TJ Maxx Reviews

Updated 28 September, 2014
3.1

TJ Maxx President & CEO Carol Meyrowitz
Carol Meyrowitz

Pros
  • Fun atmosphere with great people, flexible schedule to work around school etc (in 36 reviews)

• Flexible hours, okay environment, some nice people, and okay employee discount (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Every time I received a raise, it was cancelled out when minimum wage was increased (in 52 reviews)

• They expect excellent work and PUSH for you to get credit cards, but with no reward (in 41 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Culture, positive employees and management

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very easy scheduling. Able to work the times of the day that seem to be the best for each employee.

Cons

the reason for easy scheduling is because there many part time employees. So during non peak periods of the year the hours are cut quite a bit.

My experience has been with the store management which is awesome.

My time here requires too much work for so little money.

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate  in  Kennesaw, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Kennesaw, GA (US)

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good company values
    Decent shift arrangements

Cons

Poor communication
    Only know when you work 2 weeks in advance, so it's hard to plan if you have another job

Use social media to post work schedules.

" TJMAXX is a choice if you want to be a full time student, but still be employed."

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate  in  La Canada, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in La Canada, CA (US)

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Employees chose their working hours as they want it to be. All employees also get 10% off at all TJX company stores(TJ MAXX, Marshalls, Homegoods) all the time, and once in a while it increases to 20%.

Cons

You work for the minimum wage. No matter how hard you work that is all you make, minimum wage. The wage increases every year, but it is so little that you cannot see any difference on your pay check.

Try to get more hours for your workers. Since five years ago that I started working for the company, you kept cutting the hours of your employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful!

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Ypsilanti, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Ypsilanti, MI (US)

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time for less than a year

Pros

They're not a union, so you don't get BS union taxes pulled out of your paycheck. You actually get the amount you probably work for. The management is so lovely. They care about their employees and their pay checks. Also, they feed you a lot. At my TJ Maxx, they had a lot of holiday parties and random pot lucks. A great first job, and I should have stuck with it for a very long time.

Cons

Very slow, so sometimes boring and not much to do.

N/A

The typical retail company that has little respect for its workers.

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate  in  Coralville, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Coralville, IA (US)

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time for less than a year

Pros

This was my first job, and this was the first company that I applied to that responded to me. They are likely to hire inexperienced workers and give them experience to take with them. Working here gave me something to put on my resume.

Cons

In exchange for hiring inexperienced workers, the company pays barely above minimum wage for a store associate position and frequently does not raise the pay of the trained workers who have earned higher pay than they actually receive. In addition to this, the managers have little respect for their employees' well-being; the main focus is on the amount of money the managers make and the company makes. As an employee who actually did my job well, I received too little credit and too much stress for the amount of money I was working and the position I worked.

Treat your employees with more respect and you might not have a turn over rate as high as you do.

Disorganized and Lack of Communication

Current Employee - Merchandise/Sales Associate  in  Bel Air, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Merchandise/Sales Associate in Bel Air, MD (US)

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time for more than a year

Pros

- Very flexible with schedules and understanding when not available.
    - Easy to get hired
    - Good seasonal job for a high school student.

Cons

- Very small chance of advancing in the store if applying for a part-time position.
    - Associates are not trained properly in the different departments making it more difficult for other associates that know the department to clean, organize, and make the store presentable.
    - Very few people know Layaway and Jewelry.
    - Trucks deliver merchandise 5 days a week (Monday-Friday), but around Christmas will change to 7 days a week with various items in different quantity, making it difficult for the small amount of people working each day to put the multiple amount of items on the sales floor in a timely manner.
    - Associates are called to empty the fitting room and service desk of merchandise often, but associates rarely respond because of the multiple tasks they are expected to complete before their shift ends.
    - Breaks are scheduled and are rarely given at the scheduled time unless the associate is a minor, mainly because the Front End Coordinator lost track of time, or there was no one to cover the position of the associate that needed to go on break because of lack of training in employees. Occasionally a 15 minute break will be forgotten or not given to an associate because of the amount of work that still needs to be done.
    - Associates never leave the store at the closing time of the store if they have a closing shift. It is possible to stay at least 30 minutes after store closing depending on how disorganized the store is and how efficiently the associates can work to straighten everything.
    - Rules and guidelines change often making it difficult to learn the already recently changed rule, such as asking for the credit card a certain way, or how to answer the phone when a customer calls.
    - Getting a full time position when the associate is currently a part time is rare.
    - Store cannot afford to have many people working during the day because of payroll making the job more demanding when less people are working during a day with very few associates.

- Managers need to follow the same rules as each other, Each manager has a different set of rules making it difficult for any associate to understand what needs to be the priority.
    - Managers need to understand that the store is disorganized not only by customers, but the associates who don't know what their doing because they were not properly trained.
    - Managers need to understand

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Syracuse, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Syracuse, NY (US)

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly Staff, easy money, and new clothes all of the time! Various weekends with higher discounts and staff really does get 1st pick of merchandise.

Cons

Grumpy upper management, made minimum wage (lowest salary I have ever made in my 4 years of retail), slow growth within company. No one inspired to work hard because no incentive and poor work environment

Happier employees to start...hire out a positive team and keep everything going up from there. Also don't be so stingy with the pay, sales associates literally make nothing and I made more money as a sales associate at other companies then most coordinators who have been there for 17 years do!

Great job for a college or High school student

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate  in  Walker, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Walker, MI (US)

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Easy work, great hours at christmas time, super flexible with school schedule, management was great!

Cons

Low pay, some employees are lazy, no room to really move up, hours outside of Christmas time are not so great. Hours were cut all the time.

No opportunity for advancement and no development available

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Peoria, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Peoria, IL (US)

I worked at TJ Maxx full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Salary was not bad,

Cons

growth and development was not option

Have real destination plans for managers

Employed for 3 years; YET to receive a dollar raise

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate  in  Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Positive work environment
    Love my coworkers
    Easy retail compared to the mall
    Flexible and work around your schedule

Cons

NO HOURS
    LOW PAY
    UNNECESSARY PRESSURE.

I have been an employee with them for three years. I average about 12 hours a week as a part timer even though Im available 5 days a week any time during the day. I cannot stress how horrific the hours are considering it is retail. A quarter raise once a year if youre lucky, but nothing more. OH and every one gets their raise at the same time so there is a good chance you might be getting your annual raise four or six months late. 20 hours a week is the maximum you will ever receive being that they are always hiring to keep a certain amount of employees staffed EVEN THOUGH THEY CANNOT GIVE HOURS TO THEIR CURRENT ONES. If youre a cashier expect the pressure on opening store credit cards (with a 36% interest rate) to customers. After a year it will get tedious. Their turnover rate at my store is ridiculous. Its a good temporary job but people dont stay long, unless theyre stuck in a rut like myself.

If youre trying to get any retail job please..... consider somewhere else and dont waste your time. $16 billlion dollar company with the oldest systems; they dont care about you.

Do better. Start caring about your employees and stop forcing sales down their throat.

TJ Maxx Photos

Front of the store
Inside the store
Inside the store

+ Add Photo

Worked for TJ Maxx? Contribute to the Community!