TJ Maxx Reviews

Updated 22 September, 2014
3.1

TJ Maxx President & CEO Carol Meyrowitz
Carol Meyrowitz

Pros
  • Flexible schedule for students and they allowed you to limit shifts if needed (in 33 reviews)

• Flexible hours with nice managers (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Every time I received a raise, it was cancelled out when minimum wage was increased (in 48 reviews)

• They expect excellent work and PUSH for you to get credit cards, but with no reward (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

Fantastic work environment great management

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate  in  Florence, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Florence, KY (US)

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time for more than a year

Pros

Its great to work for tj maxx they work with almost any schedule and are very open to where if you have a problem its very easy to come to them about it. they offer annual reviews which determine raises. hours are within reason for a retail store ours was 9:30am to 9:30pm. excellent training and a very charitable company there is always some kind of charity event going on and also people often bring in food or will order pizza for the employees.

Cons

the work life balance can be difficult because i did not have a set schedule but they work well with varying schedules such as school and other jobs.
    i found my store to be a tad sexist towards men who work there no men will ever work in the womens department, rarely jewelry, and never ever in the fitting room so your only option is mens & kids or the home department.
    the hours were slightly strange the most common shift was 5:00pm to 9:45pm they leave 15 minutes for time to close.

let male employees work other areas the same area can quickly become stale and coordinate the training a little better people often will teach completely different things but this was being improved on when i left.

Wonderful!

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Ypsilanti, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Ypsilanti, MI (US)

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time for less than a year

Pros

They're not a union, so you don't get BS union taxes pulled out of your paycheck. You actually get the amount you probably work for. The management is so lovely. They care about their employees and their pay checks. Also, they feed you a lot. At my TJ Maxx, they had a lot of holiday parties and random pot lucks. A great first job, and I should have stuck with it for a very long time.

Cons

Very slow, so sometimes boring and not much to do.

N/A

The typical retail company that has little respect for its workers.

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate  in  Coralville, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Coralville, IA (US)

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time for less than a year

Pros

This was my first job, and this was the first company that I applied to that responded to me. They are likely to hire inexperienced workers and give them experience to take with them. Working here gave me something to put on my resume.

Cons

In exchange for hiring inexperienced workers, the company pays barely above minimum wage for a store associate position and frequently does not raise the pay of the trained workers who have earned higher pay than they actually receive. In addition to this, the managers have little respect for their employees' well-being; the main focus is on the amount of money the managers make and the company makes. As an employee who actually did my job well, I received too little credit and too much stress for the amount of money I was working and the position I worked.

Treat your employees with more respect and you might not have a turn over rate as high as you do.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disorganized and Lack of Communication

Current Employee - Merchandise/Sales Associate  in  Bel Air, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Merchandise/Sales Associate in Bel Air, MD (US)

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time for more than a year

Pros

- Very flexible with schedules and understanding when not available.
    - Easy to get hired
    - Good seasonal job for a high school student.

Cons

- Very small chance of advancing in the store if applying for a part-time position.
    - Associates are not trained properly in the different departments making it more difficult for other associates that know the department to clean, organize, and make the store presentable.
    - Very few people know Layaway and Jewelry.
    - Trucks deliver merchandise 5 days a week (Monday-Friday), but around Christmas will change to 7 days a week with various items in different quantity, making it difficult for the small amount of people working each day to put the multiple amount of items on the sales floor in a timely manner.
    - Associates are called to empty the fitting room and service desk of merchandise often, but associates rarely respond because of the multiple tasks they are expected to complete before their shift ends.
    - Breaks are scheduled and are rarely given at the scheduled time unless the associate is a minor, mainly because the Front End Coordinator lost track of time, or there was no one to cover the position of the associate that needed to go on break because of lack of training in employees. Occasionally a 15 minute break will be forgotten or not given to an associate because of the amount of work that still needs to be done.
    - Associates never leave the store at the closing time of the store if they have a closing shift. It is possible to stay at least 30 minutes after store closing depending on how disorganized the store is and how efficiently the associates can work to straighten everything.
    - Rules and guidelines change often making it difficult to learn the already recently changed rule, such as asking for the credit card a certain way, or how to answer the phone when a customer calls.
    - Getting a full time position when the associate is currently a part time is rare.
    - Store cannot afford to have many people working during the day because of payroll making the job more demanding when less people are working during a day with very few associates.

- Managers need to follow the same rules as each other, Each manager has a different set of rules making it difficult for any associate to understand what needs to be the priority.
    - Managers need to understand that the store is disorganized not only by customers, but the associates who don't know what their doing because they were not properly trained.
    - Managers need to understand

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Syracuse, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Syracuse, NY (US)

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly Staff, easy money, and new clothes all of the time! Various weekends with higher discounts and staff really does get 1st pick of merchandise.

Cons

Grumpy upper management, made minimum wage (lowest salary I have ever made in my 4 years of retail), slow growth within company. No one inspired to work hard because no incentive and poor work environment

Happier employees to start...hire out a positive team and keep everything going up from there. Also don't be so stingy with the pay, sales associates literally make nothing and I made more money as a sales associate at other companies then most coordinators who have been there for 17 years do!

Employed for 3 years; YET to receive a dollar raise

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate  in  Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Positive work environment
    Love my coworkers
    Easy retail compared to the mall
    Flexible and work around your schedule

Cons

NO HOURS
    LOW PAY
    UNNECESSARY PRESSURE.

I have been an employee with them for three years. I average about 12 hours a week as a part timer even though Im available 5 days a week any time during the day. I cannot stress how horrific the hours are considering it is retail. A quarter raise once a year if youre lucky, but nothing more. OH and every one gets their raise at the same time so there is a good chance you might be getting your annual raise four or six months late. 20 hours a week is the maximum you will ever receive being that they are always hiring to keep a certain amount of employees staffed EVEN THOUGH THEY CANNOT GIVE HOURS TO THEIR CURRENT ONES. If youre a cashier expect the pressure on opening store credit cards (with a 36% interest rate) to customers. After a year it will get tedious. Their turnover rate at my store is ridiculous. Its a good temporary job but people dont stay long, unless theyre stuck in a rut like myself.

If youre trying to get any retail job please..... consider somewhere else and dont waste your time. $16 billlion dollar company with the oldest systems; they dont care about you.

Do better. Start caring about your employees and stop forcing sales down their throat.

Good company to gain experience in customer service especially for those who rein school.

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Friendly environment and really enjoy the people I work with. Associate contests and prizes for being top performer.

Cons

Company at times seems to take customers view over the associates, even if the associate is going by company policy. Advancement opportunities aren't frequent.

Quit overriding the associates who have been there for a long time just to pacify a customer who is clearly wrong.

T.J Maxx

I have been working at TJ Maxx

Pros

fun people to work with

Cons

horrible management and no orgaination

not enough hours but working with great people

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate/Cashier  in  Brooklyn Park, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate/Cashier in Brooklyn Park, MN (US)

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time for more than a year

Pros

nice people to work with, good company to gain experience

Cons

low pay, only could work part time, not enough hours given

Retail

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate  in  Lincoln, NE (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Lincoln, NE (US)

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time for less than a year

Pros

"There is a lot of team work. Coworkers are amazing. getting to meet people from all walks of life is really amazing."

Cons

"There is no consistency in terms of what one is supposed to do on a day -to- day basis . paying people minimum wage doesn't encourage employees at all. Discount sucks. Rarely recognize those employees giving there best."

Patience is key here. It's an okay place to learn how to deal with people.

Worked for TJ Maxx? Contribute to the Community!