TJX Companies

TJX Companies Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

TJX Companies President, CEO, and Director Carol M. Meyrowitz

Carol M. Meyrowitz

Pros:
  • "An honest people place with a real work - life balance not just lip service"
    in 25 reviews
  • "Good benefits, Have an open door policy that is worth utilizing"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management is always changing the methods of operation to try some new scheme"
    in 15 reviews
  • "They don't value temps and it takes time to become a full time employee"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Excellent experience, excellent people.

Summer Intern (Former Employee)
Framingham, MA (US)

I worked at TJX Companies as an intern for less than a year

ProsWhile TJX's Merchandise Training Program is well-known, the company also provides great internship experiences in other functions of the company (IT, Marketing, eCommerce, etc.).

I had a fantastic experience during the summer after my junior year; my department was filled with passionate people who were very welcoming and always willing to help out. Everyone is energetic, well-dressed, professional, and friendly. I learned a lot about marketing and it is a particularly useful experience for people interested in the retail industry. I would certainly return to this company given the opportunity.

ConsHonestly, there are not many cons to report back on. Just that the internship ended and now I have to go through the application process again to try to get back in the company!

Good and Bad

I have been working at TJX Companies

ProsCompany has a great future

ConsAttitude behind the scenes is almost bi-polar

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the hard work of the low hanging fruit

Not a terrible place to work if you want to punch the clock and go through the motions

Merchandise Support Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood work/life balance. Friendly coworkers. Good mix of youth and experience. Good extracurricular opportunities.

ConsMerchandising Department (the nucleus of the company) is a complete disaster. Mercandise Support Department lacks managerial strength. Supervisors are hard-working and under-appreciated - Managers use them as shields. Merchandise Assistants are overworked, mistreated, underpaid, and misled about a career path. Many Buyers are arrogant and have a 'diva' attitude. In general, a lack of vibrance and innovation at this company. Severe lack of forward thinking.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut the Merchandise Support and Merchandising Departments under the microscope. Turnover is outrageous, structure is inefficient - this puts a lot of strain on MAs and Supervisors. Managers are frighteningly removed from what really goes on at the MA level.

Great company

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe people and the culture are what separate this organization from others. Although large it still has a small feeling to it.

ConsThe salary was on the low end? The benefits are great but because of the high cost of living in the area the salary was low.

Great experience

Merchandise Assistant (Former Employee)
Boston, MA (US)

I worked at TJX Companies full-time for more than a year

ProsTJX gives a great work life balance type environment and is very considerate of their own staff's self and career development

ConsIt would be ideal if TJX companies would give more flexibility on working from home or working remotely especially for those with young children at home

Advice to Senior Managementcontinue with the great support to staff

Minimum

Associate (Current Employee)
Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at TJX Companies part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat co-workers who like to make the best of the situation. Management provides great incentives for all associates.

ConsNot enough hours to obtain enough money to rent apartment. Scheduling manager needs more training.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more hours to the people who would like to work more hours

Great company

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat benefits with the company in the Diatributiion centers.

ConsNone that I know of

Valuable work experience to be gained, but check your ambition at the door.

Design Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at TJX Companies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOpportunities for foreign travel. Great experience working with overseas agents. Opportunity to design and develop product in the Metro Boston area, which is hard to find.

ConsNot much room for advancement within Product Development. Much patience needed in dealing with multiple management teams. Poor morale is commonplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementCultivate your team members so you can promote from within. Listen to your team members. They know more than you think.

Great company with a tried and true business model

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time for more than 10 years

ProsVery successful relationship-oriented company that values employee contributions; business model is rock solid yet company is constantly looking for ways to keep innovative and in remain a growth mode; diligence, effort and longevity is appreciated; people are passionate about their work and the business

ConsDue to perpetual success decisions tend to be made slowly; new ideas take time to hold; often good talent is lost due to the extended amount of time it takes to build trust

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to respect and value the contributions of tenured employees yet become more open to considering diversity of though with newer employees

A terrible company for a grown person to work for any length of time.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time for more than 10 years

ProsEasy to get a few extra hours, but scheduling is impossible. About the only good thing is that you get a discount for their goods.

ConsThis is a terrible place to work. Management treats of the employees only as another class of goods to be dealt with as needed. Life at the corporate level may be great, but at the retail level it is impossible. Benefits are always getting worse. Stay long enough and they will stop giving you raises, telling you that you have hit the ceiling regardless of how high your reviews may be. Their newest tricks are two: first they are trying to get all employees to sign binding arbitration agreements waiving the employees rights to sue the company for their many abuses. You would no longer be able to sue for back wages, discrimination or poor working conditions. The company has been killed by successful suits in the past and they do not want to be forced to pay for their own misdeeds! Second, in some districts they are trying to force employees to not take vacations during the summer. Workers with families are getting squeezed here more than ever.

Look at their poor 401(k) plan. Their level of matching and contributions is laughable for such a large and profitable corporation. Then they send you quarterly statements showing you where you may be at retirement, but these projections are based upon almost impossible criteria and have almost zero chance of being reached. Smoke and mirrors my friends, they make everything look good with smoke and mirrors.

Bottom line, unless you are on the fast track to corporate, steer clear of this place. it will eat you up and you will have nothing to show for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your ways and fast. The unions will be at the door soon and you will lose the ability to heard the sheep about. After losing that sit against your assistant managers, they too may form a union. The funny thing is that the staff actually wants to work hard but can not. The company does not give any bonus money to staff below assistant managers. Why should they work to improve anything when they get no benefit from it.

Worked for TJX Companies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TJX Companies reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for TJX Companies CEO Carol M. Meyrowitz. All 315 reviews are posted anonymously by TJX Companies employees.