianos (Spain)
    Former Employee - Children's Representative in Los Cristianos (Spain)

I worked at TUI Travel full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great opportunities, memories that will last a lifetime, make new friends

Cons

Hard work sometimes, got to be motivated

You guys are fantastic

This job opened up so many great opportunities for me to explore, learn and develop through an amazing summer!

Former Employee - Children's Representative  in  Cales de Majorca (Spain)
    Former Employee - Children's Representative in Cales de Majorca (Spain)

I worked at TUI Travel as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

You can travel the world and meet some amazing people!

Cons

Being away from home and the accommodation wasn't anything to shout about!

Cares far more about its shareholders than its staff

Former Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Brighton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Brighton, England (UK)

I worked at TUI Travel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some very talented and likeable individuals whom I've learnt a great deal from and become great friends with.

Amazing quality and breadth of travel products across the portfolio. If you can imagine it, TUI probably offers it.

Good pay

Cons

An ageing and very archaic hierarchy with lots of office politics and a large blame culture. Slow to adopt new technology and processes across the entirety of the group. Thomson and First Choice get the big bucks and opportunities thrown at them for good TUI PR, whilst many of the other brands are antiquated and have a lot to catch up on.

Synergy and Communication - Terrible internal communication across the group resulting in disconnected activity and duplicated efforts, resulting in huge unnecessary costs. The structure of 'growth via acquisition' where each brand is managed individually means many brands were formally competitors and this results in unhealthy internal competition where brands don't like sharing their results and strategies across the group.
    Even down to things such as inductions, you receive no welcome pack or formal welcome. You're just left to your own devices to try and find what you might need on the least user-friendly intranet. There's also no up to date global contacts directory so you have to track colleagues down via your own means.

Group benefits - There was outcry why Thomas Cook slashed their benefits but they're still better than TUI's, unless you work for an individual brand. I went on one Thomson flight and didn't go on a single TUI holiday during my 3 years at TUI as it was cheaper to shop with competitors, even as a staff member.

Career progression - I hit the glass ceiling within my first roll there and it seems to be more of a case of 'who you know' than 'what you know' when it comes to promotions with a definite 'boys' club' culture. It's very cut throat and those I've seen progress within the head office functions aren't afraid to trample over others to get to where they want to be.

Members of corporate and head office functions have less sense of belonging than those working for one of the brands where staff morale is much higher.

Very poor work / life balance and office environment - very little in the way of team building exercises, staff entertainment and functions. For example we had to arrange our own Christmas parties within our team and weren't invited to other nearby Christmas parties within the group.

Concentrate more efforts on the needs of your customers and employees than the London Stock Exchange.

Mistreated

Former Employee - Travel Adviser  in  Swansea, Wales (UK)
    Former Employee - Travel Adviser in Swansea, Wales (UK)

I worked at TUI Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Best things about working for TUI was the people I worked with as we were all close because of the environment of the shop. I also got to go to Tenerife free which was a great experience.

Cons

Unfortunately I worked for TUI in a retail shop selling holidays and in the bureau de change, which was a stressful environment. This is to be expected when working in a store however, in the two years I worked for the company, the incentive dropped from 5% to 2.5% which meant that it was stressful work for hardly any reward. There seemed to be no room to progress and no opportunities to develop myself which meant that I sought alternative employment, found it and am much happier as a result of this. I enjoyed my time there, but definitely not a life job for me..

Reward your staff more with bonus's and a raised incentive. If you want great results, reward your employees when they do perform great.

Creatively crushing

Former Employee - Designer
    Former Employee - Designer

I worked at TUI Travel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There seems to be some good recruitment where talented individuals are hired who bring knowledge, big ideas and are always a good laugh. Industry as a whole is interesting and there's a lot of potential to experiment with new ideas and technology.

Cons

Old school view of how a company should run. Minimal acceptance for anything new.
    Too many 'no' people.
    People always want something new and exciting yet seem terrified of doing anything different when it comes down to it. "Doing the same thing over and over yet expecting different results".
    Most ideas are trampled on.
    Always 'something' better on the horizon to appease concerns but concerns are never quite addressed.
    Little development, education or training. Minimal investment in staff.
    High turn-over of staff - Quickly lose those talented individuals.
    Politics get in the way of everything, you just can't get anything done without every level having their input (sometimes felt like people would say something for the sake of it).
    Blame culture.
    Little time given to do a good job before something else needs to be done yesterday.
    A very top heavy structure with little support for those towards the bottom.
    Seems to be lots of talk but no action. Resulting in another meeting.
    Quite often low moral.
    Ideas/Strategy seems to change as it comes down the chain of command which is confusing. Being told one thing my the most senior staff but direct management are relaying something different - occasionally the opposite?!

Trust those talented people you have hired to do their specialist job. Things might actually pick up if you allow people to exercise the ideas they have from time to time. Respect the fact that new ideas might fail but if something is learnt then it has been a success - allow the staff to know its ok to fail. Visibility of a sound strategy would be helpful. Invest in your staff. Invest in the culture.

Worked for TUI Travel? Contribute to the Community!