TASC

TASC Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

TASC President and Chief Executive Officer John Hynes

John Hynes

Pros
  • TASC also recognizes work-life balance is important to employee retention(in 4 reviews)

• TASC still has a lot of good people and plenty of interesting work(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Since the divestment from Northrop Grumman TASC has lost its identity(in 9 reviews)

• Senior management was usually promoted from within or at least came with a government background(in 6 reviews)

Great company until defense budget cuts started affecting the company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPaid well
    Good work
    Co-workers very helpful
    Good benefits

ConsDefense budget cuts started affecting the company
    Layoffs due to cutbacks

Advice to Senior ManagementTry getting more state and local contracts

Waste of time

Systems Engineer IV (Former Employee) Annapolis, MD (US)

ProsExceptional workforce who are willing to try new ideas, methodologies and create new tools

ConsHorrible, out of touch, ever changing management. In the 4 years I worked for this company I had 19! managers. The HR department doesn't know what they doing. Constantly losing large contracts (and we were the incumbents on them!). Slashed benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart selling the company to someone who can actually get the work and keep people employed.

Does not pay on time

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNone, None, None and None.

ConsDoes not pay on time and blames client.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good group of people, poor atmosphere

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Madison, WI (US)

ProsI really enjoyed a lot of the people i worked with. Lower level management was great and I really enjoyed my direct coworkers.

ConsThe higher up the management chain, the more painful they were to work with. In the end it came down to company regulations and rules before people. Due to being self-taught, i was doing the same level work of my peers but i was being paid 1/4 to 1/3 that they were. This was due to company guidelines that were non-negotiable.

TASC used to be a great place to work because of the strength of its top calibur employees needed to fill the contracts

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsAlthough benefits, especially for long-timers (>10 years), have been cut substantially, they do appear to be somewhat on par with competitors. But it doesn't allow TASC to be a standout for benefits any longer.

ConsTASC obviously has to change in accordance with the changing environment around it in the defense and intel world, however it is very disappointing the direction in which it has been heading. All of the SME's that have made TASC so great and sought after on contract awards have either left or have been let go. It's sad to see the company now focused more on the bottom line than on the employees who are CRITICAL to success. It gets tiring to hear town hall briefings that tell employees to "get off the bench and get in the game" instead of "thank you for the hard work and riding out these difficult times with us".

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be good to find some sort of balance in this changing environment where TASC could get back to the old model again where focus is on employees. TASC used to be great and employees loved working there.

TASC has been a competent employer with declining benefits, like many of its competitors.

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Chantilly, VA (US)

ProsThere are a wide variety of very interesting assignments, with potential for travel if that's what you want. TASC will pay for degree- or certificate-related coursework. TASC complies with all laws regarding EEOC, overetime, etc., and generally has sane management.

ConsTASC has reorganized 5 times since I started work in2002, which means a lot of turbulence in the chain of command. Benefits have been shrinking steadily since I joined TASC in 2002, due largely to the competitive landscape in a shrinking Federal budget. TASC will not pay for upgrade training that does not lead to a certificate or degree. The maximum total of vacation and sick leave is 4 weeks no matter what your years with the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry not to reorganize for 5 years. Find some way to allow more senior employees to less than full time. Find some way to allow more than 4 weeks combined vacation and sick leave.

Great place

Manager (Former Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsGreat place to work Dependent on government contracts.

ConsDependent on vagaries of government contracts.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot any.

Just OK

Information Assurance Engineer (Current Employee) Chantilly, VA (US)

ProsGood variety of jobs and customers, great education benefits, some nice people and flexible schedules.

ConsBenefits have been slashed, used to be great but are now just average and may get worse.

Advice to Senior ManagementCutting vacation time when all the other benefits were reduced was very difficult on employees.

2 years as a systems engineer

Systems Engineer IV (Former Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsGreat team spirit! Good benefits. Interesting work. Leadership there at middle levels, but team mostly working independently. Pay comparable to similar type and level at other companies in area.

ConsBureaucracy at upper levels, causing errors in benefits management to be ignored if "only a few" employees affected. Ambiguity about "extra" hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to multiple complaints and help to motivate middle management to make needed changes.

Good opportunity for new graduates

Software Developer (Former Employee) Reading, MA (US)

ProsGood opportunity for someone just out of college. Good exposure to government contracts.

ConsI worked at TASC for 10 years. I was there during the transition from TASC to Primark and then to Northrop Grumman. The best years were when it was still TASC. After the Primark acquisition, it was downhill. No upward mobility, stagnant technology, low wages, no raises. Old boy network prevailed.

Advice to Senior ManagementLike most of the reviewers, I admonish you to look within for promotable people if you want the good ones to stay. Try and make it back into the company Art and Harry created. Vibrant, necessary, respected.

Worked for TASC? Contribute to the Community!