TUI Travel

www.tuitravelplc.com
Employer Engaged

Great

Current Employee - Advisor in Mahon (Spain)
    Current Employee - Advisor in Mahon (Spain)

I have been working at TUI Travel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good prospects for year long work
    Explore the world
    Promotion opportunities
    Tax free subsistance
    Free accomodation
    Great colleagues
    Head office opportunities

Cons

Hr processes can take time, generally a number in regards to hr team but Region mamagers make up for this.
    Time away from home

Keep up the good work but maybe look at employing more staff in hr / placements as they always seem to be stretched too much

Great company to work for if you have ambition, drive and enjoy working within a busy and fast paced environment

Former Employee - Health and Safety Manager
    Former Employee - Health and Safety Manager

I worked at TUI Travel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

they do focus on staff development and provide courses such as insights which was a great tool and experience. There is plenty of opportunities and you can never get bored (would not get the chance to). Fast paced yet exciting company to work for.

Cons

Balancing work and life is difficult due to the pressures of working within such a driven company. Remember to focus on you and if you focus on yourself and your own strengths everyone including the company will benefit.

Try and involve the employee in the appraisal process and spend more time ensuring staff are OK rather than just assuming....

My worst career experience so far

I have been working at TUI Travel full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company is very driven and have a strong sense of where they want to be in a few years time.
    There is a free bus that takes you to the Luton office from Luton Airport Parkway station
    Theres a company monthly meeting which usually involves guest speakers and free goodies

Cons

I had a very very bad experience at TUI, from day one of joining I was made to feel like an outkast.
    A lot of people already have their friendship groups and so it is hard to actually become friends with people at work, not enough effort is put into social intergration from the very beginning.
    I also experienced a horrific manager who was the reason others had left in the past.

When multiple staff members complain about one manager and even end up leaving because of this manager, then this means that this manager lacks in social skills and the ability to form positive relationships with coworkers. meaning that they shouldn't be a manager.

Good, but not great. Competitive benefits but offices are uninspiring and little culture.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gatwick, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gatwick, England (UK)

I have been working at TUI Travel full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and competitive salary, generally good atmosphere in office, nice people to work with, great internal communications.

Working hours are great.

Working for TUI Travel is working for a market leader

Cons

Hierarchical system means it is very difficult to get things done. Location of offices isn't great. Very political environment. Salary reviews are rubbish. Little company culture or social life due to location.

Internal sign off is a nightmare and slows down the rate of movement across the company

Potentially great, but too many bureaucrats, too much back-stabbing/brown nosing and lack of forward thinking approach.

Current Employee - Sales Customer Service Inbound in Coventry, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Customer Service Inbound in Coventry, England (UK)

I have been working at TUI Travel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's a job, the staff are all in the same boat. The training and development is well structured and educational trips are a nice touch.

Cons

There is no 2 way avenue... It's all about metrics, scheduled adherence. Sales targets are rarely achievable and a lot of the time when staff levels are low, the targets are split between who ever is left. It's not approached sensibly, when your opinion is given to management, it is usually looked down on and you feel worthless. The company will have it their way at any cost, changes to bad practices take too long to rectify.

Take your head from where it doesn't shine and listen to your staff, give them what they want once in a while. Business is business yes, but without morale you have no engagement. It's always very difficult to get time off so that needs attention. When you take on new people, you always do the maths test. When you apply for a job within, you always have to do all the stupid tests again (even though you had to be able to do them when you first started). Why do you make people take the tests again? You know they are intelligent/arrhythmic as they had to pass to start employment with TUI. There are lots of things that are back to front. I suggest that when a staff member isn't happy with something or a decision their manager has made, that manager takes up to the director level... since a lot of the time, the bureaucrats within will say there is nothing more that can be done, when they are lying because they can't be bothered to help you (or they have made a decision that goes against the company values or is ethically challenged). Stop asking people for their personal information all the time too, you have asked for it a number of times. I could go on and on and on and on.

Bullies

I worked at TUI Travel

Pros

All positives were completely and utterly crushed......

Cons

Line managers bully their staff as they too are bullied. So you cannot approach anyone for help to prevent this as those above rule in a similar way.
    Targets reached so they find something else to shout about. Humiliating, upsetting, destroying, disaster of an experience.
    I quit a good job to join Tui and feel gutted I was duped from day one. False promises of what's on the horizon.
    Absolutely NO employee care whatsoever.

If you wish to keep staff and save on training costs. Treat them as human beings. Value their work, educate if they fail. Praise often..

Had to leave as was not granted holiday for 18 months.

Former Employee - Holiday Advisor in Playa del Carmen (Mexico)
    Former Employee - Holiday Advisor in Playa del Carmen (Mexico)

I worked at TUI Travel full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Location, training, availability of management, chance to learn different job skills and even another language.

Cons

I worked for 18 months with one day off a week, no weekend, no holidays and became completely exhausted- when I asked for a weeks unpaid leave it was not granted! Our manager said this was because we were not hitting target as a resort- no wonder-none of us had had a break!

I believe after I left the reps in Mexico were thereafter given holidays, please ensure this keeps happening!

Good company name, but lost their way in world of Retail

I worked at TUI Travel part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

opportunities are with this company to progress, and as a company Tui are vibrant and focussed for todays world, they are leading the way in travel with excellent Hotels and service.

Cons

The Retail enviroment is wrapped up with lots of pressure on staff. leaving them feeling exhausted , largely due to many years of cutting down staff in retail due to todays demanding world of profit, making our staff in retail feeling lots of pressure to meet company standards and left feeling under valued .

Employees are the core of the business, keeping them valued is making their job more enjoyable, Im afraid to say that as a company so big their only focus is the big numbers and their is no concern for base level yet all contributing to the same company in some form or another.

Very good experience overall but recent changes make it difficult to consider as a long-term career.

Former Employee - Resort Team Leader in Fethiye, Mugla (Turkey)
    Former Employee - Resort Team Leader in Fethiye, Mugla (Turkey)

I worked at TUI Travel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get the feeling that you are an important part of the company, no matter what role you are in. Management make sure that you get recognised and rewarded for good work and there are always opportunities to progress in the company. There is a great lifestyle away from work and you get to see and experience some amazing places around the world, not to mention all of the people you will meet along the way.

Cons

The job can be quite demanding and in some resorts you can find yourself really stretched due to staff shortages. Some managers will get stuck in and help out with any task but others can be very distant and leave some team members neglected.

Make sure that management are prepared to help out at lower levels when required.

Poor Company to work for!!!!!

Former Employee - Marketing Executive
    Former Employee - Marketing Executive

I worked at TUI Travel full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I'm not quite sure the pros of the marketing department. However, travel industry in general is interesting.

Cons

-Firstly location (Luton - need I say more)?
    -In the interview they talked highly of the last minute, (heavily) discounted holidays, only to find out they're impossible to get
    -Management was lacking in leadership skills, developing the employees and delegating tasks
    -the food was average
    -not very creative in terms of testing new ideas
    -VERY unfriendly/cliquey department. If you've not been friends with the team for years or you don't live near them then any type of social conversation is out of the picture
    -VERY high turnover rate for marketing executives...this is down to the poor management styles and leadership. They don't care to help progressing and growing their employees.