TJ Maxx Reviews

Updated 23 October, 2014
3.1

TJ Maxx President & CEO Carol Meyrowitz
Carol Meyrowitz

Pros
  • Flexible schedule for students and they allowed you to limit shifts if needed (in 36 reviews)

• Flexible hours, okay environment, some nice people, and okay employee discount (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Every time I received a raise, it was cancelled out when minimum wage was increased (in 53 reviews)

• They expect excellent work and PUSH for you to get credit cards, but with no reward (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

Not too strenuous

Former Employee - Custodial
    Former Employee - Custodial

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The job was laid back at times

Cons

You spend a good amount of time on your feet

Better choices at choosing certain employees for certain duties

They need to be more real to their employees about when situations arise.

I have been working at TJ Maxx full-time

Pros

Hours ( when they had them to give....even for full time), Scheduling.

Cons

Work environment, working moral, management is lazy and does not play as a team with the associates. The management as well has bad attitudes and finds any personal reason to fire someone. Also there policies on "steeling" is not adequate to fir able offenses. A mistake make by another employees incompetence got someone fired for the other persons mistake and it wasn't brought up until far in the future. Occurrences should be brought to the attention of employees at the time of the incident not later when it can be used against them. The employer should reprimand and correct the issue instead of making it a one shot deal.
    Overall if you want to work in retail , don't work for them , at least in the state of California. Your management won't care and you will be worked like a dog for little pay. Also there is no room for mistakes and little training development takes place.
    Also on the interview ask for more than what they offer. more people should do that with every job.

Learn to actual take into account that your employees are people not objects. They are the back bone in your company. They should be given better benefits and a higher discount. Also to have more developmental training programs.

A decent start to a retail career

Current Employee - Customer Experience Coordinator (CEC)
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Coordinator (CEC)

I have been working at TJ Maxx full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Associate discount, some flexibility with scheduling. The work can be fun if you're put in the right department, but don't count on that unless you're full time.

Cons

Assistant managers will micromanage everything you do. Constantly selling high-interest credit cards and getting reprimanded if you don't ask every customer. 4 different charity drives on top of credit card sales. Very low pay for the work expected, benefits are extremely expensive for more than one person.

Offer a better starting wage-10 cents over the minimum wage is not really a selling point. Take care of micromanagement-most of us don't need to be checked up on every five minutes or to have our hand held through a transaction. Change the surveys to reflect an average of the customers experience and don't penalize us if the customer doesn't put highly satisfied on the survey since. 4s should count as well as 5s.

TJ Maxx is great if you know the members of management!

Current Employee - Customer Experience Coordinator (CEC) in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Coordinator (CEC) in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at TJ Maxx full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The environment in the store is constantly changing - whether it's new employees or new merchandise, there's something new to look forward to each time you come to work. Discount is 10% - sometimes 20% on special employee discount days. Great insight to beginning in retail. Ability to grow (if you're friendly with the management and good at your job). Decent wages - nothing that isn't expected. Salary (aka hours that can be scheduled in a given week) gets cut at certain times of the year but that's nothing new in the retail world but the amount of hours is still decent. Great health insurance benefits for full time employees.

Cons

The managers have to like you for you to get a decent schedule and sometimes it can be hard to get days off. I wish the discount was bigger! The occasional rude customer puts a damper on everyone's mood.

More incentives for TJX Rewards cards - maybe $$ for each employee that gets one. $3/rewards or something - instead of giving it to the store?

Good job while in school

Current Employee - Cross Trained Associate in Kalispell, MT (US)
    Current Employee - Cross Trained Associate in Kalispell, MT (US)

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours, okay environment, some nice people, and okay employee discount.

Cons

Managers don't always show integrity, can be unnecessarily rude, high turnover rate, and will higher almost anyone including alcoholics (occasionally tipsy at work) and perverts.

Stop preaching about integrity while you show none, don't yelling at us to ask everyone to sign up for a dumb rewards credit card, don't promote idiots that steal money or quit within a month, and stop being mad if my college hours decrease my work availability.

Get to see things first

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Best pro is being able to see the new things coming into the store and being able to have first pick. Get paid every Friday and the ability to cash your check at the cashier is awesome!

Cons

They really expect a lot of work and only pay flat line minimum. On your feet the entire time, only get a 15 minute break.

Have a better break room, you expect employees to work like slaves, at least provide a nice break room.

Positive Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Commack, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Commack, NY (US)

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time

Pros

10% sometimes 20% discounts
    Friendly customer service
    Employees feel appreciated
    Everyone is treated equally which leads to great culture and increased morale in the workplace (no favoritism)
    Paid vacation and personal time
    Easy to get promoted to the top
    Great quality and selection of merchandise
    No "empty promises"
    Hours are flexible

Cons

Nothing wrong about working here

Keep up the good work!

My overall experience has been positive.

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Specialist in Evansville, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Specialist in Evansville, IN (US)

I have been working at TJ Maxx full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are opportunities for advancement. The benefits package they offer is one of the best I have ever had.

Cons

It requires a lot of flexibility and you put in a ton of hours.

retail, pricing, inventory, cash transactions, zoning, hanging, proper sensoring on merchandise,

Current Employee - Cashier in Newnan, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Newnan, GA (US)

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time (less than an year)

Pros

everyone in the working environment works together as a team and it makes your job easier

Cons

when customers try to make returns of items that don't belong to our store and having to let them know that we are not able to take it can sometimes be a problem because the customer will sometimes pick an argument with u and if it gets out of hand then definitely call a manager to take over

they treat all employees fear I love working with them

TJ Maxx gave me the chance at a career.

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at TJ Maxx full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Open communication; 45-50 hour work week; Unlimited potential for advancement; Recognition of hard work, motivation and determination.

Cons

Moving from Merch Manager to Operations Manager is considered a lateral move, even though it comes with a lot more responsibilities, so it doesn't come with a pay increase.

All in all, my experience with TJ Maxx has been very positive. Most co-workers have been very agreeable and the work environment makes leaving my family every day bearable. Given the opportunity, I can see myself making great advancements within the company. Thank you for the opportunity!

TJ Maxx Photos