TJX Companies Reviews

Updated 14 September, 2014
3.1

TJX Companies President, CEO, and Director Carol M. Meyrowitz
Carol M. Meyrowitz

Pros
  • An honest people place with a real work - life balance not just lip service (in 27 reviews)

• Good benefits, Have an open door policy that is worth utilizing (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is always changing the methods of operation to try some new scheme (in 18 reviews)

• There is no higher pay for those returning to another internship or full time job (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Company needs more caring People

I worked at TJX Companies

Pros

Have nothing good to say about the TJMaxx division

Cons

Senior Management are well protected even the HR Dept they all stick together not a family /work balance company speaking of the TJMaxx division, training is terrible and no cares about anything but themselves.....rude and very out of touch with there employees

The pay is terrible

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at TJX Companies part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Coworkers are nice, great mix of people from all over the world

Cons

Pay is horrible. Pay increases come in 33 cents per year and usually minimum wage increases catch up with you. No merit for hard working people

Have some back bone and get rid of your non performing employees, pay your hard workers a decent pay check and it will pay off

I enjoyed working here, helping the customers and working with the associates.

Former Employee - Customer Experience Coordinator  in  Swansea, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Coordinator in Swansea, MA (US)

I worked at TJX Companies part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I can be persuasive in getting customers to open credit cards. Managers always call on me especially if customers have a huge purchase. It's about customer retention and keeping them happy.

Cons

Promotion. Promotions were given to under staff members with little or no educational or experience. My manager was 23 years old but I like her very much..

Management should really work hard to retain dedicated workers.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hard to Move Up

Former Employee - Human Resources  in  Framingham, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Framingham, MA (US)

I worked at TJX Companies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

TJX has a lot of pros. Overall, they have an amazing home office with a lot of perks like two gyms, an amazing cafeteria, and a indoor golfing range. Also since it is so big you have a really wonderful sense of community. They also provide very good benefits and 401K opportunities.

Cons

They cons are great. I found the company to be very hard to move up in. They also gave some of the worst raises I have ever gotten. I would have a wonderful review and a really bad raise and the excuses was always "we are an off price retailer". I never got that since they were making millions all over the world.

Have better opportunities to move up and give more realistic raises.

Empty

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They will promote from within.

Cons

They do not pay their workers and they put a lot on you for that little pay and they really bring cutting payroll to a whole NEW level, to a point that their customers suffer because they never have enough employees in a store to complete task all at once. Always pulling a employee from this a job to go do another job, leaving a customer to suffer or another job incomplete.

Step in and help out more. District manager should stop cutting payroll or company as a hold and sales would be even better. When you have the staffing to help the customers to make a better informed decision they will buy more, therefore covering payroll.

Corruption

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at TJX Companies full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

1. Nice associates
    2. Nice merchandise
    3. Tons of locations for relocation if necessary
    4. Bonuses for management

Cons

1.You only move up if you suck up to upper management and are a favorite.
    2. For assistant managers you work long hours with no appreciation.
    3. The HR department does nothing to store managers that treat their employees like crap and violate open door policy.
    4. Pay is garbage for what they want from you. You'll be lucky to make 40k.
    5. You'll be lucky to have one weekend off a month say goodbye to family.
    6. Company cares more about the TJX card than it does its own employees. They don't care how you get customers to open cards as long as you get them.
    7. Keep extending hours soon the store will be open 24 hours and all holidays. Corporate doesn't care about associates having a lives.
    8. It's very cliquey if you are buddies with the loss prevention manager and associates you'll get good scores on audits.
    9. Most store managers sit in there office all day and have no idea what is happening in there stores.
    10. Been with the company 10 years seen several assistants come and go because of everything above.

Advice to HR department when you get tons of associate compliants about a store manager fire them and don't give them a larger volume store. Corporate invest more into your employees and assistant managers the people helping you make a profit!

Only good if you're one of the favorites!

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at TJX Companies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Stability, Schedule, Development... Learned a lot from training seminars and meetings. Loved what I did for the most part.

Cons

Not a good place to work if you are the type to ask why, to push back, to question things. Also not 100% equal rights... they claim to be but it's a different story when you work there. If you were not one of the favorites, you were not treated equally.

Keep personal opinions out of your professional decisions.

ok

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time

Pros

Work From Home, Sick leave and weekly salary

Cons

less salary than market and no bounces......

don't pay off price salary

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Idaho Falls, ID (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Idaho Falls, ID (US)

I worked at TJX Companies part-time for less than a year

Pros

I was able to learn better customer service and learn to work in a public place and be involved with the community.

Cons

The management was not the best. The main manager needed to learn not only customer service skills but also how to talk to their employees.

Learn how to talk to your employees in a professional manner without degrading them.

Just don't do it

Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator
    Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

401k for FT and PT, benefits for FT after 1 year, PTO for FT and PT

Cons

pay is not equal to the amount of work, managers are very disrespectful and treat employees like they don't matter,talk bad about associates behind their backs, and seem to only care about themselves/their store.

learn how to treat your associates with respect. the company always talks about the bottom line.....well bottom line is, store associates are the ones making you rich while they continue making minimum wage and are told they aren't doing enough. store managers
    are crazy and practically eat sleep and breathe marshalls/tjmaxx etc. it's just a store people....stop stepping on people to reach your goals

Worked for TJX Companies? Contribute to the Community!