TIBCO Software

TIBCO Software Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

TIBCO Software Chairman, President, and CEO Vivek Y. Ranadivé

Vivek Y. Ranadivé

Pros:
  • "good work-life balance (may be this depends on which team you work for)"
    in 16 reviews
  • "Even though TIBCO is such a large company, the work environment is a lot like a start-up"
    in 21 reviews
Cons:
  • "Some roles are particularly demanding, so work-life balance is not always achievable"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Senior Management is "taken care of" which is clear from company reports and company "filings""
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

TIBCO's future growth curve is fantastic - extremely well positioned for success

Country Manager (Current Employee)
Toronto, ON

I have been working at TIBCO Software full-time for less than a year

Pros-Extensive international roster of customers across key verticals like Financial Services, Retail, Transportation, Oil & Gas
-Continuously evolving leading edge portfolio of solutions through R&D and key acquisitions
-Great track record of delivering solutions that Companies rely on everyday to successfully run thier businesses

Cons-Only want A-players - the bar is high

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to raise the bar - it is working. Customers, analysts and A-players are all noticing.

There is a nail in the tire. Air is hissing out. Soon it will be flat.

Senior Solutions Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at TIBCO Software full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere are some very clever people at TIBCO, some of the smartest and best that I have ever worked with in my entire career. Some of the products work very well.

ConsTIBCO wishes to become a 2 billion dollar company. Unfortunately, they continue to do the same things, yet expect vastly different results. There are many, many structural problems that will cause TIBCO to fail in the next few years:
1) Sales. The sales force and sales model is very, very broken. The market was advised of TIBCO's sales execution problems in recent quarters. Were there? Of course. Was it the responsibility of the VP's and SVP's who were fired? No. The reason for the execution problems were that in Q3 and Q4 of 2012, TIBCO's executive committee decided to not pay out commissions to many sales teams, several of whom had brought in seven and eight figure deals. They used a little known escape clause in the sales plan to do so. What happens when you screw with sales people's commissions? They stop selling. And they did. That was the reason for the execution problems. EPS was made, but at the expense of the sales force.
2) Management. There is nobody at EVP level or higher who has ever worked for a large company. Check the exec bios on the website. They are TIBCO lifers, or have come in through acquisition of startups. Those who stayed have created entrenched political fifedoms, which causes rampant internal conflict between divisions. TIBCO is a collection of small, individual startups with no plans to change. That is not sustainable in a large organization.
3) Engineering. The products used to be good. Now they are a collection of acquired products, with different UI's, development languages, Admin tools, runtimes, performance characteristics etc. Becoming very disjointed, similar to the IBM and Oracle portfolios. Like IBM and Oracle, several of the products just flat out don't work, or are being replaced by newly acquired or rearchitected/replatformed tools. The product dependency matrix is becoming extremely complex.
4) Corporate. Many corporate departments (HR, marketing, IT etc) are very much an afterthought. HR is basically non-existent. No practical processes for evaluation, feedback, development, escalations, etc. They exist on paper, but are never implemented, tracked or monitored. No organization can sustain this. TIBCO is revered for being some of the worst marketers in the industry - I've witnessed SVPs and EVPs on multiple occasions claim, during executive briefings; "we suck at marketing". Which partly explains:
5) Staff. Employee morale is in the absolute toilet. Overworked employees, exasperated management, and screwed over sales people are leaving in droves.
6) CEO. The CEO appears to be more interested in his new celebrity status as owner of an NBA franchise, than running the company. Time to bow out Vivek, you've had a great run, but your heart isn't in this game anymore. The recent user conference was a prime example of this, where many of the keynotes were about basketball, not software.
7) Strategy. The cloud is the disruptive business model, that will kill the traditional license/maintenance model, and TIBCO is way, way behind the curve on this. Installing your software on an EC2 image and giving it a different name does not constitute a cloud offering.

Advice to Senior ManagementVivek, it's time to go. Bring in someone from the outside, who has experience running a large, 2+ billion company, who values the sales force, and let them clean house. Bring all of product engineering together under one roof, and start building consistency among products. Develop, fund, and enable your internal corporate departments. Show up to corporate all-hands calls, and provide some actual leadership and guidance. Provide feedback to your employees, set common goals, and reward them when met. High performing employees who haven't had even a COL increase in years, despite record quarters are not happy employees. Figure out how to lead in the cloud, because right now, you don't have a clue.

The worst company to work for bar none!!

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee)
Toronto, ON

I have been working at TIBCO Software full-time for more than a year

ProsProduct Set is great if you are looking for a technical job this could be for you or if you are related to the senior management

ConsSeniors Sales Management has no clue
Employees are treated with disrespect , I have been working for 20+ years no company remotely comes close to how mismanaged this organization is
Mid management is breaking every role possible , law suites are piling up
Bullying is rampant and part of the culture
Sales compensation is never paid. for example if you close a deal and you get X amount of commission they will offer you 50% of what you have earned and a couple of new accounts no recourse .

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease stop toying with peoples careers , get you act together, move focus from buying basketball teams to your own organization and its share holders . If you cant change that please sell the company !!
Get a decent HR division

Good company to work if you want to become tech guru

Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee)
Pune (India)

I worked at TIBCO Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros1. cutting edge technology
2.Assurance of working on new products and technology
3. Good compensation and benefits
4. If you are lucky may visit HQ in palo alto

Cons1. Seeking promotion for management role is very tough
2. You have to continuously prove that there is need of you to be in there without which you may soon become a normal person

Advice to Senior Managementneed to create opportunities for people who want to grow in higher role.

Good company to work

Technical Architect (Current Employee)
Pune (India)

I have been working at TIBCO Software full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOpen culture, smart people to work with. Good plans for growth for techie. Good work life balance. Decent compensation. Flexible in terms of working hours, work from home. Free snacks. Ping Pong and other recreational activities available.

ConsFocus on delivering quality has reduced a little over time.

Advice to Senior ManagementPresently the hiring policy is adhoc. Need to have stricter criteria before hiring individuals to ensure product deliverables meet quality standards that can enable it to stay ahead of the competiton.

Awesome culture

I have been working at TIBCO Software part-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe company is great and has awesome culture ,friendly atmosphere and provides opportunity for growth.

ConsThe company needs to innovate on new products and shift directions towards growth.

Excellent People, Great Products

I have been working at TIBCO Software full-time

ProsEveryone is extremely knowledgeable and dedicated. You have the opportunity here to work on very big and interesting solutions. The company is big enough to compete with anybody, but small enough that it is possible to move quicker and be more responsive to customers. Also, best corporate cafeteria ever!

ConsDevelopment teams are geographically dispersed, often making it difficult to coordinate across time zones. Engineering is under-staffed relative to the product goals set forth.

Great place to work

I have been working at TIBCO Software full-time for more than a year

Prosgreat people, innovative products, lots of learning opportunities

Consemployee benefits could be better

Nice place to work

Senior Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee)
Palo Alto, CA (US)

I have been working at TIBCO Software full-time for more than a year

Proswork culture is great and easy going, people are friendly and they help each other, cafeteria is good, also has all other facilities on the site like gym and recreation sportes. Some smart people work here and they are willing to guide

Consdelay in hiring, should hire people quickly. higher management sometimes does not take proper decision on the right time and loose good people for work.

Advice to Senior Managementmore aggressive on new tech

TIBCO is a great company to work for!

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
Brussels (Belgium)

I have been working at TIBCO Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- TIBCO has really cool and fantastic products, so for technical people who want to learn and grow, it's a great place to be with a lot of opportunities.
- People in TIBCO are very skilled and share their knowledge, which again helps other people grow and learn.
- In Europe teams are smaller, which makes it easy to get a good working relationship with colleagues and management.
- The management structure is pretty flat which makes direct communication with management possible.
- Strong sense of independence among employees. You manage your own work and schedule as much as possible.
- Great events and training opportunities.

Cons- Some flexibility is required in terms of work location as you need to be on client site.
- Travel can be required (but can be fun as well so in my opinion not always negative - this depends on your own preference).

Advice to Senior Management- Try and find a way to compensate the inconveniences of travel for work. Many other companies have interesting arrangements for this.

Worked for TIBCO Software? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TIBCO Software reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for TIBCO Software CEO Vivek Y. Ranadivé. All 327 reviews are posted anonymously by TIBCO Software employees.